34 Comments
Posted by Undeadpool

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Ronald said:

The only off thing about who may or may not survive the next console cycle is that Sony has so many exclusive games to help them out. Microsoft has turned most of their studios into Kinect of Avatar creators so we don't get Rare games anymore, we get more Avatars and Kinect Sports. Meanwhile, Naughty Dog has Last of Us and more than likely has their Uncharted team working on a next gen game, whether that's more Nathan Drake or a new IP for the new console, which is what they usually have done every generation.

Microsoft does kill it on XBLA exclusives though and they are ramping up first party stuff for next gen. They started up a few different studios for this.

PS does put forth a lot of effort, not saying they don't, but next gen will probably be a whole different story than the end of this gen.

The sad truth is: that Avatar/Kinect stuff is probably outselling the likes of Infamous (though probably NOT Uncharted).

And you don't necessarily need exclusives when a few of the highest selling games on the planet are sold on your console by a WIDE majority.

Posted by dungbootle

First time listener. I'm hooked.

Edited by InfiniteStateMachine

Funny you guys were talking about how it's weird no one has remade Nam1975

I thought the same thing and remade it myself in flash. Although I mixed in some bullet hell and I downgraded the graphics considerably :p

You can play it here

http://levelism.com/lil-commando-episode-1/

Posted by GasparNolasco

Respect for the programmers that turn boring numbers and code into magic in our videogames!

Posted by sprsk

@mrfluke: Yeah, I had to tweak things a little on the fly due to some knob fiddling, should be ok for next episode though! Sorry about your ears.

Thanks for the info!

Posted by Pabba

Fantasy Life sounds really fantastic! Can we get a U.S. release date for it (and AC: New Leaf!) sooner than later? If they don't come out in 2013, I fear they won't ever come out. :/

Edited by Bartman3010

For Unity programming tutorials, you may want to check out this page from the Walker Boys: http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

It offers fairly detailed tutorials for Unity even if you're a beginner, and it can get you familiar with how Unity works, how programming logic works and importing assets to your game. If you're unable to create assets for your game, they offer pre-made graphics, sounds and more. They're also a couple of developers from Terminal Reality.

Posted by Lorbst

check lukemorse on youtube, he has a pretty in depth look at the neogeo x and he is not impressed.

Edited by Dan_CiTi

Fantasy Life used to have Mother 3-like graphics(slightly higher-res because it was on DS), though for gameplay it sounds the 3D polygonal is better. I hope it coms out in the US ASAP.

Posted by TripMasterMunky

When will Jeff get a NEO GEO X?

Posted by Agent_Eli

Super psyched to hear that the 8-4 crew is going to talk more about Dark Souls. I'm going to follow everyone on teh Twitterz and see if anyone gets to a point of frustration in the game.

I love that game so much.

Edited by Goblin

Hating on bronies, eh? That's fresh.

MLP allegiance aside, Fighting is Magic is still the most interesting game on that list, IMHO. Although still in development by a small independent team, there is some serious fighting game talent behind it and I'd say it's shaping up to be a more than competent competitor on the 2D fighting scene. Kinda like a Melty Blood... but with ponies.

Posted by mrfluke

loving this podcast, but yea, check your mic levels next time

Posted by dropabombonit

This will be a great reward for when I get my essay finished today

Posted by ParamedicFoetus

Great 'cast as usual! Kinda tempted by the Neo Geo X now though

Posted by mrfluke

fucking hell guys, check your mic levels, i felt like i almost went deaf in the beginning.

Posted by abara

stoked to listen to you guys talk about Fantasy Life, I've already put 25 hours in and still totally hooked!! damn that game is addictive

Edited by Draxyle

Oh jeez, the dialogue from the infamous keynote speech at the end. Human beings could not have constructed that.

Fantastic podcast. It's certainly going to be an exciting year for gaming, for good and for bad. And Fantasy Life sounds pretty interesting; hopefully that makes its way across the sea.

Posted by SatelliteOfLove

This podcast has gone according to Keikaku (editors note: "keikaku" means "plan").

Posted by MeatSim

I just learned what several Japanese word's mean today!

Posted by ArtisanBreads

@Ronald said:

The only off thing about who may or may not survive the next console cycle is that Sony has so many exclusive games to help them out. Microsoft has turned most of their studios into Kinect of Avatar creators so we don't get Rare games anymore, we get more Avatars and Kinect Sports. Meanwhile, Naughty Dog has Last of Us and more than likely has their Uncharted team working on a next gen game, whether that's more Nathan Drake or a new IP for the new console, which is what they usually have done every generation.

Microsoft does kill it on XBLA exclusives though and they are ramping up first party stuff for next gen. They started up a few different studios for this.

PS does put forth a lot of effort, not saying they don't, but next gen will probably be a whole different story than the end of this gen.

Posted by ChrisTaran

New 8-4? Yes please!

Posted by Ronald

Posted by VicRattlehead

im completely with the crowd that love nsmbu i love the world map, the game looks fantastic, secret exits and star coins can be hard to track down, some of the levels and bosses can be hard (ive already had multiple green blocks show up), the miiverse stuff is cool and the time attack challenge mode is awesome. I skipped the 3ds game so that might be why I don't hate it as much as some and why I think it doesn't get the love it deserves but i do think in years to come it'll be regarded as one of marios best

Edited by Christoffer

For some damned foul reason I hurted with laughter when they said "PC curious". You made me hurtin'.

Great episode, japan people. I'm a bit bummed hearing about all those games I will never ever have the means to play (Fantasy Life for example). But still, here's hoping Mark will do an Encyclopedia Bombastica some day.

Posted by RetroVirus

Starting off the new year right! Fun japan fact, I just started watching Cowboy Bebop and it is amazing. Japan fact end!

Posted by squidraid

@psylah said:

I don't see the comparison between the Nvidia Shield and the N-gage other than the poor use of N's in their names and being an underdog in the handheld market.

And by the way, Nvidia had nothing to do with making the N-gage, that was Nokia.

But the N is the best letter in the alphabet!

Posted by psylah

I don't see the comparison between the Nvidia Shield and the N-gage other than the poor use of N's in their names and being an underdog in the handheld market.

And by the way, Nvidia had nothing to do with making the N-gage, that was Nokia.

Posted by nan0fear

"YES OH MY GOSH"- Speedstackingirl voice.

Posted by Rejizzle

@squidraid said:

Work needs to stop being so damn busy so I can listen to more than 30 seconds of this at a time >_>

I'm a student during a blizzard, I have plenty of time to get drunk and listen to podcasts.

Posted by squidraid

Work needs to stop being so damn busy so I can listen to more than 30 seconds of this at a time >_>

Posted by mrfluke

@antimidas said:

Nice. Needed something to distract me from work

@Undeadpool said:

I'm still catching up with LAST week's! Can't wait to listen to this one too. I feel more Japanese just reading the deck!

these

Posted by Undeadpool

I'm still catching up with LAST week's! Can't wait to listen to this one too. I feel more Japanese just reading the deck!

Posted by antimidas

Nice. Needed something to distract me from work