254 Comments
Edited by AngriGhandi

Between 4k and Gaikai, I actually think Sony is in a perfect position to announce one of their trademark "batshit crazy next-gen pipe dreams that may or may not actually ever come to pass."

But I mean that in a good way.

Posted by insane_shadowblade85

5 minutes in and they're keeping a close eye on Brad's health. I think I'm going to really like this week's podcast more than the others, and I love me some bombcast.

Posted by Branthog

Well, THAT GOT DARK quick.

Posted by Miketakon

I'm probably in the minority here. But I enjoyed the Bombcast more when it was shorter.

Posted by BaconGames

@msavo said:

@BaconGames: I love the show but season 2 did drag on a bit.

It was lopside as hell and it was up and down with the story arcs so I can totally see that. If they had criticized it from the place of loving or even just liking season 2 I would be fine but in dismissing it I just wanted to do my part in counter-programming and recommending people watch all of it to at least see if for themselves (assuming they want to watch it at all).

Posted by JZ

The ps3 complaints are the complaints of someone that hasn't touched a ps3 in like 3 years.

Posted by Phatmac

HEY GUYS, THE PS3 SUCKS, AM I RIGHT!?!?

Posted by OmegaBahamut

Damn so much PS3 hate from the GB crew they sound like xbox fanfoys, lol

I have all the current gen consoles plus a gaming PC and love all of them, my favorite games this gen have been mainly the exclusives for each system had. The problems they seem to have with the ps3 and from past-cast the Nintendo Wii, seem irrelevant to non-existing for me. I love these guys (no homo) but it seems that a lot of the time when a comparison comes up in the consoles they side with the xbox to the point of nitpicking the others apart, I get the the xbox is their prefer console because of etc. but damn this time when they where talking how much Sony fucked up and how glorious the xbox is, they just rubbed me the wrong way (the not so fun way). they sounded like those baboons that start flame wars and they weren't even doing it for the lulz.

Edited by hollitz

The more the GB guys talk about DMC the less I know what to expect from it. I love the combat in old DMC games and I've not loved any combat that Ninja Theory has done in the past. But it sounds like there's more to the game than combat this time, so maybe I'll like it? But comparing it to Asura's Wrath just confused me even more. So am I just to expect a watered down anime story? Fuck, whatever. I'll rent it. It's a rare case that my tastes don't allign with Brad's.

Posted by MormonWarrior

@OmegaBahamut said:

Damn so much PS3 hate from the GB crew they sound like xbox fanfoys, lol

No, they sound like the sensible, general gaming dudes. They all like the PS3 just fine but the 360 is the more familiar and well thought-out system design...even years down the line the weird friends/chat/messaging problems on the PS3 are puzzling. It's not a huge deal, but it's still enough to be annoying. I mean, I have both and enjoy stuff on both but it's simply more comfortable to play games on the 360. And the way the PS3 gets totally screwed up in its video format every time you unplug it or move it is maddening.

And yet they were talking about the PC as the best gaming thing right now. So...I don't know what you're getting at. I think they just like good games in the most convenient place.

Posted by Fawkes

Ugh, how can they say the PSN store is better now? It's so awful.

Edited by blackichigo

@Fawkes: I actually like it. It could certainly open faster though.

Posted by Lelcar

warning to all vinny fans: there's is about a full hour within this podcast that vinny does not speak. during the black ops and dmc discussion.

Posted by Rahxephon91

Why weren't we going to get our Devil May Cry 5? Again it's just this uninformed talk as seen in the review(DMC was nearly dead!). DMC4 sold extremely well and the only reason the team didn't move unto 5 is because they went unto work on dragon's Dogma. It's not like Capcom had abondand the series, Dante and Vergil are in MvC3. 

Posted by Cashewual

Loving the new themesong. Also, hotdog-food or hot dogfood?

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

Your argument about the economy affecting the next gen systems is crazy, it is a premium entertainment expense, just like a iPad that flies off shelfs each year, I am betting on the next Xbox launching with Modern Warfare 4 and you will be able to play with people on 360's as well with most multiplayer games to begin with.

Edited by Scarabus

I'm glad Patrick didn't play DMC, or he would talk about its ending and how he hates everything about it.

Posted by MattClassic

@AngriGhandi said:

Between 4k and Gaikai, I actually think Sony is in a perfect position to announce one of their trademark "batshit crazy next-gen pipe dreams that may or may not actually ever come to pass."

But I mean that in a good way.

Remember when they were hyping up Cell and said that you could eventually have every appliance in your house running Cell processors in a grid so that computing workload would be dynamically distributed among all of them? That would have been rad.

Posted by Fawkes

@blackichigo: Hmm, seems like they've changed it since I last checked so that browsing for DLC isn't as much of an illogical nightmare anymore. Still not crazy about getting a huge list of every game to blindly scroll through instead of being able to pick A-F/G-L or whatever, so it still doesn't feel like an improvement over the old store.

Posted by Generic_username

Just want to say, if you do a little searching, a lot of tower defense/upgrade-based iOS games are also totally free in flash, so you can kind of get a feel for the difficulty curve beforehand. for example, I played a whole bunch of Kingdom Rush on Kongregate before hitting a wall. I play a lot of time-wasters there, and a lot have ads on them for their iOS versions. http://www.kongregate.com/games/Ironhidegames/kingdom-rush

Posted by TournamentOfHate

@Fawkes said:

Ugh, how can they say the PSN store is better now? It's so awful.

I agree, the load times are the worst and it's so hard to find what I want.

Posted by Dethfish

For probably the first time ever I decided that I would listen to the bombcast while eating dinner. So of course the first thing they talk about is eating wet, hot dog food.

Posted by JamesJeux007

Gimme that podcast !

Posted by Messier

Holy cow does Patrick like to hear himself speak. Had to stop listening at the Black Ops part, its so boring to listen to him pick apart games.

Posted by jayjonesjunior

There is a 4K demo of Gran Turismo 5 (GT5 runs originally @ 1080p 60fps)

Posted by Elktap

@Messier said:

Holy cow does Patrick like to hear himself speak. Had to stop listening at the Black Ops part, its so boring to listen to him pick apart games.

I have never actually skipped through a Bombcast before but after that Black Ops part, which I kinda just stopped listening to, and part way through what ever he was going on about afterwards I just started skipping to get past it all wanting to get back to actual Bombcast.

Posted by zenmastah

Absolutely loving the new theme song!

Posted by JZ

The fact that the voice chat stuff sucks on the ps3 is a huge plus for me. I fucking hate listening to people in online games. 90% of people don't have mics on the ps3. which leads to wonderfuly silent online play, instead of people yelling motherfucker every two seconds. The new psn store totally blows tho I can't find anything in it.

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

@JZ said:

The fact that the voice chat stuff sucks on the ps3 is a huge plus for me. I fucking hate listening to people in online games. 90% of people don't have mics on the ps3. which leads to wonderfuly silent online play, instead of people yelling motherfucker every two seconds. The new psn store totally blows tho I can't find anything in it.

Just mute everybody but your friends. It's what I do. I love voice chatting with my friends but not people I don't know.

Posted by JZ

I'm against it in general. What am I going to say? "Hey shoot that guy." I'm not into role playing field commander.

Posted by LassieME

I was eating when I started this podcast.

Edited by DedBeet

In response to Patrick playing Black Ops 2 on the gamepad: why is Nintendo awesome for allowing us to play full console games using only the gamepad but Sony was stupid for allowing us to play console type games on a handheld? *sigh* i.e. Unlike what we've been told for years, Sony's strategy was always sound, but they're implementation was flawed (mostly meaning the PSP's control scheme).

Posted by Azurath

"Well, the check cleared at the last second. Lucky for them."

Oh shit, that was hilarious.

Edited by CptBedlam

I think Patrick is overselling Kentucky Route Zero a bit as far as the "you can do everything" aspect of it goes. It just doesn't matter what answer you pick most of the time (and chosing the name of the dog is probably the decision with the biggest impact in the whole episode... because the name is on the screen all the time) and that's all there is to it. Art style and writing are magnificent though and the exploration/text adventure bits are neat, too. In the end, I still came away slightly disappointed. The episode peaks early and it's all in the QL.

Edited by Brackynews

It's quite interesting to hear the sequilitis/reboot argument of "this other game you wanted was never going to exist", yet that is exactly what happened with XCOM. They said as much during GOTY deliberations. Sure, one can say this wasn't going to exist, because we're talking about DMC and Capcom, but we now have the Textbook Example of that situation actually happening to everyone's delight. Or are people still really hyped about the XCOM FPS?

@LassieME said:

I was eating when I started this podcast.

Now you know better. ;d

[X] Start Time: 10:00

Posted by awdougherty

Good episode, enjoyed Twin Peaks coming up for a bit. My understanding was that David Lynch never wanted to solve the Laura Palmer murder and ABC pushed him into that corner with the success of the show as fans demanded an answer. I think the first season ended with Agent Cooper taking a bullet, Laura Palmer's murder got resolved early in season two, and then it spiraled out of control for a bit until cancellation threats brought Lynch back at the end to try and right the ship... it actually gets solid again near the end and I love what happens at the very end of the last episode. Plus Duchovny in drag in his pre-Mulder FBI role. Too bad the rumors about reviving Twin Peaks were just that.

As for Fire Walk With Me, I really love that film. I can't comfortably recommend it to much of anyone, but following Laura Palmer around in her last days was heartbreaking at times.

Posted by Elktap

@Brackynews: That is Patrick for you. I would be insulted if I actually cared about DMC and got that personally invested in a franchise. To say to someone that has probably been following something for 10 years that the next game is no longer for them and you just need to accept that and go somewhere else. If I was someone that involved in a franchise I would be insulted, I understand where these people are coming from even though I don't really agree with getting that involved in a franchise.

Wouldn't it make sense for them to just make some new franchise with the same mechanics and possibly style of DMC. If they are just going to use the DMC name to try and get a bit of extra money with the established name but then piss off the core fans in the process, aren't you defeating the purpose of using the name. It seemed all of the Bombcast couldn't have given two shits about DMC and it even put them off the idea of the game from the start, because they thought it was just another DMC game, until they played it. That is another reason not to use the name, people who hold no interest or dislike early DMC actively avoiding the new one because it has the name.

Edited by PulledaBrad

@Elktap said:

@Messier said:

I have never actually skipped through a Bombcast before but after that Black Ops part, which I kinda just stopped listening to, and part way through what ever he was going on about afterwards I just started skipping to get past it all wanting to get back to actual Bombcast.

Its Ryans fault for not moderating the discussion. For about 30 minutes there 3 outta 5 dudes were fucking silent. And holy shit the cast comes to screeching halt when they discuss phones games.

Posted by Elktap

@PulledaBrad: I think they left the room. It was like they took a break without actually taking a break. Brad and Vinny didn't say anything for 20 minutes or more and Ryan wasn't saying much either. It was like the Patrick and Jeff half hour.

Edited by colinjw
Posted by IzzyGraze

Definitely like the new theme song a lot better. It doesn't give me a heart attack everytime I listen to the bombcast.

Edited by Fattony12000

This is my god now.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@Messier said:

It really put the whole podcast to a screeching halt when it was only him and Jeff talking about a game that is now months old. Though, if there was anything that I got kind of incensed about, it was Patrick's assertion that season 3 of 24 is bad. Sure, it drags in the middle, but the last "arc" of that season is incredibly great.

Posted by dropabombonit

Can't wait to hear dmc talk, just finished and loved every minute.

Posted by leem101

next xbox and playstation are going to be launched apple style, announced one week then out within a month, get the 1st 6 months of hardcore sales then all the xmas sales afterwards

Posted by joeshabadoo

@ArbitraryWater: word! S3 is underrated

Posted by MattGrant

Users around here are kinda dicks about Patrick...

Edited by Shortbreadtom

@MattGrant: You should look at a Patrick Quick Look on YouTube, the comments are FUCKED.

Posted by MeatSim

As much as I am not ready to spend another 400 dollars on new hardware, I want to see some next gen platforms now.

Posted by Breadfan

Gah. That dog food bit was so gross, yet so hilarious.