214 Comments
Posted by Superkenon

@msavo said:

If Patrick thinks Fire Emblem is hardcore than I don't know how he'll handle other games in that genre. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are on the same level for me as very easy turn based strategy games.

Out of curiosity then, what games of the genre would you consider hard?

Posted by bobafettjm

I have to say, I don't think Disgaea (the original one) is that hard to get into. You do not need to be already into strategy games to play it, as it was the first game in that genre that I really got into and played all the way through.

Edited by falling_fast

also glad to hear that about sim city. running power lines and water lines and sewers and subways and shit was no fun AT ALL. it was overly complicated and poorly explained.

Posted by Double

Weird coincidence while listening to the Bombcast on the way to work this morning. While they were talking about people paying for things for the other guy behind them, the driver in front of me paid for my toll as I was going to get change in the cashier lane. I wonder if the person forgot about getting his change back or listened to the Bombcast as well... Anyway, fist bump to that driver! Also, I liked Lords of Shadow.

Posted by fiberpay

@cadwr said:

Regarding minimums for credit card purchases, that practice is against the vendor agreements of the major credit card companies. If a business is requiring a minimum (or enforcing a maximum) purchase amount to use a credit card, you can report that business to the relevant credit card company. You can do the same if a business is requiring you to show additional ID to make a credit card purchase. From what I've heard Visa and Mastercard are somewhat lax when it comes to responding to these reports, but American Express takes them very seriously and will demand a change in policy with the threat of revoking the vendor agreement.

As a business owner I can tell you that is incorrect. When being sold CC services I was told that I most certainly could put a minimum purchase amount. Because every transaction cost me money. Those CC companies are trying everything they can do to get their machine in your store. Bottom line stores have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason as long as it is not discrimination.

Posted by falling_fast

pretty sure Saints Row 2 for pc was outsourced to cd projekt, and they were given very little time to work on it. it just wasn't a priority at the time I guess, unfortunately.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

I have never seen Ghosts of Mars.

Now I feel like I need to see Ghosts of Mars.

Posted by Winternet

Oh man, Vinny's bit on Underworld was freakin hilarious.

Posted by Tesla

It bothered me slightly that, while discussing the email about manipulating space or time, no one mentioned the fact that space and time are intimately related in such a way that one could manipulate space to the point that time would also be manipulated.

Step ya physics game up bomb crew!

Posted by Phished0ne
If you understand why this image of Lanny Poffo is here, you know too much about wrestling.
Posted by dropabombonit

I will listen to this while doing revision like last week. Got a 91% on that test so bombcast is a catalyst to success

Posted by Scroll

Did Jeff Disregard Homeworld? Ok then.

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

Twilight Princess looked shitty? Really? What's with the irrational hate on that? I thought it looked gorgeous, and I don't even like Zelda games.

I "get" Wind Waker, but I totally get the disappointment of it, like Brad said. They basically mislead everybody.

Posted by gbrading

Jeff was right: The PC version of Saints Row 2 was terrible.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@msavo said:

@Bell_End said:

@msavo said:

If Patrick thinks Fire Emblem is hardcore than I don't know how he'll handle other games in that genre. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are on the same level for me as very easy turn based strategy games.

maybe you're just amazingly great and a shining example of a video game expert.

Nope, the games are just easy for that genre.

I wouldn't call Fire Emblem easy. Some of the games in that series get pretty raw on higher difficulties, and they don't have the advantage of infinite grinding the way a Tactics Ogre or FFT has.

Edited by Tennmuerti

@AssInAss said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Once again I'll repeat my comments were meant as a general explanation on the backlash, and I criticized it as a failing of the whole crew, not just Patrick. His surprise at the backlash is the only thing being singled out. (simply for the purposes of addressing it)

What's the point of you explaining others' backlash? The crew is not baffled by people being outraged over their opinions of the game.

What's the point of explaining anything to anyone who is surprised at something? To make them understand why such a thing occurred (and sometimes, as in this case with a dose of introspective that might help them). Does this really need to be explained? I didn't honestly didn't think so. Also Patrick specifically said that he doesn't understand why are people are so passionate and acted surprised at the strong backlash.

On the point of purchasing decisions and Unprofessional Fridays, I misinterpreted your post but it does sound like you're (or maybe you're the community's lawyer speaking on their behalf) judging their "unprofessional" opinions as a standard that they use for their review opinions which is just disingenuous.

This site and a lot of people on it make use of not only the staffs reviews. In fact reviews are just a minor part of how the staffs opinions affect people and their purchasing decision or overall opinions on games. This podcast, the quicklooks, etc ... Judging worth of their opinions and their relevance outside of reviews is entirely valid. Not implying the connection to reviews at all. Reviews are far from a single relevant resource.

None of them will be reviewing the game, so why not just say stuff for comedic purposes? Your argument would be relevant if this aired before Lords of Shadow released and cast a shadow on their editorial opinions that could affect viewers.

Actually a lot of people do still form their perceptions on a game (or even buy them) way past release date. On almost every TNT or some other site's live feature, you see people making comments to the effect of "i'm gonna go buy it now", or "this looks like dogshit". It also very importantly affects how some people will view the next product in the same franchise or from the same studio. Post release word of mouth is nothing new, and can be easily seen all the time, Darksiders for example as a good side of this coin.

Just to reiterate this wasn't the main point i was making. It was on how others view the overall opinions of the staff rather then some users making a judgement on a single game. This is just to illustrate that views are always affected, regardless of if it's post or pre release.

Many critics have opinions on games/movies/whatever without having played it, you can't always have the critic hat on. They're not "judging so strongly" (as you said), it's just an unprofessional show. If people consider them silly and are dismissive towards their review opinions, again that's on them for not understanding airing opinions about some game years after it came out on a mostly comedic show.

See above. I was not talking about their reviews. Comedy or not, their views and attitudes affect the views of a large number of other people. And yes I partially agree with you it is on those people, those people are however part of this site's audience.

Posted by Shortbreadtom

@videogamesarenotart:

be warned this one has like a 40 minute patrick monologue about how tactical rpgs are too hard

Wow. You completely missed the point of everything that conversation was about, didn't you?

Posted by The5Librarian

Aw. No EVE Online talk?

Posted by GrantHeaslip

@Tennmuerti said:

@AssInAss said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I don't need to cherry pick things they said and blow it out of proportion.

Ironically that's exactly what you just did here. Cherry picked my criticism and blew it out of proportion as if i'm somehow raging at them for disliking a game they haven't played themselves.

Writing 4 paragraphs here sounds like an outrage, and I just listened to all of the Bombcast, watched the 2 Unprofessional Fridays, Patrick is the wrong person to single out. He was indifferent the whole time. I'm just not seeing this narrative you're making out. If people are using the Unprofessional Friday's to make purchasing decisions on Castlevania Lords of Shadow, that's on them, not the Giant Bomb crew. It says it right there in the name, "unprofessional". And as someone pointed out below, they're just exaggerating for comedic purposes, like "Nights is the absolute worst!!!".

Then all i can say is you are really really bad at interpreting a persons tone from their writing style. The rage and emotion is all you buddy. I just like writing a lot and explaining things in detail.

Once again I'll repeat my comments were meant as a general explanation on the backlash, and I criticized it as a failing of the whole crew, not just Patrick. His surprise at the backlash is the only thing being singled out. (simply for the purposes of addressing it)

No one is talking about purchasing decisions based on "Unproffesional Fridays" either. That's not what was said by me at all. or the point being made. It is seriously rather tiresome having to address some fictional interpretations of my words.

Agreed. I’m a little sick of way people mix up disagreeing something and writing a few polite paragraphs in response with being “outraged.” It’s a cheap, straw-man way to discount someone’s opinion without addressing it.

I’ve got no opinion one way or another about LoS, but I didn’t interpret the way it was treated as (entirely) all in good fun. I can’t claim to know what they actually think about it, but this idea that them treating it so derisively (in very specific, critical terms) was just a fun gag seems revisionist.

Posted by AssInAss

@Tennmuerti said:

What's the point of you explaining others' backlash? The crew is not baffled by people being outraged over their opinions of the game. From the crew not having played it (and me just playing the demo), it DOES look like a derivative game. On the point of purchasing decisions and Unprofessional Fridays, I misinterpreted your post but it does sound like you're (or maybe you're the community's lawyer speaking on their behalf) judging their "unprofessional" opinions as a standard that they use for their review opinions which is just disingenuous. None of them will be reviewing the game, so why not just say stuff for comedic purposes? Your argument would be relevant if this aired before Lords of Shadow released and cast a shadow on their editorial opinions that could affect viewers. Many critics have opinions on games/movies/whatever without having played it, you can't always have the critic hat on. They're not "judging so strongly" (as you said), it's just an unprofessional show. If people consider them silly and are dismissive towards their review opinions, again that's on them for not understanding airing opinions about some game years after it came out on a mostly comedic show.

Posted by TinyGallon

I'm fine with him usually, but getting really tired of Patrick's dismissive sounding "Yep"s and "Yes"s during the show.

It sounds like he is confirming everything everyone says

Posted by Tennmuerti

@AssInAss said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Ironically that's exactly what you just did here. Cherry picked my criticism and blew it out of proportion as if i'm somehow raging at them for disliking a game they haven't played themselves.

Writing 4 paragraphs here sounds like an outrage, and I just listened to all of the Bombcast, watched the 2 Unprofessional Fridays, Patrick is the wrong person to single out. He was indifferent the whole time. I'm just not seeing this narrative you're making out. If people are using the Unprofessional Friday's to make purchasing decisions on Castlevania Lords of Shadow, that's on them, not the Giant Bomb crew. It says it right there in the name, "unprofessional". And as someone pointed out below, they're just exaggerating for comedic purposes, like "Nights is the absolute worst!!!".

Then all i can say is you are really really bad at interpreting a persons tone from their writing style. The rage and emotion is all you buddy. I just like writing a lot and explaining things in detail.

No one is talking about purchasing decisions based on "Unproffesional Fridays" either. That's not what was said by me at all. or the point being made. It is seriously rather tiresome having to address some fictional interpretations of my words.

Posted by AssInAss

@Tennmuerti said:

Posted by Tennmuerti

@Dallas_Raines said:

He said on tumblr that they all exaggerated their dislike of the game for comedic purposes.

That's cool. Then I guess the comedic value seemed to not be lost on some. But then they should not be surprised at the backlash. And mentioning it on the bombcast would have gone a long way to pretty much explaining it and curtailing any further talk/criticizm towards that issue. As explaining it through a different (less widespread) channel outside the site is not going to be seen by a lot of people.

Good to know tho.

Posted by Tennmuerti

@AssInAss said:

If anything, Jeff is the dismissive one, not Patrick.

The particulars of who is irrelevant to the point being made. I'm not singling him out, merely addressing his comments made during the podcast Which is what that last paragraph was for, mentioning that this is not just an issue of Patricks. And saying P. is not dismissive is plain false, one only has to listen to the comments made during the 2 shows and the podcast.

If they hated the game, they wouldn't air it.

A. I did not say they hated it. Only how they acted about it during the show and how it came off from an outside perspective of many people. B. That is incorrect in an of itself, plenty of games they don't like get aired. C. One person (such as Vinny) can be enough to air a game that the rest dismiss. D. This isn't even relevant to the point being made.

Hey guess what, they won't be excited for every game and just like any other human, will have preconceived biases.

Which is fine. If they were any other human. In this situation they are not (equatable with everyone else). As game critics/reviewers, their opinions and views are looked towards by many people. Thousands watch the stream. If such views are expressing strong negative opinions on a particular game without having played it, of what value is that opinion? What does that mean about their professional opinions on games in general, if they can judge so strongly without even bothering to play things. It makes people dismissive towards their opinions in turn. And just makes them look silly in general in the eyes of others.

The game or at least that shitty section seems ripe for "so bad it's good" entertainment. "Maybe...", Zobek, tearing down walls, all that stuff is hilarious.

That shitty section was only made shitty by sheer antics of the staff (Vinny having not played the game in a long long time). During a normal playthrough most people glide through it without any issues. Its quite a good case how a bad driver makes a performance of a car look awful to put it metaphorically.

The hilarity of the content is not being criticized or questioned.

It just makes for good entertainment. I don't get why some people like you get so incensed over a game they bothered to give air-time to.

You have the wrong impression. I am not incensed at all :) In fact my post was written quite calmly and was merely to point out why people were upset in general. To explain the backlash better (as Patrick was so surprised by it), nothing more; if the staff happens to read the comments as they sometimes do. Merely pointing out that the backlash is not due to game quality itself but also because of other layered reasons.

Please don't attribute some fictional rage to me about them disliking the game that I have not stated and do not feel at all.

Posted by Dallas_Raines

@Tennmuerti said:

I might be under the wrong impression, but it seems to me that the backlash on Lords of Shadow is not necessarily as Patrick puts it he "doesn't get why someone would like it". But specifically most people (including myself) got miffed because Patrick actively acts derisively towards it and Vinny's liking of LoS. Sure now on the Bombcast he is saying he just does care about it, but during the Friday shows that was not how that came off. It looked like active disdain for the game. A game most importantly almost none of the bombcrew (except Vinny) have played for any significant length of time at all, or have even not played it at all.

It's one thing to not care about and dismiss a game.

It quite another to actively shit on it over and over, having not even played it. And making out people who did play it and do like to appear as is their opinion is somehow the fucked up one.

This isn't the first time that some megative opinion of the crew gets bounced off each other so much over time, that they actively start shitting on games they have not even played or barely played. This is just the latest and more prominent case.

He said on tumblr that they all exaggerated their dislike of the game for comedic purposes.

Posted by Max_Cherry

@videogamesarenotart said:

ON WITH THE SEXISM DISCUSSION

because when its a women, its different.

I certainly would hope so!

Posted by AssInAss

@Tennmuerti said:

I might be under the wrong impression, but it seems to me that the backlash on Lords of Shadow is not necessarily as Patrick puts it he "doesn't get why someone would like it". But specifically most people (including myself) got miffed because Patrick actively acts derisively towards it and Vinny's liking of LoS. Sure now on the Bombcast he is saying he just does care about it, but during the Friday shows that was not how that came off. It looked like active disdain for the game. A game most importantly almost none of the bombcrew (except Vinny) have played for any significant length of time at all, or have even not played it at all.

It quite another to actively shit on it over and over, having not even played it. And making out people who did play it and do like to appear as is their opinion is somehow the fucked up one.

This isn't the first time that some megative opinion of the crew gets bounced off each other so much over time, that they actively start shitting on games they have not even played or barely played. This is just the latest and more prominent case.

As always with these fan outrage comments every week in the comments for some game, you got the wrong impression. If anything, Jeff is the dismissive one, not Patrick. If they hated the game, they wouldn't air it. Hey guess what, they won't be excited for every game and just like any other human, will have preconceived biases. The game or at least that shitty section seems ripe for "so bad it's good" entertainment. "Maybe...", Zobek, tearing down walls, all that stuff is hilarious.

It just makes for good entertainment. I don't get why some people like you get so incensed over a game they bothered to give air-time to. I like Too Human, but I loved them playing it and tearing it to bits while still liking some things. I know certain games I like aren't loved by everyone, and I'm ok with that. I don't need to cherry pick things they said and blow it out of proportion.

Posted by Chibithor

@Bell_End said:

@msavo said:

No matter if they're easy or hard, I would agree with him that they're about as difficult.

Posted by RE_Player1

@Bell_End said:

@msavo said:

Nope, the games are just easy for that genre.

Edited by Tennmuerti

Posted by zenmastah

So what was that thing when they trashed Dan Ryckert?

Posted by AssInAss

@CaLe said:

Maybe They Live was good for its time, but I got no enjoyment out of watching it for the first time a few days ago. Everything other than the concept was just bad. BAD. Bad acting, bad music which never stops, bad action scenes, bad character interaction. Just-- nothing good.

I just watched it a few days ago, and it was fucking awesome! Still relevant now with the Occupy movement class warfare and it's a perfect conspiracy nut movie. I love how subdued Roddy Piper is, and I expected more punch lines. It's funny in the right spots, and heavy when approrpriate. The music is classic Carpenter synths with some added western. It has one of the best fight scenes ever in a movie (heck it was parodied in South Park so you know it's classic), it feels real and because it's between two stubborn friends, there is that tension of whether they'll go for death. You think it's about to end, but noooo keeps on going.

Edited by CptBedlam

@paulunga said:

Wow, Jeff is that guy that hates the DmC reboot except for Castlevania. XD

Yep, isn't it funny how he despises the outrage of "oldschool" DMC fans and yet he complains on this bombcast how LoS doesn't have a bunch of features from past Castlevania games (that would make absolutely zero sense in LoS)? Sounds very much like hypocrisy to me. If he likes a rebooted game, it's because it's different (Syndicate, DmC). If he doesn't, it's because it's different.

Edited by cruxking
Posted by AssInAss

Vinny: "I watched that Underworld 3 in the cinemas."

Patrick: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Posted by Colourful_Hippie

That long tangent on mostly shit movies was great.

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

Lords of Shadow is a really great game. Kind of sick of the guys badmouthing it without having given it a chance.

The guys do this to most games, unfortunately. Seems like Brad and Vinny are the only ones that don't.

Posted by Humanity

The end question segment just brought it all together, especially the "fuck you" Ryan and Brad moment and the entire Boyscout stew question.

Posted by Red12b

@Yummylee said:

I've always found it weird how everybody always looks back on the first Resident Evil movie as being OK. Perhaps in comparison to the utter shite that followed it, then it's something of a masterpiece. But it's still a pretty bad film all in all. Like Ghost Ship, it has one cool scene and everything else is just filler.

I like the first Resi film,

Posted by DukesT3

"They're supposed to plug in the holes..." - Patrick

"Gross." - Vinny

Don't ever change Vinny =)

Posted by DukesT3

Oh Vinny.

Posted by FiestaUnicorn

@fiberpay said:

Vin Diesel is awesome. I love both of the Riddick movies and all F&F minus Tokyo Drift.

If you don't like TOkyo Drift we can never be friends.

Posted by DudeSupreme

It warms my heart to hear someone enjoying Fire Emblem. :>

Posted by videogamesarenotart

be warned this one has like a 40 minute patrick monologue about how tactical rpgs are too hard

Posted by Downloaded

@xMEGADETHxSLY: so good.

Posted by Vod_Crack

Battlefield Earth is fun.

Posted by bunnymud

@JZ said:

It's bizarre to hear patrick talk about how overwhelming tactical rpgs are, because they are total 2nd nature to me.

His favorite game style are platformers.

Nuff sed

Posted by Tebbit

Great episode y'all.

Posted by Paindamnation

Fuck Davis. I love Chronicles of Riddick