214 Comments
Posted by SleepyDoughnut

I feel like I should hate extended talk about movies I haven't seen, but I actually really enjoy it for some reason

Posted by RE_Player1

@dvorak said:

@m16mojo2 said:

The cave seems boring to me.

That's because it is.

I can confirm this.

Edited by CptBedlam

@Ares42 said:

Regarding Lords of Shadow, the other guys should really check out some of the bosses in the game. The Dragon Boss is easily one of my great gaming highlights. Other than that there are plenty of great stages, like the toybox, machinarium and farmstead.

The unfortunate thing is just that the game starts very slowly and generic.

Yup. Unfortunately, all their complaints about the game are nothing but uneducated guesses since none of them except Vinny played it further than the first chapter. Ryan and Jeff didn't even touch the game. Pure ignorance.

And does Brad know that past Castlevanias also had chain whips? The combat cross is just a fucking handle for the chain whip and yet he acts as if it's the dumbest thing in the world. Baffling. It's a videogame, Brad.

Posted by PHenry1991

Yay! Bombcast!

Posted by TheManWithNoPlan

Late night with the Bombcast. Oh yeeaahhh.

Posted by granderojo

Constantine was a good movie.

Posted by Darkhollow

Another lenghty Bombcast! Can't say no to that.

Posted by Carlos1408

The real deal!

Posted by ModernMoriarty

Well, Lords of Shadow does indeed get quite good when you finally reach the titular castle, but let's not allow the game to get off the hook too easily. The first section with the werewolves goes on *forever*, and is only very occasionally interesting. At that point in the game, you have little equipment, not many skills, and its just level after level after level of caves and wilderness. The lack of stuff that you have means that you can't engage in much of the side quest collecting until later (you can revisit levels), so its really quite boring at this stage.

Things do liven up immensely when you unlock a decent amount of skills, get some of the better gear and reach the castle (the village is quite good too). But its an up and down sort of game. I'm a big Castlevania fan, but LoS certainly isn't my favourite. There are some truly great moments (the epic battle with the Ogre Chef is a highlight), and I did like the blind girl sidekick that Gabriel has for a while etc. But overall it was often a surprisingly dull game, and I think given the importance they place on the story in this one, the rather drab characterization of Gabriel, and Robert Carlyle's utterly disinterested voice acting didn't help in this regard.

Basically, it was okay but I don't think they nailed it. Report Card reads 'Could do Better'.

Posted by Aegon

WOAH, SimCity talk is boring. Oh well. I guess some people are interested.

Posted by fustacluck

@SleepyDoughnut said:

I feel like I should hate extended talk about movies I haven't seen, but I actually really enjoy it for some reason

You really should check out the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast, then. Sometimes the films you haven't seen are the funniest episodes.

Posted by ripelivejam

@Aegon said:

WOAH, SimCity talk is boring. Oh well. I guess some people are interested.

yeah that's opinions for you

now that i'm actually playing sleepy dawgz i want more current talk about that but can't win them all...

Posted by PHenry1991

Nothing is gonna top that yelp conversation for a good long while.

Posted by divergence

Paying for the guy behind you? Well, you can't very well call it "paying it forward' can you? heh.

Posted by fustacluck

@Wonloong said:

What did Patrick meant by "character agnostic"?

In this case I think he means that you don't need a specific character to complete the puzzle. "Non-character specific" would probably be as good a way to put it.

Posted by HistoryInRust

@thabigred said:

It was certainly a movie.

Posted by Branthog

I just want to say that , , , , and really make my week a hell of a lot better by having Tuesday nights to look forward to. The only way it could be more rewarding is if it were on Wednesdays. Truly in the middle of the week. It's just this fantastic long chit-chat with some duders that passes almost an entire evening while I can work on some stuff that I'd rather not be spending my time on. Completely entertaining. I don't think I've made enough of a point in the past about just how much I love the Bombcast.

Posted by BlatantNinja23

By the way Brad, Sega and Creative Assembly announced a Warhammer partnership in December, so relic wasn't needed at all for a Warhammer Total War. Though I'm sure there are some guys at relic who know a thing or two about the franchise to help out.

Posted by LiquidPrince

The Resident Evil movies are my dirty pleasures.

Posted by natetodamax

Thanks for the shoutout Vinny! I tried switching teams but the server wouldn't allow me, even though the teams were unbalanced. 'Twas still fun, though.

Posted by spiceninja

Lords of Shadow is a really great game. Kind of sick of the guys badmouthing it without having given it a chance.

Posted by JZ

It's bizare to hear patrick talk about how overwheming tactical rpgs are, because they are total 2nd nature to me.

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

Lords of Shadow is a really great game. Kind of sick of the guys badmouthing it without having given it a chance.

Agreed, I enjoyed it a lot. Vinny likes it, that's all that matters!

Posted by Fishdingo5

The Cave doesn't sound too good but I may get it just to support Double Fine. At least they are always coming up with new stuff.

Posted by granderojo

@HistoryInRust said:

@thabigred said:

It was certainly a movie.

Be quiet Bob.

Posted by SuperJoe

A trilogy of tacos.

Edited by KittyVonDoom

Yes, Brad. The "important" aspects of Wind Waker: The texture quality... Jesus.

Posted by Zamir
Posted by fiberpay

Vin Diesel is awesome. I love both of the Riddick movies and all F&F minus Tokyo Drift.

Posted by ArtisanBreads

... "that can suck its own dick!" Couldn't stop laughing.

Posted by cadwr

Regarding minimums for credit card purchases, that practice is against the vendor agreements of the major credit card companies. If a business is requiring a minimum (or enforcing a maximum) purchase amount to use a credit card, you can report that business to the relevant credit card company. You can do the same if a business is requiring you to show additional ID to make a credit card purchase. From what I've heard Visa and Mastercard are somewhat lax when it comes to responding to these reports, but American Express takes them very seriously and will demand a change in policy with the threat of revoking the vendor agreement.

Posted by QKT

that was a strangely longer intro.

Posted by NTM

It's not like they're going to do this just because I wish they would, that's obvious, but it would be cool if they set up a time for when they tangent off into another topic, and also mention the important stuff they talk about. Someone mentioned Wind Waker above, and I don't see it in the podcast description.

Edited by handlas

lol what? Buying people food in drive-thrus is a thing? This has happened to me twice at Starbucks. I'm the asshole. I go... "alright that's awesome thanks!" and drive off. I never understood what was happening.

Well now I know what to do next time. And I'm still gonna drive off without spending a buck.

Posted by AngeTheDude

@PlasmaBeam44: I'm with you. It was an epic game and while it was a little simple in terms of gameplay, I really enjoyed it. The game is really cheap now, too. Any of you guys looking for a good action game should pick it up. I also find this negative attitude towards LoS odd coming from the Bombcrew considering how hot they are for the DmC reboot which is the same genre of game.

Posted by civid

The Resident Evil 2-movie is the best movie in that franchise. RE1 was just boring, I never got the hate for number 2, but then again, I love Alien: Resurrection, so maybe it's just me. Also Constantine is alright for the sole reason I get to watch Shia LeBouf die.

Posted by GrantHeaslip

A few notes on the Zelda talk (look, it’s my avatar, I can’t not have an opinion!):

• Twilight Princess was received really well — undeservedly well in my opinion, as it’s one of my least-favourite Zelda games. It’s weird, because in a lot of circles, it’s not back on with mixed (or even hostile) feelings, but most critics loved it at the time. It’s got the same Metacritic store as The Wind Waker, and people lost their shit over Jeff giving it an 8.8/10 (remember that?). I’ve never been able to put my finger on what it is that caused this gap — were reviewers terrified to give it lower scores, or did it have a short shelf life?
  • Twilight Princess did not look like crap. For 2006, and for a last-generation game, it looked pretty great. I’ve been replaying it off-and-on, and while I’ve got my issues with stuff like the use of bloom. some muddy textures, and the ineveitable HDTV upscaling issues, it’s held up pretty well. If someone told me they liked the look of it more than The Wind Waker, I’d disagree, but I wouldn’t be flabbergasted.
  • Can The Wind Waker ever come up on this podcast without Patrick using it as a jumping-off point to shit on the Zelda fanbase for (apparently) forcing Nintendo to change the art style in Twilight Princess? Zelda fans are not a single entity, Nintendo wasn’t forced to do anything, and nobody’s proven the (minority) fan reaction to TWW was the reason Nintendo changed the art style. Some people lost their shit over it at the time (many of them not Zelda fans per se), but considering how well-regarded TWW is among Zelda fans now, they were a small-but-vocal subset.
  • If anything, the catalyst for the change was everyone besides the hardcore Zelda fans — let’s face it, most of them bought TWW for full price. A more casual consumer might look at the style and mistake it for a “kiddie” game, and at the time, Nintendo was trying to get away from that image with Reggie’s “kicking ass and taking names” bluster, RE4, Metroid Prime 2, The Twin Snakes, the platinum GameCube, and other assorted 2004-era stuff.
  • Not to defend the cut dungeons, but most games have levels and content cut before release. It’s usually not as nakedly obvious and padded over, but it’s nothing particularly unique.
Posted by TheHT

Contracts takes place immediately after the Opera House mission from Blood Money. It's mostly just a series of flashback missions.

Posted by arimajinn

yess!! BOMBCAST :3

Posted by RE_Player1

If Patrick thinks Fire Emblem is hardcore than I don't know how he'll handle other games in that genre. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are on the same level for me as very easy turn based strategy games.

Posted by cthomer5000

@JZ said:

How about vinny likes the game and fuck you if you don't?

Yeah. that would have made for a more interesting discussion, right?

Edited by SpunkyHePanda

Guys, you've already talked about the beginning of Ghost Ship and the Youtube montage of people getting cut and then slowly falling apart. Stop freaking me out.

Also, Disgaea was my first strategy RPG, and I absolutely loved it. You don't need to be a super-fan of the genre to enjoy those games. They MAKE YOU a super-fan during the main campaign and then let you get really crazy in the post-game. Oh God, the post-game...

Posted by Mento

Yo, , Yoshi already beat Kirby to the stitchwork world angle with Yoshi's Story. They're just taking it back, is all. (Hopefully the Yoshi's Story singing doesn't come back. Man, was that stuff treacly.)

Yo, , disparage PAL again and there will be a reckoning. It won't be a particularly fluid reckoning, but its (blood red) colors will be vivid.

Yo, , I absolutely can't stand Lords of Shadow. But you're still my favorite.

Posted by RudeCubes

PLAY THE GAME HARDCORE - giantbomb.com

Posted by antivanti

@cadwr said:

Regarding minimums for credit card purchases, that practice is against the vendor agreements of the major credit card companies. If a business is requiring a minimum (or enforcing a maximum) purchase amount to use a credit card, you can report that business to the relevant credit card company. You can do the same if a business is requiring you to show additional ID to make a credit card purchase. From what I've heard Visa and Mastercard are somewhat lax when it comes to responding to these reports, but American Express takes them very seriously and will demand a change in policy with the threat of revoking the vendor agreement.

There has been some recent developments.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/28/us-creditcard-settlement-fees-idUSBRE90R14U20130128

Posted by fallen_rock2

I think Patrick might believe that agnostic means something different than it does......

Posted by ArtisanBreads

Really enjoyed this one. The bad movie talk and whole beginning was really great. The thing about the monster that can suck its own dick... wow couldn't stop laughing.

I also felt Patrick was more reserved.... which was nice. Sorry to be critical just how I feel. Kind of felt everyone standing their ground at multiple points when people tried to verbally trample them.

Posted by cadwr

@antivanti said:

@cadwr said:

There has been some recent developments.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/28/us-creditcard-settlement-fees-idUSBRE90R14U20130128

Interesting. So the no credit card fee part of the vendor agreements is unenforceable now, at least in 40 states (though the fees are outright illegal in the other 10). It seems like the no minimum purchase part should still be valid though. Thanks for the link.

Edited by ripelivejam

i can't hear underworld without screamin LYCANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fact: i've only seen the 2nd move for some reason :D

Posted by ripelivejam

@JZ said:

It's bizare to hear patrick talk about how overwheming tactical rpgs are, because they are total 2nd nature to me.

i LIKE to think i understand them as they're one of my very favorite genres, but i still suck balls at them :(