384 Comments
Posted by Blackmoore

Oh dude!  Phoenix DOWN I GET IT NOW. Wow.

Posted by fwylo
@Jeff: @Ryan: I'm totally with you guys I had no idea that's what Pheonix Down was.  That is hilarious that totally makes sense!!
Posted by Ffenix

I am very surprised you guys didn't put Phoenix and Down together! LOLOLOL!

Not all usage of the English language in Japanese games are broken and awkward.

/still laughing at Jeff's revelation.

Posted by louiedog

Nanking Road is an awesome place. I used to live literally 5 minutes away. There is a line every night of the week (except Wednesday when they're closed) so go early.

Posted by AgentofChaos

Oh shit, I forgot about this.

Posted by NoXious

After the first introduction I just thought Vinny was away from the mic or something, thank god I was wrong and it was Rich Gallup! Yay-ay!
I have truly missed Rich Gallup's presence, and it's good to hear devs actually apply SCRUM in practice.

Posted by Rox360

Yaaay Rich!
Whaaat Phoenix Down?! Holy crap, I feel dumb.

That's even worse than realizing just last month than Leon Kowalski in Star Fox is called Leon because he's a chameLeon... I always thought of him as "the lizard dude", it wasn't until I was describing him to a friend that I had to figure out what species he is... and that's when it clicked.. around ten years too late.

But duuude, phoenix down... I have to change how I pronounce that now...

Posted by wiII

right there with everyone on phoenix down.  makes total sense, never made the connection.   MIND BLOWN

Posted by Rodiard

sleepiphany.

Posted by trimon

did they really make overtones about jeff's leaving of gamespot last week?? really subtle

Posted by Jamsque

I feel compelled to mention that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is an awful, shitty, terribly written piece of crap, just in case anyone was thinking of reading it after hearing it mentioned on the bombcast. I cannot emphasise enough how bad that book is. It is low-grade fanfic quality.

Posted by Nev

Much like the dozen other people who've said so here in the comments; I've been playing Final Fantasy games for most of my life, and never made the Phoenix 'Down' connection. Sheesh, bit messed up.

Posted by darkjester74
@Kajaah117 said:
" @darkjester74 said:
" OH!  Phoenix DOWN!!!  ROFL "
As a long time Final Fantasy fan, that still blew my fuckin' mind. I've always associated "down" with your character being dead. Thank you, Brad. "
Wow really?  Am I and Brad the only people who intuitively knew what that meant?  Does that mean that we are an especially horrible type of JRPG nerd?  Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!  =(
Posted by MeatSim

Riiiiiiich! Gallup!

Posted by BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie
@Jamsque said:
" I feel compelled to mention that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is an awful, shitty, terribly written piece of crap, just in case anyone was thinking of reading it after hearing it mentioned on the bombcast. I cannot emphasise enough how bad that book is. It is low-grade fanfic quality. "
Thank you! Yeah, that and all those other "nerd fiction" pieces of shit, that Lincoln Vampire Hunter one and then the other one that's just like this, are awful and rely entirely on people saying "LOL pirates ninjas zombies so random!" when they see the title.
Posted by swamplord666

RICH GALLUP!! my wish for the bombcast has come true!

Posted by CL60

What is Brad talking about when he says there are no open areas in FF13? I seen a video with him narrating what is happening, where they were riding a chocobo around in an open area...

Posted by Aaox

RICH GALLUP I'M JUST YOUR BIGGEST FAN AND I LOVE YOUR WORK AND YOU KNOW LIKE WHAT 
Oh, man. SO AWESOME.

Posted by Whiz

Holy shit its rich

Posted by Leoplureodon

Holy doofycrap! Lightning face himself!

Posted by Deusoma

I realized the Phoenix Down thing a few years ago, but just as it did for Jeff and Ryan, it totally blew my mind.

Posted by Skanes

I shed a manly tear for Rich, I missed him so much.

Posted by dvdwalker8

Nice to hear Rich again. He's still got it. Vinny totally stole the show at the end though. 
Looks like that stupid music is there to stay during the new releases section. I don't see how they can say it is a big attraction of that section when it distracts from the real attraction of the crazy descriptions of the games. It wasn't too bad last week when it was mixed really low but still, I don't see why it has to be there all the time now. 
Posted by DarkS29

PHOENIX DOWN O_O!!!!! WOW MIND BLOWN AWAY

Posted by MattyFTM

Damnit, if I knew Rich was on this episode I would have listened a lot sooner.

Moderator Online
Posted by HalfDane1975

Rich Gallups ads 100 % more energy to the cast. You guys have great chemistry with this dude.  Get him on the cast as often as possible. He's awesome. It's almost as good as when he hosted back in the gamespot days.

Do it ;) .

//Greetings from Sweden

Posted by CashBailey

Brad's thoughts on FINAL FANTASY 13 were very interesting. As was the admission by the others that FF7 ain't all that.

I have a controversial opinion that I'll stick to until my dying day and say that FF8 was superior in every single way to FF7, and is still the best FF game since.

The only thing that comes close to FF8 is LOST ODYSSEY.

Posted by theredcoat24

I would totally buy Lincoln Force :)

Posted by Lambert

I agree with what Ryan said about FF13. The game's first 20 hours is crap. The rest of the game doesn't make up for it at all. 

And I don't get how people need to have played the other Final Fantasy games so their opinion on the subject matters. Other than the names, the games have been almost completely different of each other.

Posted by Moridin
@trimon said:
" did they really make overtones about jeff's leaving of gamespot last week?? really subtle "
Remember when Jeff said the worst way to fire someone was to let them tell people about it before it actually happened, or to be allowed back in the building afterward? 

Situations like that allow the person who is fired to gather friends to go with them. 

See where I'm going here? Haha. :P
Posted by Max_Hydrogen

I'm tremendously pleased to hear Mr. Gallup again (notice the Bomcast's lack of swearing). 

Sound advice about staying in school.

Still can't stand the Wiware music.

Posted by Dan_CiTi

I heard that the first 5 hours "suck" and the next 55 hours are awesome. 

Posted by rivaldi22

Haha, yeah, in retrospect, "Frestration" sounds more like an energy supplement.

It was totally worth it to hear the BombSquad fumble over the name of my town (spelled Poughkeepsie), and have Rich excitedly chant it, correctly no less.

Edited by Ariketh
@Blackmoore said:

" Oh dude!  Phoenix DOWN I GET IT NOW. Wow. "

I got it a few years ago, but yeah... I felt pretty stupid that I hadn't realized it until then. I think it was around the time Final Fantasy XII came out.

It blew my mind too.
Posted by Ariketh
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
"

RICH MOTHERF******** GALLUP!

GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE

I didn't actually press caps btw I am so excited that I am holding the Lshift button down while typing.

"
I know how you feel. Every time I hear Rich, I can't help but smile. I miss his podcasting days.

What if he did a Podcast for 38 Studios? Man...that would be awesome.
Posted by TomA

YEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rich Gallup i love you. Also, you signed me NES controller at PAX one time, that was cool, but also kinda weird...

Posted by Ariketh
@lolak47 said:

" FINAL FANTASY 7 WAS BEST FF EVER Fuck Brad  ok 13 sucks but FF7 best RPG ever !! "

Dude...

I agree with Brad, FF6 was better than FF7. The only thing I liked from FF7 was Yuffie... Well, Zack was cool too. But Kefka > Sephiroth.

FF6 is a better game overall. I can play that now and enjoy it, but FF7...it just ain't the same as it was back then.
Posted by sickVisionz

Man, did somebody say that Darkwing Duck was the best Disney Cartoon?  Come on fellas...  

Does anyone have a DL link for the WiiWare music?

Posted by Skeet11

I'm like 7 or 8 hours into Final Fantasy XIII and I am personally absolutely loving it.

Posted by CowsWithGuns

omgsh I wanna play Linkin Force!  Great show guys!

Posted by ch3burashka

Awesome Endurance Run reference, Rich! Damn, I miss those days...

Also, Phoenix Down???!!!

Posted by demontium
@punkxblaze said:
" BOMBCAST IS OSCAR MIKE "
overdone comment is overdone.
Posted by John_Bender
@demontium:  overdone comment is OSCAR MIKE 
Posted by UsbCable
@demontium said:
" @punkxblaze said:
" BOMBCAST IS OSCAR MIKE "
overdone comment is overdone. "
Overdone comment notifications are overdone..... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

I just felt like typing that and don't hate you personally so don't be mad, kay? I'll love you forever you sexy bacon.
Posted by CaptainApollo13

"Coming soon from Jason West and Vince Zampella.....CONTEMPORARY CONFLICT..... 3!!!!!" 

Pure gold Gerstmann and Shoemaker....pure gold

Posted by MormonWarrior

Rich Gallup!!! Man, I miss that guy.

Posted by TomA

lol "Go back to school you dumbass!" that might be one of the best lines in bombcast history

Posted by Bummey

Holy shit! Phoenix Down. My mind is blown.

Posted by Turambar
@Lambert said:
" I agree with what Ryan said about FF13. The game's first 20 hours is crap. The rest of the game doesn't make up for it at all.   And I don't get how people need to have played the other Final Fantasy games so their opinion on the subject matters. Other than the names, the games have been almost completely different of each other. "
Let's put what Ryan was referring to into context.  The people defending the change in the game at the 30 hour point is only in regards to the linearity of the level design.  Depending on what  you feelings regarding this is, this might be significant issue for you, or it can be not a one at all.  

But the game is not built on level designs, and while the tutorial does indeed start slow in certain other aspects, those pick up far, far earlier.  Like I already said in response to you, the combat, one of Brad's major points of contention, throws the bulk of the system at you once you're past the 2 hour point and things pick up a lot.  It's not too long before auto-chain no longer selects the most ideal attacks to use either.
Posted by teekomeeko

I can understand not enjoying a game genre (FPSs, as popular as they are, are mostly boring trash to me) or not enjoying what it has turned into, but good lord... the amount of hatred and bitterness spat on FFXIII by three people in this podcast was honestly hard to listen to.