85 Comments
  • 85 results
Posted by MormonWarrior

Just picked this up for $11 on the 360 since there's been a lot of talk about NBA 2K14 and I wanted to see what I've missed. Enjoying the presentation so far. That whole "My Player" mode sounds right up my alley since controlling an entire team sounds like a nightmare.

Oh, and I would've loved a Stockton/Malone cover, but the only cover that looked good was the Jordan one since it matches the red background.

Posted by PapaBear45

Am I the only one who wanted Mugsy Bogues on the cover? Other than that giant oversight, great game!!!!!

Posted by Scowl

I was able to grab a Larry Bird cover despite not pre-ordering and I absolutely love this game. After completing the Legends Mode I was able to assemble my "Ultimate Celtics" team with Bird, Russell, Havelicek, McHale and Rondo my starters and I've been having lots of fun with it.

I have to question whether FIFA is selling more in the US than anywhere else. The worldwide sales are no doubt impressive and the US sales have improved from last year's iteration BUT nowhere near as impressive as Madden 12 in the US. I am a natural born US citizen and like most really don't care for soccer. Popularity has spiked somewhat but I don't expect a US soccer revolution anytime soon. If Pele couldn't pull it off then no one can.

Posted by zombie2011

Looks like a great year for sports games, too bad there won't be that much real life basketball to go along with the game.

Posted by YoungBuck

Right now I would give it 4/5. Too many bugs, and the update that was just released to fix the online lag and disconnects makes the offline game lag. I really hope they fix this game, because I played 2k11 for an entire year without having feelings of being disappointed as I am with 2k12.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

@Capt_Ventris said:

@groin said:

@Thiemen said:

They review this but not FIFA? ;___;

In general, US citizens do not care about soccer. Giantbomb barely covers sports games anyway so why are you expecting a FIFA review?

Well FIFA now has most of it's sales in the US. So obviously some yanks like it

Perhaps nobody on the staff is a fan of football?

Posted by Greenlight13

@Chewii101: I acknowledged the financial structure sucks, but these things will get worked out eventually, even if we lose a season in the progress. I don't know how the other leagues work, but dividing up shared revenue from the entire league amongst the players is a ludicrous idea in the first place, and agreeing to give said players more than 50% of that revenue is down right laughable. Sure, people pay to see stars, but those stars have a shelf life. In 5 years Kobe will probably be gone, but the Lakers will still be there. How players can make demands that will continue to worsen the financial shape of their teams I do not know. I agree that it sucks that only 5 teams draw free agents, but there's still more variety than in England's premier league, in which only 3 teams have won since about 1996. There needs to be one fixed, hard cap otherwise why even bother capping salaries in the first place if certain teams are just going to go over it continually.

Anyway, I was merely trying to point out Patrick's opening paragraph was a little more damning than is justified. I think we can all agree this game is great and that the real life NBA has some issues that need working out.

Posted by Mezmero

Your written reviews are always such a joy to read! I'm not really into sports games but maybe I'll give this a shot. Even if it somehow doesn't float my boat I'm sure my brother will love it, especially if the current season is looking as dire as you say for basketball. He's very much into career modes and create-a-player stuff, making the My Player mode sound especially awesome. Please continue to write as many reviews as possible for Whiskey Media.

Posted by TweetTweet

Well I'm not insulted and considering buying the game. :) While I love watching real NBA I have very little experience playing basketball games. Is it tough on hoop noobs?

Edited by Chewii101
@Greenlight13: Insulting to who? Both the NBA and NHL need to contract eventually, the 30 teams are not sustainable. Huge changes are needed to both leagues. David Stern is rightlfully stopping the season because the current NBA CBA is not viable. How can a system where there are 5,6 teams that attract all the big names and dominate while the smaller markets just simply wallow work?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OqzmTCtIQ&feature=feedu (If u disagree with two of the greatest players ever then.......wutevs.)

PS. This game looks awesome. 
Posted by Capt_Ventris

@groin said:

@Thiemen said:

In general, US citizens do not care about soccer. Giantbomb barely covers sports games anyway so why are you expecting a FIFA review?

Well FIFA now has most of it's sales in the US. So obviously some yanks like it

Posted by Bruce

I love this game.

Posted by PoToSkull

Great job on there review Alex. Your description on 2K12's online issues was spot on and hilarious.

Posted by Vkramac

@Greenlight13 said:

The opening paragraph is kind of insulting to NBA fans. This last season was the most watched in history and how can basketball have too many teams when the NBA, NHL and MLB all have 30 teams? The only "doomed" part of the NBA is the way the league is structured in terms of finance, and that's all stuff that's worked out behind the scenes. The actual quality of on court action is fantastic and the players of today are on average more athletic than those that came before them, so the entire critique just smacks of "I watched basketball when I was 12 but then Michael Jordan retired so I refuse to watch anymore".

All that being said I'm glad this game is every bit as amazing as 2K11. Problem is I own 2K11 and I still can't really say I'm bored of it so I don't wanna pay full price for some game mode additions. Maybe in a few months when the price drops... if it drops.

This is 100% correct. Much more succinct than the review from Alex I didn't need.

Posted by Mumrik

@jozzy:

Thanks. That sounds like everything I was surprised and annoyed to find missing in 2k11.

Posted by MelficeVKM

Suprised at the score!

Posted by Greenlight13

The opening paragraph is kind of insulting to NBA fans. This last season was the most watched in history and how can basketball have too many teams when the NBA, NHL and MLB all have 30 teams? The only "doomed" part of the NBA is the way the league is structured in terms of finance, and that's all stuff that's worked out behind the scenes. The actual quality of on court action is fantastic and the players of today are on average more athletic than those that came before them, so the entire critique just smacks of "I watched basketball when I was 12 but then Michael Jordan retired so I refuse to watch anymore".

All that being said I'm glad this game is every bit as amazing as 2K11. Problem is I own 2K11 and I still can't really say I'm bored of it so I don't wanna pay full price for some game mode additions. Maybe in a few months when the price drops... if it drops.

Posted by manawatermelon

@Sander said:

Could somebody explain to me what's happening on the box art? If it's supposed to be Jordan, then why is his jersey # 30-something?

It's 23... you can see the two if you look closely.

Posted by AV_Gamer

Great Review, Alex

Edited by Slaneesh

Ive bin playing through the my player mode and i must say im having a blast.

When you get good enougf though the coach keep you in for almost the entire game and i wish there was an option to be subbed out, simulate stale minutes where you already have an a+ rating and the game in the bag

Posted by JayDee

great review. i'm happy the series has been getting proper recognition the last 2 years.

Posted by alexisg

@JCTango: yeah kind of a bummer for sure. I also hate that you can't play with 2 or more people in those challenges. That being said you can unlock Wilkins and the rest of the hawks if you beat the Larry Bird Challenge.

Staff
Posted by craigbo180

@H2Oyea said:

Yeah, I never said they should review it. Just a response to the "who cares" portion.

Fair enough, FIFA is easily one of the biggest franchises in video games I mean it is the best selling sports game for EA year after year. I live in England literally 90% of people I know who play games buy FIFA religiously.

Posted by Fjordson

Not surprised at this score. Loving 2K12. Easily the best hoops game of all time. Don't know how 2K does it.

Posted by Hunkulese

I'm not sure why people are shocked about the review. NBA 2k11 was just as good.

Posted by l3illyl3ob

@TheClap said:

The PC version is half priced. Are there any differences?

PC version is identical to the console version, as far as I can tell. No real graphics options to make the game look better than the console versions, other than resolution and anti-aliasing. But otherwise with a 360 controller plugged in, it's exactly the same. I haven't found any bugs, either. Go for it.

Edited by GorillaMoPena

"Bill Walton's Celtics"

He did so much excellent towel waving those years. Are Dominique Wilkins' Celtics in here too?

Posted by JCTango

After playing 2k11 so much, it was hard to get into this version of the game because its predecessor was so arcade-y, even though it was awesome. This one is more sim-y and is therefore more challenging... at the same time though, it's very rewarding when you pull things off. Plays and getting open looks are very important in 2k12.

I'm just kinda bummed that Dominique Wilkins wasn't one of the Legends you can play as in the challenges.

Posted by lead_farmer

NBA 2K has basically been the most consistent sports game in recent memory.

Improvements made without taking parts of the game away that made it enjoyable? Finding ways to keep the controls polished and features fresh? Take notes EA. This is how you make a basketball game.

Posted by Sander

Could somebody explain to me what's happening on the box art? If it's supposed to be Jordan, then why is his jersey # 30-something?

Edited by jozzy

@Mumrik said:

2k11 really needed at solid training mode with detailed instructions and specific challenges etc. (like PES back in the day). I never got into it because the learning process was so frustrating. Not sure I'm going to give 12 a shot.

nba 2k12 has a training camp that covers all the controls grouped by different categories like shooting, passing, post-game and defense. They show you how to do a move and then you have to replicate it. At the end of a category you get a challenge 1 on 1 to use these moves and score enough points to proceed to the next category. When you get through all of them you can boot the seperate categories up again. It helped me a lot, and I will revisit this mode quite a lot until i can remember all the different moves, there are so many!

Since I am such a beginner I set the difficulty to rookie and play with an all-star team against one of the lower ranking teams and I have been able to win some and just generally having fun. It will take me a lot of time to master this game but it seems worth it.

Posted by BlatantNinja23

@Bobby_The_Great said:

@groin said:

@Thiemen said:

What he said. Giantbomb is US based. We're the only country in the world that doesn't care about FIFA/Soccer, and I like it that way.

Fifa still sells great in the US, the issue is probably that know one at GB cares enough that they feel they can do a worthy review. But Fifa 12 is amazing, go buy it, there's your review

Some of the players in 2k 12 still look really weird by the way, that engine still needs some tweaks

Posted by Aegon
@craigbo180 said:

@H2Oyea said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Thiemen said:

Who cares about FIFA? Doesn't Eurogamer or something review that?

More people care about FIFA than NBA.

That's great but no Giant Bomb reviewers care about soccer in the slightest so what would be the point in reviewing it? I doubt they know even all the basic rules of the sport. Alex is reviewing some sport games and that's cool but he at least seems to have a base level of interest in the sports as well. Giant Bomb has never really been a resource for reviews on sport simulations.

Yeah, I never said they should review it. Just a response to the "who cares" portion. 
Posted by SmilingPig

Too bad that I dont like B-ball, it looks great.

Posted by rmanthorp

@Zabant said:

@rmanthorp: you say that as if the same dev made both games.

Haha yeah it comes across like that huh? I just meant for expecting greatest out of Batman I'm also happy this did well :D

Now Rocksteady's NBA game, that would be TIIIIIIIGHHT!

Posted by dvorak

@TheClap said:

It's likely that they are just trying to move some PC copies. Sports games usually sell abysmally on non-consoles.

Posted by TheClap

Posted by Flappy

I'm happy to see that Alex has the same feelings about this game that I do. Play 2k12. It is a good game.

Posted by Dino_Sousa

I saw the TNT and I was really feeling a good vibe with this one. Glad to see Mr. Navarro's review confirms my expactations. Will buy it, fo' sure! Long live Navarro!

Posted by iceman228433

Great Review, kind of funny i never watch the real NBA anymore but i love these games, it has all the old players from the past that i love.

Posted by craigbo180

@H2Oyea said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Thiemen said:

That's great but no Giant Bomb reviewers care about soccer in the slightest so what would be the point in reviewing it? I doubt they know even all the basic rules of the sport. Alex is reviewing some sport games and that's cool but he at least seems to have a base level of interest in the sports as well. Giant Bomb has never really been a resource for reviews on sport simulations.

Posted by leejunfan83

@Mumrik: they have that its called training camp

Posted by Aegon
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Thiemen said:

Posted by TripMasterMunky

I don't know why the online always sucks so bad. I'd buy them if they fixed their broken online, being as that's how I'd mostly be playing.

Posted by Little_Socrates

Glad you are so smitten, Alex. This review sells me more on this game than the Batman review sells me on Batman. XP

Posted by Zabant

@rmanthorp: you say that as if the same dev made both games.

Posted by Rolyatkcinmai

@Thiemen said:

Posted by DostoyevskysShamblingCorpse

@Joker369 said:

@DostoyevskysShamblingCorpse: You should watch the tnt they did

Was that last night? I was busy getting my balls kicked in by Dark Souls. Hope it gets put up soon.

Posted by AlwaysBeClothing

I'm pretty shocked at the 5 star, but Alex is pretty fair in that this is the basketball game to get. I'm still unsure due to the online situation, but the review makes it sound like this is the game I want to be playing.

Posted by rndmtask

So, I guess I'm going to have to get this game too, huh. Too many games!

• 85 results