443 Comments
Posted by ahoodedfigure

Was going to ask if you could still play it by switching off the color, but it looks like they already thought of that as a feature. Excellent.

Strange how a font can evoke so much, like when I'm looking at a book printed in the fifties or sixties and it feels like from a different era just because of the shape of the letters, even if it were talking about the internet or space travel or rocket packs.  We have rocket packs, right?

Edited by Brackynews
@ArmyCrow said:

So, with this in mind, can I ask a simple question: If it's at all possible when games are released, for those of us fortunate (not set in their ways) enough to own and enjoy any and all flavours of computer system, can you do a brief comparison just so we know which version is best to get?

I agree with everything you said, but have you noticed this to not be the case here on GB? When there's multiple platforms listed in the top box up there, I've never found the review to not mention the platform differences, at least in passing (more similar than not, usually).
Great read Brad, glad you're back in full effect and good form. Now, get back to Final Fantasy IV! (or Red Dead, your choice. ;)
Posted by Blensoe

Great review. I'm looking forward to this. 

Posted by ArmyCrow

Just one comment from me and it's a thank you for putting in the comparison piece at the bottom. So many places I've looked on the net to find out a simple fact - which version runs best out of PS3 and XBox (being a dual owner) - and so many places I find that this simple question turns into a fight out between fanboy imbeciles who just want to flame the other system and it's users for being less of a human being for not agreeing with their chosen platform. So, with this in mind, can I ask a simple question: If it's at all possible when games are released, for those of us fortunate (not set in their ways) enough to own and enjoy any and all flavours of computer system, can you do a brief comparison just so we know which version is best to get?

Cheers!
Posted by ErisRon

Hey, Brad. Great review! Thanks for this. Kudos to your writing. Really impressive.
Posted by watersini

Quicklook. I love the idea, but I also hate watching cutscenes. However, rockstar games are consistently good so I might have to get this.

Posted by Cody218
@Peanut said:
It's really annoying how everyone just keeps labeling this a Rockstar game, despite the fact they're just publishing the thing. It'd be like if people called CoD an Activision joint. Give the actual developers their fucking due.
Agreed, this has been irritating me leading up to this games release.
Posted by Xsheps

Definitely getting this. . . for 360.    Was going to get for PS3 until that system became a security nightmare.

Posted by Peanut

It's really annoying how everyone just keeps labeling this a Rockstar game, despite the fact they're just publishing the thing. It'd be like if people called CoD an Activision joint. Give the actual developers their fucking due.

Posted by bobber205

Completely ignored this game and saw the 30 second ad on youtube. Was completely sold. My god. With that trailer and this review... whew. Couldn't resist.

Posted by Yalbit

Great review Brad, can't wait to pick this up.

Posted by GTFan712
@Dylabaloo said:
@GTFan712 said:

Didn't see that 5-star coming...

You sound like you're disappointed, would you rather it crashed and burned and got 2 stars? I for one am glad Brad liked this game that i'm looking forward too. Maybe you should read the review and or wait for the game to be released then come back with why you think this doesn't warrant 5 stars from Brad.
It's not that I was surprised that Brad gave it a 5-star, simply surprised that it is a good game. I've only seen a few ads for the game, and simply from my perception of the ads, I didn't expect the game to be as good as Brad found it to be. Not disappointed at all, but rather pleased, as I'd like any game with John Noble's likeliness do well.
Edited by smcn

though it should tell you something that there's an achievement for gunning down 100 bad guys and I didn't get it until the last case of the game.

One hundred dudes is a hell of a lot for one guy with a pistol.
Posted by Demon_Sandwich

nice to see risk are still  being taken

Posted by Moofey

Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow morning. With the couple of reviews that I've read so far it's something to look forward to.

Posted by Lepton

Ok, just watched some walkthroughs on YouTube and I have to say, "Why, oh, why the crappy driving sequences?"  Totally, totally immersion breaking.  Literally strangles to death and then craps on the cinematic presentation. Car-chase view.  Terrible driving mechanics and physics. Mini-map.  Mission title.  So terrible.  So hokey.  What a shame.

Posted by doe3879

a review without a quick look is not a full official review

Posted by Askherserenity

I want the Quick Look already!

Posted by nemt

Thanks for not having a weird looking shemale do the review, guys.
Edited by Dylabaloo
@GTFan712 said:

You sound like you're disappointed, would you rather it crashed and burned and got 2 stars? I for one am glad Brad liked this game that i'm looking forward too. Maybe you should read the review and or wait for the game to be released then come back with why you think this doesn't warrant 5 stars from Brad.
Posted by Quacktastic
@Lind_L_Taylor said:

"PS3 game is better than the Xbox version."  I've beenhearing this a lot lately. What the fuck happened, Mr. Softy?!The game sounds interesting, but not for $60.  I thinkI'll wait for a deep price drop before picking this up.Especially since my "console of choice" has the defective version of the game.

" This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer "
Posted by Lepton

So it's an over-glorified FMV game?  Makes one wonder why they didn't merely film the whole thing.  The uncanny valley has swallowed this game whole.  Way too much resemblance to known actors without the fidelity of their actual appearances.

Posted by Xpgamer7

Why I love both innovation and Rockstar.

Edited by bkbroiler

Going to buy this, but I hope it doesn't have any of the usual over the top characters in Rockstar games. I know it's a different team, but... 

also, I hope the "mature content" is actually handled maturely. I don't particularly need to see pedophiles and racism in my games just because the developer can put it in there. This game is gritty, ya'll! Check out this kid-fucker! And this guy chucking around the n-word!

Also, wish I had a PS3 for this game. And for many other things. :)
Posted by Gregomasta
@EgoCheck616 said:
BRING IT TO PC!
I need some 60fps love.
I agree.
Posted by TheDudeOfGaming

PC?...Yeah of course not...Well fuck it Rockstar, i may not have gotten an Xbox360 when RDR was released...but now i have to, fuck. 

Good review in any case. 

Posted by Jackel2072
@John1912 said:
@Microshock said:
It sounds good, and definitely like it's worth a play. Seems like the first  non-boring thing to come out of Rockstar that's not GTA. Red Dead Redemption was a borefest, and the story was really nothing special or even good, and even laughable at the end.

BUT 60 dollars? For a single player only game? I don't think so. Like other Rockstar games, it will hold its value for a while though.
Troll much?  RDR rocked! Story was not great, but great open world game/overall experience.  You are the type of gamer that makes people cringe.  Whine about a standard price, and the worst part the obligatory no multi player, not worth my money comment.  90% of MP SUCKS, nor should it be attempted to even shove in most games.
Red Dead Redemption had one of the best story's i have ever had the plesure of viewing. Not even from just a video game prospective either. John Marston was a complex deep man and that game brought up a lot of great philosophical questions, like can a man really change or more importantly will his past let him?  Not to mention the dialog was razor sharp and witty as hell. also one of the greatest ending in a game ever. 

Ok im done i just had to defend one of the more deeper story driven games i have played in a long long time. 
Posted by Duffyside

You won't fool me this time, Shoemaker/Rockstar. You may have somehow suckered me into 2 GTA games and Red Dead Redemption, but I'm not gonna be fooled again!

... Will wait for Quick Look.
Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Thanks for the review, Brad. Looking forward to playing the game.

Posted by John1912
@Microshock said:
It sounds good, and definitely like it's worth a play. Seems like the first  non-boring thing to come out of Rockstar that's not GTA. Red Dead Redemption was a borefest, and the story was really nothing special or even good, and even laughable at the end.

BUT 60 dollars? For a single player only game? I don't think so. Like other Rockstar games, it will hold its value for a while though.
Troll much?  RDR rocked! Story was not great, but great open world game/overall experience.  You are the type of gamer that makes people cringe.  Whine about a standard price, and the worst part the obligatory no multi player, not worth my money comment.  90% of MP SUCKS, nor should it be attempted to even shove in most games.
Posted by Gerhabio

NEED TO PLAY

Posted by GTFan712

Posted by Microshock

Posted by pekoe212

I also like the fact that this game seems linear enough to carry a strong story, but with enough freedom within that broad path to feel open and encourage exploration. Heavy Rain was enjoyable while I was playing it, but when it was done the experience felt hollow. You are on rails through the whole thing and I really had no desire to play through it again and struggle with the same damn button prompts over and over just to get a different ending (and I tried). I like that in LA Noire you can replay individual cases. No rails there, and no having to replay the entire game.

Posted by Dan_CiTi

While this is not completely Rockstar's work, after releasing Red Dead Redemption last year, I expected no less. Fantastic, I can't wait to get into this one. 

Posted by Pop

Great review Brad, I was really curious to find out what this game was like.

Posted by Nekroskop
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
"PS3 game is better than the Xbox version."  I've beenhearing this a lot lately. What the fuck happened, Mr. Softy?!The game sounds interesting, but not for $60.  I thinkI'll wait for a deep price drop before picking this up.Especially since my "console of choice" has the defective version of the game.
How's that copy of Brink?
Posted by ThePantheon

Awesome review Doctor Shoecrafter

I can't wait to pick up the PS3 version when it hits our Aussie shores this Fri.
Here's hoping the Aussie PSN is up to get that DLC.

Posted by DAFTPUNK

great review brad!

Posted by whitesox

Kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi.  It seems like this game addresses one of the big issues with similar games under Rockstar (Yes, I know Team Bondi developed it), in that it removes the possibility of an apparently good at heart character such as John Marston killing scores of people as he wanders around the world, only to arrive at his next mission a week later and be greeted as if he'd wasted no time in getting there. 

Posted by PrioritySeven
@CozmoD said:
Is it true?
I heard in the PlayStation 3 "exclusive" bonus case you have to find out who stole your identity after the PSN gets hacked.
Topical!
Posted by Rio

As soon as I've had my fill of The Witcher 2, this is bought.

Posted by CozmoD

Is it true?

I heard in the PlayStation 3 "exclusive" bonus case you have to find out who stole your identity after the PSN gets hacked.
Posted by Bubbly

Should be getting my copy tomorrow. I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

Posted by Dizzyhippos

Thank god a new game not GTA 1940

Posted by HerbieBug
@pyromaster222 said:
It is kind of cool that is drastically different from other games on the market.
and kudos to R* for making it so.  I want to see more risks taken.  More new ideas brought to the table.  Stop iterating old franchises to death and beyond. 
Posted by geoff_26

man o' man i want this game

Posted by MisterMouse

It is kind of cool that is drastically different from other games on the market.

Posted by HerbieBug

Oh god.  My nipples are rigid in anticipation.  <3

Posted by Olivaw
@KuribosShoe said:
@JohnPaulVann said:
Fuck this game. Read Raymond Chandler, Jim Thompson, James Ellroy. 
but this game is a tribute to those authors and noir in general

you should play it AND read those things
And really, if you're going to make people read noir, you'd be better off with just Chandler and Hammett.