443 Comments
Posted by RobotHamster

I'm getting this for free tomorrow, thanks Amazon!

Posted by Theavy

This game is made by Australians but will they be able to buy it in Australia?

Posted by HermanMarte

really really wanna play this

Posted by OllyOxenFree
@Turkish_Heavy said:
This game is made by Australians but will they be able to buy it in Australia?
Nope!
Posted by icytower38

I hope you guys are planning on a quick look

Posted by KuribosShoe
@sofacitysweetheart said:

@KuribosShoe said:

@Underachiever007 said:

@TomeOne said:

Damnit, Brad. You just had to start the review by crediting the game to Rockstar and not Team Bondi, didn't you? Now everyone will keep thinking it's another Rockstar game therefore it should be exactly like other Rockstar games.

This. Rockstar can only seem make one kind of game. This doesn't appear to be it.
Really, guys. Next to giving 4 stars to a Lego game and this... its time to put Brad to sleep :x
What's wrong with giving a Lego game 4 stars?
Have you played them? Not only are they all the same, but their entire weight in value is from the franchise they're riding on. They're budget kid's games and the gameplay shows. There's not really an excuse for slapping 4 stars on it and praising the same recycled tepid action and graphics like it's something new and interesting.

Not to mention, TT Games is doing everything that people here criticise Activision for doing with their games. Only they're for kids, so it's acceptable :/

Also, why is Brad comparing this game at every turn to GTA? Just wondering...
Maybe you don't understand how reviews work.  You see, if a person enjoys a game, they give it a high score, and then you, as the consumer, have to decide whether you agree with their assessment.  If you don't, why, you just don't buy the game.  If someone praises a game you don't like, it does not make them bad at their job, it makes them different from you.  We're all different, that's what makes the world such a special place!  Now you run along and play.
A review is more to do with critically accessing and reporting than personal enjoyment. Nice try, though.
From the site FAQ:

We do not use any algorithms to reach our final scores, relying instead on the experience of the reviewer. While fundamental issues such as graphical performance and gameplay originality will almost always be factors in determining a final score, it ultimately comes down to how worthwhile the reviewer found the whole experience to be.

Clearly, Brad Shoemaker found Lego Pirates to be a worthwhile experience.  You did not.  If you disagree with how the site does its reviews, maybe you should not be here.  If I saw some sort of evidence of poor writing or lack of integrity, maybe I'd agree with you.  But it seems to me you're just mad that he doesn't have the same opinions as you.
Posted by 234r2we232
@DonPixel said:
@Meowshi said:

@Underachiever007 said:

@TomeOne said:

Damnit, Brad. You just had to start the review by crediting the game to Rockstar and not Team Bondi, didn't you? Now everyone will keep thinking it's another Rockstar game therefore it should be exactly like other Rockstar games.

This. Rockstar can only seem make one kind of game. This doesn't appear to be it.
Really, guys. Next to giving 4 stars to a Lego game and this... its time to put Brad to sleep :x
What's wrong with giving a Lego game 4 stars?
Have you played them? Not only are they all the same, but their entire weight in value is from the franchise they're riding on. They're budget kid's games and the gameplay shows. There's not really an excuse for slapping 4 stars on it and praising the same recycled tepid action and graphics like it's something new and interesting.
Not to mention, TT Games is doing everything that people here criticise Activision for doing with their games. Only they're for kids, so it's acceptable :/

Also, why is Brad comparing this game at every turn to GTA? Just wondering...
Go away.
Team Bondi might as well be called Rockstar Australia in the future.. they are just another studio assembled by Rockstar and the direct influence of they it evident.

and Yea at the end who cares? .. I second Meowshi this is the kind of stupid pointless conversation will go for countless post in Neogaf ( don't believe go check yourself ) .. so fuck off. 
"Those guys they're soooo stupid. Unlike us, we're sooooo classy and soooo much better at everything. ...so fuck off yo"

And until Rockstar Australia are making bird collectables for the next GTA game, they're still Team Bondi.
Posted by Dunchad

Sounds good. I guess I'll just have to hope they bring it to PC, since I don't own any current gen consoles.

Posted by OldGuy
@KuribosShoe: Try as you might, you know you aren't going to win this one... you should probably ignore the big baby...
Posted by MoeQawama

SOLD!

Edited by Nomin

The Stoic North Carolinian strikes again, very eloquent and informative review writeup Mr. Shoemaker.

Posted by JoeyRavn

Great. Thanks A BUNCH, Detective Shoemaker. I canceled my order of the Limited Edition of Alan Wake to pre-order this :@

Posted by Jimbo

Nice.  I hope their ambition is rewarded with decent sales.

If you have to take the cases in a set order, hopefully it won't attract any of the asinine criticism about 'doing open-world wrong', like Mafia did.

Posted by TURbo

Looking forward to getting this game once it drops down in price.

Posted by MachoFantastico

Fantastic review Brad, can't wait.

Thanks for the tip on the differences with the versions, I wasn't sure. 

Edited by ape_dosmil

Rockstar is not one single developer either. There are various Rockstar development houses. The main GTA games are for the most part developed by Rockstar North in Edinburgh, Scotland. Red Dead Redemption was developed for the most part by Rockstar San Diego. Chinatown Wars was developed by Rockstar Leeds. But you talk about them all as Rockstar games. This really isn't that different. It's developed by Team Bondi, but it's still a Rockstar game.

EDIT: It's not just a publisher, developer relationship. It was a joint effort, Rockstar were also involved in the development side on L.A. Noire.

Posted by xxNBxx

Always love reading a Shoemaker review, great job Brad.

Posted by deskp

Relived this game got a good score, i had this game preordered without really knowing alot about it.

Posted by TorMasturba

I'll buy this in a few days and get my girlfriend in on the action, she loves stuff like this in her array of interests of TV shows, CSI, The wire, The Mentalist and House M.D. etc... (I know none of them are Noir, but hey they're close enough to peak her interests ain't they.)

She loves to join me on on adventure games and if Brad's way of describing it, which he seems to be at the top of his game today, in this review marries up with what I feel he means then we'll thoroughly enjoy playing this game together.

EDIT: We have and understanding that neither of us push each other to hurry up and move in these games.

Posted by MonkeyKing1969

My pre-order should show up soon, but it is nice to see a huge numbers of postive reviews...but I have a funny feeling I would have enjoyed this game a lot even if it did only half of what it set out to do.  I love investigation games!
Posted by StealthRaptor
@Brad said:

@mr_tickles said:

@StealthRaptor said:
Awsome, but how long is it?
Yeah.....that ^^

About 20 hours for the storyline alone, more if you do the side missions and otherwise mess around in the open world a bit.

Good deal. Thanks for the speedy reply!
Posted by raidingkvatch

So fucking excited for when Amazon push this through my door on Friday.

Posted by Afroman269

Holy shit, no one can ever go through a review without finding at least one thing to bitch about. This community is the best.

Posted by DonPixel
@sofacitysweetheart: You got that right troll. 
Posted by JMitch

Glad I switched my preorder to ps3

Posted by yyZiggurat

Great review, Brad.  I'll pick this one up tomorrow.

Posted by ShadowKnight508

I will be getting this game later this week...this great review has convinced me that this game is worth my investment.

Posted by dd2090x2

Great review. cant wait to get my hands on this. now i really hope theres a quick look of this coming up. pretty please. 

Posted by 234r2we232
@KuribosShoe said: 

From the site FAQ:

We do not use any algorithms to reach our final scores, relying instead on the experience of the reviewer. While fundamental issues such as graphical performance and gameplay originality will almost always be factors in determining a final score, it ultimately comes down to how worthwhile the reviewer found the whole experience to be.

Clearly, Brad Shoemaker found Lego Pirates to be a worthwhile experience.  You did not.  If you disagree with how the site does its reviews, maybe you should not be here.  If I saw some sort of evidence of poor writing or lack of integrity, maybe I'd agree with you.  But it seems to me you're just mad that he doesn't have the same opinions as you.
Yes. Me saying he's welcome to give whatever game whatever score he chooses and how I find it difficult to take Brad's opinion seriously is a clear sign that I'm mad. Raagh. etc.

And I wouldn't take the FAQ too seriously, as I'm pretty sure every review site has a set of public guidelines. I believe at some point, most of the staff have openly admitted to "not enjoying a game but understanding it's merits". That's how it goes. Please see Jeff's Crysis 2 review.

@DonPixel said:

@sofacitysweetheart: You got that right troll. 

I got the right troll? Is it you? It sounds like you! I'm betting it's you :D
Posted by mostman

Sigh - here we go again with the system choice.  I like achievements - so I like the 360.  I also like things to look their best - so I like the PS3.  Which one.... I had this same issue with Portal 2 and ended up with the 360 version.  

Posted by mr_tickles
@Brad said:

@mr_tickles said:

@StealthRaptor said:
Awsome, but how long is it?
Yeah.....that ^^

About 20 hours for the storyline alone, more if you do the side missions and otherwise mess around in the open world a bit.

There is a reason you ARE my avatar Mr. Shoemaker............

Posted by NewfieBullet

Awesome review, can't wait to pick this up.

Posted by Dudacles

PS3 version it is.

Edited by Cirdain

I CALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F YEAH!!!

bet

bonus
× 2.09

return
+ 167,200

+127,200

:)

PS....I wish this was on PC :(
Posted by Hef

Everyone needs to take it easy. "OH BRAD DIDN'T EVEN CREDIT TEAM BONDI ?!?! HE GAVE 4 STARS TO A  LEGO GAME!!"

Seriously.  How crappy are your lives that you actually spend time worrying about this shit.  It doesn't matter, at all.  You know when this site first started none of this shit happened.  That's why I loved this site.  I still do, but these comments are really starting to remind me of gamespot.  In summation: calm the fuck down, you're the only people taking these unimportant issues way too seriously.

Posted by Solh0und

Great review but I'm not planning to pick this up until later this year.

Posted by Alex_Carrillo

Does the PS3 version support 1080p, or is it locked at 720?

Posted by CastroCasper

This excites me. I have been looking forward to this game for a LOOOONG time and every trailer I see it just looks better and better. I was starting to get worried that I might have built myself up too much for this game, but 5 stars is making me think it might just be that good.

Posted by Brodehouse

It seems weird to comment on the character design, because there's really no design, at least not as we traditionally describe video games with.  It's like the difference between characters in animated and live action, if a cartoon looks interesting it's due to the animators, if a person looks interesting it's because of their genes and maybe the costume director.

How does one compare Cole Phelps to a Bayonetta or even a Mario in terms of aesthetics?  Is it truly design, or just casting?  The tech to realize it is of course, mindblowing, but is it really a credit to the art team the way the design of a krogan or a splicer is?

Posted by Robo
@Alex_Carrillo: I believe it is 720p max
Posted by Deathpooky

Can't wait for this to arrive tomorrow.  And very glad to hear it's more of an adventure game than anything.  I was worried it would take too much from GTA and destroy the experience.

Posted by sarahsdad

For Brad, (or anyone that might have gotten a copy early) is there a particular mechanic in the game that lets you know you arrested the wrong person, or is it up to you to recognize this somehow?

Posted by killroyjackson

Understandable

Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials

Interesting. I might reverse my decision not to buy it depending on what I hear tomorrow on the podcast. I really like that it's more of an adventure game.

Posted by FloMo

Excellent review. One thing I would like to know though is whether the Film Reels you can collect (if I am not mistaken) also lead to cutscenes like the newspaper articles.

Posted by Toxin066

Brad, you know how to write a review. From this, I got the info I needed to shift me from a "wary" to a "sold!"

Posted by Curufinwe

Getting a 5/5 out of Brad is pretty damn easy.

Posted by CaptainYes05

Awesome.  Need to clear some backlog first, but this will be mine!

Posted by Bloodlines

Now i have too buy it on friday then. Thanks Brad for shifting me from meh too sold.

Edited by CornBREDX

Wow, this sounds incredible.

When I have the money I want to get this game.

Also, great writing on that review. Now I know what this game is about, at least more so then I did. Sounds like a really cool game.