443 Comments
Posted by fallingskyline

really a great game, but too short

Posted by Digraven

Great Game!!!!!!!

Posted by Twigg4075

@Brad said:

@Twigg4075 said:

I almost stopped watching this review once I realized it was the 360 version. But why am I surprised? Do these guys ever play any multi-platform games on anything other than the 360? Certain games make sense but this game is a port on 360, is on 3 discs, and doesn't come with the extra content. Why play the inferior version for review? Unless they don't have any say so in what version gets sent?And yes, I have a 360 and a PS3 (and a Wii for that matter) but it was a no brainer getting the PS3 version of this game.

There's just as much footage of the PS3 version in this video review as there is the 360, I played through the game first on the PS3, and I said flat out in the review that it's the better version, but of course you'd rather jump to conclusions so you can complain about something on the Internet. Thanks for enriching our community!

I caught a lot of flak for my statement, and rightfully so. I don't know if I was drunk when I posted this, on my period (ha), or both. The video review obviously shows plenty of PS3 footage. I don't remember if I was basing me remarks off of comments I heard on the podcast or what? It's been so long I honestly don't remember. I happen to visit the sight again today for the first time in months and noticed all the replies to this post. Mostly every one was right for calling me out, except whomever it was that called me a "fanboi". Fanboy I am not. I'll be the first one to tell you that most games these days are still better on 360 because the developer normally creates the game for that platform and ports to PS3. This game was one of the exceptions. Heck,eight of the last ten games I've purchased have been on 360.

Not that anyone probably even bothers to check in on this thread anymore but I figured I would apologize anyway because my comments were quite ignorant in retrospect.

Posted by D3TONATOR

Awesome

Edited by NellyK

I've only played through disc 1, but I'm really enjoying LA Noire so far. I can see it getting a little repetitive with the foot chases and such, but I like the characters, setting, and music so much, that I'm too immersed in the world to care about its many flaws. I would love to see another game using this tech and game formula, perhaps set in Prohibition-era Chicago. Go after Capone and his thugs as Elliot Ness. Or go after the coke cartels in 80s Miami. Or even turn of the century New York City could be a fun setting for this kind of game. 

Edited by WreckedReviews

What a fantastic game. Check out what we had to say about Rockstar Games' newest masterpiece over at Wrecked Reviews, a new entertainment site run by regular guys like you. http://wp.me/s1iCBb-lanoire

Posted by EliteCreations

This is an EXCELLENT review, seriously!

Posted by BenderUnit22

I'm only on my fourth case or so, but I'm really hating the whole interrogation mechanic which is basically like playing the lottery. Most of the time it's extremely unclear what you're doubting or having to disprove. Controls are also pretty terrible for the action sequences tbh, like having your run button also be your fire trigger and you'd think people have figured out cover mechanics by now.

Posted by TEAMHOLT

The writing in this game is flagrantly bad, filled with poor logic, an inconsistent main character, and outright idiocy. I'm earnestly disappointed that the Giant Bomb guys like the game as much as they do. You pretty much have to ignore what everyone says and does in this game to turn around and laud it for great storytelling.

Posted by kilaen

Brad's review is great. He hits on some elements that I wholeheartedly agree with. Maybe I'm getting old but I'm so tired of the big budget modern combat games. It's nice to play something different like L.A. Noire. Yes there are many indie games that are "different" but you rarely see something as big budget as L.A. Noire.

Posted by Kombat

I agree with everything Brad has to say in this review. 

Honestly, I haven't felt this immersed in a game's narrative in quite some time, if ever. There are games with better stories, like Fallout 3 or Red Dead Redemption (in my humble opinion), but this one is presented in such an...authentic method that I can't help but feel mesmerized by the quality of it. I am not one that likes to use visuals as a qualifier, but I think it has a lot to do with this new facial animation stuff. It is pretty damn cool. 

I'm ankle-deep into the Xbox 360 version, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Posted by Chango

Great work brad.

Posted by Kohe321

Great review, still need to play this shizz

Posted by Nelez

Finally got to play this game. I love it!

Posted by MmaFanQc
@StealthRaptor: between 13-17hrs
Posted by cabelhigh
@Sparky_Buzzsaw

I keep hearing all this Mafia II complaints, but what makes LA Noire so great is that you don't HAVE to interact with that completely empty open world if you don't want to. I can push a button and have my partner drive everywhere for me, right into a loading screen. And, really, all I want is for a game to have great main missions, and LA Noire has those. This is a linear game that happens to have an optional open world, not an open world game with optional story missions (aka every other open world game out there).
Posted by MmaFanQc

Awesome game!

Posted by Xsheps
@smcn: There are rifles too, and probably other guns.
Posted by AndyMP

I think I want this game. Pretty awesome.

Posted by McAnuff
@Brad said:

@Twigg4075 said:

I almost stopped watching this review once I realized it was the 360 version. But why am I surprised? Do these guys ever play any multi-platform games on anything other than the 360? Certain games make sense but this game is a port on 360, is on 3 discs, and doesn't come with the extra content. Why play the inferior version for review? Unless they don't have any say so in what version gets sent?And yes, I have a 360 and a PS3 (and a Wii for that matter) but it was a no brainer getting the PS3 version of this game.

There's just as much footage of the PS3 version in this video review as there is the 360, I played through the game first on the PS3, and I said flat out in the review that it's the better version, but of course you'd rather jump to conclusions so you can complain about something on the Internet. Thanks for enriching our community!

I second that. Nice one Brad.
Posted by IrishBrewed
@Brad said:

@Twigg4075 said:

That would be a BURN, and just shows how subtle the differences are between the two even the fanboi was confuse on the two versions......I have the free version game is great....
Posted by Brad

@Twigg4075 said:

Staff
Edited by Napalm
@Keeng said:

@sandwich_adjustment said:

this has my vote for least convincing review ever
I feel the same way. I was waiting on the part where he explains why this is a five-star game or says something about how the game actually plays. It's entirely about the atmosphere and concept. Those two things about the game look great but how does it play? Rockstar games have always gotten a free pass on actual gameplay and I'm very curious to see if that's what happened here. Brad's usually all about praising or condemning the mechanics of a game (Dead Space, StarCraft, Uncharted 2) and he's totally ignoring those things with this. Maybe it's for a good reason.
What are you talking about? Videogames aren't about mechanics. Videogames exist purely to be one-hundred percent about the story and nothing else.
C'mon, don't be crazy. Who wants to play a videogame that is actually meant for pressing buttons to do stuff? That's crazy talk.

/extreme sarcasm

@Meowshi said:
@zoner said:
Mafia 2 - Open world with not much to do in it other than the story. 3/5
LA Noire - Open world iwth not much to do in it other than the story. 5/5

lolwat
Mafia 2 had boring story missions, LA Noire doesn't.  

How bloody hard is it to figure out?
Hey asshole, your opinion is one hundred percent subjective. Maybe you shouldn't talk like you're talking facts. How bloody hard is that to figure out?
Posted by selbie
@morrelloman said:
That strange doodle looks like Jeff. That's why you showed it, right. Hysterical.
That isn't actually in the game. That sketch of Jeff has been floating around the forums for a while now. Vinny just found the perfect place to photoshop it in :P
Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw

Don't get me wrong here.  I think LA Noire is a great game, but I feel like some of the problems with L.A. Noire are being overlooked here.  In a way, it suffers from a lot of the same problems as Mafia 2.  Sure, there's a wonderful, well-crafted open world here, but why?  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems like there's very little to do other than cases.  The car "collection" just consists of popping into new cars you haven't driven yet.  There are lots of restaurants and diners, with people just sort of milling about and no possible interactions.  There are lots of landmarks, but they don't play any role other than to act as collectibles.

I can't help but feel like the game could have used some side activities not related to being a cop.  I don't mean anything illegal or Grand Theft Auto-ish.  But surely they could have worked in more reasons to explore and more reasons to care about this spectacular recreation of Los Angeles.  As it is now, it feels like the open world elements, as in Mafia 2, really could have just been reduced to smaller chunks to create a better flow of game.

Posted by Xsheps

I just started this game and already like it more than Heavy Rain (which I loved).  Its probably the shooting.   Quick time controls get boring after a while.

Edited by Roger778

This is going to be the next game I buy, and I can't wait to play it.

Once again, great review as always, Brad.

Posted by Ben99

LMAO! It's JEFF AT THE END !!

Posted by drewbert

@SuperSambo said:

@Twigg4075 said:
He played both and said that the PS3 version was superior. Maybe they only had the 360 version for the video review, but he played it on both.

For the record, the footage used in the video review is just about a 50-50 split between PS3 and 360.

Staff
Posted by Eric

yup, looks just like Jeff!

Posted by SuperSambo
@Twigg4075 said:
He played both and said that the PS3 version was superior. Maybe they only had the 360 version for the video review, but he played it on both.
Posted by crapdragoon

YES.
Posted by Xeiphyer
@ssejllenrad said:
Great review but Noire is not pronounced as "Nowire"... hehehe!
He pronounces it properly at the beginning, not sure if you mean some other part. It kind of is pronounced like that, not 'nowire' perhaps, more like 'nuar'. It rhymes with "bar" or "car".
Posted by Subjugation

Best ending ever haha! Props to whoever edited that in because they made my day.

Edited by Twigg4075

I almost stopped watching this review once I realized it was the 360 version. But why am I surprised? Do these guys ever play any multi-platform games on anything other than the 360? Certain games make sense but this game is a port on 360, is on 3 discs, and doesn't come with the extra content. Why play the inferior version for review? Unless they don't have any say so in what version gets sent?

And yes, I have a 360 and a PS3 (and a Wii for that matter) but it was a no brainer getting the PS3 version of this game.

Posted by ssejllenrad

Great review but Noire is not pronounced as "Nowire"... hehehe!

Posted by JoelTGM

ah thanks for the video review.  This game looks aaaaaawesome!  Rockstar is amazing.  They actually change it up significantly from game to game instead of just cranking out the same thing over and over again like Call of Duty for example.

Posted by firecracker22

Nice review, Shoemaker. Well written, and broken down nicely.

Btw...was that Jeff at the end of the video review?!

Posted by Keeng
@sandwich_adjustment said:
this has my vote for least convincing review ever
I feel the same way. I was waiting on the part where he explains why this is a five-star game or says something about how the game actually plays. It's entirely about the atmosphere and concept. Those two things about the game look great but how does it play? Rockstar games have always gotten a free pass on actual gameplay and I'm very curious to see if that's what happened here. Brad's usually all about praising or condemning the mechanics of a game (Dead Space, StarCraft, Uncharted 2) and he's totally ignoring those things with this. Maybe it's for a good reason.
Posted by DaveMoshi

This game just looks so interesting. I'm glad we're moving into an era in which people are trying to tell serious stories in games. It may not be the future of gaming, but it's definitely a path we need to go down and at least try on for size. Can't wait to play this baby! Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Posted by JoaoGri

I want this game so bad....

Posted by Meowshi
@zoner said:
Mafia 2 - Open world with not much to do in it other than the story. 3/5
LA Noire - Open world iwth not much to do in it other than the story. 5/5

lolwat
Mafia 2 had boring story missions, LA Noire doesn't.  

How bloody hard is it to figure out?
Posted by morrelloman

That strange doodle looks like Jeff. That's why you showed it, right. Hysterical.

Posted by JBrighty

nice camo in the last few seconds.. wait.. what? Jeff is in there ! lol

Posted by DG991

Yo, the end of that video review was the best thing I have ever seen.... hahahaha

Posted by MarkBGH

STRANGE DOODLE

Posted by Stepside

Excellent review.

Posted by ONEHERO

nice one shoemaker

Posted by Spongetwan
Great game so far!! I am loving it! I sucked at first at telling if they are being truthful or not. Starting to get the hang on it though.
Edited by BraveToaster

Good review! The end was pretty funny.