120 Comments
  • 120 results
Posted by fox01313

Shame that they are ditching the RF franchise for now as it's a wonderful & barely used setting. After playing this myself & using the magnet gun for a bulk of the game (save for the monoliths or bosses), the game was fun but in a very limited format compared to the previous RF Guerrilla. Just about every area for me was using the magnet gun to kill everything (with or without using the structures to kill things) but then there were many times of rebuilding whole sections of the level or falling down absentmindedly through some half-built walkway to a pit of doom. Would have loved it if for this game they just took the magnet gun & other tools in this one, took the world from RF Guerrilla then put the game at about half human enemies & half aliens. Would have been more fun then or just taking the crazy they put into Saints Row3 then just made this Red Faction game into wacky Martian fun.

Posted by xXLeadFarmerXx

Kind of disappointed, but still excited for the game.

Posted by Richard76

I was afraid this was going to happen. When I tried the demo I loved the new weapons and thought to myself this great. As long as they go outside too. Too bad they forgot what the last game was all about. This went from a must buy to a maybe rent when I get some free time. Very disappointing.

Posted by kblood

Grate Review!

Posted by mrhankey
@CornBREDX

Excuse me sir are you blaming steam for the broken game or Volition? The freezing you described isn't a  STEAM issue, as STEAM is just a distribution platform. If the game is broken it is up to the developer not the distributor to fix it. You can also find this same info on STEAM's support website.
Posted by kingzetta

k-mart is price cutting it to 40 bucks on the 12th

Posted by Cirdain

It says SyFy games on the front cover.... *shakes head in disgust*

Edited by vhold

I don't know why people think this game is going to do so badly, GiantBomb isn't the only review site, it's doing decent on Metacritic : http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/red-faction-armageddon 

I'm torn, I've played the demo on the 360, and the destruction was impressive, and I can see how a linear shooter based around it is a relatively novel idea.  I definitely had more fun in the demo than they had in the quick look.

Posted by ptys

This reviews sucks, this guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Red Faction Armoury... maggen deserves 10 stars!!

Sorry, just my impersonation of an IGN/Gamespot reply. Thanks Brad, will dodge this landmine!

Posted by Heliosicle

why didn't they just do a more advanced Guerrilla :(

Posted by jakob187

Wait wait wait...

NO COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER?! THEY TOOK OUT THE BEST PART OF GUERRILLA?!

Fuck you, Volition. Fuck you right in your stupid asses. Why would you forsake us like that?

Posted by Sprizmo

A damn shame. I wanted bigger badder Gueriila.

Posted by suicidepacmen

I played the demo and enjoyed it.  If it's just more of that I have no problem with getting the game since I enjoyed the magnet gun and asshole physics so much.  Plus the multiplayer is bound to be fun as hell.

Posted by TheKbob

I have had this vibe for a LONG TIME.  Since the first we saw the first trailers of RF:A.  They weren't showing blowing up stuff, but shooting stuff.  Shame, really. 

Posted by Maxszy

I don't get it. I am so disappointed. Guerilla was so much fun. It was a bit of just "Pure Fun" which is something I get out of a few games. (Fable 2 is the only one to jump out at me really quick right now). I would say "Pure Fun" is just an overall enjoyable experience without much if any frustration.  

That's what Guerilla was. And they went and made this, a linear game that takes the focus away from what made its predecessor so great? Boooo on them. I will be skipping this for sure, until maybe it hits the $20 point if that. Here's to hoping they go back to the Guerilla roots with the NEXT red faction. 

All in all though, I'm a bit bummed out.

Posted by stage

So, what the fuck? They went from an amazing, open-ended game with a great world and tons of fun, to a bad, linear, underground shooter with aliens? It's like they said "What was awesome with Guerrilla?" and then made its exact counterpart!

Posted by MjHealy

Ah, what a shame. I would test this game out for myself but with my limited funds at the moment, I can't be putting money down on full priced average games. I think I shall explore the back catalouge over the dry summer months.

Posted by ChillyUK7

Guerilla got similar reviews but I loved that game, im torn between this and InFamous 2 :(

Posted by GetEveryone

Shame. I really enjoyed Guerrilla; it did a lot of things fantastically well. After Just Cause 2, Guerrilla and so on, smaller action titles had been looking up. 

Might still pick this up when I get paid...

Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition

No surprise really. I played the demo once, and that was enough. Who in their right mind decided that it was a good idea to do a full 180 from Guerrilla.

Posted by HatKing
@StingingVelvet: You're right.  I'm not sure why I was under the impression that Volition just bought the title.  I guess that goes to show you how different it really is. hah... And yes, I do understand that--I'm in the same boat too.  I really appreciate a sequel that departs from the original in some way (i.e.: art style, gameplay, story).  Red Dead Redemption might be an extreme case, but it's a good example.  I also enjoyed the Prince of Persia (reboot thing?) up until the last twenty minutes.
Posted by Martdawg

Fable 3 and now this, I hope this isn't the year of terrible sequels.

Posted by PieGuy

I loved Red Faction 1, Red Faction 2 was great for the multiplayer and bots aspect. Didn't like the direction they took with Guerilla and this doesn't look great either.

Will THQ be giving GiantBomb a early review copy again I wonder =P

Posted by blacklab

Pretty much what I expected after playing the demo.

Edited by DougQuaid

I'm pretty surprised Brad gave this 3 stars. Considering how lukewarm the guys have been on this and how completely below average and uninspired this game seems to me, I can't help but think Brad was being pretty generous with the final score.

Posted by adamazing

The first sentence of this review sums it all up (I did read the whole review though).  As I said in a comment on the "Quick Look" of RF:A, I hate to see people lose their jobs but people should pay for their mistakes.  Volition really screwed up here.  They went backwards.  To me, the most likely scenario of how this game was developed goes like this... 

- The boss's son got a job at Volition
- He was assigned as director/producer of RF:A
- He made a bunch of bad decisions because he didn't know what he was doing.
- The Volition team thought, "These are all terrible ideas, but we can't say anything... It's the boss's son! "
- RF:A was made, as is.

Posted by Cirdain

FUCCCKKK!!! I'mcalling.it was down and I couldn't cancel my bet.... fuck

Posted by Microshock

Yeah, I was disappointed in the way they took the series right after Armageddon's trailer came out. How do you go from awesome open world destruction to linear underground cave shooter with barely anything to even blow up?! 

It's just sad. RFG needed a sequel, but this is crap.

Posted by dropabombonit

It's a shame that this game didn't turn out great, last game was so much fun

Posted by rmanthorp

Nice review. 

Too many good games to pick this up anyway...

Posted by bhhawks78

Such a bummer, best part about guerilla the open world destruction is gone, and the worst parts - shooting and enemy ai are in the forefront :((

Posted by Metal_Mills

If this had a bigger world with more stuff to destroy, I'd have bought it instantly. Too bad they went in the exact direction no one wanted.

Posted by StingingVelvet
@HatKing said:
Yes, but outside of name, Red Faction and Red Faction 2 were basically a different series, you know?  The story is pretty much entirely new, the developer is new and the gameplay is only vaguely reminiscent (deforming terrain~destructible buildings?).  I think most people are shocked by this transition because it seems to be very much a step in the wrong direction.  A game like Red Faction Guerrilla was exactly the type that needed a sandbox environment.  It seems odd that they would see what people loved so much about that game and step away from it. 
It's the same developer, but yes you are right the third game was very different.  This one seems different from all three really.  I'm just saying I personally am very good at taking each game on its own.  Deus Ex is my favorite game every and Invisible War is not a good sequel to it, but I still like Invisible War as a game.  Know what I mean?

It does sound like this game is just flat-out not as good as Guerrilla even without expectations though.
Posted by Hearse

I'm all for trying something new with a franchise but to take it in a more generic direction isn't the right way to go.

Posted by Cheesebob

Blimey, from the way that Brad was talking about this game on the quick look, it seemed like it was a 2 star game.

Posted by AhmadMetallic

that's a shame 

no purchase

Posted by floodiastus

In the age of Minecraft, I am flabberghasted that they decided to make the game less destructible. Give us the whole planet to mold!!!!!

Edited by HatKing
@StingingVelvet said:

I'm pretty immune to "this game is not like the one before it" disease so I think I will keep my pre-order.  Still it does seem to be more of an average game than a good one by all accounts, which is a shame.  Thanks Brad for not acting like this series was always open world, which several other sites did.  As we all should know RF1 and RF2 were linear games.

Yes, but outside of name, Red Faction and Red Faction 2 were basically a different series, you know?  The story is pretty much entirely new, the developer is new and the gameplay is only vaguely reminiscent (deforming terrain~destructible buildings?). 

I think most people are shocked by this transition because it seems to be very much a step in the wrong direction.  A game like Red Faction Guerrilla was exactly the type that needed a sandbox environment.  It seems odd that they would see what people loved so much about that game and step away from it. 
Posted by StingingVelvet

I'm pretty immune to "this game is not like the one before it" disease so I think I will keep my pre-order.  Still it does seem to be more of an average game than a good one by all accounts, which is a shame.

Thanks Brad for not acting like this series was always open world, which several other sites did.  As we all should know RF1 and RF2 were linear games.

Posted by MormonWarrior

This is too bad. I enjoyed the demo but it seems like it didn't expand from there.

Posted by Fjordson

Not terribly surprised, this game looks incredibly mediocre. I don't get why they ditched so much that made Guerilla fun. That was one of the most fun open world games ever to just mess around in. 

Edited by TadThuggish
@lacke said:

@TadThuggish: Totally agree. I think they are very conscious of the impact on Meta-Critic.  I don't think mechanics should affect the review if they didn't affect the enjoyment. The score should reflect how "fun" you had with the game, imo.  Maybe I'm just tainted by Jeff's opinion where he straight out said that he thought the game was boring in the QL. This is Brad's review after all.

No, you're completely right.  As great as the Giant Bomb crew is, they sometimes get stuck in that old corporate journalism mindset where every game gets a 7/10 if it isn't completely broken.  Alex Navarro tweeted "I hate Motorstorm Apocalypse", then gave it a 3/5 because it didn't end up murdering him.  I'm not impressed with a game solely if you press a button and its respective action occurs on screen, and I don't want a fact sheet or checklist; I want to know what specifically they, as fellow human beings, feel.  

That train of thought's movie comparison is like a film review saying "it was poop but the lighting rigs worked appropriately, 4/5"
Posted by Physic

Why even call it Red Faction if you are gonna strip out the defining openness and hyper-destructability? Guerilla was one if my favorite games of this generation, disappointing to see this game stray from an incredibly fun and ridiculous formula.

Posted by Deathpooky
@Ladnar: I can only hope.  My ideal vision of Just Cause 3 is that the developers break out in song every time they let in another gravity defying ridiculous concept into their game.
Posted by Drakeon

Wished they hadn't messed with Guerrilla's formula and just tried to refine that instead of going this direction :\

Posted by csl316

Is it better on higher difficulties? In Guerilla it elevated the game from stupid fun to tactical bad assery.

Posted by fox01313

Think that if this was a linear 3rd person game but using the setting of RFG it might have worked. Great review Brad & can't wait to get my hands on the game to give it a whirl as it still looks fun, just not something to rush out & buy day 1.

Posted by InsidiousTuna

That's some really nice boxart. Hadn't looked closely at it before. 

Posted by SpudBug

Too bad.

I guess i saw it coming though - I didn't even finish the demo before turning it off in boredom and I fell asleep in the middle of the quick look while watching it today.. lol.

Shame, I loved Guerilla. Why did they have to go make a linear boring underground shooter??

• 120 results