621 Comments
Posted by Catolf
@GioVANNI said:
@Catolf said:
@scarace360 said:
@Cyrisaurus said:
Anime games are for jerks.
ima hit you with a car.
BOOM...  no but seriously stop that jerks thing, your not cute nor funny.
I thought it kind of funny.
Not even close.
Posted by Zeik

It's disappointing you didn't end up liking it Jeff. I just finished the game last night and I thought it was pretty great overall. I admit I do wish the non-puzzle segments lasted longer, but I still enjoyed the puzzles quite a bit.

Posted by Cyrisaurus
@Catolf: sounds like u mad. You probably are, based on your avatar.
Posted by CosmicQueso

The people that are all raging about this are probably the same ones that agreed with Jeff when he reviewed Brink.

Love it.

Posted by Kajaah117
@Catolf said:
@GioVANNI said:
@Catolf said:
@scarace360 said:
@Cyrisaurus said:
Anime games are for jerks.
ima hit you with a car.
BOOM...  no but seriously stop that jerks thing, your not cute nor funny.
I thought it kind of funny.
Not even close.
"Anime is for jerks" is a reference to something Jeff said back in the Gamespot days.  
Posted by HS21

I don't like twin stick shooters so I'm not getting this. 

Posted by MindOST
*Modern Warfare 2 does insanely well on metacritic* 

Fans: I don't like this game; critics are stupid! 

*Catherine does well on metacritic* 

Fans: Jeff is stupid because he doesn't agree with all the other critics!
Posted by DukeTogo

I'm glad to see that at least one reviewer didn't get swept up in the hype of this "game".  This should never have seen a release outside Japan, let alone at full price.  Giving high score reviews for this as some sort of statement against the current saturation of FPS and violent games isn't what a reviewer's job is about, it's telling the average game buyer if the experience is worth the money and time to play it.

I've been pretty vocal about game press lately, and even this site has had me upset about the coverage of the "lesser" games that get shit on for not being the next Uncharted or Gears sequel, but this is an example of a review that doesn't try to manipulate people or depict the reviewer as someone who is one of the cool kids that understands why it's so great.  It's a crappy game and when it's on sale next month it might be worth your $20.

Posted by King_Jun

I looove this game~ and good review. 

Other than Jeff clearly not liking this game, the review tells you exactly what you're in for so if you are on the fence this review is perfect for you. And ffs there's a demo on xbl and psn, if you loved the demo and find that this review is changing your mind on your purchase you are retarded, this review is basically the demo in text form. If you like the demo = buy the game.

Edited by Gerhabio

OH WOW... I'm surprised the Persona team coudn't make a better story but then they've been writting teen tales for a while.

I like how Jeff will not take anything less than an mature adult story when a game self-professes to have one.

Now to read the raging/depressed comments of Atlus groupies.

Posted by dvorak

@MindOST said:

*Modern Warfare 2 does insanely well on metacritic*

Fans: I don't like this game; critics are stupid!

*Catherine does well on metacritic*

Fans: Jeff is stupid because he doesn't agree with all the other critics!

Pretty much.

Posted by Sergio

@DaBuddaDa said:

I think maybe it was Too Japanese for Jeff? I know I don't particularly like games that are way too Japanese.

He never looked THAT racist to me.

Posted by Ithryn

Ty for this review Jeff, it was obvious that if you don't like anime, you wouldn't like this game at all.
In my personal opinion , I hate the sex sells mentality of this game, Because I mean, It's the only thing it has in its favor. It was so blatantly in your face in the trailers, that it was not even funny.

long history short, it's my opinion and my english is poopy. :P

Edited by Zeik
@DukeTogo: Or maybe they actually enjoyed the game enough to give it a good review? Jeff has every right to give it the score he did, just like anyone else has the right to score it well. It's complete ignorance to assume that the only reason someone would rate a game like this well is as some kind of statement.
Posted by Catolf
@Cyrisaurus said:
wait how am I mad? Cause I'm agreeing that Jeff has a opinion? He didn't enjoy the game, which is fine, his like of a game has no hamper on me sweety.

@Kajaah117: Really? Duh..XP
Posted by theuselessgod

Completely agree. Played through it, not a fan. I loved the Persona games, but only people who just love everything out of japan regardless of quality will think this game is anything beyond a subpar dating/romance sim and a subpar block pushing puzzle.  
It's interesting enough to merit a rent for sure, but I really can't suggest throwing down $60 for it. Good review, Jeff. 

Posted by Sergio

@GioVANNI said:

@Ygg said:
@zameer said:

:( Was kinda expecting a 3 star review given what you said on the podcast. Guess I'll wait for this to go on sale then.

Interestingly, KVO gave an 8.5 for this game so I'm pretty sure it should appeal to some people.

The game's great and getting damn good scores everywhere else including user reviews. I'll just ignore this review as I do most these days.
You're going to ignore this review solely because it's critical? That's extremely naive.

I think he's ignoring it because it's an outlier. He might ignore it because of other reasons. Doesn't make him naive.

While some people need to calm down about his review, others need to realize not all of the reviews here would be in synch with others' personal tastes.

Posted by Catolf
@DukeTogo said:
I'm glad to see that at least one reviewer didn't get swept up in the hype of this "game".  This should never have seen a release outside Japan, let alone at full price.  Giving high score reviews for this as some sort of statement against the current saturation of FPS and violent games isn't what a reviewer's job is about, it's telling the average game buyer if the experience is worth the money and time to play it.  I've been pretty vocal about game press lately, and even this site has had me upset about the coverage of the "lesser" games that get shit on for not being the next Uncharted or Gears sequel, but this is an example of a review that doesn't try to manipulate people or depict the reviewer as someone who is one of the cool kids that understands why it's so great.  It's a crappy game and when it's on sale next month it might be worth your $20.
I love this guy.. You tell'm! /sarcasm
Posted by Winsord

@oysteinBrenne: His opinion differs from yours, so it's obviously a bad review, right? If he didn't like the game, he didn't like the game. It's nothing to get upset over; it's an opinion.

Posted by FateOfNever

Boom, called it.  I also don't entirely agree with Jeff, but, I knew this was coming when he started nitpicking complaints during the bombcast.  But, alas, this is still his opinion of a game he didn't find enjoyable, so trying to argue the matter isn't really productive as he's allowed to have an opinion just as much as anyone else is.  I just certainly don't think it was deserving of two stars considering the game itself isn't actually that poorly made, it was just filled with content that didn't appeal to him.  It would be like Vinny trying to review Flower or something.

Posted by Joeyoe31

>Loves Pac-com for having Arcade Style gameplay (Meaning trying to get better high scores)
>Hates Catherine for having Arcade Style gameplay.
No seriously stop this shit.
>Opinions

Posted by ClamFTW

Well played sir, well played. Excellent review.

Posted by TheSilentTruth

I was super hyped for this game when I didn't know much about it other than that team Persona is behind it. Then I learned that the gamplay is puzzle based and become less enthusiastic about it. And now I think that I'm just going to wait on it.

Edited by Kajaah117
@Catolf: I did a quick search and "Anime is for jerks" is also the second entry in the Giantbomb meme thread. Warning: prepare to spend at least an hour in that thread upon opening it. =P
Posted by Steve_C

Seems fair. The block gameplay never seemed too appealing to me. Not to support a full game at any rate. Who knows when/if it'll come out over here, but it's not something i'd ever want to pay full price for.

More power to people actually enjoying it.

Edited by Marokai
@Korne said:

This is a super respectful review... he makes sure to state the good, the bad, the weird, and why it wasn't for him. He also states that the game might be for other people with other tastes. I think Vinny and Brad would enjoy a lot about this game (especially Brad, since he seems to like weird concept games).

Seems like a very respectful review, indeed. You wouldn't really consider it a 2-star review considering the tone.

Seems like the game just isn't Jeff's thing, which is pretty much what I expected. I don't know what variety he expected in block puzzles, but it's a shame either way. At least almost everywhere else is giving the game a good reception. I'm sure Jeff is happy to have this whole Catherine saga behind him considering the community fervor for the game.
Posted by Apathylad

Raters gonna rate.

Posted by DeShawn2ks

2 stars.......uh oh what did I miss?

Posted by vidiot
@Cyrisaurus said:
Disagreeing with a joke, does not equate you for being "mad". Cease-fire, son. 
You go down that train of logic, and you begin complaining that everyone who love's JRPG's enjoys the games, because they have anime avatars. Don't encourage that type of thinking. 

Go after Catolf for her lack of humor.
Posted by LiquidPrince

I suspected as much but totally disagree with Jeff. I love this game so much. But Jeff is always pretty clear in his review about why he gives it what he does.

Posted by lizzard2
Seems like a fair score for a game you only push blocks and watch cut scenes for hours..Wish i was as easily entertained as some people..
Edited by Catolf
@Kajaah117 said:

@Catolf: I did a quick search and "Anime is for jerks" is also the second entry in the Giantbomb meme thread. Warning: prepare to spend at least an hour in that thread upon opening it. =P

...um.. I knew about that whole thing since i joined.. so..okay?

@vidiot said:

@Cyrisaurus said:

Disagreeing with a joke, does not equate you for being "mad". Cease-fire, son.  You go down that train of logic, and you begin complaining that everyone who love's JRPG's enjoys the games, because they have anime avatars. Don't encourage that type of thinking.   Go after Catolf for her lack of humor.
I HAVE NO HUMOR BITCHES.. AND BITCHES GET STITCHES! *cuts*
Posted by FCKSNAP

2 stars is not as bad as 8.8.

Anyone remember that? And Lost Planet 2? Good times.

Edited by Carlos1408

I was really excited about this game until I found out the whole gameplay was just block jumping and puzzle based, I'm not surprised by this review and agree. Not enough variety in gameplay. I was hoping the story could make up for that, but apparently it's not that great. Might give it a skip. Kudos for trying to make something original though.

Posted by vidiot
@Catolf said:
@vidiot said:
@Cyrisaurus said:
Disagreeing with a joke, does not equate you for being "mad". Cease-fire, son.  You go down that train of logic, and you begin complaining that everyone who love's JRPG's enjoys the games, because they have anime avatars. Don't encourage that type of thinking.   Go after Catolf for her lack of humor.
o.O

Someone needs a hug...Just...Put the knife down...
Edited by Gerhabio

@oysteinBrenne said:

Thanks jeff for fucking over the metacritic. score hopefully they see how fucking terrible review this is and dont add it

Just... just get out.

You're being mean.

Edited by thuiscool

One of the few times I disagree with Jeff. I personally got hooked by the gameplay and enjoying it. Good review nonetheless. I'm curious which ending Jeff ended up getting.

Posted by Kajaah117
@Catolf: I must have read your posts wrong because it sounded like you didn't know about the meme. My bad.
Posted by Origina1Penguin

@Catolf said:

@Origina1Penguin said:

The five star system shows the reviewer's level of recommendation. It's not a grade.

Are you sure about that? It's a grade on how you as the person reviewing feels the game is more or less to you. Either way, a two is a two.. to jeff this is a two, to me i could go four. Maybe three and a quarter. I don't hate him for it, he's got an opinion, i got mine, as you have yours.

Yeah, I'm sure, but I'm not going to argue semantics. I agree with you.

Posted by Catolf
@vidiot said:
@Catolf said:
@vidiot said:
@Cyrisaurus said:
o.O  Someone needs a hug...Just...Put the knife down...
*froth*

@Kajaah117 said:
@Catolf: I must have read your posts wrong because it sounded like you didn't know about the meme. My bad.

I was confused why you kept showing me at first..lol. It's fine.
Posted by Tsai

Bonetown is better

Posted by smcn

The art style makes me excited for Persona 5. Other than that, the only thing I can say after beating Catherine in one 11-hour sitting is that it's the most Japanese game I've ever played.

Posted by bhhawks78

I hate the gameplay.

LOVE the story.

Hate some of the mechanics of the story (just let me pick from a list of text message options instead of backing out ten times!)

Don't need to throw a fit just because Jeff and me didn't enjoy the same game.

Posted by Cybexx

It seems to me that Catherine is a game that would create a wide difference of opinions. I am actually shocked at how well it has been reviewing, not that it wouldn't get high scores but I didn't think it would get so many, this will actually be the first score under 70 on Metacritic.

Personally I grabbed the Japanese version of Catherine after watching the quick look and true to my nature only ended up playing the first couple hours. Grabbed the North American version yesterday and ended up playing through almost half of it (by my guess) in one sitting. I'm enjoying both the story and the gameplay a fair bit, the block pushing has been challenging and occasionally stressful (I decided to play on Normal despite the game going to great effort to caution me) I think the feeling of stress in the gameplay and the stress that Vincent feels in the story manage to sync up in an interesting way for me. Most games are stress relieving experiences so it is interesting to have a game that plays with that, though obviously its going to create a difference of opinion to if this is a good thing or not. I think the game spurs discussions about how its thematics work into both the story and the gameplay, any game that can achieve that is pushing the medium forward which is a good thing, even if the execution isn't perfect.

I do think Jeff has a point about the characters being a bit shallow or at least stuck in their ways. You kind of know what they are about the first time you meet most of them and everything they say just enforces that. The choices you make in the game only slightly push Vincent in one direction or another, though its nice that it has some effect throughout the game and not just the ending which is more than most games with a moral choice system can say. I wonder if the shallowness is an attempt to make each character easy to read. Everyone is the game is either on one side of the game's meter or the other, expect for Vincent who straddles the fence.

Posted by joshth
@GioVANNI said:

@joshth said:

I guess I'm just suprised.  I really enjoyed the game.  I mean all the things Jeff pointed out are true, but I didn't have such a negative reaction as Jeff did.  It just dissapoints me when a reviewer I respect doesn't like a game I love.

Why would that disappoint you?

why would it not?  I want the people I respect to not hate things I like.
Posted by HydraHam

Saw this coming the day they released the trailer, game looks incredibly boring.

Posted by Ramone

I don't understand what people are talking about when they say this game is so different. The puzzle mechanics don't seem that inspired to be honest and the story isn't exactly grabbing me. Is it something that I'm missing? Also, yet again, a stellar review from GB.

Posted by ThePickle

Still buying it.

Posted by tempest

I'll never knock a review for being "wrong," but I'm scratching my head about this one.

Edited by ptys
Can't imagine wanting to play a glorified puzzle game on a large TV screen. Why not just watch an anime and save yourself the gameplay time on something good?