621 Comments
Posted by RsistncE
@oysteinBrenne: lol u mad bro?
Posted by Daroki

@EddyNZ said:

I was interested in this game after seeing a few of the story related videos but as soon as I saw the block puzzles I wasn't too keen. Maybe if each night was represented by a completely different puzzle I would give it a shot.

*This* would have potentially made Catherine much better, had the puzzles been more directly linked to the nightmare at hand and used some tried and true formulas. Instead it was locked into an ever spiraling arms race of puzzles that went from mundane to mind-melting by the end of the game.

Posted by antwane

I really like this game but it really depends on what things you are into.I love anime and I love puzzle games. I thought the story was really good. So far me I would give it a 5/5. But if my brother played it , he would give it a 1/5. This is a really hard game to review.

Posted by DrMcKittrick

Sorry Jeff. I guess you finally realize you suck at games.

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

Dumb game is dumb. Only people with anime avatars seem to disagree, good on ya Jeff for speaking ur mind, when so many game sites are blinded by the pretty cutscenes.

Posted by Catolf
@RoyCampbell said:
@Catolf said:
Also to you. I'm a bit baffled that because of my avatar I can't say that i can't take him seriously when he said what I just quoted, or did you not just read his post and decide to jump in adding 2cents?Good lord I'm going to change my avatar because that crap get's old.
Oh no, I'm trying to silence your freedom by pointing out that you had an avatar of Catherine.   Come on now. While what I said wasn't just picking on you and it was more of a general statement, it's still hard to take what someone has to say seriously when, like right now, there's a negative review for a game and we see the likes of you and such, rebutting comments.  I was going to append what I said by noting that it was more of a general statement but I didn't feel like it. It didn't mean I was agreeing with him.  I laughed at the little "Good lord I'm changing my avatar this crap gets old" breakdown, though.
But I don't have anything negative to say about the review, I've clearly stated at least ten times here even to other people who came out guns blazing that what Jeff feels about the game is his opinion and his right. He didn't like it, that's fine, I'm glad he gave it a shot to be honest, even more so that he was brave enough to give a review knowing full well what a mess it could turn into.

Wasn't a breakdown but it was the third time someone pointed to anime/game in question was referenced towards me and thus would make my opinion invalid because of avatar. So I changed it, might change it again, logo's are tacky. But the shit got old really quickly.
Posted by Braumeister
@drac96@drac96 said:

@Braumeister: I wasn't really satisfied with the "plot twist" either, but did you expect anything different from the ending of this game? You claim that characters aren't believable due to that fact, but you are a Persona fan? In Persona 3 they shot themselves in the head to bring out their inner persona, which isn't exactly believable or relate able. Yet when Vincent has a real life issue of not wanting to move on or commit you can't relate? You'll accept that Atlus explains away everything in SMT with demons, but it's not okay for the plot to get weird in Catherine?

It seems that your real complaint is that it wasn't as sexy as it could or should have been, when it wasn't supposed to be that at all. They may have advertised it that way, but that was just misleading marketing.

You know I can hardly even reference the turning point in this game without massive spoilers, so it's difficult to explain my main source of irritation with the game. Except to say that they truly blew the psychodrama. It was a visceral reaction.  At least with P3, P4, and all the SMT's you accept the craziness going in and the game gets better as you go.  Catherine is different somehow. Expectations? I don't know.

Anyway, It's not sexy time or lack thereof that bothers me about Catherine, it's characterization. Although, I suppose with better characters, the game probably would have been a lot sexier. In the end, the only female in the game I really grew to appreciate in any meaningful way was Erica. That's kinda pathetic for a game with a spread-eagled blonde on the cover who is supposed to drive you back into the arms of your true love. Blah blah.

My other complaint is the puzzle game, which is fun at first, but extremely challenging bordering on tedious. Is it sophisticated enough to merit its own game? I'm not so sure. Look at Rapunzel. Almost the same thing stripped down to Flash-game like simplicity.

If I'm in the minority on this one, that's okay. I can accept that. This is how I rate Catherine in categories that are important to me: 

Gameplay (mechanics, controls, etc):  C+ 
Graphics: A+ 
Music: C
Story: D
Characters: C- 
Challenge: A+ 
Fun: C+ 
Overall: C

Your mileage may vary.
Edited by Peanut
@Binman88 said: 
You're going to have to point out those parts of the review to me, because I didn't find anything particularly snotty or unreasonable in Jim's review of Bastion, nor do I see any reason to think there was an agenda behind his opinion of that game (an opinion and score which was still quite favourable). What it boils down to is a vocal group of people getting in a huff when they see a single slightly less glowing review of the game they love. Instead of accepting that their favourite game isn't loved by everyone, they find it easier to accuse the reviewer of trolling and proceed to tell everyone how awful that reviewer is. As I see it, the people that are quick to disparage Destructoid every time they post a review are simply jumping on the bandwagon. The idea that some of those same people would come to Jeff's defence here would ultimately prove that fact.  At the end of the day, the only way to approach reviews is to get to know the reviewer that's writing them and making up your own mind. Personally, I don't place much trust in Jeff's reviews, or Ryan's for that matter, but I don't need to start a thread telling people to stop reading them. For some people, Jeff and Ryan's reviews will be extremely relevant. Same goes for Jim. Same goes for every reviewer out there. Throwing insults at reviewers because their opinions don't line up with yours is extremely childish. 
I think the difference here is that Jim Sterling is pretty much known for pulling shit like that. I can think of a few off the top of my head immediately, and they're always wildly different from other reviews, quite unlike Jeff. You only have to listen to Sterling talk a few times to see how far up his own ass he is and how serious he takes it up there. 
Posted by drac96

@Braumeister: I wasn't really satisfied with the "plot twist" either, but did you expect anything different from the ending of this game? You claim that characters aren't believable due to that fact, but you are a Persona fan? In Persona 3 they shot themselves in the head to bring out their inner persona, which isn't exactly believable or relate able. Yet when Vincent has a real life issue of not wanting to move on or commit you can't relate? You'll accept that Atlus explains away everything in SMT with demons, but it's not okay for the plot to get weird in Catherine?

It seems that your real complaint is that it wasn't as sexy as it could or should have been, when it wasn't supposed to be that at all. They may have advertised it that way, but that was just misleading marketing.

Posted by RoyCampbell
@Catolf said:
@Braumeister said:
@Catolf said:

very, VERY hard to take your opinion seriously when all you can say is that "If your not in it to fap then it's not worth it" pretty much. *rolls eyes*

Which I clearly did NOT say or imply.
You didn't say this?

If you don't enjoy Q-bert-from-hell puzzles, or have the desire make sweet love to your CE anime pillow case, then Catherine's dipshit story is going to leave you 2 star disappointed with Catherine.

More or less fapping man.

@RoyCampbell said:
@Braumeister said:
@Catolf said:
very, VERY hard to take your opinion seriously when all you can say is that "If your not in it to fap then it's not worth it" pretty much. *rolls eyes*
Which I clearly did NOT say or infer.
It's generally a bad idea to try and have any sort of argument with someone that has an avatar of the game in question. They're right and you're wrong; especially when you make a decent argument. Then it's time to get nit-picky and at that point, the argument will never end.
Also to you. I'm a bit baffled that because of my avatar I can't say that i can't take him seriously when he said what I just quoted, or did you not just read his post and decide to jump in adding 2cents?Good lord I'm going to change my avatar because that crap get's old.
Oh no, I'm trying to silence your freedom by pointing out that you had an avatar of Catherine.

Come on now. While what I said wasn't just picking on you and it was more of a general statement, it's still hard to take what someone has to say seriously when, like right now, there's a negative review for a game and we see the likes of you and such, rebutting comments.

I was going to append what I said by noting that it was more of a general statement but I didn't feel like it. It didn't mean I was agreeing with him.

I laughed at the little "Good lord I'm changing my avatar this crap gets old" breakdown, though.
Posted by CosmicQueso

So... Catherine lovers...

It's not that YOU don't like the game that you're ticked about, it's the fact SOMEONE ELSE didn't like it? Is your self esteem so tied into what someone else thinks of a game you like that it somehow diminishes your sense of self worth? If only I was going for a Psych PhD... I'd have a a field day with this.

Posted by Catolf
@Braumeister said:
@Catolf said:

You didn't say this?

If you don't enjoy Q-bert-from-hell puzzles, or have the desire make sweet love to your CE anime pillow case, then Catherine's dipshit story is going to leave you 2 star disappointed with Catherine.

More or less fapping man.

@RoyCampbell said:
@Braumeister said:
@Catolf said:
It's generally a bad idea to try and have any sort of argument with someone that has an avatar of the game in question. They're right and you're wrong; especially when you make a decent argument. Then it's time to get nit-picky and at that point, the argument will never end.

Also to you. I'm a bit baffled that because of my avatar I can't say that i can't take him seriously when he said what I just quoted, or did you not just read his post and decide to jump in adding 2cents?

Good lord I'm going to change my avatar because that crap get's old.
Posted by TearsInRain

This is the first and only unimpressed review of the game I have seen.

Posted by i77ogical
@Braumeister said:
@i77ogical said:

It's not that Jeff doesn't like a game, it's the WAY he doesn't like it. He is broodingly negative, eviscerating what is really just an entertainment. It's not like he's saving us from driving faulty cars that are going to explode on the freeway.  Jeff Gerstmann is a certified buzzkill more often than not these days. Did you hear Ryan ask him on this week's podcast, "Did  you play anything you LIKED this week?" Then, when Ryan turned it over to Brad, to try to lighten the mood, Jeff was a downer about Starfox 64 as well.   I'd buy a yearly sub to Giantbomb if only Jeff could lighten up. Maybe he's aged out of reviewing video games. He only seems to get excited when it's a game that reminds him of the past, like fighting games. He's a talented guy. He should do something he's passionate about, not cranky and surly.

I don't blame him. For a story-driven game--and this game is all about the story--the plot sucks. If you don't enjoy Q-bert-from-hell puzzles, or have the desire to make sweet love to your CE anime pillow case, then Catherine's dipshit story is going to leave you 2 star disappointed.  I'm a big fan of Persona. I've come to expect SMT to explain all the flaws in their games away with demons and "the devil made me do it" but in the end, Catherine is just plain silly. If it's fap-worthiness makes it entertaining, sobeit, but it's not even as sexy as it should or could have been. Taken as a game or even an experiment, it's a middle of the road title.
I totally agree that you and Jeff have every right not to like the game. I haven't played it. I did hear Jeff's comments on the podcast this week, though, and they rubbed me the wrong way because they are so reluctantly spoken, and joyless.  

Sometimes it's fun to read a negative review, when you can a) tell the reviewer really loves what he does, and b) tell the reviewer really loves video games. This Catherine review aside, I don't get the sense from Jeff that he actually likes what he does anymore. And he brings down the house with him.
Posted by RoyCampbell
@Braumeister said:
@Catolf said:
Posted by RoyCampbell

Endurance Run: Catherine Review Comments

Edited by Braumeister
@Catolf said:

Posted by Catolf
@Braumeister said:
@i77ogical said:
It's not that Jeff doesn't like a game, it's the WAY he doesn't like it. He is broodingly negative, eviscerating what is really just an entertainment. It's not like he's saving us from driving faulty cars that are going to explode on the freeway.  Jeff Gerstmann is a certified buzzkill more often than not these days. Did you hear Ryan ask him on this week's podcast, "Did  you play anything you LIKED this week?" Then, when Ryan turned it over to Brad, to try to lighten the mood, Jeff was a downer about Starfox 64 as well.   I'd buy a yearly sub to Giantbomb if only Jeff could lighten up. Maybe he's aged out of reviewing video games. He only seems to get excited when it's a game that reminds him of the past, like fighting games. He's a talented guy. He should do something he's passionate about, not cranky and surly.
I don't blame him. For a story-driven game--and this game is all about the story--the plot sucks. If you don't enjoy Q-bert-from-hell puzzles, or have the desire make sweet love to your CE anime pillow case, then Catherine's dipshit story is going to leave you 2 star disappointed with Catherine.  I'm a big fan of Persona. I've come to expect SMT to explain all the flaws in their games away with demons and "the devil made me do it" but in the end, Catherine is just plain silly. If it's fap-worthiness makes it entertaining, sobeit, but it's not even as sexy as it should or could have been. Taken as a game or even an experiment, it's a middle of the road title.
Edited by Braumeister
@i77ogical said:

I don't blame him. For a story-driven game--and this game is all about the story--the plot sucks. If you don't enjoy Q-bert-from-hell puzzles, or have the desire to make sweet love to your CE anime pillow case, then Catherine's dipshit story is going to leave you 2 star disappointed.  I'm a big fan of Persona. I've come to expect SMT to explain all the flaws in their games away with demons and "the devil made me do it" but in the end, Catherine is just plain silly. If it's fap-worthiness makes it entertaining, sobeit, but it's not even as sexy as it should or could have been. Taken as a game or even an experiment, it's a middle of the road title.
Posted by Draxyle

Kinda sad he didn't like it after those 99hours and 59 minutes of Persona 4. Still, it's his opinion and Catherine is not Persona 5 nor is it an RPG by typical standards. 

Still enjoying the game though. A lot of great ideas that I hope we'll see expanded on in the future. 2 stars seems quite harsh, even for a low opinion for it.

Posted by Nekroskop

@Mystyr_E said:

Kind of makes me nervous for the fall, I mean....what if Jeff reviews Dark Souls? :P I'd fear for my life and every poster on here if the score was low

Hahaha 1 Star.

I think they'll give that job to Vinny since he's the only person in the crew to actually complete Demon's Souls.

Posted by i77ogical
@JacDG said:

@oysteinBrenne said:

WOW this review is fucking terrible sorry jeffs this is the worst review you have ever done

Here go watch a better Review

Why is it the worst review he's ever done? I think he explains what he likes, and do not like, pretty clearly. I'm guessing you are saying this just because you disagree, not a reason to call it a terrible review.

It's not that Jeff doesn't like a game, it's the WAY he doesn't like it. He is broodingly negative, eviscerating what is really just an entertainment. It's not like he's saving us from driving faulty cars that are going to explode on the freeway. 

Jeff Gerstmann is a certified buzzkill more often than not these days. Did you hear Ryan ask him on this week's podcast, "Did  you play anything you LIKED this week?" Then, when Ryan turned it over to Brad, to try to lighten the mood, Jeff was a downer about Starfox 64 as well.  

I'd buy a yearly sub to Giantbomb if only Jeff could lighten up. Maybe he's aged out of reviewing video games. He only seems to get excited when it's a game that reminds him of the past, like fighting games. He's a talented guy. He should do something he's passionate about, not cranky and surly.
Posted by Braumeister

Anyone old enough to legally buy this game will probably find their intelligence insulted by the big reveal before the 9th and final stage. Psychosexual drama isn't compelling when characters and plot aren't believable, and the plot twist... I shudder to call it that... near the conclusion of the game is ridiculous even for a Japanese anime title. Particularly a mature rated game, which, let's face it, this isn't. This is T&A for teens. Even with that intended audience, dumb and lazy is the only way I can describe the wrap up of this particular game.

But the first 4/5 are pretty enjoyable. If you stretch your mental muscles a bit, the puzzle elements can be rewarding. And even Catherine, who, as a femme fatale is too blonde bimbo vacuous to be truly sexy even when homicidal, is still modeled well enough that you don't care, and pushy, controlling Katherine manages to get more appealing as the game goes along. 

Taken on their own, neither the puzzle elements or the characters and story of Catherine would justify a game on their own. The puzzles can be excruciatingly hard and without libido driving completion, probably not worth the effort. The story needs some sort of interactivity to break up the cutscenes. I can't help but wonder which came first, game or movie, but together it kinda works. For a while.

Posted by Nekroskop

I hope Jeff never changes this score or the review. Keep on trucking, man.

Posted by Quacktastic

500 comments.  2 user reviews.

Posted by Potter9156

Anime fans rage. This is funny.

Posted by sgt_waffles

Classic...

Posted by Swifdemon

Negative reviews are my favorite ones on this site, especially for games I've enjoyed. They usually highlight points I glaze over, yet recognize in retrospect. Good points, opinionated, and I can usually see why the reviewer didn't like it rather well. Just because they've given it a bad score doesn't mean you should not like it either.

Also, the rage from such low scores is always delightful.

Edited by Raineko

I disagree with this rating. The puzzling is awesome.

Also I have already lost faith in Jeff.

Posted by Binman88
@DaBuddaDa said:

@Binman88 said:

People moaning about this game getting this score are silly.

However, I'd love to see what the crossover is between people who blasted Jim Sterling's 6/10 score for Bastion (the lowest score by a fair margin on Metacritic for that game, at least upon release) as being "purposefully contrarian", and considered his opinion irrelevant and attention-seeking, and the people who are now saying that we should respect Jeff's opinion on Catherine, despite it being an even lower score and by an even larger margin when compared to the rest. If there's no evidence to suggest any underhandedness, then you should accept their opinion for what it is; but I'd love to see who was both quick to berate Destructoid and quick to jump to Jeff's defence here.

The content of the review text is the major difference between Jeff and Jim's reviews. Jeff's are honest and straightforward, Jim's are snotty, unreasonable and agenda-driven.

You're going to have to point out those parts of the review to me, because I didn't find anything particularly snotty or unreasonable in Jim's review of Bastion, nor do I see any reason to think there was an agenda behind his opinion of that game (an opinion and score which was still quite favourable). What it boils down to is a vocal group of people getting in a huff when they see a single slightly less glowing review of the game they love. Instead of accepting that their favourite game isn't loved by everyone, they find it easier to accuse the reviewer of trolling and proceed to tell everyone how awful that reviewer is.

As I see it, the people that are quick to disparage Destructoid every time they post a review are simply jumping on the bandwagon. The idea that some of those same people would come to Jeff's defence here would ultimately prove that fact. 

At the end of the day, the only way to approach reviews is to get to know the reviewer that's writing them and making up your own mind. Personally, I don't place much trust in Jeff's reviews, or Ryan's for that matter, but I don't need to start a thread telling people to stop reading them. For some people, Jeff and Ryan's reviews will be extremely relevant. Same goes for Jim. Same goes for every reviewer out there. Throwing insults at reviewers because their opinions don't line up with yours is extremely childish. 
Posted by drac96

@cabelhigh said:

@halochief_90 said:
As much as I hate how oysteinBrenne worded it, he's right in how someone who hates anime shouldn't be reviewing this game. Anime haters won't be touching this game with a ten-foot pole.
I think Jeff's problem has nothing to do with him hating anime, but instead that the story and the character re so idiosyncratic that they don't work together. When he mentioned that you can make Vincent say he wants to be faithful but the game makes it so that he has to cheat I lost a lot of sympathy for that character and, as a result, interest in the game. Anime's got nothing to do with it.

While I can see the point you're making I feel that Jeff's comment about Vincent is a bit misleading. I don't want to give away too much, but it isn't as simple as that. If you were interested in the game previously and that comment threw you off, I'd reconsider.

Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Nocall said: 
I apologize for misunderstanding your opinion. I saw the anime avatar and made an incorrect assumption. In that, I was wrong, and I am sorry. 
Hey man, no problem. As long as we understand each other clearly.
Posted by Nocall
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Nocall said: 
My initial point was that this, and all the other little sub-conversations (including the weboo one) would not be taking place if this game was devoid of anime elements. That's all.
Yeah, and I never disagreed to that. What I meant by "anime doesn't have much to do with it" is that any game that had hype and was reviewed positively pretty much everywhere else with Giant Bomb as the exception would be getting angry comments akin to the ones that are present here.
I apologize for misunderstanding your opinion. I saw the anime avatar and made an incorrect assumption. In that, I was wrong, and I am sorry. 
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Phonics said:
@FluxWaveZ: Maybe if you spam enough .gifs people will start taking the fanbase of games like this seriously. Haha.
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Nocall said: 
My initial point was that this, and all the other little sub-conversations (including the weboo one) would not be taking place if this game was devoid of anime elements. That's all.
Yeah, and I never disagreed to that. What I meant by "anime doesn't have much to do with it" is that any game that had hype and was reviewed positively pretty much everywhere else with Giant Bomb as the exception would be getting angry comments akin to the ones that are present here.
Posted by Phonics
@FluxWaveZ: Maybe if you spam enough .gifs people will start taking the fanbase of games like this seriously. Haha.
Posted by Nocall
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Nocall said:
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Nocall said:
including yourself, from the ragin' you've been doing in the comments section here. 
What are you talking about? Except for the dude that used the word "weboo" I'm not sure what other "ragin'" I've done in this comment section so please point it out for me.
so you haven't been ragin' except for when you were ragin'?
You said it as though I was angry about this review, which couldn't be more wrong. That's totally unrelated to Mr. Internet tough guy so what's your point, exactly?
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Phonics said:
@FluxWaveZ: You obviously identify yourself as the weaboos I was making fun off. Jokes on you, now stop embarrassing yourself and go to bed or something.
Posted by Phonics
@FluxWaveZ: You obviously identify yourself as the weaboos I was making fun off. Jokes on you, now stop embarrassing yourself and go to bed or something.
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Nocall said:
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Nocall said:
including yourself, from the ragin' you've been doing in the comments section here. 
What are you talking about? Except for the dude that used the word "weboo" I'm not sure what other "ragin'" I've done in this comment section so please point it out for me.
You said it as though I was angry about this review, which couldn't be more wrong. That's totally unrelated to Mr. Internet tough guy so what's your point, exactly?
Posted by Nocall
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Nocall said:
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Nocall said:
Posted by Catolf
@Gabriel said:

Also Catolf needs to go outside, I mean out of 480 comments he has about 100 of them.

deal with it son. word.
Posted by Nocall
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Nocall said:
and, judging by that and the maturity of your responses, i doubt jeff or anyone else will ever want to review an anime game again.
1.  I don't think it being anime has much to do with it. 2.  Who cares? So be it if they don't review an anime game again.
being an anime game has nothing to do with the review itself, but it's pretty clear where the interests of most of the review's detractors lay--including yourself, from the ragin' you've been doing in the comments section here.  stop lying to yourself, if the cutscenes and anime stylings were removed from this game then most, if not all, of the complainers here wouldn't care. 
Posted by CocoRodriguez--defunct

Gerstmann owns.

Edited by Gabriel

Also Catolf needs to go outside, I mean out of 480 comments he has about 100 of them.

Edited by Tennmuerti

@Ventilaator: Learn to read grasshopper. You omitted a large part of my response that pointed out the difference, which is that Jim Starling does it on a regular basis. Not my problem if you failed to understand and missed the words "all the time" in that quote.

Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Phonics said: 
Typical response. Let me guess next you're going to call me a troll. Get off your hind legs kid, no one will take your anime away from you don't worry about it. Go write some Persona fanfic or something. 

Posted by Gabriel

I'm still kinda baffaled why people ever though this game looked appealing.

Posted by Phonics
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Phonics said:
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Phonics said:

Here comes a shocker brace yourselves weboos: not everyone loves anime like you.

HAHAHA. You use the word "weeaboo", for one, and you can't even spell it correctly. That's fucking hilarious.
Yeah because no one ever has used weeboo instead of weaboo you goddamn genius.  Sit down kid, no one cares how much you love Japan fucking freak.
Oooh. Hey, look at the Internet tough guy over here! I bet you feel real manly calling a bunch of people "weboos". Man, I'm scared of you. You're way too intimidating for a "weboo" like me.
Typical response. Let me guess next you're going to call me a troll. Get off your hind legs kid, no one will take your anime away from you don't worry about it. Go write some Persona fanfic or something.