621 Comments
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Phonics said:
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Phonics said:

Here comes a shocker brace yourselves weboos: not everyone loves anime like you.

HAHAHA. You use the word "weeaboo", for one, and you can't even spell it correctly. That's fucking hilarious.
Yeah because no one ever has used weeboo instead of weaboo you goddamn genius.  Sit down kid, no one cares how much you love Japan fucking freak.
Oooh. Hey, look at the Internet tough guy over here! I bet you feel real manly calling a bunch of people "weboos". Man, I'm scared of you. You're way too intimidating for a "weboo" like me.
Posted by Catolf
@Able said:
Not surprised.  When a game is marketed with breast you know what crowd they're aiming for.  Just look at the collector's edition, really panties and a pillow case.  The anime crowd always looked like a bunch of nerdy perverts. 
it was boxers on this side. I'm sorry you have nothing you like thats titillating?

@Phonics said:
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Phonics said:

Here comes a shocker brace yourselves weboos: not everyone loves anime like you.

HAHAHA. You use the word "weeaboo", for one, and you can't even spell it correctly. That's fucking hilarious.
Yeah because no one ever has used weeboo instead of weaboo you goddamn genius.  Sit down kid, no one cares how much you love Japan fucking freak.

chill the heck out troll.
Posted by Phonics

How to sell a billion copies of a game to pathetic anime fans: Banal block puzzles and anime girls.

Posted by Able

Not surprised.  When a game is marketed with breast you know what crowd they're aiming for.  Just look at the collector's edition, really panties and a pillow case.  The anime crowd always looked like a bunch of nerdy perverts. 

Posted by Phonics
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Phonics said:

Posted by Catolf
@Phonics said:
@Catolf said:
@Phonics said:
it's people like you who make me want to hit something. 
 So people who don't enjoy your 'refined' taste for shitty dialogue and boring characters make you want to get violent? Typical japanophile.
A typical 'Japanophile' huh? Coming from a person who can't actually spell Weeaboo correctly to insult people is quite funny. But no, I just wanna hit you because your are and act like a douche. I don't care if you don't like anime, thats just fine with me, but when you act like a an A-typical asshole is when i wanna hit something.

@FluxWaveZ said:
@Mystyr_E said:
Kind of makes me nervous for the fall, I mean....what if Jeff reviews Dark Souls? :P  I'd fear for my life and every poster on here if the score was low
Hm. Do you think the reaction would be this crazy if Dark Souls also got 2 stars? Makes me wonder. Also makes me want to see it happen.
I have no idea, but i'd like to see it happen as well.
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Mystyr_E said:
Kind of makes me nervous for the fall, I mean....what if Jeff reviews Dark Souls? :P  I'd fear for my life and every poster on here if the score was low
Hm. Do you think the reaction would be this crazy if Dark Souls also got 2 stars? Makes me wonder. Also makes me want to see it happen.
Edited by FluxWaveZ
@Phonics said:

Posted by Phonics
@Catolf said:
@Phonics said:
it's people like you who make me want to hit something. 
 So people who don't enjoy your 'refined' taste for shitty dialogue and boring characters make you want to get violent? Typical japanophile.
Posted by Simulacrum

Kinda figuried Jeff wouldn't like this very much.

Oh well.

Posted by Ventilaator
@Tennmuerti said:

@Khann said:

Oh Giantbomb community how you amuse me so.

Jim Sterling gives his honest opinion on Bastion that conflicts with most other reviewers opinions and gives it a low score as a result. GB community "HOLY SHIT JIM STERLING IS THE WORST MOTHER FUCKER IN THE WORLD AND DESTRUCTOID IS JUST AS BAD. I HOPE HE BURNS ETERNALLY"

Jeff does the exact same thing. GB community "That's OK Jeff. My opinion doesn't align with yours, but I understand people can have opinions that differ from mine.. oh and FUCK EVERYONE WHO SAYS ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS REVIEW AND MAY YOU BURN IN ETERNAL FLAMES"

You guys are just as fucking moronic as any other community, and it's laughable that you think you aren't.

The main problem with your argument is that Jim Sterling makes controversial reviews that don't allign with the majority almost all the time and does so with the sole purpose of getting hits.

I found this bit completely hilarious. 

Khann: "Jim Sterling writes a review that's off the Metacritic average and people say  he did it to get hits and how he's an attention seeking asshole, now that Jeff does it it's suddenly okay?"

Tennmuerti: "Well, the difference is that Sterling writes reviews for getting hits because he's an attention seeking asshole"

The fact that saying this even sounded like a valid argument in your head is amusing me greatly.
Edited by DaBuddaDa

@Binman88 said:

People moaning about this game getting this score are silly.

However, I'd love to see what the crossover is between people who blasted Jim Sterling's 6/10 score for Bastion (the lowest score by a fair margin on Metacritic for that game, at least upon release) as being "purposefully contrarian", and considered his opinion irrelevant and attention-seeking, and the people who are now saying that we should respect Jeff's opinion on Catherine, despite it being an even lower score and by an even larger margin when compared to the rest. If there's no evidence to suggest any underhandedness, then you should accept their opinion for what it is; but I'd love to see who was both quick to berate Destructoid and quick to jump to Jeff's defence here.

The content of the review text is the major difference between Jeff and Jim's reviews. Jeff's are honest and straightforward, Jim's are snotty, unreasonable and agenda-driven.

Posted by Mystyr_E

Kind of makes me nervous for the fall, I mean....what if Jeff reviews Dark Souls? :P 

I'd fear for my life and every poster on here if the score was low

Posted by LordXavierBritish

The one thing I was somewhat confused about was the claim that the puzzles don't hold up for the entire length. I felt it kept a decent pace by introducing new blocks and techniques to you each night so that you were rarely ever doing the same thing or beating a level in the same way. I don't think I could say that I truly mastered the gameplay of Catherine until the final night, and I take that as a hallmark of a well paced game. I guess if you don't like the gameplay in the first few hours though you're not going to like it at any point after.

As for the story, I didn't go in having any preconceived plans of what I was going to do so in the end I felt Vincent played his role quite well in my story and I felt a real connection to the character. I think the real fault of Catherine is that it doesn't have much variability when it comes to the main beats of the story.

Posted by karatetron

D:

Posted by apoloimagod

Wow, I knew Jeff wasn't particularly fond of this game, but I thought I'd see a 3 stars review. I was worried myself about the gameplay pretty much boiling down to that block block pushing puzzle game. Still, I can't help wonder what would've happened if either Ryan or Brad (who seem more open to new gameplay experiences.

Posted by Catolf
@Phonics said:
it's people like you who make me want to hit something. It has nothing to do with it being/having anime. Brace yourself, it's just because Jeff wasn't a fan of the gameplay..
Posted by Phonics

Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Nocall said:
and, judging by that and the maturity of your responses, i doubt jeff or anyone else will ever want to review an anime game again.
1.  I don't think it being anime has much to do with it. 
2.  Who cares? So be it if they don't review an anime game again.
Posted by Peanut

The thing kind of driving me crazy about this at this point is the people just assuming the game is shit because of the score. This game isn't shit. It's well made, it plays well and if you get into it there's a lot to like, it's just not for everybody and clearly wasn't for J. This isn't fucking Duke Nukem, which is just a BAD GAME. This is why in a case like this, the star system doesn't work. Duke Nukem was a broken pile of trash which has few, if any,  redeeming qualities, Catherine is just divisive in a ton of ways.

Posted by Nocall

454 comments? that's pretty ridiculous. 

remember, you were the ones begging for a review of this game last week (*cough* formspring *cough* forums) 

and, judging by that and the maturity of your responses, i doubt jeff or anyone else will ever want to review an anime game again.

Posted by cabelhigh
@halochief_90 said:
As much as I hate how oysteinBrenne worded it, he's right in how someone who hates anime shouldn't be reviewing this game. Anime haters won't be touching this game with a ten-foot pole.
I think Jeff's problem has nothing to do with him hating anime, but instead that the story and the character re so idiosyncratic that they don't work together. When he mentioned that you can make Vincent say he wants to be faithful but the game makes it so that he has to cheat I lost a lot of sympathy for that character and, as a result, interest in the game. Anime's got nothing to do with it.
Posted by Catolf
@Hourai: I understand. But we just gotta accept opinions as opinions and that we have our own, I love the game, i love the characters, the puzzels while i don't love them i have a healthy respect for them and gotta admit the satisfaction of getting a gold is soooo good. But still it wasn't his thing, I'm sad to see it get a two lumping it in with Duke cause that game is shit (to me!) but one mans trash is another's treasure. I think I respect Jeff more for at least giving it the score he thought it deserved, he's a brave man in that regard lol.

@Fuga said:
Loving anime won't make the game not shit. Sorry guys!
better question, have you played it to call the game shit? Demo? huh?

@halochief_90 said:
As much as I hate how oysteinBrenne worded it, he's right in how someone who hates anime shouldn't be reviewing this game. Anime haters won't be touching this game with a ten-foot pole.

I've seen people who really dislike anime like this game, don't again lump him up like that. It wasn't what he was into, leave it be.

@MattBodega said:

@Vorbis said:

Known for a long time I do not share the same taste in games as Jeff so I am not really surprised, just disappointed it was not Kessler who got to review it.

This is easily the craziest comment in the entire thread... though I am flattered.

I support this though. ^^
Posted by JeffGoldblum

I don't need to play a shitty block climbing game to watch anime.

Posted by NuDimon

It's a shame really. But I'll still get it at EU release. :)

Posted by Fuga

Loving anime won't make the game not shit. Sorry guys!

Posted by Guided_By_Tigers

I love it when people get all huffy puffy over someone giving a game they like a bad score.

Edited by halochief_90

Posted by Enigma777

Keep it cool guys. You're embarrassing yourselves AND the site.

Anyways, solid review Jeff. I still plan to pick it up, but it's going to have to wait because I've vowed to finish my extensive backlog first before I purchase another game.

Posted by Nictel

Though I'm going to buy this anyway: I find this review better than say 1Up's. Why? Because the score seems logical after reading the review where as the 1UP review basically says the puzzles have the quality of iOS apps and then goes on giving it a top score anyway. Reviews are still mainly opinions and that hasn't changed with this one.

Posted by MoeB

It's obvious that giantbomb's aim was to appear on the main metacritic page for Catherine. Clicks bro. Clicks...

Posted by TheChaos

Still gonna play it.

Posted by MattBodega

@Vorbis said:

Known for a long time I do not share the same taste in games as Jeff so I am not really surprised, just disappointed it was not Kessler who got to review it.

This is easily the craziest comment in the entire thread... though I am flattered.

Posted by mutha3
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Vadis said:

You know, I'm not sure if Jeff even would have liked Persona 4 if he played it in any situation that wasn't the endurance run. From a quick glimpse at the game you'd see it is very slow paced and repetitive. Catherine may be the same way in terms of the block puzzles. I'm curious to see if he would have actually enjoyed this game through playing it with someonen else.

Jeff has always said, for any SMT game, that he would enjoy it more if the gameplay wasn't there. He said that several times during the P4 Endurance Run, he said it during the Devil Summoner Endurance Look and he effectively says the same in this Catherine review.
Actually, he said the opposite with Devil Summoner 2. He said he liked the gameplay, but the production values and the story weren't grabbing him.
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Vadis said:

You know, I'm not sure if Jeff even would have liked Persona 4 if he played it in any situation that wasn't the endurance run. From a quick glimpse at the game you'd see it is very slow paced and repetitive. Catherine may be the same way in terms of the block puzzles. I'm curious to see if he would have actually enjoyed this game through playing it with someonen else.

Jeff has always said, for any SMT game, that he would enjoy it more if the gameplay wasn't there. He said that several times during the P4 Endurance Run, he said it during the Devil Summoner Endurance Look and he effectively says the same in this Catherine review.
Posted by Chet_Rippo

Posted by CosmicQueso

@Catolf said:

@CosmicQueso said:

Says the guy with the anime avatar lol...

Haha, your cute, enough lumping people together, it's rather annoying.

Nah you're cute... let's hug it out!

Posted by Hourai
@CosmicQueso said:

@Hourai said:

Will Jeff ever stop being so fucking pessimistic all the time? All he does anymore is complain. If you're not going to give an objective review, then don't review at all. Looking for faults in a game just because you don't like that style of gameplay is retarded. Every other review praised the game. It's not a bad game. Stop pushing potential customers away from something they might enjoy.

How is that relevant at all? 

@Catolf said:
@Hourai said:
Will Jeff ever stop being so fucking pessimistic all the time? All he does anymore is complain. If you're not going to give an objective review, then don't review at all. Looking for faults in a game just because you don't like that style of gameplay is retarded. Every other review praised the game. It's not a bad game. Stop pushing potential customers away from something they might enjoy.
Stop that.  Read his review, he states clearly why he didn't like it/wasn't a fan, it's his right to his opinion and he's entitled to have it, you disagree with his views and thats fine but stop acting like that. No reviewers are alike, just like people are different, you gotta take the good with the bad.
His reason for it basically amounts to "I didn't like this, so it's bad".  Repetitiveness is not always a bad thing. Puzzles aren't meant to be new and fresh every single time. He's completely missing the point of it. Just because he finds it boring doesn't mean it's bad. I find Call of Duty boring and repetitive, but that doesn't make it a bad series.

I get that it's his opinion and all, but when you hear nothing but praise from everybody and then log on your favorite website to find this, it's a little annoying. The WORST you could give this game is 3 stars. 2 puts this on the same level as Duke Nukem Forever, and that's just silly.
Posted by Catolf
@CosmicQueso said:

Haha, your cute, enough lumping people together, it's rather annoying.
Posted by CosmicQueso

@mantasradzas said:

I think Giant Bomb should get rid of review stars in their reviews. The only thing that I could gripe about in this review is the score... Captain America got 3 stars from Kessler. Is it a better game? Duke Nukem Forever - 2 stars. So Duke Nukem is just as good as this game? Or maybe you can't compare the scores... Brink got 2 stars... GET RID OF THE STARS P.S. Just because Jeff hates the characters, doesn't mean the game is bad. Try it and find out for yourself.

I'd rather play Captain America because it seems like a better game (to me, but YMMV). But yes, try it for yourself. Letting a reviewer dictate what you want to play and your opinion of a game is the ultimate in silliness.

Posted by FluxWaveZ
@murse2008 said:

You may even get it featured. I don't know of any other site that gives you that.

Bitmob. I believe 1UP did that too. Actually, GB has a lot to improve concerning community featured content.
Posted by Catolf
@Hourai said:
Stop that.

Read his review, he states clearly why he didn't like it/wasn't a fan, it's his right to his opinion and he's entitled to have it, you disagree with his views and thats fine but stop acting like that. No reviewers are alike, just like people are different, you gotta take the good with the bad.
Posted by CosmicQueso

@Hourai said:

Posted by Illmatic

Me like. Jeff not like. Me rage.

Posted by FluxWaveZ
@Beforet said:

Whoa, 400 comments!

Yeah, and some people like to think this game isn't getting attention.
Edited by Hourai

Posted by Beforet

Whoa, 400 comments!

Posted by Solh0und

Seems more like a rental.

Edited by glanesb

Loved the review and love the game. Both parties keep up the good work. 
Was I looking for the next-gen Persona opus? Yes...Yes I was. 
Did I find it with Catherine? No.... 
If you would of asked me last night while I was playing the last part of the game , I would of told you to wipe your ass with it. I have set up a runner for controllers. My employees are pissed with me as they run to and from Gamestop. I remind them they are paid by the hour. As I look at the game in a whole......MUAH to ATLUS.....thank-you for my next Blame A Game On My Psychosis. 
Rarely does a game call me throughout the day like Catherine....am I turning into the protagonist?! Probably. That's ok.....(as I look down at my sleeping woman friend)....I feel much more people are going to point their heads towards Atlus and the Persona team for future work. They have succeeded . 

Posted by Binman88

People moaning about this game getting this score are silly. 

However, I'd love to see what the crossover is between people who blasted Jim Sterling's 6/10 score for Bastion (the lowest score by a fair margin on Metacritic for that game, at least upon release) as being "purposefully contrarian", and considered his opinion irrelevant and attention-seeking, and the people who are now saying that we should respect Jeff's opinion on Catherine, despite it being an even lower score and by an even larger margin when compared to the rest.

If there's no evidence to suggest any underhandedness, then you should accept their opinion for what it is; but I'd love to see who was both quick to berate Destructoid and quick to jump to Jeff's defence here.