271 Comments
Posted by fox01313

After seeing some of the ads for this especially with what's on Steam, the Enemy Territory part of the gameplay is barely mentioned & think that's the 20 continuous miles of speedbumps in the marketing drive to sell this game. Someone making/marketing this figured that by making the promotional stuff look like every other shooter will rub wrongly a bunch of people thinking that it will be familiar FPS instead of Enemy Territory reality.

Posted by DrGreatJob

I find this review funny. I've never had an issue playing with my friends on PC.

This is how you do it:

1.) Join a game.
2.) Send invitation.

Welp, that was it! Real tough stuff, I know.

This game is great and is getting panned for the type of crap that the Battlefield series does on a regular basis, even after public betas and demos. I just don't understand what is wrong with people.

Posted by Jimbo

How is it that AI is still so regularly shitty?  I know they can't be expected to replicate the subtlety or lateral thinking of a human player, but the thought processes you go through while playing these games at a basic level are not exactly mind-bendingly complex.  Things like "if the console is in use, do something else" and "shoot at enemies" should not be as tricky as they still apparently seem to be.  An all-bot match should not be that distinguishable from a basic / competent level human match.  If they are manipulating their AI over the course of a match in order to massage the experience for the player (to falsely create tension or whatever), then they should cut that shit out.

I just got done playing through Op Flashpoint: Red River, which is surprisingly good (perhaps even great if played co-op, which seems to be what they intended) but again, it is let down by totally retarded friendly AI.  You tell them to take cover behind a wall, they will randomly decided to stand up and walk around the other side.  Sometimes they one-shot guys from hundreds of meters away, other times they will just completely ignore the enemy that is right in front of them shooting at them.  You soon learn to manage it, but you really shouldn't have to by now.

We can keep making games look better and better, but until we get AI to a point where it can do a passing impression of a (very limited) human doing a very limited range of tasks, it all seems a little pointless.  It doesn't matter how good Skyrim or whatever looks - the world will still fall apart the second you see an NPC trying to walk through a wall.

Posted by Protonguy

Good review Jeff. Matches up well with what i played of it last night. Pity, i had high hopes.

Posted by Tennmuerti

It's a good thing that Jeff's tastes in shooters don't align with mine, since I liked MoH more then Blops.
And bots are a non issue for me, why would anyone play with bots in this day and age?

Posted by Fallen189

I like how you people crucify other reviewers for reviewing this low, but bend over backwards for Jeffs review. 

Bipolar much
Edited by Marz

I think when we all first found out the campaign was basically multiplayer with bots, this wasn't going to go well.  It also seems like a huge downgrade from Quake Wars because that had vehicles, tactical buildings for each class, strogg and humans played completely different from each other yet very well balanced.  Splash Damage what happened?

Posted by Krixok

He only plaeyed liek 5 minutes and wrote the review, omgz. Giantbomb is carrupt.

Posted by ShaneDev

I was interested in the game back when the story seemed like it was actually going to exist in the game. I thought the end of the world and decent into anarchy which the game looked to be about would be cool. I lost interest once it turned out to be multi-player focused and I had zero interest when I saw the gameplay videos they put out. Anyway LA Noire is out next week should be good.

Posted by President_Barackbar
@Dogby said:
" getting connected to a bad host? How does that happen when they just released the dedicated ser... 

oh you reviewed the console version as if it were the same as the PC version. great
"
It says VERY clearly at the top of the review, THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE X360 VERSION OF THE GAME.
Posted by ViktorWithAK

Are you kidding me Jeff, you need to play the game at least 5 times through and get a vast majority of the pointless achievements to be able to give your true and honest opinion. 

Posted by mazik765

Sorry to hear Jeff didn't like it, but I will still be checking this out. I have more personal sources that tell me it's a lot of fun :)

Posted by Wacomole

Well, poor game or not, you've got to admit that it's garnered a great deal of both critical and player feedback over the course of the day. 
Hopefully Splash Damage are taking it all on board and can use it to improve on the game going forward.

Posted by CosmicQueso
@Floppypants said:
" @CosmicQueso said:

If people that are adding such valuable contributions as "meh" and "generic shooter is generic" and other nonsense they're not wanted in the playerbase anyways."

Not wanted in the playerbase?  What, does Brink have some kind of clubhouse somewhere?  Is there a sign on the door that says, "Haters piss off!"
"
No, but the COD crowd won't like it, the bumrushers won't like it, the JRPG crowd won't like it and people whose comments are "meh" or parrot what's said around them also won't like it.  And that's fine.  Players gotta play... the things they like.  Or something.
Posted by ThePickle

Seems to be a mixed bag that needs more polish. Should be a fun weekend. It was on the Brink™ of being good, but it's to hit or miss to warrant $60. Wait for a price drop. 

I hate myself. Also Jeff, you did not S-Rank this game. Merely a "B." You are in no condition to review this product. I'm revoking your video game reviewers badge. 
Posted by eternaLightness

Game Looked to have a lot of potential. Sad it didn't all come together.

Posted by Kidavenger

How does Brink compare to Team Fortress 2? 

Based on what I've seen in the quicklook, they appear to be extremely similar and TF2 is probably my favorite shooter to date.
Posted by FluxWaveZ
@CosmicQueso said:
" No, but the COD crowd won't like it, the bumrushers won't like it, the JRPG crowd won't like it and people whose comments are "meh" or parrot what's said around them also won't like it.  And that's fine.  Players gotta play... the things they like.  Or something. "
Well, grouping people based on their game preferences is pretty dumb too. You can enjoy JRPGs while also liking Brink.
Posted by Darkstar614

Yeah I find it somewhat offensive that the game gets shafted with 2 stars because of xbox connectivity and other things. I've been playing this on the PC for a while and it's pretty fun and easy to invite friends to the game with Steamworks.

I don't really think it's fair in this day and age to criticize a game for guns and grenades not sounding "satisfying" as Jeff put it. It seems to vary greatly from person to person. I, for one, thought all the CoD guns sounded "weak" and "unsatisfying". And I don't think Brink's sound any better or worse. Not every shooter needs to have every explosion and gunshot sounds that drown out all the other audio.

Brink does have its flaws, but I would have assumed 3 stars for this, not 2.. 2 is basically saying the game is busted and not worth anyone's time.

Posted by Levio

No wonder they marketed it so much, they were hoping a ton of people would buy it day 1 before finding out it's not worth it.

Posted by Brendan
@Darkstar614 said:
" Yeah I find it somewhat offensive that the game gets shafted with 2 stars because of xbox connectivity and other things. I've been playing this on the PC for a while and it's pretty fun and easy to invite friends to the game with Steamworks.I don't really think it's fair in this day and age to criticize a game for guns and grenades not sounding "satisfying" as Jeff put it. It seems to vary greatly from person to person. I, for one, thought all the CoD guns sounded "weak" and "unsatisfying". And I don't think Brink's sound any better or worse. Not every shooter needs to have every explosion and gunshot sounds that drown out all the other audio.Brink does have its flaws, but I would have assumed 3 stars for this, not 2.. 2 is basically saying the game is busted and not worth anyone's time. "
You just described a one star review, as explained on the site.  A two star review is one where the flaws outweigh the positive aspects of a game, which is exactly what Jeff is describing.  Whether you agree is of course another story altogether. 
Posted by Fjordson

Really unfortunate that this ended up as mediocre as it is. Had a lot of potential.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

After that quick look, I kinda expected this score. This game never looked to be anything more than "Just another Multiplayer focused shooter", albeit one with that traversal gimmick.

Posted by KaosAngel
@Fallen189 said:
" I like how you people crucify other reviewers for reviewing this low, but bend over backwards for Jeffs review. 

Bipolar much
"
Bah, I figure you'd get used to this mentality by now.  >.>
Posted by MaddProdigy

Just opened it up and played a few hours myself. It's terrible. 

Really disappointed in Bethesda. Even if they didn't do the bulk of the development work, I would expect them to support and publish quality products. This game is worth 15-20$ and should have been sold as downloadable. I'm sure Rage and Skyrim will be excellent games, but I'll be wary of any future Bethesda published projects.

Posted by Doctorchimp

Still can't fucking believe people bought this after the mediocre footage they were pumping out.

Whatever, keep feigning ignorance.

Posted by Tebbit
This is so disappointing. In the months (hell, the years) leading up to Brink's release, it sounded conceptually fantastic, and the world they had created looked genuinely unique. Lo-and-behold they didn't flesh out that unique world, and everything surrounding the concept is mediocre. The art style is pretty fantastic though, something I wanted this review to drool over. Alas!

@Darkstar614
said:

" Yeah I find it somewhat offensive that the game gets shafted with 2 stars because of xbox connectivity and other things. I've been playing this on the PC for a while and it's pretty fun and easy to invite friends to the game with Steamworks.I don't really think it's fair in this day and age to criticize a game for guns and grenades not sounding "satisfying" as Jeff put it. It seems to vary greatly from person to person. I, for one, thought all the CoD guns sounded "weak" and "unsatisfying". And I don't think Brink's sound any better or worse. Not every shooter needs to have every explosion and gunshot sounds that drown out all the other audio.Brink does have its flaws, but I would have assumed 3 stars for this, not 2.. 2 is basically saying the game is busted and not worth anyone's time. "

I would assume then, that Jeff - as a person - found that the guns and grenades didn't sound satisfying? If it varies from person to person, why can't it vary for him?
Posted by RobotHamster

Daaaaayyyuuuummmmmm son.

Posted by nickux

Brink is the perfect example of a game where I just can not figure out what the hell took them so long. What happened??

Posted by CellAnimation

Ouch - here's hoping the PC version is better.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy
@Darkstar614 said:
" 2 is basically saying the game is busted and not worth anyone's time. "
Um, no sir. That is not what is meant by a two star review. Two star reviews mean that the game has a large amount of problems that outweigh the positive aspects, and if you are interested in seeing those positive aspects, without paying full price, then you should.

All things considered, the star amount is more-or-less a basic summation of how a reviewer felt about a game, and not how to judge the quality of the game from the perspective of the potential customer. The best way to judge the quality would be to read the actual text review.
Posted by Oy

Sadly I got the game and should not have.  Played for a few hours and nobody joined my "online" game and it sucked ass!  How do you even play with humans?  That's why I bought this and I don't even see a section called Xbox Live, Player match or anything?? The hell!

Posted by Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Well, I'm not really surprised. Still wanna try it though. Hats off to you, GameFly.

Posted by hurrikenux
@zoner said:
" @Jeff said:
" @hurrikenux said:
" lol @ Achievegate

Anyways, I think a PC review might have been better for this.  I think only the dedicated servers on PC allow you to turn off the bots, playing with all humans is very fun on the PC side.  Granted the game isn't without its issues, but judging on the AI isn't good as it certainly is no Deep Blue.
"
I did play the 360 version with quite a few actual people, wouldn't have reviewed it at all if I hadn't. Anyway, we just got the PC version today, I'm going to at least check it out for a bit tonight. An option to totally disable bots already makes it sound at least a little bit better than the console version. "
Hope you've got an Nvidia card.  "
I use an ATI Mobility 5700 series (5770 I believe), no problems here with ambient occlusion off and shadows on low.  ATI is notorious for terrible OpenGL drivers, it has been that way for a long time I'm afraid.
Edited by oroboros

I notice Gamespot has given Brink 6/10 (xbox360 version) while Brink ads are completely covering the site home page ... hmm, that sounds familiar ... wasn't there some other game that was scored 6/10 once upon a time which got a certain reviewer ... a certain very familiar reviewer ... controversially " retired" from said Gamespot?  I seem to remember that ...

Posted by Godzilla_Sushi

I'm glad you figured out that first paragraph Jeff...

;)

Recently you mentioned on the podcast that you would like to see Unreal come back somehow. Brink seems like the closest thing I've seen attempt that style of game since Monday Night Combat.
Posted by JoeyRavn

As soon as I heard Jeff talking about it in the QL, I knew this'd be getting just two stars. And to be honest, I don't find it hard to believe. The game looks really plain and dull.

Posted by Nekroskop

While people where fellating each other over the trailers for this game last year, I was dead on my assumption that is was going to be bad.

Better save those Ameribucks for Duke, folks.
Posted by dezvous
@hurrikenux said:
  ATI is notorious for terrible OpenGL drivers, it has been that way for a long time I'm afraid. "
Not true for some time now. In fact, since around Doom 3 ATi has gotten their act together. At the time, Doom 3 and Quake 4 actually played best on their X1 hardware. OpenGL performance still goes back and forth between the two GPU manufacturers but it's not a real problem like it used to be.
Posted by cp3rockon

Well this is certainly disappointing.

Posted by Chris2KLee

I was worried about this game as the delays mounted. The highest review I saw for this was on Gametrailers (7.9) and even they said it was niche with problems.

Posted by GozerTC

The PC version seems fun and fine by me.  I'm not disappointed by the game as much as a single bug that's bothering me.  I keep losing audio in multi-player games between missions.  It's annoying.  :( 

Posted by oroboros

I predict this game disappears in a brink of an eye.

Posted by LiquidSwords

Now Jeff knows how I felt when I played Brutal Legend.

Posted by TheHBK

For the people calling for achievement points... just look at the quick look!  Only 45 minutes of video and you can tell this game is a piece of trash.  Maybe subconciously you are trying to justify buying into the hype, its cool, it happens to all of us.

Sorry, but all that is left is....
 This review has been authenticated.
Posted by Hooded

A few places refused to review a multiplayer focused game before release because there is a major day one patch coming and currerently theres not many players online. Which i have to agree.

I thought Jeff would of done this also, but I guess he is busy, shame because I love GB and Jeff since day one.

Seems to me a few reviewers just played it offline for the most part on medium diff and complained about the bot AI. Then tried a bit online and didnt like many people are playin it yet...

The game is awesome and really fun. I've played it for a long time now. Maybe other people should before the judge.

Posted by RoyCampbell
@oroboros said:
" I predict this game disappears in a brink of an eye. "
oh my god
Posted by iAmJohn
@Gizmo said:
" @EgoCheck616 said:
" I can't wait to buy this................

.............when it is $9.99 on Steam.
"
"
Posted by Solh0und

After playing it for 5 hours, all i can say is this: It's a game you'll either love or hate.

Posted by iAmJohn
@TheHBK: You do know that most of the people bringing up the achievement scandal here are making fun of it, right?