38 Comments
Edited by MikeGosot

For 15$? Wow, i might pick this.

Posted by Tarsier

i like the graphics on this video game

Posted by CoolYetiDance

Had a blast with this together with my friends!

Only problem is that some of time you'll be standing around doing nothing while waiting for the Wizard .....

Posted by Cyrisaurus

Really want to play this just to stare at it.

Posted by Moncole

I liked the first one

Posted by therealminime

I picked this up last week on Steam and am loving it. It is stunningly gorgeous and a blast to play. I never picked up the original though I don't think I need to now that I've got this one. As always, great review.

Posted by krabboss

It's a good looking game, but I don't think I'd call it one of the best looking games ever.

Posted by IAmNotBatman

Nice review Brad!

I'm not that bothered myself though, found the first one kinda boring so I'll probably skip this. Maybe if XBLA or PSN have a sale I wil get it.

Posted by BulletproofMonk

I hated the first one, so I'll probably hate this one too, right?

Posted by Vexxan

Didn't play the original but I'm already sold on this one.

Posted by Cirdain

I have honestly read this whole review and I feel that Brad must have some really goddamn high standards for this to not get a 5. Maybe a 4 from brad is a 5 for me personally.

But it sounds like he loved it though, so we agree on something ;)

Posted by astrodoggy

Great review Brad, one note: "...but Frozenbyte has said a fix in the works." Looking forward to playing this game.

Posted by rcath

Thanks Brad, been waiting for this review.

Posted by TheInsider

The PS3 version runs at 1080p btw

Edited by aceofspudz

@Cirdain said:

I have honestly read this whole review and I feel that Brad must have some really goddamn high standards for this to not get a 5. Maybe a 4 from brad is a 5 for me personally.

A lot of times people crit Brad for giving out 5s too easily to visually interesting 2d platformers. Maybe he took it to heart and feels like he shouldn't give out so many any more?

Posted by Chet_Rippo

quick look of this was hilarious. Looks awesome, I think I'll try it.

Posted by nerdrage32

@Cirdain said:

It's not a perfect game but it's still better than some stuff that got a 5 this year. It's a terrific game that I hope doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I can't think of any game off the top of my head that has something more beautiful in it than Chapter 10 of Trine 2

Posted by Lind_L_Taylor

Blast!  I was hoping this game would get shit on for the holidays.

Posted by AhmadMetallic

Great review! 

It's on my Top 10 list.

Posted by Brendan

@aceofspudz said:

@Cirdain said:

A lot of times people crit Brad for giving out 5s too easily to visually interesting 2d platformers. Maybe he took it to heart and feels like he shouldn't give out so many any more?

I think that if Brad is a professional adult, he won't be swayed by internet comments calling him out for his editorial abilities.

Edited by bkbroiler

@Cirdain said:

I feel like, from the review, Brad really loved the game, but it doesn't advance anything beyond the first game besides some minor mechanics and nice visuals. So it gets a 4; still a nice score, but nothing revolutionary or anything.

I think if this had been the first Trine game it would have gotten an easy 5.

Posted by thebazel

I don't understand. Why is this only 4 stars when the review doesn't mention a single flaw. Can you please point out where the star was lost?

Posted by aceofspudz

@Brendan said:

@aceofspudz said:

I think that if Brad is a professional adult, he won't be swayed by internet comments calling him out for his editorial abilities.

That's only assuming they don't have a point, though. Any professional is open to critique.

Maybe it is a 4 star game under the new standard, but maybe the new standard is better and finer than the old one as a result of critique and the evolution of the genre. I'm not saying Brad changed to sate nerdrage, but I would like to think a professional is continually honing their critical eye.

That said. I enjoyed Trine and will be picking up Trine 2 after the Holiday Sale (if it doesn't go on sale during it).

Posted by GnomeonFire

I bought this when it came out and haven't played it yet, I really think I should now.

Posted by Hot_Karl

I finished the Xbox version a few days ago. Gorgeous game, but clearly runs at a lower resolution & framerate than the PC version. Otherwise, fantastic game, if a bit too similar to the last one. I'm glad to get another Trine game, but I wish they changed some of the mechanics here and there. Still definitely one of the best platformers out there, no question.

Edited by CptBedlam

I definitely enjoy this game much more than a few games that got 5 stars this year (for example, Renegade Ops is kinda boring imo).

But, opinions, right? Merry Xmas :)

Posted by Kosikutioner

My problem with the release timing is ALL the cheap stuff I've bought recently. Both Steam and physical for consoles. Also SWTOR. No time!

Posted by buzz_killington

FUCK MY EYES. The screenshots for this game look like the best concept art from other games. FUCK.

Posted by jd18b

Must have.......I hate being poor. I've played a bit of the first one and like it quite a bit. I felt that the graphics in the first one were not nearly as good as in this one.

Edited by MattClassic

@thebazel said:

I don't understand. Why is this only 4 stars when the review doesn't mention a single flaw. Can you please point out where the star was lost?

What? At least one flaw can be inferred (all three classes still play almost identically to the way they did in the first game, with only very minor changes) and two are directly addressed:

The only thing you could say against the game's visual design is that it runs at 11 for the entire game; every single scene is so dense with small details and numerous glowing, over-saturated colored light sources that it would be nice to also see similar technology and artistic sensibilities applied in a more reserved fashion from time to time.

Co-op play is certainly well and good, but the deeper you get into the game, the more puzzles you encounter that seem like they were designed specifically with co-op in mind... it would've been nice if some of the solutions felt a little more elegant when you're playing alone.

The post-processing eye candy goes a bit overboard at times and later levels aren't really single-player friendly. Come on man, it's spelled out right there in plain English.

Posted by Neeshka

gorgeous game. i have a soft corner for heavily rendered 2d graphics. Excellent puzzle platformer; a must-try.

Posted by Blinck

@Neeshka: Almost nothing in this game is 2D. Basically everything you see in this game are 3D models.

Posted by capgrass

Beautiful game this is.

Posted by Sharpless

@Brendan said:

This. At the end of the day, the only person Brad has to answer to is himself (and, uh, some of his co-workers; but you get what I'm saying.) His opinions don't answer to anyone, and his grading system certainly doesn't answer to any of us. And if you find it so incredulous that he could give Trine five stars, then love the sequel and only give it four, maybe you (I'm using the general "you," in case it's not obvious; I'm not picking on Brendan) should star reviewing games. I'm being serious. Start reviewing and assigning scores to different games. Not on a blog, necessarily; just for yourself. I've done that and, over the years, I've come to understand (to some degree, at least) why a lot of professional critics' scores can seem a little wibbly-wobbly. Times change. Your mind changes. You gain perspective. Shit happens.

Trust the Brad.

Posted by Matty_R

Never tried the first.. but this seems like it might be worth while.

Posted by Masni

Awesome game and Co-Op is great :)

Posted by AGN0SIS

I just picked up the first Trine for my Mac after listening to them talk about it on the Bombcast. It's really an awesome game. Can't wait to pick up the sequel.

Edited by amythompson172

The storybook-style narration is genteel, and the heroes are amiably voiced. The music is rousing, too. Here, as with story and setting, Trine 2 cleaves comfortably to the genre, with all of the cheery piping of a high-class Renaissance fair. If you bypass secrets and ignore experience orbs, you can breeze through a single-player campaign in six hours or so. Although Trine 2 wouldn't outstay its welcome at twice that length, it's no raw deal, given the modest pricing (1200 Microsoft points). This Trine follow-up is a more complete, refined work than its predecessor, and those who didn't catch the original are in for a real treat.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063CYSCK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=emjay2d-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0063CYSCK