149 Comments
  • 149 results
Posted by Nasar7

Just beat this game last night. So good, it's one of my favorite games of the year.

Posted by Ujio

This game is awesome. It exudes personality from every pore. I only discovered this gem yesterday and after watching the QL here and some gameplay vids at another site, I was on board. I'm definitely picking this up ASAP.

Posted by briancujo

I loved this game it's a shame these days if your not a sequel or indie game it seems impossible to get good sales numbers. This game deserved a far better fate. While it did have some flaws the effort put into making things feel unique and refreshing more than made up for it. This was also one of the funniest games I ever played would love to see a sequel or DL content but at this point that seems like pipe dream. GREAT GAME

Posted by Aarencobb

I absolutely hated, HATED, the controls on this game. And I hated the screeching, screaming, metal music that played when enemies showed up.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

I still hate dick jokes, but I bought the game anyway.

Posted by Psiharis

Maybe the dick jokes are funnier if you don't have a dick of your own to get all defensive about. 

The opening scenes struck me as a fairly sharp satire of typical beefy video game macho-men who are constantly fondling their guns during bizarre one-track dialogs with other beefy video game macho-men about their guns. The jokes do go deeper than "lol dicks;" they're lampooning the games that are even more bizarrely homoerotic but play it -- ahem -- straight. Hey Duke Nukem, putting a strip club in your game doesn't make you any less of a Tom of Finland pinup. And as for you, Gears of War... oh, where do I even begin.

Take another look at what the demon in the Shadows of the Damned opening movie is wearing (and I use that term loosely) and tell me the aim is NOT to make you straight guys uncomfortably aware of just how weird it is to obsess over male bodies that have been idealized in a way that has nothing to do with what any woman wants. It's exactly the kind of self-aware genre humor Suda 51 specializes in; I'm stunned that the reviewer managed to completely miss (or deliberately omit) that dimension of it, and it makes me wonder how much of the humor he 'got' at all.

Being a woman myself, I think the dick jokes are fantastic. But I can see how they might perturb a straight male gamer who's overly defensive about his sexuality, which is still a huge proportion of the market. It'd be nice if they learned to laugh at themselves so that the era of the unironic 'roid-freak main character could finally draw to a close.

Posted by KennyIsMe93

Maybe I'll try it out. Looks like a much weirder Resident Evil 4.
Posted by Lucidlife

Really nice game with one of the best start screens ever seen in games.

Posted by LemonJoose

I guess all DNF needed for a better review score was a few tattoos, an emo haircut, crappy RE4-like aiming mechanics, more blood and gore, lengthier cutscenes, a talking skull with a gay British accent, and lamer puns and dick jokes.  Shadows of the Damned got a pretty great score considering the review notes things like:

'What you might be less fine with is some of the game's rougher edges. Some of these are technical, including a few irritating glitches that forced me to restart a couple of checkpoints, and some long-ish loading times that periodically pop up and cause initial choppiness with cutscenes. Other issues are atmospheric in nature. While Hell should certainly be an ugly place, a lot of Shadows of the Damned's environments are drawn up in strangely bland fashion. Hell is basically a nondescript European city peppered with hollowed-out corpses and gooey human viscera. The latter gore actually looks pretty good, but much of the world detail is uncreative and overly dank. The notion of Hell as a rather dull community of demons wandering around torturing each other out of a lack of better options is kind of a funny one, but as a visual gag, it just serves to make the game's presentation less interesting."

Posted by CosmicQueso

@Alex_Carrillo said:

You know what? No. Fuck this game.

Instead of going out and grabbing some dweeb White voice actor who does anime voices for a living, how much better would it have been if an actual Latino did the voice?

Not a single R was rolled in the trailer. Take this "Suda51 Trip" and shove it.

Look dude, some guy named Roger Craig Smith (from Orange County, CA even!) is the voice actor for Ezio Auditore and us Italians ain't getting all mad about it.

Posted by osifracrat

While I don't agree that the depiction of hell is bland I do think there is some questionable texture work on close inspection. The bad textures are especially noticeable when the camera freaks out. I loved the game but I was also crushed to find out that there was no new-game+ mode. Finally there is one small nitpicky detail: if you beat it on "demon" (Medium) difficulty you don't get the achievement for beating it on "lemon" (Easy) difficulty. Overall though I loved the game and its story. I would love to see a sequel. I'd love to see them flesh the world out a bit more and maybe even add a co-op mode featuring

as a second playable character.
Posted by HURRyDURRy

I would love a Endurance Run of this... 

something about the combat mechanics that seems worn and tired. Really not into playing games like this.

Posted by DANW547

Aspects of this game feel horribly twitchy and archaic but with that said its sense of style and fascinating fiction really sucked me in.

Posted by Cold_Wolven

I practically didn't know anything about this game till just recently when reviews started coming out. Alex sums it up pretty well so I might actually pick this up when I can grab it on the cheap.

Posted by Theresonlyone

WIll there be a quick look of this?

Posted by GaspoweR

don't mind the dick jokes at all..

Posted by Alex_Carrillo

You know what? No. Fuck this game.

Instead of going out and grabbing some dweeb White voice actor who does anime voices for a living, how much better would it have been if an actual Latino did the voice?

Not a single R was rolled in the trailer. Take this "Suda51 Trip" and shove it.

Posted by shodan2020

wow sounds awesome!

Posted by Nottle

Good to see you liked it Alex. I really like Suda's style so maybe I'll get this sometime. Only one thing bothers me, you act like Mikami has never made a great shooter however Vanquish is a damn fine shooter. That games tighter than Gears of War.  People tend to forget out of all the japanese developers Mikami seems to have games that get shooting right. 

Posted by lordofultima

@Clenchmask said:

Odd question... can you strafe? It looked a bit like RE4 in the vids I've seen, and that scares me a bit. Because I like strafing.

It's Dead Space controls, so RE4 with moving and strafing while aiming. Feels great, nice and loose controls!

Posted by StealthRaptor

Okay, I really enjoyed the Temple of the Dog metaphor.

Posted by Jayzz

@radioactivez0r said:

This seems like the perfect game to try out Redbox's rental service...if they ever get it.

im with you on that one. I plan on redboxxing a lot of games now, 2 dollars a night for an obsessive gamer like me is a great deal.

Posted by gla55jAw

Where's the Quick Look at?

Posted by dyong

I must say, seeing this game get a good review after all the trolling in the comments for the videos makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Posted by lockwoodx

This is DNF Japanese edition.

Posted by TheCheese33

@ahaisthisourchance said:

@LiquidSwords said:

100 comments means there must be a lot of butthurt.

Butthurt over a 4-star review?

I'm surprised that the game would get this high a score seeing the recent review-hatred for dickjokes(see:Duke)

They don't hate dick jokes; they just hate poorly-written, horrible games that make stupid dick jokes (see: Duke)

Posted by TheCheese33

@Clenchmask: You can strafe.

Posted by dropabombonit

Great review, will be getting this when I have the cash to spare

Posted by radioactivez0r

This seems like the perfect game to try out Redbox's rental service...if they ever get it.

Posted by nizo182

Akira! :D

Edited by norenewalfee

Great review Alex . I just recently found out about this game and everything I read about it makes me really interested in it. Now I want a quicklook for it!!!1

Posted by dudeglove

was worried this might have been overhyped what with the developer diaries.

Posted by Clenchmask

Odd question...   can you strafe? It looked a bit like RE4 in the vids I've seen, and that scares me a bit.  
Because I like strafing.

Posted by Little_Socrates

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a review of this game. Can't wait to give it a shot.

Posted by Sharpshooter

I love how the box art says "A Suda51 Trip"

Great Review Alex, defiantly gonna pick this one up this week.

Posted by Eyz

Awesome!!! :D
Can't wait!

This is already out?? Oh man!!

Posted by MachoFantastico

Not sure how I feel about it, Bayonetta proved to me I love some crazy in my games but this just looks insane.

Posted by ZarakixKenpachi

I also completely forgot this game was coming out, despite how excited I was for it. I'm relieved to hear it was good, if I hadn't just recently bought ordered a bunch of other games, I would get this right away. For now, and especially considering the inevitable low-profile game price drop, I think I'll have to wait for it to be $40 before I pick it up. Great job Grasshopper.

Posted by MrKlorox

Man the main guy's name is awful. I get it, it's supposed to resemble Grasshopper. Still, boo.

Watching a live stream of the game right now and it doesn't look like something I would enjoy at all.

Posted by Nekroskop

@LiquidSwords said:

Butthurt over a 4-star review?

I'm surprised that the game would get this high a score seeing the recent review-hatred for dickjokes(see:Duke)

Posted by MormonWarrior

Thanks for the review. Count me the heck out.

Posted by me3639

Great Review Alex. Loving this game, but dreading the inevitable frustrating boss fights i know are right around the corner. This will not be easy.

Posted by MuddyDonut

Good review, I dislike linearity as much as the next guy, but for a Suda game I believe I can get over that.

Posted by PillClinton

Definitely want to play, but will probably wait a while and pick it up cheaper.

Posted by The_Hiro_Abides

I'm a couple of hours in and I agree with Alex's review. So spot on!

Posted by Dan_CiTi

Sounds amazing, I love how much variety Suda always has with his games, which helps him have strengths in different areas. You wouldn't think the guy who made Flower, Sun & Rain and Michigan would make this and No More Heroes. I can't wait to play this. 

Posted by RsistncE

Dante's Inferno is all I can think of when I see this game. Looks decent though, might try it out eventually.

Posted by zombie2011

Totally went under my radio, but i will try to pick this up as soon a possible haven't played a good shooter for a while.

Edited by LiquidSwords

Posted by Chewii101

Sounds like one of these developers is a Spurs fan. As a Gooner, I'm offended. As a person who enjoys some crazy fun this looks awesome. 

• 149 results