53 Comments
  • 53 results
Posted by MichaelAnderson

I'll have to give this a whirl.  Zelda's excellent N64 engine has been lying dormant for too long.

Posted by piderman
@Ben99 said:
" I've been ignoring this game for too long untill I stumbled upon this review of Jeff "
You and me both. Maybe this is one of those 'best games noone played'.
Posted by Ben99

I've been ignoring this game for too long untill I stumbled upon this review of Jeff
Posted by Dan_CiTi

I can't wait for Darksiders 2: Dark Hero.

Posted by ptys

Love the end bit... was that Vinny's wit? Jeff is the first reviewer to actually make the game look good... when you want results you have to go to the best!

Posted by trav3ler

Hmm.  Would buy if Mass Effect 2 wasn't coming out in 3 weeks, and that's all I can afford.  But it's on my list now.  I was expecting a 2 or 3 after the quicklook, honestly.

Edited by CMcCon342

I've been loving the game. Just finished the worm-world. Yes, the structure borrows heavily from Zelda. But I think it improves on it exponentially by not having a boring first 5 hours. I think having a new compelling story and full voice-acting is a huge jump over all of the latest Zelda games with repetitive stories and text-only approach.

Also, the combat is way way way way way way better than Zelda. 

If anything I'd say it feels like God of War with a exploratory Zelda structure. I'm 7 or 8 hours in and I have a ton of cool stuff and my combat moves are awesome. If I was 7 or 8 hours into Zelda, I'd be lucky if I could afford a bomb bag at this point.

I would say flat out that the game is more enjoyable than Twilight Princess, but I have never been a huge fan of the Zelda games - as you may have noticed, I think they are paced far too slowly.

Posted by Sweep

How long is this game? I have memories of the Zelda games taking me weeks to fully explore and progress through, is Darksiders more fast-paced?

Posted by Fei

I am in love with this game. I havent played a Zelda since Link to the Past on the SNES (I went with PS1 and missed the N64->GC->Wii stuff) but it feels fantastic and refreshing. I sat down and could not stop playing it until I 1000/1000'd it within 3 days. I love the combat, the design and the voice acting is way above par. Highly recommend this game as its been a love affair for me.

Posted by KinjiroSSD
@Fawk said:
" Could you actually review a multi-platform game playing it on the PS3 for once?  It's tiring seeing you always play the 360 version. "
LOL keep dreaming
Posted by Fawk

Could you actually review a multi-platform game playing it on the PS3 for once?  It's tiring seeing you always play the 360 version.

Posted by TheKing

Worth every penny.

Posted by Yatesy

@lilarchie232: 

"I get the feeling that Jeff's favorite word to describe games is exciting."

That and "nefarious".

Posted by Media_Master

Has everything I like in a game.

Posted by Hyperfludd

My mind has really been attacking me to pick up this game. I guess I might just have to listen!

Posted by Noxpectius

Great review. I agree on the score. The game is allright while your playing it, but its honestly not something that I'll remember a few years from now. I wish it had more backstory, stuff in the world, and that they did more with War as a character. Overall, the game never Wowed Me, it was just Ok all the way through. Hell, even the puzzles weren't that interesting or thought provoking. Though I did like that the dungeons were Pretty linear, so I never had to go of and look at the other side of it for a key. Anyway, it was a nice surprise, but doesn't hold a candle to Bayonetta.

Posted by JokerClown88

As I have never ever ever played a Zelda game, Darksiders is amazing to me in every way.
Posted by Hamz

Started this up last night, loving it so far. Great review.

@FunExplosions:
PS3 version is, technically anyway, bug free. Although a patch for the 360 issues is meant to be on its way.

Posted by Linearskillz

I'm happy to see a positive review for this game after that rather ho-hum quick look. This game is awesome!  I'm also please that it got the same score as Bayonetta.

Posted by Rhaknar
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @FunExplosions said:
"Wondering if the PS3 version has the same screen-tearing issues, 'cause I was thinking of waiting to get this after I buy my 360...  Sounds awesome, though. "
The PS3 version doesn't suffer from screen tearing, but is capped at 30fps, where as the 360 version usually has a smoother frame rate.  Seems this was accidental though, they never applied the cap to the 360 version which causes the tearing problems.  The patch is supposed to fix this, hopefully it'll come soon.  Really nice to see the game get a good review though after the QL was rather unfairly negative because of them focusing on an early part of the game, before most of the mechanics come into play. "
i can confirm that the ps3 version has no screen tearing at all. it does have some frame rate drops, in some areas its quite noticiable, but nothing that ruined it for me
Posted by Rhaknar

im on my way to the third dungeon (gimme Ruin baby!) with about...10 hours in, and im fucking loving the shit out of the game, glad to see Jeff liked it too :D

Posted by WinterSnowblind
@FunExplosions said:
"Wondering if the PS3 version has the same screen-tearing issues, 'cause I was thinking of waiting to get this after I buy my 360...  Sounds awesome, though. "

The PS3 version doesn't suffer from screen tearing, but is capped at 30fps, where as the 360 version usually has a smoother frame rate.  Seems this was accidental though, they never applied the cap to the 360 version which causes the tearing problems.  The patch is supposed to fix this, hopefully it'll come soon. 

Really nice to see the game get a good review though after the QL was rather unfairly negative because of them focusing on an early part of the game, before most of the mechanics come into play.
Posted by Kohe321

Awesome review, I'm probably going to get this.

Posted by Yummylee

Wants this very much.
Posted by jvsexy

fair review

Posted by Kirathian

Yay good score!  

GO BUY THIS PEOPLE!

Posted by mordukai
@FunExplosions said:
" Wondering if the PS3 version has the same screen-tearing issues, 'cause I was thinking of waiting to get this after I buy my 360...  Sounds awesome, though. "
No it does not. Solid all the way through. 
Posted by DrLove

great review jeff glad you liked it.  game borrow from each other alll the time, but if its good, then its good. 

love the detail in this review.
Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition

Just bought it this weekend after hearing all the praise and watching that quick look. I'm enjoying every minute of it. Definitely a great way to start 2010.

Posted by Seppli

Good, fair review. I like your style Jeff.

Posted by OneKillWonder_

Great review, Jeff. My thoughts on this game exactly.  I had a blast with this game (until I went back to try collect everything that I missed) and I can't wait for the potential sequel. Darksiders was a great way to start off the new year.

Posted by handlas
@FunExplosions said:
" Wondering if the PS3 version has the same screen-tearing issues, 'cause I was thinking of waiting to get this after I buy my 360...  Sounds awesome, though. "
I've read that it doesn't or at least isn't as bad.  But they are suppose to patch teh 360 version to specifically fix this issue...I thought. 
Posted by Dan_CiTi

HEAVEN OR HELL?

Posted by FunExplosions

Wondering if the PS3 version has the same screen-tearing issues, 'cause I was thinking of waiting to get this after I buy my 360...

Sounds awesome, though.

Posted by Mezmero

Great review.  I'mactually suprised that you didnt find it as middling as I initially thought, but I'm glad to hear that the game turned out alright.  After seeing that quick look, the asthetic and gameplay reminded me of the Maximo games on PS2, but I'm sure there are plenty game references to go around.  All things said I do hope to check this game out whenever I get a chance.  Keep on doing what you do because its awesome.

Posted by Video_Game_King

Portal+Panzer Dragoon+Zelda=*faints due to how awesome that is in every way ever*

Posted by trimon

yay :D It's great to hear about unexpected winners

Posted by Mr_eX

Darksiders is one of my favorite games this gen. I can't wait to see what the developer does next.

Posted by handlas

Was expecting a 3.  Pleasant surprise.  Went to rent it today and it was checked out...oh well.  Rented Batman instead since I never got to play it.

Posted by MeatSim

Once this game hits the bargain bin I am getting it.

Posted by TaccyP

Didn't really care about this game before, but this review makes me want to check it out.

Posted by InFamous91

awesome

Posted by Kraznor

"But the "advice" he offers is never especially useful and he comes across as very repetitive." Sooooo, EXACTLY like Navi?

Posted by Apathylad

This and Bayonetta are on my wishlist. I don't think I'll have the cash right now to buy them though. :(

Posted by rjayb89

Jeff is scaring me with his extremely high praise on this weeks bombcast.

Posted by DanielJW

Love this game! :) 

I've taken a short break to play my brand new copy of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, but I'm certainly eager to get back to it! 

Posted by lilarchie232

I get the feeling that Jeff's favorite word to describe games is exciting.

But this game looks pretty cool, might pick it up when there's some downtime in the release schedule.

Posted by JJOR64

I'm thinking of buying this game now.  After hearing Jeff talking about it on the Bombcast, the game sounds awesome.

Posted by CitizenJP

Hell yeah thats what I'm talkin about! I love this game!

Posted by Seedofpower

Well, this is a surprise to me. I just might rent this.

• 53 results