141 Comments
  • 141 results
Posted by supercubedude

Parts of this this review read like Ryan's FEAR 2 review to me. The game seems well crafted and enough fun to keep you playing through it, but once you're done...

Posted by Complex

I have been a Splinter Cell Fan from the start, and I have to agree with Ubisoft on what they did for there 5th Title in the SC Franchise, no one wants another Double Agent. Rumor is that Spy vs. Merc Mode may come out as DLC, and it could be free. Can't wait to get my copy of the game from UPS today.    
Posted by Box3ru13

IF you had told me @ PAX that Ryan would be winning this bet I would've laughed in your face and told you to seek mental health services.  

This is a bigger upset than Kansas losing to Northern Iowa 

Posted by floodiastus

This game looks very good and alot of details in the environments, but there is some framerate problems, most noticable in in-game cutscenes. 

Overall I agree with the 4/5. Definately a polished title.

Edited by Terranova

Poor Vinny so Ryan wins the bet, wonder what he's going to do with his $50.  as for the game not really liking the idea that it's much easier i think games get too dumbed down these days, I know most people these days have the attention span of a Gnat but still there are still some of us left that like a bit of a challenge.  

Posted by pplus0440

lol i hate the community on htis site. but the dudes that run it are cool
Posted by get2sammyb

Best first line of a review ever.

Edited by Hardin4188

Chaos Theory was not a hard game. It was very easy to go through most of the levels without even being detected which was a lot of fun. I'm disappointed that you have to kill people in this game. Apparently you can't even knock them out he justs kills everyone.

Posted by Kovski

I find the way the handle the stealth parts of this game very dumb, alo why make things black-and-white when in shadows anyway? Couldn't they just let him have the nvg's for that? Anyway, seeing how short the campaign is i wouldn't say this game is worth it's 4 out 5. Atleast it's a new co-op game which is always nice, atleast it seems like this game is alot better than Double agent, but is it worth it's wait? I wouldn't say so atleast.

Posted by Milkman

Poor Vinny...

Posted by armaan8014
@pplus0440 said:
" lol i hate the community on htis site. but the dudes that run it are cool "
wut.
Posted by Jayzilla

idk. having to pull off a melee attack in order to use the targeting system in a game that is openly going for realism seems really unrealistic.

Posted by Cwaff

I actually thought that Vinny had this one!

Posted by Ooame

Hmmm... seems like a decent enough game i might just have to check it out.

Posted by Nunchuckles

HAhaha, I like how the very first things he rights is "There are no night-vision goggles."  I was scanning the whole article for it, then I typed it in "Find" and there it was.  Sorry Vinny.

Posted by ZeroCast

Just wanted to add, please make a Video Review of this, it's been a while.

Posted by RobotHamster

If only it didn't freeze!  Oh well I have to study anyway.

Posted by JacDG

I call BS! Ubisoft obviously hate Vinny, they took the Night Vision goggles out when they heard about the bet, I see now other explanations. Also best first line of a review evar, and a good review over all, getting this game even though I hate Ubisoft for screwing Vinny over.

Posted by supalink

& thus ends good old splinter cell & turned into the what rainbow six vegas did to the r6 franchise

Posted by MeatSim

No night vision goggles? this is blasphemy!!

Posted by gunslingerNZ

Boooo no NVG!

Posted by ImperiousRix
@Hardin4188 said:
"Chaos Theory was not a hard game. It was very easy to go through most of the levels without even being detected which was a lot of fun. I'm disappointed that you have to kill people in this game. Apparently you can't even knock them out he justs kills everyone. "
I agree.  Chaos Theory was by far my favorite Splinter Cell game so far, and although it was challenging, it never seemed cheap or overly difficult. 
I'm still looking forward to playing this game, I just don't understand where some of the contempt for the old Splinter Cell came from.
Posted by EnduranceFun

Always was obvious Ryan would win. Great call. 

Posted by Yzzerdd

More Accessible=Win Button and Wallhack Goggles

Posted by Dethfish

Vinny was robbed! They purposely changed them from NVGs to Sonar goggles so Vinny would lose the bet. Those assholes!

Posted by Quacktastic
@PosableActionFigure said:
" @Quacktastic said:
" The goggles are still in the game.  They look exactly the same and make that same noise.  They are just 'sonar' now instead of night vision, because they wanted to copy Batman.  Vinny got robbed! "
Hardly. They specifically established that the goggles must be night vision, and that the sonar goggles will not count even if they look identical. "
Robbed!  Good day sir!
Posted by Steve_Ramirez
@supalink said:
" & thus ends good old splinter cell & turned into the what rainbow six vegas did to the r6 franchise "
Dude yes! I fucking hate what they did to the rainbow six franchise with the Vegas series....
Posted by theMAN
@Branthog: It's the patch. Clear your systems cache and refuse to download it. That fixed it for me!
Posted by Damian

This game becoming more accessible than previous SCs was always part of the deal. And if you didn't see that coming, you aren't paying enough attention. You don't have to like it, of course. But that also doesn't mean this game has no merit, or has failed at game design, or even to please its long-time fans as I've enjoyed all the SCs with the exception of DA. And part of my dislike for DA was that the old SC gameplay is tiresome and archaic when brought into todays market. Maybe someday someone will be able to modernize that super-patient, no-room-for-error style stealth game of last gen (lol). But this game was never going to do that. This game is about making stealth more action-oriented, and it appears to have achieved that with some positive results.

I'm far more concerned with its ability to function as disc-based media over its mass market appeal.

Posted by Ubiquitous

I really just wanted my Spys vs. Mercs...

Posted by Brackynews

Mmmm... Pamela Landy bitte. :-d

Edited by Kyreo

If not for the Replay Value (which is a little low), get this for the Stellar Score.  I haven't heard music this good since Castle Crashers!

Posted by Waffles13

I think the part of the review that's here is well written and informative, but as I understand, the co-op elements of this game are a huge portion of the package and they are COMPLETELY omitted apart from one or two quick sentences.

Posted by lordofultima
@Lemon said:
" @supalink said:
" & thus ends good old splinter cell & turned into the what rainbow six vegas did to the r6 franchise "
Dude yes! I fucking hate what they did to the rainbow six franchise with the Vegas series.... "
I agree. Rainbow Six was a great series until Vegas (or really, until Xbox 1). Splinter Cell was a great franchise with a hardcore multiplayer component, and while I can't speak to the quality of the game in Conviction, the multiplayer is a joke.
Posted by HatKing
@Dethfish77 said:
"Vinny was robbed! They purposely changed them from NVGs to Sonar goggles so Vinny would lose the bet. Those assholes! "

I wouldn't be totally surprised if this weren't entirely inaccurate.  I kind of get the impression some devs listen to the podcast and watch the community, I could see them thinking deeply about the inclusion of the goggles.
Posted by Brunchies

They should have made the campaign longer since 60 bucks seems a little pricey for this game.

Posted by Yzzerdd
@Quacktastic: Yeah the bet was pointless the second they showed off the new "better" goggles. The bet really should have been "Will Fisher where something with three glowing lights on his head".
Posted by Slax

This is interesting, while Jeff says there is very little replay value, others have said they have played it multiple times and want to keep playing it. Having played the short demo numerous times I wonder if I will want to do the same with the whole game...

Posted by var_glad

haha xD i was just about to go scrolling for the part about the night vison goggles :P smart move to just start with it and get it out of the way

Posted by Sagalla

I find it a bit odd that there is no mention of the interactive torture sequences that have been advertised and are a part of the game.  Maybe videogamers have become so numb to violence and blatant acts of sadism that these kinds of moral quandries don't even register anymore.

Posted by RedRoach
@lordofultima said:
" @Lemon said:
" @supalink said:
Dude yes! I fucking hate what they did to the rainbow six franchise with the Vegas series.... "
I agree. Rainbow Six was a great series until Vegas (or really, until Xbox 1). Splinter Cell was a great franchise with a hardcore multiplayer component, and while I can't speak to the quality of the game in Conviction, the multiplayer is a joke. "
Personally i will miss the more "hardcore stealth" but i will still enjoy this game a ton. In a perfect world we would have both. On RS:V, i loved that game, i played that on xbox live for 3 years. i made a ton of friends and in my humble opinion is one of my favorite games, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Posted by Kazona

For Jeff, who, far as I know, never really liked stealth games, to give this new SC a 4 star score, is a very good sign in my eyes. I've always enjoyed the SC games, but I did want a more bad-ass Sam Fisher, and it looks like Ubisoft delivered on just that. It might all be a bit more simplified, but that really doesn't bother me, since this there is finally a game besides Batman that will let me feel like a stealthy, deadly predator. 

Love the review, Jeff. Definitely getting this one as soon as I can.

Edited by Yzzerdd
@Sagalla: They look pretty boring not sure what much would be said about them.  Do they really serve a purpose beyond being something hyped on the back of the box? If Fisher wants to get answers out of someone then I think smashing them into walls and shit is a pretty bad way to do considering it should knock  them out or in too much pain to speak properly. I guess it's another case of videogame logic, getting punched hard doesn't daze and confuse.
The Punisher game from a couple years back was truly sadistic with this type of scene.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EKBWVQYRY
Posted by Mr402

Short single player campaign + removal of Spies vs Mercs + dumbing down of stealth elements and gameplay for casual shooter loving crowd = rental.    

Edited by SmAsH

Poor Vinny, I also thought you had won. I will be there by your side! Long Live King Vinny!

He was robbed I tell you....ROBBED!

Posted by RussianDrink
Posted by Binman88

I don't usually take a pass on games like this, but I've had little interest in what I've heard about Conviction, and this review further compounds my belief that they've taken Splinter Cell in completely opposite direction than I'd hoped for.

Posted by SuperUltra

Sorry Vinny ;_;
I thought for sure there would be NV goggles in this game!

Edited by nintendoeats

God Damnit. I would have loved to see an update to the old stealth mechanics. Obviously games need to change, but There are plenty of action games out there, Splinter Cell has always had something special going for it with the focus on avoiding confrontation.

EDIT: I will not be buying this game any time soon...and by soon I mean prior to it being 15 bucks.

• 141 results