64 Comments
  • 64 results
Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy

The motion controls kind of disappoint me a bit, but I will be picking this up when I get through my current stack.

Posted by infamousKONVICT

Played through this game the last couple weeks with my wife, it was great, very challenging and fun and the visuals & effects are nice. Now we are going through each world getting K-O-N-G on all of the levels we don't have it already in order to unlock the 8 orb levels to get into the gold temple(?). So some good replay value so far.

The 2-player works a lot better than the New Super mario bros, we aren't always running into each other and what not and if one of you gets left behind they don't die, which is a relief. 

The only bad thing i can think of is there is only Rambi and no other playable animals like the ostrich, snake, spider and Enguarde the Swordfish from the old games :(  o well...  Also, the main enemies (tiki tribe) is not nearly as cool as King K Rool and the Kremlins.

But i give the game 9/10 
highly recommend it to anyone

Posted by Shatner

I don't normally disagree with GB reviews, but I think this game is one of the best 2D platformers ever made. I'm actually kinda showcked at all the 80% B+ reviews it's getting.

Posted by SUPERD96

Diddy to Donkey no matter who the greatmonkey kings will live on long live kongs, ong live jungles, long live bannanas.
Posted by AnonymousBroccoli
@GetBentTheVideoGame said:
" there's really zero reason that it couldn't be mapped to a button or two on the Classic Controller. People just want the option. "
I'm admittedly only to the second world, but so far, there's zero reason why they couldn't have mapped roll to B/1. It's gratuitous waggle, and it hurts the game a lot.
Posted by SupberUber

Never felt like getting a Wii. 
Until now, that is. I can't overlook my favorite platformer franchise.

Posted by jackelbeaver

I imagine you can just play as player 2 and leave donkey kong in the dust, since he doesn't respawn unless you hit A you can play the whole game as diddy with a 2 heart max.....that should have just been a regular mode.

Posted by EgoCheck616

I sold my Wii 3 years ago. 
It took them until this game for me to regret it. 

Damn you, Nintendo.

Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame
@nmarchan said:
" I don't understand why it's such a big deal that you have to shake the controller every once in a while.  I'm assuming this is like the shake controls in New Super Mario Bros or Mario Galaxy, where one small swift motion is all you need.    

It's a lot more constant than 'every once in a while', it's a bit more vigorous than a Galaxy twitch, and it's used for 3 abilities: beating on the ground when standing still, blowing when crouching, and rolling when moving. It's functional, but without any sort of tilting, there's really zero reason that it couldn't be mapped to a button or two on the Classic Controller. People just want the option.
Edited by nmarchan

I don't understand why it's such a big deal that you have to shake the controller every once in a while.  I'm assuming this is like the shake controls in New Super Mario Bros or Mario Galaxy, where one small swift motion is all you need.    
@Digifiend
said:

" What took them so long to do a proper DKC sequel? The last one was DK64, over a decade ago! This should've been on the Gamecube five or six years ago. Better late than never though. "

Jungle Beat.
Edited by durden77

Before playing this game I wasn't sure how many stars it should get.

I'm only halfway through, and I already feel like it deserves a 5. It's truly fantastic, especially if you have a love for the original series. It never uses nostalgia for a crutch, but the game fits in so well with the rest of the series it doesn't need to. It doesn't feel like they are telling you you're playing DKC again, you're just playing DKC again.

If the game keeps going as strong as it has been, (which I've heard it does) then I think I won't have any problem at all calling this game the best in the series. And I adore the originals.

Posted by Captain_Widdershins

I've waiting a long time for this game. From your review and other reviews it seems like a tiny bit of a let down. sure it's a great game and I'm probably going to buy it regardless but I wish Retro had spent a little more time making it exceptional instead of just great.

Posted by Brendan
@pplus0440 said:
"i hate motino controls. but i will buy anyway "

Those vaguely latin controls make me angry.  Why don't go back to where they came from, and stop taking the regular motion controls games away!?
Posted by motang

Awesome review, and looks like another awesome revival by Retro. Next I think the studio should tackle Star Fox.

Posted by rpoland123

thanks brad

Posted by pplus0440

i hate motino controls. but i will buy anyway
Edited by Lingxor

No mention of the music?  I've heard it's mostly remixes of old themes, but I guess it probably wouldn't stand out either way since they didn't get David Wise back.

Posted by MachidaX89

I dont know really. I loved the game back when i was a kid. But it doesn't look like something that i would 
spend my money on right now.

Posted by robbob88

Good review. Sad to here that the game does not support the Classic Controller considering that the design is a beefed up SNES controller. 

Posted by TripMasterMunky

That sucks about the shake controls. Especially with how essential the roll was in previous DKC games. Obviously they changed the gameplay here to not focus on it so much, but still. It'll be weird NOT rolling all the time in a DKC title. 

Also, yeah, it sucks theres no snow/water levels. But you can't have everything I guess. I really wish they would've stuck to the DKC art style. The graphics seem better on the SNES titles. Yes, they were pre-rendered sprites, but those 3d renders graphics-wise still hold up today and were damn good when released. Just wish they would've leaned more towards a style like that, but oh well. Still can't wait to play this.  

Also I hope co-op is fun and not annoying. I loved played old DKC titles co-op.

Posted by agentboolen

I forgot this was out so soon!!!  Just got a $50 visa card, I think I might use it on this.    

Posted by Sunspots

It's rare Wii games like this one that leaves me with a feeling of regret after selling my  Wii. Where is that Wii HD Nintendo?

Posted by Gambit1024

Can't wait to play. Now if only they'd make a sequel to Donkey Kong 64 ;)

Posted by desku

Shame that the waggle controls hold the game back. I'm still going to buy it and love it though.

Posted by demontium

Oh this comes out tomorrow. God Nintendo doesn't advertise for shit.

Posted by Brackynews
@Eribuster said:
" It's really a shame that there is no Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller support ... "
I was trying to remember how many games have GC support, and Smash Bros is all that came to mind until damn that's a lot.  So yes, poor decision on their part.
Posted by CookieMonster

Decent review, Brad. Might pick this up some time.

Edited by Digifiend

What took them so long to do a proper DKC sequel? The last one was DK64, over a decade ago! This should've been on the Gamecube five or six years ago. Better late than never though.

Posted by AnAmericanPatriot
@Horry43 said:
" No snow levels no buy. Inexcusable for a winter release. Not even trolling. "
THIS. So many TIMES. HOW CAN there be no SNOW LEVELS? That's just GONNA MAKE me mega :(
Posted by BBQBram

Ah yes, this sounds pretty good. I was gonna get it anyway, but now I know it's not just out of hype. Thanks as always for the great review!

Posted by Kartana

I'm sorry but is this the new standard for reviews on GB these days? What about multiplayer? Thanks for nothing!

Posted by issun187

Can't wait to play this! I loved the DKC games back in the days.

Edited by JJWeatherman

I've never been the biggest Donkey Kong fan, but after reading this and watching the QL.... me want! 

AC: Brotherhood and Donkey Kong are definitely going on my christmas shopping list.

Posted by Sawboss

I have always been a huge fan of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kongquest, so I am a little bummed that this game takes most of its beats from the original. That being said, the original was still a hell of a platformer and I trust this will be a great time.

Posted by Dominoes

This looks absolutely fantastic. Retro appears to have done it again. Those bastards are undeniably one of the industries top developers. I cannot wait for their next game; after this of course. Maybe we'll get another trilogy! 

Posted by AuthenticM

They need to get David Wise for the sequel.

Posted by SleepyDoughnut

I'm gonna get this. Also great first sentence Brad.

Posted by Laughlin_12

I love me some Retro Studios. Therefore I might have to play this.

Posted by MisfitToy
@InfamousBIG said:
"So...it's on like Donkey Kong?
            "

TM
Posted by TheMasterDS
@Kodo_Beast: That's true, I had forgotten about that. Another Brad game if I remember right.
Posted by Tireyo

OH YES, I CAN'T WAIT!! SUNDAY NEEDS TO BE TODAY!! >:( 

Posted by gamb1t

looks like ill play my wii for once.

Posted by Kodo_Beast
@Horry43: 

Yeah, where are our Holiday Hare's nowadays? The world's gone to shit.
Posted by Claude

Curious, in the Quick Look, you mentioned not even trying the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combo because you didn't care. You say you preferred the Remote on its side in the written review. Did you finally give the combo a try? Or did you still not care? Just a thought, game looks pretty cool.

Posted by Horry43

No snow levels no buy. Inexcusable for a winter release. Not even trolling.

Posted by big_jon

I want this so bad.
Posted by Eribuster

It's really a shame that there is no Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller support for a game that demands precision platforming and critical timing on a 2D plane. I wonder if I will be less forgiving of the game's unnecessary waggle when i pick this game up.

Posted by Kodo_Beast
@TheMasterDS: 

Just remember that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, a 4 star reviewed game, won the Wii GOTY last time.
Posted by ch3burashka

I'm so happy Nintendo decided to bring DKC back. It's also great that the game is terrific (as far as I can tell) with a few minor issues. I only hope that Nintendo has a trilogy planned this time around as well, so as to continue perfecting the formula... 
...and maybe bring some characters back.

Posted by JJOR64

Can't wait till this game comes out.  TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!!!

• 64 results