64 Comments
  • 64 results
Posted by motang

Awesome review, and looks like another awesome revival by Retro. Next I think the studio should tackle Star Fox.

Posted by Brendan
@pplus0440 said:
"i hate motino controls. but i will buy anyway "

Those vaguely latin controls make me angry.  Why don't go back to where they came from, and stop taking the regular motion controls games away!?
Posted by Captain_Widdershins

I've waiting a long time for this game. From your review and other reviews it seems like a tiny bit of a let down. sure it's a great game and I'm probably going to buy it regardless but I wish Retro had spent a little more time making it exceptional instead of just great.

Edited by durden77

Before playing this game I wasn't sure how many stars it should get.

I'm only halfway through, and I already feel like it deserves a 5. It's truly fantastic, especially if you have a love for the original series. It never uses nostalgia for a crutch, but the game fits in so well with the rest of the series it doesn't need to. It doesn't feel like they are telling you you're playing DKC again, you're just playing DKC again.

If the game keeps going as strong as it has been, (which I've heard it does) then I think I won't have any problem at all calling this game the best in the series. And I adore the originals.

Edited by nmarchan

I don't understand why it's such a big deal that you have to shake the controller every once in a while.  I'm assuming this is like the shake controls in New Super Mario Bros or Mario Galaxy, where one small swift motion is all you need.    
@Digifiend
said:

" What took them so long to do a proper DKC sequel? The last one was DK64, over a decade ago! This should've been on the Gamecube five or six years ago. Better late than never though. "

Jungle Beat.
Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame
@nmarchan said:
" I don't understand why it's such a big deal that you have to shake the controller every once in a while.  I'm assuming this is like the shake controls in New Super Mario Bros or Mario Galaxy, where one small swift motion is all you need.    

It's a lot more constant than 'every once in a while', it's a bit more vigorous than a Galaxy twitch, and it's used for 3 abilities: beating on the ground when standing still, blowing when crouching, and rolling when moving. It's functional, but without any sort of tilting, there's really zero reason that it couldn't be mapped to a button or two on the Classic Controller. People just want the option.
Posted by EgoCheck616

I sold my Wii 3 years ago. 
It took them until this game for me to regret it. 

Damn you, Nintendo.

Posted by jackelbeaver

I imagine you can just play as player 2 and leave donkey kong in the dust, since he doesn't respawn unless you hit A you can play the whole game as diddy with a 2 heart max.....that should have just been a regular mode.

Posted by SupberUber

Never felt like getting a Wii. 
Until now, that is. I can't overlook my favorite platformer franchise.

Posted by AnonymousBroccoli
@GetBentTheVideoGame said:
" there's really zero reason that it couldn't be mapped to a button or two on the Classic Controller. People just want the option. "
I'm admittedly only to the second world, but so far, there's zero reason why they couldn't have mapped roll to B/1. It's gratuitous waggle, and it hurts the game a lot.
Posted by SUPERD96

Diddy to Donkey no matter who the greatmonkey kings will live on long live kongs, ong live jungles, long live bannanas.
Posted by Shatner

I don't normally disagree with GB reviews, but I think this game is one of the best 2D platformers ever made. I'm actually kinda showcked at all the 80% B+ reviews it's getting.

Posted by infamousKONVICT

Played through this game the last couple weeks with my wife, it was great, very challenging and fun and the visuals & effects are nice. Now we are going through each world getting K-O-N-G on all of the levels we don't have it already in order to unlock the 8 orb levels to get into the gold temple(?). So some good replay value so far.

The 2-player works a lot better than the New Super mario bros, we aren't always running into each other and what not and if one of you gets left behind they don't die, which is a relief. 

The only bad thing i can think of is there is only Rambi and no other playable animals like the ostrich, snake, spider and Enguarde the Swordfish from the old games :(  o well...  Also, the main enemies (tiki tribe) is not nearly as cool as King K Rool and the Kremlins.

But i give the game 9/10 
highly recommend it to anyone

Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy

The motion controls kind of disappoint me a bit, but I will be picking this up when I get through my current stack.