132 Comments
  • 132 results
Edited by Venatio

Hmm, 4 stars? Expected 5

Posted by Jadeskye
@Venatio: 4 makes sense.
Posted by Bobdaman18

I expect 5 as well...still, good review.

Posted by EgoCheck616

There are going to be a hell of a lot of MW2 haters who are going to rip this review apart.

Posted by Kyreo

Nice review.  Usually I don't skip the single player of any shooter but this review totally validates my decision of skipping the campaign.

Posted by johnlennon

wtb this game

Posted by Andheez

Yup

Posted by monster9999

Good review Jeff 4 makes good sense to me and ya stabbing dudes on uav's....awesome

Posted by Jeffsekai

le sigh

Posted by hinderk

Great review Jeff. Might pick this game up later if I get the chance.

Posted by Ghostiet

I felt the single player portion of the first BC was very bland and served only as a tutorial for the multiplayer, so I am very surprised by Jeff's fond memories of it.

Posted by Noitu

Damn, this is definitely a get for me, then

Posted by MAN_FLANNEL

I called it.  Great multiplayer + so-so single player - coop = 4 stars.  

Posted by dbz1995
@EgoCheck616 said:
" There are going to be a hell of a lot of MW2 haters who are going to rip this review apart. "
Basically. The team of Jeff defenders, MW2 lovers and the 'stars mean nothing' duders will all unite and make a destructive force.
Posted by HatKing

I was right!  4 stars was what I predicted Jeff would give this game!  I don't know if that means I know Jeff too well or I know video games too well. :/
Posted by SuperSambo

Good review, I could never understand your views on the first game's single player... I would however prefer a more refined version of that, than what they seem to have produced.

But this is BF, im in it for the MP!

Posted by StrikeALight

Worth a purchase, then.

Posted by KamasamaK
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" I called it.  Great multiplayer + so-so single player - coop = 4 stars.   "
When was this? You said 5/5 in a comment on the MAG review.
Posted by rottendevice

Great review.  

I hope the Bad Company 2 multiplayer gets more attention than the first game's did.  It's so well balanced and fun.

Posted by Bollard

I loved the campaign of the first one so much for the characters. Looks like imma be doing a hella lot of standing around then to enjoy this one. Tis a shame. The end of the first one made me enjoy BFBC the way I did too.

Posted by poundrock

Don't forget to set the audio to the WAR TAPES setting.  Makes a world of difference and really puts you into the action.  Awesome game.

Posted by JoelTGM
@HatKing said:
" I was right!  4 stars was what I predicted Jeff would give this game!  I don't know if that means I know Jeff too well or I know video games too well. :/ "
It's because you know how reviews work.  With average singleplayer, you're not allowed to give it 5/5   :)
Posted by Out_On_Bail

Good review. I mostly agree with all of it.

Posted by biggest_loser

Thanks for the review Jeff!

Posted by Torben

Great review! 

What if it did not have a single player part but was just like MAG? How would it compare to that? I would love to see some thoughts on that subject.

Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro

First BC campaign was mediocre at best and the characterisation and dialogue was tired and unfunny. 

Luckily I don't play Battlefield games for their story arcs or "witty" jibes from it's characters during the campaign. Multiplayer all the way.

And Squad Rush is available to all non-Americans from day one.

Posted by MAN_FLANNEL
@Kamasama said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
" I called it.  Great multiplayer + so-so single player - coop = 4 stars.   "
When was this? You said 5/5 in a comment on the MAG review. "
Wow, somebody has a good memory (I didn't even remember saying that at first).  Anyways, I voted 4 in a "what do you think Jeff will give it" thread after hearing the campaign wasn't too hot. That 5/5 comment came from me being surprised by Jeff giving MAG ( a game which he didn't seem to like all that much) a 4. 
Posted by stealthdf2

Awesome, I cant wait to tear into this tonight when i get home!!!

Edited by kingando420

All my favourite games get 4 (Fallout 3, BF 1943, Borderlands) so I guess that must mean this is awesome?! A bit weird that MW2 got a 5 though when that also had a flawed single player campaign and a weaker multiplayer than BC2 (in my opinion) maybe spec-ops saved it? Personally not my cup of tea.

Posted by Metal_Mills

Who the hell plays BF for the single player? I honestly might not even touch it.

Posted by Hashbrowns
@Metal_Mills said:
"Who the hell plays BF for the single player? I honestly might not even touch it."

I do, and since the campaign was the only reason I liked the first one, I won't be buying Bad Company 2.
Posted by Nadafinga

I'm finding the campaign to be good fun so far...I'm only a few levels in, but it has a great opening level, and the subsequent levels have some cool epic explosions and hectic firefights.  There's a little bit too much "on-rails" stuff so far, but that's my only complaint, and its a small one.

Posted by Milkman

About what I expected. It's a shame that DICE seemed to push the single player aside like an afterthought. I love Battlefield multiplayer as much as the next time but without the terrific single player that the original had, it's just a Battlefield game.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by Jeffk38uk

Quite tempted to get this game, even tho I've never played a Battlefield game before. Seems this focuses much more on the tactical and capture rather than the total of your kill streak.

Posted by ultimathule

So the multiplayer is awesome but it's lacking on singleplayer aspect. First MW2 and now this, I wonder if the singleplayer in FPS is coming to an end =/

Posted by RsistncE

I don't get this review. MAG had no single player and a multiplayer that was worse than this game's, yet they both get the same score? MW2 had the superior single player but the inferior multiplayer (which is arguably the selling point for both MW2 and BC2) yet it got a 5? Either the reviews are bullshit or we're seeing the limits of using a 5 star score system.

Posted by OneKillWonder_

Couldn't agree more with this review. I'm about 5 missions deep in the campaign and it just feels incredibly bland, with the exception of a few firefights and the vehicle chases (the one in the 5th missions is particularly awesome).

I love the multiplayer in this game. Didn't really care for the original Bad Company in that department, but BC2 hits all the right notes here.

Posted by MAN_FLANNEL
@RsistncE: 
Opinion. Opinion. Opinion. Opinion. Opinion.
Posted by supercubedude
@RsistncE: 
 Or maybe it's Jeff's opinion that MW2 is better than BC2?
Posted by natetodamax

I officially don't like the 5 star rating system. Doesn't make much sense.

Posted by Tennmuerti
@RsistncE: I'm with you on this, feels wierd.

This shows very well the limit of the 5 star system. Altho I would rather GB just did away with review scores honestly. I much rather read the review only and not see the "score" so that I'm only influenced by what is said in words. it's hard not to look at the score when it exists. That's just my opinion tho :)
Posted by SteveV

Maybe they should have just dropped the singleplayer completely. It seems to be the thing that is dragging down the review scores, and who really plays Battlefield games for the singleplayer? I´m definitely getting this game though :)

Posted by Xeiphyer

I played a good 6 hours of it last night and its amazing. I doubt I will ever play the singleplayer though, maybe for trophies.

Posted by shatteringlast

I think the SP in this game is way better than in BC1. I'm actually giving it a chance this time... that also could be because I can't seem to join ANY FUCKING GAMES ONLINE. 

My scores so far: 
SP - 4/5 
MP - RAGE/5

Posted by Scooper

Great review, Jeff. Maybe could of touched upon that in multiplayer the experience is enhanced many fold if in a squad of friends because that makes the game for me really special.

Posted by PhannIOUS

I personally thought the Single player was quite great. Right up there with COD4, a bit less than MW2. Still pretty great. Funny pokes at MW2 also. Even the com guy (riverhead: dispatcher?) has the EXACT same voice as the guy in MW2. They must have used the same person. Multi isn't my favorite. Since all you have to do is camp a tank and rack up amazing amounts of kills.

Posted by Nemesis

DICE and their legions of fanboys are really showing their douchebagginess. Bad Company 1 single player was much better than BC2's single player because it was actually different. Now they are trying to copy everything from the COD series and are failing miserably. I don't remember Bungie, Infinity Ward, or Zipper ever taking shots at each other. Looks like they are jealous that the crown was taken from them years ago.

You bitches can argue while I enjoy both games.

Posted by TheJollyRajah

Jeff, this is a 5 star game. COD is the most overrated shit ever.  

Seriously, MAG gets 4 stars along with this??? Sometimes I feel you should ditch the 5 star system.

Posted by SPACETURTLE

Only 4? I havent played the full release yet, but I seriously thought this game was going to get 5...

Posted by CarolynP

Anyone looking at any scoring system to tell them everything they need to know about a game is always going to end up being frustrated. A 4-star system sometimes seems too limited. With a much broader system, people search out minute discrepancies, arguing about why one game gets a 7 and another a 7.5 or why one gets an 8.2 and another gets an 8.3. No matter what kind of system you use, consistently scoring hundreds and hundreds of games in a way that makes sense to everyone and that nobody perceives any inconsistencies with is pretty much impossible. There's just too much subjectivity involved.

• 132 results