112 Comments
  • 112 results
Edited by wumbo3000

Star Fox eh?

Posted by Capasso

Kessler eh?

Posted by Akeldama

Matt Kessler is a fucking intern, not a game critic. Christ guys, Space Marine and Star Fox are big titles this year. Where are the main staff reviews?

Posted by RE_Player1

Yeah I rather grab the Virtual console version for $10. I can't stand the re-recorded voices.

Edited by Drazat

@Akeldama:

Space marine and starfox are big titles this year? have you looked at the upcoming game tsunami ?

Posted by Jaqen_HGhar

A well written and informative review. Really enjoyed this on N64 back in the day, and have played it through a couple of times on Virtual Console. But I don't even own a 3DS, so I mostly post this to counter all the "why is the intern reviewing games" posts that I already see a few of. So I say, good job Kessler!

Posted by Thor_Molecules

Great review Matt!

Posted by rjayb89

FEAR GAUNTLET, KESSLER. NOT THESE SILLY REVIEWS.

Posted by yoshimitz707

Andross’ crazy hyena laugh has completely vanished.

FUCK THAT!

Posted by SpartanAmbrose

Fuck the haters. Great job, Matt.

Posted by Elow

Great review Matt. Was going to buy it soon but will wait for it to be ~$20.

Edited by Metal_Mills

@Akeldama said:

Matt Kessler is a fucking intern, not a game critic. Christ guys, Space Marine and Star Fox are big titles this year. Where are the main staff reviews?

They aren't big titles at all. They are moderate and while they play the actual big games. Dead Island, Gears 3, Resistance 3, ect And how do you think you get to being a game critic? Gotta start somewhere.

Posted by SpudBug

The price point is a valid argument. but ones that die hard fans of this game are likely to ignore.

It's a great game, and super replayable. Having it portable is really good for fans. If you have no nostalgia for the game or don't get into score attack and collecting medals, yeah, at $40 this is kinda tough.

$20 and it'd be gold though.

Edited by Pr1mus

@Akeldama said:

Jeff did Driver San Fransisco and Gears 3, Brad did Dead Island, Patrick did Resistance 3, Alex did Rock of Ages, Ryan did the Gun Stringer. And they also were all busy preparing the BLLSL and their usual stuff like bombcast and quicklooks. So yeah feel free to fuck off.

Edited by TechnoSyndrome

This sounds about right. Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games ever, but I'd have a hard time suggesting people to buy it for $40, especially when you can get the N64 version I played so much as a kid on the Wii's Virtual Console for a fourth of the price.

Posted by countinhallways

@SpartanAmbrose said:

Fuck the haters. Great job, Matt.

Indeed. Kessler's reviews are getting better all the time. Good stuff.

Also, yeah, seems like a good remake, but I have definite concerns over its value proposition.

Posted by Pr1mus

@SpudBug said:

This. I'd buy that for 20. Every HD collection is 40$ on PS3 for 2 games. or 20 individually on PSN so there's no justification for that 40$ price tag.

Posted by Jolt92

@Akeldama: DURRHURRRR

Kessler keeps getting better all the time, fuck the haters.

I don't think I'll be getting this one anytime soon, when it's on sale though.

Posted by amir90

Wait, you pay 40$ for a new 3DS game? :o

That is considered budget price almost in Norway.

Anyways, enough of the price fight.

I would buy it, if I had money, hey oh!

Posted by Enigma777

@Metal_Mills said:

@Akeldama said:

They aren't big titles at all. They are moderate and while they play the actual big games. Dead Island, Gears 3, Resistance 3, ect And how do you think you get to being a game critic? Gotta start somewhere.

Now way in hell is Dead Island a big game.

Posted by louiedog
@Pr1mus said:

@SpudBug said:

This. I'd buy that for 20. Every HD collection is 40$ on PS3 for 2 games. or 20 individually on PSN so there's no justification for that 40$ price tag.

Yeah, and those are only one generation old.
Posted by CallofSpartansofWar1337

I rely wish da 3ds wuld get sum good games. I dunt play nintendo much but de 3d seems cool and i bet da pple who have 1 wuld like to play it mo!

Posted by Ketchupp

This game is waaay too short.

Posted by mrcraggle

Great review Kessler. Fuck the haters and just keep doing what you're doing man. I don't have a 3DS and even if I did I still wouldn't pick this up. I played it tons of times back on the N64 and it can be completed even on the hard route which means suffering through that submarine level in just over 30 minutes. They should've actually cut that level out as it's 14 years old, surely Nintendo know that people hate that level by now.

Posted by Metal_Mills

@Enigma777 said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Akeldama said:

Actually it is. It was hyped a lot and has shipped over 2 million copies.

Posted by MattBodega

Writing this review broke my damn heart.

Not to get too sentimental or anything, but Star Fox 64 was the very first console game I ever owned. I've put hundreds of childhood hours into this game. At one point, I could quote every line of dialog from memory. It is a game very near and dear to my heart.

I love this game emotionally, but I can't logically recommend it. It's just too much money for a game that hasn't been sufficiently modernized.

It made me feel very sad to realize just how far video gaming has come, and how one of my favorite games no longer stands up anymore.

Posted by Enigma777

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Akeldama said:

Actually it is. It was hyped a lot and has shipped over 2 million copies.

Nope, still not a big game.

Posted by RedLycra

@Akeldama: Don't know if you've noticed but I think Kessler might be getting hired full time.

Just a hunch.

Posted by Tsukiyomi

@Akeldama said:

Sure is butthurt nintendrone in here.

Posted by Thor_Molecules

@Tsukiyomi said:

Sure is butthurt nintendrone in here.

Back to 4chan with you, child. You sound dumber than the original poster.

Posted by washingmachine

Stop hating on Kessler. This a very good review, the boy clearly knows how to articulate his points and be just with his reasoning--what else do you want from a reviewer? Guys like Kessler are doing solid work, and try to remember that it's a learning process as well.

Posted by Mystyr_E

@RedLycra: all I can think of when I read that is UGH

Posted by sundowner

this is such a good looking game, but that $40 price tag is such a buzzkill

Posted by RedLycra

@Mystyr_E: Seems preeeeetty fucking inevitable at this point. Like it or not.

Posted by lokilaufey

Great review, Matt!

Posted by Robot_Sneakers

I have to admit I really like Kessler's reviews and Quick Looks. Though I am curious at what price he'd suggest buying this game.

Edited by Zimbo

@Akeldama said:

How do you think people become game critics? Generally it's by getting a proper internship with a site like Giant Bomb where you can meet contacts and write about video games. Just ask Jeff. That's how he got into the industry I believe.

Also,

Gears of War 3 - Jeff

Dead Island - Brad

The Gunstringer - Ryan

Rock of Ages - Alex

Driver - Jeff

Resistance 3 - Patrick

Funny how opening your eyes lets you see all the main staff reviews written over the past 10 days.

Posted by AldoTheApache

@Akeldama said:

This

Posted by NakAttack

@MattBodega said:

Writing this review broke my damn heart.

Not to get too sentimental or anything, but Star Fox 64 was the very first console game I ever owned. I've put hundreds of childhood hours into this game. At one point, I could quote every line of dialog from memory. It is a game very near and dear to my heart.

I love this game emotionally, but I can't logically recommend it. It's just too much money for a game that hasn't been sufficiently modernized.

It made me feel very sad to realize just how far video gaming has come, and how one of my favorite games no longer stands up anymore.

Great review Matt, at least be thankful that your first game was not Superman 64, like mine was.

Posted by Freek

@Enigma777: I still think Dead Island is a bit bigger then Star Fox 64 3D on the release side.

Posted by Oginam

@MattBodega: Good review Matt.

Posted by Shaanyboi

I'm not hating on the review, but I think Kessler relies wayyyy too much on the argument of this game being altered. Yeah, the voice samples are re-recorded. Why? Because the originals sound like shit. And the sound quality on the for the music on the original was ALSO awful. I get that that "awfulness" is kinda engrained with nostalgia into peoples' memories, especially if they played this endlessly growing up, but changing that is hardly a valid point to knock against the game. That said, the point that this game simply isn't worth $40 anymore without any meaningful additions is kinda justification enough for the score...

Posted by g6065

Nice review Matt

Posted by tourgen

how does a mediocre re-release of an N64 game get 3 stars? 

Posted by Dapski418

A fair review, it seems.

Posted by Jimi

@AldoTheApache said:

@Akeldama said:

This

So you want the 4 dudes to review every game + do quick looks + the bombcast + all the new subscriber content?

Besides Matt does write a good review, chances are he will be hired full time soon.

Posted by supercubedude

They really rerecorded the audio? How stupid.

Also, Kessler haters can go fuck themselves. Great review, Matt.

Posted by OneManX

@Akeldama said:

Writing all the other reviews?

Posted by LiquidPenguins

Written like a 4th grader.

Posted by MattBodega

@Shaanyboi: I harp on the audio changes mostly as a fan and the kind of person most likely to pay way too much for a Star Fox port. It's keeps the game from being the best possible port of a game I hold in too high esteem.

• 112 results