191 Comments
  • 191 results
Edited by Nicholas

Thank you, Jeff. After watching the "Ask Me Anything" and hearing you talk about the dire straits that humanity is in at the beginning of Gears of War 3 I was sold.

P.S. I already have this quest.

Edited by notdrew

yay

edit: LOL Dammit. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THAT THIS HAS HAPPEN TO ME. Being second twice should be a quest dammit!

Edited by evilrazer

Haha. Anyway, I already have this quest.

Posted by DerekDanahy

Hell yeah 5 stars!

Posted by Hoffafiles

Partay all night

Posted by MadLaughter

Definitely playing this. Thanks Jeff! (Time to read >_>)

Posted by BeanoFritz

Dammit

Posted by MariachiMacabre

@Nicholas said:

ygrwdtetrt

@thatguy said:

asda

Pathetic.

Hot damn I'm excited for this game!

Edited by Marz

as Marcus would say...  "NIIIIIICE!"

Posted by ReyGitano

Damn. Well, no way of holding out on my friends now... College life has made me so damn broke.

Posted by Hot_Karl

I'm glad that we got a pretty nice assessment of Ice-T's performance in this review as well.

Posted by Xymox

There's no way in hell gears 3 could get 5 stars. Did it? It did. Holy crap. Video review coming soon?

Posted by Shaggydoo

Yea mang

Posted by Warihay

Just confirming what I already figured. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Posted by Animasta

@EuanDewar said:

Going to read this review anyway because it's staff content and it would be a shame not to but I am getting this game irrespective of anything in this review.

are you dissappointed it only got 5 stars? :P

this is totally not my kind of game at all, and I really don't get how people find it fun, but it's probably a good version of said game type? I got nothin.

Posted by cassus

So.. Gameplay still just holding the trigger down and then timing the reload, then?

Posted by evilrazer

@cassus: But now you can cry occasionally, if you want.

Posted by EuanDewar

Just read it.

This sounds literally perfect for my needs.

Posted by rmanthorp

"Oh, and Ice-T's pretty great in it, too."

YES. As expected Gears3, I am so excited!

Edited by LiquidSwords

LET THE HATE BEGIN!!!!!

Ugh! It's midnight and have work tomorrow. Of course I'm going to watch this right now!

Posted by niamahai

i am now saddened that my epic edition won't arrive till NEXT saturday

Posted by Diablochicken14

I'm sold on this now, can't wait to get back into Gears again.

Posted by Red

Meh. I've never liked the Gears of War franchise. Too gray, enemies soak up too many bullets, too macho, and characters control poorly. I'll take Uncharted's cover-based shooting over GeoW any day.

Still, good review, and considering it's the biggest game dropping for another month, I may rent it and give the series another try.

Posted by rjayb89

Whoa, whoa there, Marcus! There's a fucking chainsaw on your fucking gun, watch where you put your hands, man.

Edited by NathHaw

I think that Gears of War was a pinnacle of the 360. It was a seminal game.

Posted by onan

5 stars! I'm shocked. ;D

Can't wait for this to come in the mail

Posted by Nayson

Five stars? Why so low Jeff? Why so low?!?

Posted by Catarrhal

@Red: Totally agree, but I'm obligated to play this because of Ice-T.

Posted by mewarmo990

It's good to hear the series is still going strong. I don't own a 360 but I thought the PC port of GoW was a job well done. Too bad there won't be any more since it's pretty clear by now that Games For Windows (for which GoW PC was a flagship title) was a failed initiative.

Posted by Stahlbrand

Glad to hear it came out well. All that time to polish, it would be a shame if it didn't.

I guess I should pre-order? I normally wouldn't, but when I went to get Dead Island a week after release I found it completely sold out... Which is a personal first for a non-instrument based game.

Posted by Curious_George

@Red said:

Meh. I've never liked the Gears of War franchise. Too gray, enemies soak up too many bullets, too macho, and characters control poorly. I'll take Uncharted's cover-based shooting over GeoW any day.

Still, good review, and considering it's the biggest game dropping for another month, I may rent it and give the series another try.

I rented the first and second and they were a fine diversion, but I don't see why the series receives so much attention. My Xbox is now busted so I won't be playing this one, but I kind of don't feel like I'll be missing much. I'd take an Uncharted any day as well (if only for the less drab scenery).

Posted by TheKing

Yeah, woo! Bring it on sucker - this' my kind of shit.

Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw

Of all the games I can't play due to my visual limitations, the Gears series is the most lamentable as it looks spectacular and fun. I'm hoping to see this one in action, but I doubt I'll ever be picking it up myself.

Moderator Online
Posted by bkbroiler

Welp, time to place that order at Amazon.

Posted by itsjoncharles

I agree about the multiplayer - it's very competitive. In every other FPS scene I've entered, I have initially sucked but have then got a lot better to perhaps even good. Gears 3 was the first time this did not happen. I continued to suck despite practice and this puts me off, because I will only be playing the campaign as well as Horde and Beast mode. Therefore I have to ask myself whether this is worth a purchase at the moment, especially with Battlefield 3 and the Halo: Reach Title Update around the corner.

Posted by l4wd0g

Great read. Thanks for the review.

Posted by SoftCoreDave

Neat!

Posted by ectoplasma

Oh no. You broke the streak of never ending 4* reviews!

Posted by TaliciaDragonsong

Awesome, I've heard nothing but good things so far.
This will last me long hopefully!

Posted by SuperfluousMoniker

I've never been a huge Gears fan, mostly because I don't like the multiplayer, but if this has a better single player campaign than Gears 2 (which was fucking terrible IMHO) it'll be at least a rent for me.

Posted by lockload

Seem like such a feature rich game, amazing value compared to many games

Posted by mastrbiggy

Good review Jeff.

Posted by wickedsc3

I've loved all the gears games, already had this pre-ordered but good too see it got a great review. Can't wait for Tuesday, this is such a great franchise.

Posted by CassyFU

damn one of few things leaving me wanting 360...

Posted by Swoxx

Awww yeaaah, let's wrap this bitch up

Posted by WiqidBritt

I'll probably play this mostly on normal, I've always felt that the enemies take way too many bullets to make playing the game 'tactically' feel right.

Posted by Brackynews

"Scramble 'em 'till they're dry!!!"

\m/ >_< \m/

Posted by ChernobylCow

Sounds neat. All these early reviews have got me excited for a game I was other wise ignoring. My girlfriend and I beat GoW2's campaign in splitscreen (using different difficulties was very nice) and I played horde for a while but that game has been shelved for a long time.

Unfortunately, Jeff's review is a little bit by the numbers without much of his personality showing through. Having a comment about Ice-T at the end is about it. Hopefully if we see a video review we'll see "Jeff's side" but if you read snippets of this review alongside a video it would sound like one of his old Gamespot write-ups. Oh, well. He's probably exhausted from slugging through this game so fast.

Posted by Mijati

Looking forward to this greatly. As a "top" gears 2 player (Was ranked top 250 when I stopped playing) am definitely going to be putting in a lot of time into this. On top of that I've loved the story thus far and can't wait to see how it ends so will be playing through that at least twice (I do my first run on Hardcore then the second on Insane, maybe co-op) like I have done the previous too games.

Posted by bones360uk

Jeff just made my day!

• 191 results