1094 Comments
Posted by Darkecho117

First review of the year is a 5 star. Way to start things off okay video games.

Posted by MrAriscottle

Might check the demo out then. Good review.

Posted by Wastrel

I...don't know about this, Brad. But alright.

Posted by Zuldim

Whoa, really? 5 Stars? To... DmC?

O- Okay, I'll admit, I didn't see that coming.

Posted by killacam

whoa!

Posted by CptBedlam

"character action" is a genre? Huh?

Posted by Demoskinos

He was obviously paid off you guys.... *cue eye roll*

Posted by Hardtarget

well ..

that's surprising

Posted by Sackmanjones

Very cool to hear that this game turned out awesome. I'll be waiting for a pc discount but cannot wait to pick it up

Edited by L33tfella_H

I foresee a massive shitstorm incoming concerning the review score for this.

Personally, game's alright, slightly disappointing if you're used to character action games like this though.

Edit: Odds on Brad's opinion of the game dropping by the end of the year? Might just be me, but it seems he is super excited for some games during the review process, but afterwards starts finding more and more flaws with them as time goes on.

Posted by Mesoian

I am genuinely surprised.

Posted by Zurv

really? hrmm.. I don't like games like this.. but i'll pick it up...

I better like it brad! :)

Posted by Big_Mex
Posted by falserelic

YAY!

Posted by MrGtD

UH OH, there's no way I'm staying in this comment section for long. This is about to go real bad.

Posted by Marz

5 stars, wasn't expecting that :D

Posted by HaltIamReptar

When I saw the 5 star score, I knew instantly that it was Brad who reviewed it. Nobody does hyperbole quite like Shoemaker.

Posted by Twinsun

Already pre-ordered it for PC, looking forward to playing it even more now :).

Posted by DoctorWelch

Interesting. I don't give a shit about DMC either...maybe I'll like this game.

Posted by LikeaSsur

I smell a storm approaching.

Posted by ZeroV2

This game is a disgrace to the Devil May Cry series

The awesomely complex and intricate combat systems from the other DMC games (barring 2) was thrown out of the window in favor of a casualized and totally simplistic brain dead turd. Not only that but it's obvious that Dante is essentially Tameem masturbating via video games

I wish someone with an actual interest in the DMC series could have reviewed this and given it a score that reflects the obvious steps back in quality that this series has suffered.

Posted by Spaceyoghurt

Huh.

Posted by MuncherOfSpleens

Maybe I need to stop ignoring this game.

Posted by Mesoian

@L33tfella_H: The biggest problem this game seems to have aren't ones that are going to permeate reviews. The fact that you can do SSS combos super easily now can only be put into context if you're not just a fan of older DMC games, but are hardcore into them tot he point where you complete stuff like Dante must Die mode and the Bloody Tower. I think we'll see a ton of 4's across the board, as the narrative, while stupid (which it's always been), doesn't really seem to be anything offensively terrible like people thought it would. Sessler's review was pretty interesting, him saying that it's the clearest and most focused the story in an DMC game has ever been, but that drags it down because it makes how stupid the whole thing is that much more apparent.

Posted by Getz

Yeah sure, I'll buy this. It's kind of funny; Bayonetta was the first game I bought that year too.

Posted by Draxyle

I don't know much about the DMC franchise, but almost all the buzz leading up to today made it sound like a terrible direction for the series and for the fans. It's very interesting to see it get glowing reviews on release despite all evidence to the contrary; that normally never happens in videogames.

I should probably pick up the old DMC collection someday soon to start.

Posted by JoeGuy

Surprised at a GB 5/5 tbh.

Posted by wemibelec90

@Demoskinos said:

I can't believe how many of these comments I'm seeing. It appears DMC fans are not very good with change.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

Okay Brad, picking this up tomorrow.

@CptBedlam said:

"character action" is a genre? Huh?

I never heard of it outside Giantbomb and while a silly, vauge sounding title, It works.

Posted by Shaanyboi

Ninja Theory is kinda the only reason I cared about a new Devil May Cry at all. I hope it's an experience I'll enjoy when it arrives in the mail.

Posted by thebunnyhunter

Was pretty excited for this since i played the demo and all my hesitant thinking has been quelled. Be picking this up

Posted by Video_Game_King

A.) I knew that Brad reviewed this before I even clicked it.

B.) ElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiAsura'sWrathElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddaiElShaddai

Posted by brownsfantb

@ZeroV2 said:

The awesomely complex and intricate combat systems from the other DMC games (barring 2) was thrown out of the window in favor of a casualized and totally simplistic brain dead turd. Not only that but it's obvious that Dante is essentially Tameem masturbating via video games

I wish someone with an actual interest in the DMC series could have reviewed this and given it a score that reflects the obvious steps back in quality that this series has suffered.

Because all of the other reviews are saying how bad it is. Except it seems that most people agree with Brad. The game has been getting great reviews across the board.

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

Damn sounds like they improved alot from 4, might have to give it a crack.

Posted by nohthink

Wow, starting off 2012 with a 5 star game. I can feel this year is gonna be great :)

Edited by cannonballBAM

I love you, you are awesome.

Posted by weegieanawrench

Great review, Brad. Did not expect a fiver at all. I would be stoked if I were any good at these sorts of games, I just can't seem to move my fingers fast enough.

Posted by ArtisanBreads

Nice. Dudes on already assuming this was getting a 3 or 4. Can't wait for the PC version.

Posted by spilledmilkfactory

Agreed, got the game early and it's one of the best action titles I've played in a long while

Posted by Demoskinos

@wemibelec90 said:

@Demoskinos said:

I can't believe how many of these comments I'm seeing. It appears DMC fans are not very good with change.

Yeah, cute when people point out the slightly more negative reviews and are like YO THIS GUY IS TELLING THE TRUTH. THEM OTHER GUYS MAN THEY JUST ON THE TAKE. FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Like, c'mon thats sad when you can just accept that some people actually really like this reboot.

Posted by L33tfella_H

@Mesoian: Yea, suppose you have a point. To the game's credit, as reviewers have already stated, it helps ease people not familiar with these types of games into it, but the hardcore definitely won't come away impressed with it (my take on it atleast).

Posted by JoeyRavn

@ZeroV2 said:

So, what you're saying is that if this is my first DMC game, I won't be disappointed by it? Sweet. I'm gonna get it for PC.

Posted by Pr1mus

Dis gon b gud.

Some people are already super pissed and tons more are on the way!

Posted by VicRattlehead

@ZeroV2: the combat system is their you just have to dig

Posted by Epidehl

Huh, sounds like it's not as far off from the old games as it seemed, what with "The best sort of dumb fun is the kind that knows how dumb it is, and I consistently got the sense from Devil May Cry knew that the entire time I was playing it".

That makes me way more excited about it, since the gameplay seemed great from the demo which was largely the bigger concern going into this reboot. I'm also a total sucker for good mocap, which DMC3 also had.

That said, I still hate this Dante's design but at least it should be a fun game otherwise.

Posted by killacam

@L33tfella_H said:

Edit: Odds on Brad's opinion of the game dropping by the end of the year? Might just be me, but it seems he is super excited for some games during the review process, but afterwards starts finding more and more flaws with them as time goes on.

I think that can be said for anyone in regards to new games, and for a lot of reviewers in general.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

@Video_Game_King: Sorry king, but the combat in El Shaddai is bad but You are free to disagree.

Edited by rmanthorp

FUCKING-A! Way to go Shoemaker. I have played though this game 3 times now and it is straight up fucking awesome!

Let's GO! I'm so happy that you could look past all the bullshit hate thrown up against this game. I can't wait for DmC chat on the bombcast!

Posted by iceveiled

Hmm...game seems to be getting so pretty positive reviews. I'll add it to my to-do-when-price-drops list.

Posted by Overbite

I still think its fucking hilarious that Donte was designed after that Tameem dude. As for the game itself I'm sure I'd find all this FUCK YOOOOOOOOUUUUU and edginess badass if I was in high school. Does Donte draw pentagrams on his backpack with white-out?