323 Comments
Posted by TaytayMcFly

I went into this game having high hopes because of seeing the beautiful world it was set in and being promised an amazing game. What I got was a dull, unfinished piece of slug. This game has so much potential but it never seemed to quite reach it. I got the impression that half way through developing it the developers just slacked off and were like "eff a good story" and we were left with the bland one we had.

Posted by SmokePants

I'm just going to say it: FILL UP YOUR FUCKING TREASURY! I really can't fathom how anyone could keep going into debt and thinking it was okay to proceed along the main quest. Take some time to build up your wealth and DONATE that shit. 6.5 million will cover the tab, which is not so coincidentally the amount that it takes for the treasury to look full and reach the ceiling.

Sure, they could have been more consistent with the passage of time, but take some responsibility for screwing up your kingdom. They provided a treasury mechanic and told you what would happen if the military wasn't well-funded. Don't act surprised when there are consequences for ignoring it.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

Just beat the game, and I have to say that if you know what you're doing, the end-game isn't bad, and it isn't hard to achieve the good end-game, all you really need to do is take the time to dawdle and amass sufficient money. 

Trouble is, if you don't know when to stop, I can see it being really easy to just keep going onward, and into the bad ending Brad got. And really, the only way to know when to stop is to look it up on the internet (which I did), and that itself it pretty bad game design. It didn't ruin the game for me like it did for Brad (because again, I got the good ending), but it is a pretty big flaw, especially when Fable II was always very clear about every instance in which you needed to finish up side quests before they would be made unachievable. 

Posted by SmokePants

I still have no clue what Brad did to screw his kingdom up. Did he not put money in the treasury? He talks about the issue as if it's unavoidable, like we're all going to know exactly what he's talking about and I just don't.

Posted by Jahandar

I really hope the PC version will be unencumbered by the interface oddities.

Posted by durbans

I am playing through Fable 3 at the moment, and I think that the world they have created makes up (almost!) for the technical issues I've seen already. My main issues are general lag and the loss of the breadcrumb trail, however I did have a 4MB update available when I first started the game, so hopefully they have addressed some of the more major issues already. Here's hoping anyway!

Posted by Eyz

Very nice straight to the point review! Really got me interested in this game despite not having played any Fable before!
It may have some rough spots but the rest makes up for it in my eyes.

Posted by Berserk007

The only real complaint I have about the game is that it feels utterly incomplete. The "final showdown" with an evil force is more of fizzle when it should have been exploding. I really enjoyed the game, but how freaking hard would it be to throw in some big bad guy as a final boss in there and give the player a real challenge at the end. Between the ending and the seemingly random drops in frame rate I would give this a middle of the road rating and 3 out of five.

Posted by c0mb1ne

Both Fable 1 and 2 left me feeling kinda empty after the main quests were finished. Having a ton of little time-wasting minigames were fun at times but unfortunately the game itself ended up feeling like a minigame compilation instead of a complete game.
I may end up picking up this game in hopes that it will redeem the franchise but for some reason I think I'll just end up disappointed again.

Edited by MikeyZeroG
@Marokai said:

" @MikeyZeroG: 

I'll grant you that going from 121 Days Left to 1 Day Left is a startling jump in time that definitely seems to be catching people by surprise (and for good reason) but I would still strongly disagree that there is any sense of urgency. 

I still really enjoyed the game (see my review), but I def think that jump from 120 days (or whatever) to the final day was a weird and unfortunate decision. It's another element that points to the possibility that the game was rushed out the door. What is the point of displaying the # of days left if the incremental jumps are so unpredictable? 

While I was only mildly disappointed, I can see how someone who is more of a completionist would be super pissed, which may be why the game scored so low on GB.
Posted by Marokai
@MikeyZeroG: 

I'll grant you that going from 121 Days Left to 1 Day Left is a startling jump in time that definitely seems to be catching people by surprise (and for good reason) but I would still strongly disagree that there is any sense of urgency. I think people who want to save the maximum amount of people are probably the type of time-consuming people (like myself) that will try to take time and get everything in order first. You would only get that horrible worst-case scenario ending, as far as I know, as long as you had put next to nothing in the coffers of Albion. So I can't blame the game entirely for that lack of prep. The game should've given warning, but the player should've also prepared much more by that point anyway. It's certainly a downside to the game, I just don't think it's the entire mood-changing gameplay-shifting sense of urgency that Brad implies it is, since you can stop doing quests as King whenever you want to and take all the time you need before you move on with the calender. If you just went off Brad's review, you'd think you were rushed through the entire ending without any chance to stop, which is only partially true.
Posted by ashton

Fucking disappointment, and a step backwards in the series. Paaasssss!

Posted by MikeyZeroG
@Marokai said:
These aren't spoilerish comments IMO, but here's the general idea of where the ending is ramping up to: After you become King, there's basically a Big Bad Ancient Evil that's preparing to attack Albion. The game gives you one year to prepare the Kingdom, and to save everyone, you need to fill the treasury to max and make good choices to boost the Kingdom's defenses. Toward the end of the year, the game lurches forward in a point of no return, where you can't go back and you are instantly moved into the fight with the Big Bads. 

But there's the thing: The game does this constantly up until that point of no return. It doesn't move forward in individual days. It is constantly moving forward in large numbers of days at a time, (for example, you start out with 365 days, and then after you complete your first list of objectives as King, you're suddenly at 330-something days left) so it shouldn't be entirely unexpected that you wouldn't end up with a "One Day Left" option.  

Here's the biggest thing though: Brad's comment that the game "introduces more urgency into the Fable experience than I'm comfortable with" is total nonsense. You are able to halt the timer at any time at all by simply not moving forward with your Kingly objectives and going off doing whatever you want, like, you know, sidequesting, and chatting, and collecting the keys and gnomes, etc. In other words, it's exactly like the rest of the game before that point. There is no major shift in the gameplay at all aside from getting a "to-do" list that you can do at any time you want.  It's sounds, to me, like Brad either didn't know this, or expected the game to hold his hand up until the ending giving him warning after warning after warning, and when he ended up in the final battle, his Albion was almost entirely demolished, and him being pissed off just bled into his review score. But on a blame scale of who's fault that could be, it's 80/20 Brad. Sorry, but in a game that gives you ample time and warning to prepare your Kingdom, and the full ability to go wherever you want (yes, even if Brad says there's "urgency") it's not Fable's fault that you were intending on waiting up until the last second, and got a bad ending.  I wouldn't give this game a 5 star score myself. But difficulty (the apparent difficulty of Rhythm Heaven being a bitch at times didn't stop Jeff from giving it a 5 star review) and the possibility of gamer fuck-ups shouldn't get in the way of a game's greatness if you're writing a serious review.   Just my final 2cents. "
Those are pretty spoiler-ish comments in my opinion. Regardless, I have to disagree with what you're saying about the game giving you ample warning. As you said, it jumps about 20 days when you complete your first objective. Do the next mission, and the # of days jumps again by a completely different number. The increments aren't predictable AT ALL. The last time I saw the # of days displayed, it was something like 160, which made me think I had more time. I did one more mission and it was like "OK, the time has expired and the climatic events are at hand."  

Is it not reasonable to assume you have time left if the # of days is over 100?  I had read Brad's review before playing and still ended up in a similar situation as him.
Edited by PhatSeeJay

The only thing that bothered me about Fable 3 was that they didn't link the back button to the map so I wouldn't have to run to the map every damn time I was trying to find a barber shop or some place I needed a bit better guidance to than a breadcrumb trail that I can't even set a custom travel marker to follow. The sanctum was good enough as it was to me, the only thing they should have thought of a bit more was the map. Especially when the Back-button doesn't even have a function bound to it at all! The whole "remove as much interface as possible"-thing does get heavily hindered when I have to walk through a physical interface two or three times to orient myself in an area I feel lost in.

Posted by nochtis

This game is politically charged; if you don't like subtle propaganda and/or other people telling you what's "good" and what's "evil" then avoid this game. 

One example is child labor; lots of people look down on it, but honestly, I grew up poor, and more income is the difference between a meal or going hungry. However, in the game, child labor is unequivocally evil. Corporations are also all portrayed as greedy and exploitive, and some environmental references exist too. 

Now, most of this is what I'd call a classically liberal viewpoint. If you're the kind of person that loves The Daily Show, voted Obama, and supports Greenpeace or something, then this is probably not an issue. However, if you actually question some of these "common knowledge" viewpoints, you might have a hard time swallowing the fact that a game is going to label you 'evil' ESPECIALLY when said game has been lauded for a lack of ignorance when it comes to other issues such as homosexuality.

Posted by kollay
@RiotBananas said:
" @uskomaton said:
" I got one question, where the fuck are the video reviews? I mean, yeah, Halo 4... Reach gets one, but why are they only done for these "big" games alone, I mean, Fable 3 is supposedly a big game considering the success of Fable 2. Why no video review?  Yes, I'm fucking lazy, but this site was supposed to be about VIDEOS, so where the fuck are the reviews? I don't care about quick looks, they are not the same as review and seem to be getting way too god damn long these days.  I want a short 5-10min review rather than 45min quick look that tells me nothing of the over all quality. Yes, some might say it tells you what the game is about, but most times it's just people dying and playing the game in a horrible way that really doesn't show you much of the actual game.  (disclaimer, I'm drinking whisky right now.) "
Disclaimer: Pretending to be drinking on the internet doesn't make you cool. "
SUPER COMBO FINISH!
Posted by Plipster

Been playing it for quite some hours now and I've had no bug issue, found nothing wrong at all with the new way the UI works and overall is pretty excellent.  

So, erm, are all the people that said they were excited but are now giving it a miss because of this one review going to decide to be excited about this game again now?

Edited by nail1080
@Marokai said:

" I just wanted to follow up on my previous comments here about my playing the game. But here's the thing: I still don't know where Brad's beef with this game is. I have my own complaints about the game, but none about how the ending is going so far.

These aren't spoilerish comments IMO, but here's the general idea of where the ending is ramping up to: After you become King, there's basically a Big Bad Ancient Evil that's preparing to attack Albion. The game gives you one year to prepare the Kingdom, and to save everyone, you need to fill the treasury to max and make good choices to boost the Kingdom's defenses. Toward the end of the year, the game lurches forward in a point of no return, where you can't go back and you are instantly moved into the fight with the Big Bads. 

But there's the thing: The game does this constantly up until that point of no return. It doesn't move forward in individual days. It is constantly moving forward in large numbers of days at a time, (for example, you start out with 365 days, and then after you complete your first list of objectives as King, you're suddenly at 330-something days left) so it shouldn't be entirely unexpected that you wouldn't end up with a "One Day Left" option.  

Here's the biggest thing though: Brad's comment that the game "introduces more urgency into the Fable experience than I'm comfortable with" is total nonsense. You are able to halt the timer at any time at all by simply not moving forward with your Kingly objectives and going off doing whatever you want, like, you know, sidequesting, and chatting, and collecting the keys and gnomes, etc. In other words, it's exactly like the rest of the game before that point. There is no major shift in the gameplay at all aside from getting a "to-do" list that you can do at any time you want.  It's sounds, to me, like Brad either didn't know this, or expected the game to hold his hand up until the ending giving him warning after warning after warning, and when he ended up in the final battle, his Albion was almost entirely demolished, and him being pissed off just bled into his review score. But on a blame scale of who's fault that could be, it's 80/20 Brad. Sorry, but in a game that gives you ample time and warning to prepare your Kingdom, and the full ability to go wherever you want (yes, even if Brad says there's "urgency") it's not Fable's fault that you were intending on waiting up until the last second, and got a bad ending.  I wouldn't give this game a 5 star score myself. But difficulty (the apparent difficulty of Rhythm Heaven being a bitch at times didn't stop Jeff from giving it a 5 star review) and the possibility of gamer fuck-ups shouldn't get in the way of a game's greatness if you're writing a serious review.   Just my final 2cents. "

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST it's 2010 and people are still crying about review scores on the internet?!!!

It's Brad's review, its Brads opinion. It may be completely fucking wrong, but if you ever watched Brad before you'll realise he doesn't know what the fuck is going on most of the time anyway. So of course he's going to completely botch a few reviews here and there. But who really gives a fuck anyway, it's all his work, he gets paid for it, and if you want to try and change peoples minds on games maybe you should become a professional game reviewer
Posted by Marokai

I just wanted to follow up on my previous comments here about my playing the game. But here's the thing: I still don't know where Brad's beef with this game is. I have my own complaints about the game, but none about how the ending is going so far.

Here's the biggest thing though: Brad's comment that the game "introduces more urgency into the Fable experience than I'm comfortable with" is total nonsense. You are able to halt the timer at any time at all by simply not moving forward with your Kingly objectives and going off doing whatever you want, like, you know, sidequesting, and chatting, and collecting the keys and gnomes, etc. In other words, it's exactly like the rest of the game before that point. There is no major shift in the gameplay at all aside from getting a "to-do" list that you can do at any time you want.

It's sounds, to me, like Brad either didn't know this, or expected the game to hold his hand up until the ending giving him warning after warning after warning, and when he ended up in the final battle, his Albion was almost entirely demolished, and him being pissed off just bled into his review score. But on a blame scale of who's fault that could be, it's 80/20 Brad. Sorry, but in a game that gives you ample time and warning to prepare your Kingdom, and the full ability to go wherever you want (yes, even if Brad says there's "urgency") it's not Fable's fault that you were intending on waiting up until the last second, and got a bad ending.

I wouldn't give this game a 5 star score myself. But difficulty (the apparent difficulty of Rhythm Heaven being a bitch at times didn't stop Jeff from giving it a 5 star review) and the possibility of gamer fuck-ups shouldn't get in the way of a game's greatness if you're writing a serious review. 

Just my final 2cents.

Posted by kratier

still no news on fable 3 for PC ?

Posted by RiotBananas
@uskomaton said:
" I got one question, where the fuck are the video reviews? I mean, yeah, Halo 4... Reach gets one, but why are they only done for these "big" games alone, I mean, Fable 3 is supposedly a big game considering the success of Fable 2. Why no video review?  Yes, I'm fucking lazy, but this site was supposed to be about VIDEOS, so where the fuck are the reviews? I don't care about quick looks, they are not the same as review and seem to be getting way too god damn long these days.  I want a short 5-10min review rather than 45min quick look that tells me nothing of the over all quality. Yes, some might say it tells you what the game is about, but most times it's just people dying and playing the game in a horrible way that really doesn't show you much of the actual game.  (disclaimer, I'm drinking whisky right now.) "
Disclaimer: Pretending to be drinking on the internet doesn't make you cool.
Edited by uskomaton

I got one question, where the fuck are the video reviews?
I mean, yeah, Halo 4... Reach gets one, but why are they only done for these "big" games alone, I mean, Fable 3 is supposedly a big game considering the success of Fable 2. Why no video review?

Yes, I'm fucking lazy, but this site was supposed to be about VIDEOS, so where the fuck are the reviews? I don't care about quick looks, they are not the same as review and seem to be getting way too god damn long these days.

I want a short 5-10min review rather than 45min quick look that tells me nothing of the over all quality. Yes, some might say it tells you what the game is about, but most times it's just people dying and playing the game in a horrible way that really doesn't show you much of the actual game.

(disclaimer, I'm drinking whisky right now.)

Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis

I would like to file a formal appeal to this review, Braderick.

Posted by FokisMoney

I understand brad didnt want to give spoilers but why did they not touch at all on the kingdom ruling aspect of the game? I got the feelings that later end game bit he kept refering to on the podcast but wouldnt come out and say, and i dont know why. It has been a secret since it was a toted feature in the previews and interviews, so why no mention? Im curious cause that was the aspect i was most excited about and seemed like the biggest freshest addition.

Posted by TheWiFiJedi

Good review

Posted by computerandy9

I couldn't agree more with Brad, with how bad the end of the game is. Without warning I am unable to finish what I wanted to acheive and I also feel like I don't want to visit that world again. Start a new game I guess.

Posted by TheHakku

I like to walk more when I want to instantly change my clothing or save my game.

Posted by TheCheese33

Reading these comments is always an exercise in tolerance. Look, you shouldn't hate because it didn't get the score you thought it deserved, and his opinion isn't the word of God, either. People will have different experiences with different games. If they didn't, you would only need one publication to tell you what to think of a game. 

Posted by fisk0
@burjeffton said:
" wow... this game isn't THAT bad, is it? "
it's got 3/5, 10 years ago that used to be a good score. It's usually an above average game that's worth playing unless you've got other stuff to do.
Posted by cassus

I'm getting this no matter what, to be honest. Always loved Peter's games, no matter what people say, the dude likes to do things his way, and that creates both quirk and greatness. Rather have some quirk with my greatness than some same-old with my tried & tested.

Posted by CouncilSpectre

I've played this for the better part of a day and I completely agree with Brad's review.  I would rather have had all the same menu options from the last game than the bizzare systems they put in this one.  

3/5 is spot on.

Posted by burjeffton--defunct

wow... this game isn't THAT bad, is it?

Posted by Gorikka
@CowsWithGuns: Don't let 3/5 stand in the way of your enjoyment. Give it a shot--so far it's easily a 4/5 game for me (but I've only played a few hours).
Posted by Fastshot
@m0nty:  I agree I think 3 stars is average. Average isnt bad and the game seems to be making it self too basic
Posted by m0nty
@Marokai said:
" @wsowen02 said:
" @m0nty said:
" @zarice said:
" nice giantbomb 2nd lowest review score on metacritic... brad ur wrong babe it shouldve been a 4/5. "
Heaven forbid the man forms his own opinion.   This is what I love about Giant Bomb. Calling it as they see it. Not as how the publisher would like them to see it....  *cough* IGN *cough* "
Word. "
I hardly think all reviews should be the same, but when I saw this review I got very very nervous and took alot of Brad's criticism to heart. I decided to give the game a go, since I love the Fable series, and although I haven't gotten to the end where Brad seems to hate it, I think alot of Brad's complaints have been really silly and nitpicky.   Like I said, not all reviews should be the same. It'd be a horrible world if it did and it's actually interesting that Brad give it a 3/5 because it's garnered alot of discussion,  but maybe Brad was a bit unfair here and let his experience in the last couple hours sour everything else about the game. Not saying it's always so, but if literally every other major reviewer  gives it a higher score, maybe they're seeing something that Brad isn't, here.   Also, it's kinda insulting to suggest that basically everyone aside from GiantBomb is some sort of dishonest corporate shill of a website that can't be trusted.. "
If you have a reasonable time with a game, but the last 2 hours of a 14 hour game sour it I think 3/5 is  a fair score.  

It's still above average. It's important to read his review and take the score as a quick "I can't be bothered to read the review" reference. 

I'm certainly not implying that's what all the mainstream press is like. But let's not forget how Giant Bomb came about in the first place.
Posted by Marokai
@wsowen02 said:
" @m0nty said:
" @zarice said:
" nice giantbomb 2nd lowest review score on metacritic... brad ur wrong babe it shouldve been a 4/5. "
Heaven forbid the man forms his own opinion.   This is what I love about Giant Bomb. Calling it as they see it. Not as how the publisher would like them to see it....  *cough* IGN *cough* "
Word. "
I hardly think all reviews should be the same, but when I saw this review I got very very nervous and took alot of Brad's criticism to heart. I decided to give the game a go, since I love the Fable series, and although I haven't gotten to the end where Brad seems to hate it, I think alot of Brad's complaints have been really silly and nitpicky. 

Like I said, not all reviews should be the same. It'd be a horrible world if it did and it's actually interesting that Brad give it a 3/5 because it's garnered alot of discussion,  but maybe Brad was a bit unfair here and let his experience in the last couple hours sour everything else about the game. Not saying it's always so, but if literally every other major reviewer  gives it a higher score, maybe they're seeing something that Brad isn't, here. 

Also, it's kinda insulting to suggest that basically everyone aside from GiantBomb is some sort of dishonest corporate shill of a website that can't be trusted..
Posted by Deadboy

Oh well ....

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy
@Shaanyboi said:
" @Godlyawesomeguy said:
" I saw the hottest girl picking up the collector's edition of this game. I got a giant nerd boner. "
...good for you? "
I think that's a statement, buddy. 
And yes, it was great.
Posted by RainVillain

I ALWAYS agree with Brad's reviews so it's exciting when he gives something 3 stars that I think is (so far) deserving of 5. I love this game. It's no Red Dead or Mass 2, but probably my third fave this year.

Posted by wsowen02
@m0nty said:
" @zarice said:

Word.
Posted by Shaanyboi
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" I saw the hottest girl picking up the collector's edition of this game. I got a giant nerd boner. "
...good for you?
Posted by nemt

Do female characters still become fat amazons if you increase their physique?
Posted by Philodeliakarta

Well, I can safely say that this review is right along the lines of how I thought Fable III would be. I thought the first was decent, I thought the second was unplayable, and I think I'm just done with this series entirely. I'll stick to more story-rich Bethesda and Bioware productions.

Posted by Hourai

3 stars? Kind of harsh. I've only put about 2 hours into it and I'm already liking it much more than Fable II. Annoying that I have to load the Sanctuary each time I want to look at the map, but everything else is really cool so far. 

Posted by CowsWithGuns

aww man i'm really disappointed. Was really looking forward to it.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

I saw the hottest girl picking up the collector's edition of this game. I got a giant nerd boner.

Posted by Skytylz
@Oginam: I liked both, but the atmosphere is probably what I come for.
Posted by mclakers
@SRanker said:
" @mclakers: Well, you see, Starcraft 2 is a good game. Fable III however is both a technical and mechanical mess. Brad makes a strong effort to explain to you in the review that there is still something nice here to see and experience. Fable 2 was highly over-reviewed. It did not deserve anything more than a 7. I'm glad sites like GiantBomb learned their lesson and reviewed the game properly this time around. The game has obvious flaws and a lot of promises were once again never met. Read the full review before you make such a comment.  "
I just Love it when people can't take a JOKE......HAHAHAHA!
Posted by HadesTimes

So just curious here, Brad is there a way to play after the end of the game; or when you hit the end cutscene, it's over?

Posted by JanitorJaMarcus

Why would they cut back on the RPG elements?  That was the best part of Fable II, even if lighting was WAY too powerful.