323 Comments
Posted by ch3burashka

I haven't read it yet, but the immediate reaction to the score is WTF? Fable 2 was one of MS's biggest games, so it's incredibly surprising that they could fuck up this much. Granted, 3/5 isn't a "bad" game, but it's a "bad" game for their self-proclaimed AAA title. 

Off to read the actual review...

Posted by ghostdog

I still haven't finished Fable 2. Not sure I want to power through this for a frustrating ending.

Great review Brad! It's write ups like these that help me figure out what games get my time.

Posted by PJ
@CashBailey Because its a port of the 360 version and will be the exact same game.
Posted by Stahlbrand

Fable II had a great deal of love and hype directed its way, so I eventually picked it up.  I played through it as a hero and a heel, and garnered ~900 gamerscore in total, but I never really dug the game and afterwards felt no particular desire for a sequel.

From this review I am comfortable saving my cash, this doesn't sound like it addressed any of my problems with Fable 2, while introducing new things that would drive me batty.

Posted by MistaSparkle

I'm sad to say I kind of expected this.

Posted by Enigma777

Expected score is expected... Not sure why anyone is acting surprised by this to be honest.

Posted by mosdl

Just out of curiosity, has GB ever re-reviewed a "broken" game after patches?  Broken launch games being the trend...

Posted by Cramsy

Oh shit 

Posted by Crono

Fable 3, not named for its sequential order, but rather the amount of stars its worth XD

I was hopeful that this would be the Fable game that would make me interested in the series.  Looks like its worse than the last one.

Posted by PeterMolyneux
@Jeust said:
"Now, will Peter Molineux call this game, like the Fable 2, rubbish? I wonder... "

No. This game is revolutionary. The only flaw is that todays technology can't render muh balls in a glorious enough fashion. I am however, working on a ball swinging physics engine based on research from leading experts (me).
Posted by Afroman269

Oh my...

Posted by Diamond
@CashBailey said:
" Why review it on XBOX 360? We know it's gonna suck.  Why not throw us high-end PC owners a bone. "
PC version isn't out and doesn't even have a release date yet.  Plus I'm sure the 360 version is the version GB would have received anyways.
Posted by PeterMolyneux
@OneManX said:
" @MurderByDeath said:
" This does not at all jive with the GameRankings score. Apparently Fable 3 is the greatest game ever made: 

"
You can't give more than 100% "

Tell that to muh balls.
Posted by Generic_Ninja
@AndyPhifer:
Fallout: New Vegas Makes me Sad...Dont Do it, Take the 3rd Choice and Get Star Wars :D
Posted by xyzygy

Why are people saying now that this game sucks, just from this one review? Go read some other different ones to see the 9's and 8's it's gotten. It looks to be a fantastic game based on ALL reviews, not just one.

Edited by Brackynews
@PeterMolyneux:  Your balls and I are no longer on speaking terms, sir.

I'm getting a flush sense of Brutal Legenditis from this review. Must read more carefully in the morning.
Still, got me some Fable 2 to finish.. err.. start.
Posted by Det1

BAM. OUT OF NOWHERE. 
Wow. totally forgot that this game was coming out this soon.

Posted by EchoForge

Thanks for the review, Brad. Fable 2 was my GotY in '08, and while I was initially excited about what they were going to do with F3, but became more lukewarm as time went on. Rental then!
Posted by gla55jAw

DAMNNNNNN

Posted by dragonzord
@Depressing_Wizard said:

" @PeterMolyneux said:

" @OneManX said:
" @MurderByDeath said:
" This does not at all jive with the GameRankings score. Apparently Fable 3 is the greatest game ever made: 

"
Tell that to muh balls. "
I get it, it's because balls are funny, right? Right?! Ugh. "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcromflvVEU&feature=related  

UGH 
Posted by zakkro

Hm... I guess I'll just rent the game. 

Also, "... threw the baby out with the bathwater here." is freakin' great. I gotta use that sometime. 

Posted by Ravenousrattler

brads got me worried about  the endgame

Posted by wolf_blitzer85
@Levi said:
" awwwwww man..... "
There still could be hope my friend. If you are waiting for the PC version like I am, let's hope that Microsoft is keeping their promise to start supporting PC gaming a little more (especially Fable III) and open it up a little more on PC.

Perhaps mods could save the day?

Also the review sounds about right. Fantastic engaging gameplay if you can get lost in the world, hampered by shitty UI controls and just shitty controls in general.

If it does end up on Steam (which would be smart on their part because no one would buy it off GFWL) I bet I'll buy it for $17.99 That just seems like the sweet spot for this game.

Rockband 3 go!
Posted by BionicMonster

Fuck you, Molyneux. Always with the hyping and the gloating. then you have to screw it all up by not making it fun. Games aren't supposed to be vehicles that you use to invent the wheel every time you have the budget. Please get with the program or stop making games.

Posted by ajamafalous

Sounds just like Fable 2.

I'll pass.

Posted by Babble

Fable, and games from Lionhead in general, have never received positive reviews from everyone.  

Seems odd to me that people would base their purchasing decisions on one simple review (that is not totally negative by any means). Reviews are opinions and perspectives; Kotaku's review loved the new interface choices, this review didn't, it's not the end of the world!

The Fable series has never been perfect, and I didn't expect this one to be different. 

Posted by Napalm
@xyzygy said:
" Why are people saying now that this game sucks, just from this one review? Go read some other different ones to see the 9's and 8's it's gotten. It looks to be a fantastic game based on ALL reviews, not just one. "
Haha. "Stop reading the review you agree with, and go read the reviews I agree with, and you'll see that my opinion is right!" 

Stop talking.
Posted by Mendelson9
@PeterMolyneux said:
" This review can lick my big glorious liver spotted balls. "

Edited by Babble
@Napalm said:

" @xyzygy said:

" Why are people saying now that this game sucks, just from this one review? Go read some other different ones to see the 9's and 8's it's gotten. It looks to be a fantastic game based on ALL reviews, not just one. "
Haha. "Stop reading the review you agree with, and go read the reviews I agree with, and you'll see that my opinion is right!"  Stop talking. "
More like "don't assume that one review has all the answers you are seeking, rather get perspective by looking at what others have to say" 

One opinion is not superior to multiple, it's called being educated.

You know, the concept of being open-minded? Something that is clearly lacking from your post shown by your final sentence.  

There is no need to be rude. 
Edited by xyzygy
@Napalm said:

" @xyzygy said:

Haha. "Stop reading the review you agree with, and go read the reviews I agree with, and you'll see that my opinion is right!"  Stop talking. "
You're missing the point, and you took what I'm saying the wrong way. 

This is just one review. If you look at the majority of reviews out so far, I think there are about 5 or 6 out, they're pretty much all extremely positive. This one isn't really negative either, it's just kinda meh.  

I'm just saying that the majority of scores so far are giving the game 8 and above. Basing a game on one review is kind of dumb because that is only one persons opinion, which is not your own opinion. Plus, they're getting paid to do this. Their incentive is money. For gamers, it's fun.
Posted by Depressing_Wizard
@zoner said:
" @Depressing_Wizard said:

" @PeterMolyneux said:

" @OneManX said:
" @MurderByDeath said:

"
Tell that to muh balls. "
I get it, it's because balls are funny, right? Right?! Ugh. "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcromflvVEU&feature=related   UGH  "
Ugh, I'm an idiot. I thought it was just some guy trying to get laughs from Giant Bomb's pre-school audience. At least it has relevance. 
Posted by Fjordson

I'm enjoying the game so far (about four hours in), but I can't disagree too much with Brad's review. I'm not hugely disappointed, yet a small part of me is somewhat befuddled at some of the design choices from Lionhead.

Posted by bybeach

Somehow the Fable series is one that escapes me. Partially it is what I have heard of this Molyneux individual. It just always sounds like smoke and sparks, but hardly any fire. I guess I'm wrong though, I'm just not exposed to this developer's work. Well except something about his balls, but I don't want that exposure or even understand the references... 

Posted by Napalm
@xyzygy said:
" Their incentive is money. For gamers, it's fun. "
Way to take a big, steamy shit all over Giant Bomb's credibility, all the while contradicting yourself. "Go read all of the reviews for the game and see the noteworthy and deserved praise, but their incentive is money!" Lolwut.
Posted by xyzygy
@Babble: Thanks, you said what I meant except WAY better :D
Posted by Slayne

Thanks for the review - it sounds like an odd mix of what I loved about Fable 2 and hated about Fable 1 (pre-expac).  Interesting.

Posted by Jolt92

Great review Brad. 

This basically sounds like Fable 2 but... worse. I fucking hated that game at the end. Fuck Fable.

Give me Black & White 3, I liked both those. Or maybe like.. oh I don't know video game industry, something NEW.

Posted by TadThuggish

Oh sick burn dude, I guess this game is total fucking shit!!!

Posted by MadaRenrut

So many factors in weighing if I should take this review seriously or not.

Posted by xyzygy
@Napalm said:
" @xyzygy said:
" Their incentive is money. For gamers, it's fun. "
Way to take a big, steamy shit all over Giant Bomb's credibility, all the while contradicting yourself. "Go read all of the reviews for the game and see the noteworthy and deserved praise, but their incentive is money!" Lolwut. "
Do you honestly have some sort of rod, or device stuck up your ass that you have to be such a twit? I can't change the way the world works. Of course there are critics out there judging the work of others, and get paid for it. I know that. I don't agree with it, but because I make a comment about it on a fucking video game forum doesn't mean I'm trying to change that. 

I'm just saying, for those of you who are interested in this game, look at some other reviews because they are all very positive. At the same time, insinuating my hate for the whole reviewing process and result. 

I'm still getting this game regardless of any review. So you can have fun being a critical ass and having no games to play because nothing is up to your standard.
Posted by Nalktest

Derp only 3 stars? Not buying it then. *Refuses to read any other reviews* Game sucks bro.

Fuck you people sometimes.

Posted by Babble
@xyzygy said:
" @Babble: Thanks, you said what I meant except WAY better :D "
No problem, I couldn't imagine writing a game off because of one semi-negative review. I know for sure I would have missed out on a lot of games I have loved. 

The fact that the Kotaku review can say it loves the new interface and Brad can say he dislikes it is proof enough: reviews are opinions! You gotta put it in perspective!
Posted by Claude

Pacing at the end of the game is a big seller for me. Curious though, I started thinking this wasn't a must buy. I loved Fable 2, but when I was done, it was over. DLC couldn't bring me back. 

I'll check out some other reviews and think about it, but I feel other games need my attention.

Posted by bartok

It seems like console games shipping with bugs happened so gradually that we never had a chance to really bitch about them before they became common practice.   I liked when buggy unfinished games was strictly a PC problem.

Posted by LiquidPrince

Seems kind of low. Expected a 4 at least. But whatever.

Posted by TheJudge

Hmm .. been looking forward to this game. But some of the bugs mentioned have me worried.

Posted by TheHT

holy shit this game's out?!

Posted by FrostyHerpiez
@bgbball31:  they patched fallout new vegas the other day i think, and iv gone through almost all of the game and haven't had any lock ups or anything. I saw 1 minor glitch in which a dog was kinda half in the ground, nothing game breaking though
Posted by Oginam

Never thought Fable 1 or 2 were more than 3/5 (kinda 7/10-ish) games. So my expectations haven't changed much.

That being said I liked 2 for its atmosphere and wit, not so much for its game play. Did anyone like those games for their game play over their writing/story? That would just blow my mind.