323 Comments
Edited by Death_Burnout
@Styl3s:

well it is your fault for falling for it that many times. When i think of a sequel to Fable, i know exactly what to expect. I dont build my hopes up or listen to hype, and with both Fables i was pleasantly surprised when i played them
Posted by Death_Burnout
@EgoCheck616: Well i can gladly say i do not feel this way, i enjoyed both Fable I and II tremendously. Hell i dont remember any complaints around Fable II's launch, but thats because i dont go looking for them.
Posted by Vorbis

Fable II was great but the worst issue was the interface, to hear it hasn't been improved is a bummer.

Posted by Jayross

After reading the review, it doesn't sound like a 3 star game...

Posted by yevinorion

While I do appreciate reviews, people tend to forget that at the end of the day it's an assessment of a product that by it's nature cannot be wholly objective. Every reviewer has their particular likes and dislikes. I don't think a 3/5 is a bad review at all. Sure it's not what I was hoping it would get, but maybe seeing Fable III get rated lower than Fable II across the board will light the fire under Lionhead's arse to do an even better job next time. 

Still, having said that, it seems to me like if you're already a fan of the Fable series you'll be quite happy with what you've got in Fable III. If you're not a fan then this probably isn't going to sway your opinion. Seems reasonable to me. 

And those that still listen to the hyperbole of Molyneux should really know better by now. Fable is a charming, humorous series that tends to have a lot more experimentation in game design than most games, but also it's share of flaws that come with said experimentation.

Posted by AaronChance

Wow, sounds like a wet pile of suck.

Posted by EgoCheck616
@Death_Burnout: Really? Like how Mr. Molyneux kept talking about how fleshed out the coop was? How Fable II was going to "revolutionize" gaming. 

At the end of the day the coop was just as 1/2 assed as the rest of the game. 

BUT.. 
BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN FART
Posted by MeatSim

Glad I choose Fallout New Vegas over this.

Edited by marrec

Nice review, still totally excited about Fable III for all the right reasons it seems. It's going to be such a pallet cleanser after 30 solid minutes of dying in SMB. 

Though I am dissapointed that the menu system wasn't improved at least it seems they've tried something besides the same boring old menus. I like the paired down interface ideas, but I suppose I'll have to see how it plays...  

Damn you Molyneux I'm such a sucker for your fancy Brittish talk! 

Edit: Also I love how personal this review is, I may rate the game higher in the end, but only because Fable pulls all my strings in the right way. Enough so that I can have these little blind spots for the poor interface and at times lackluster motivation in the story.

Posted by Death_Burnout
@EgoCheck616: Well i couldnt care less about the co-op so...

If you believe Molyneux when he says it's going to "revolutionize" gaming then you're an idiot. Molyneux is a ridiculous man and i love him for it, however, i dont take his word seriously when he says things like that, nor do i believe him, i guess i'm realisitc like that.
Posted by MagusMaleficus

The butt-hurt wrought by 3/5 star reviews never ceases to amaze me. Keep the douche-baggery going, ye fools. 

Posted by sins_of_mosin

Its only rough around the edges for people who are too lazy to learn how to do something on their own.  Crap review.

Posted by Jackel2072

well i can see this review is going over well...

Edited by Kartana

No Protos in it hence the 3 stars!

Posted by EgoCheck616
@Death_Burnout: I appreciate your ability to spin someone else's bullshit and use it as a way to call me names. 
Like a true troll.
Posted by KaiUnderneath

SO disappointing. 
God damn you Lionhead...These are some pretty stupid choices.

Posted by JerichoBlyth

Fable III out of V

Posted by marrec

What's the point in having a 5 point scale if people are going to think that actually using the entire 5 points of the scale is somehow a controversial decision? 

Also, when did 3 out of 5 become a bad game?

Posted by gadget

I find it sad the amount of people in these comments unable to think on their own and rely solely on one semi negative review.  Me on the other hand, will be getting this game after work today and judging the game by my own experience rather than solely the words of others.   

Very good review though!  I'm more so excited with the amazing cast involved in this game.  John Cleese and Stephen Fry just to name a couple!   This game does sound more complicated than the last which is good, as I loved Fable 2 (Fable 1 is still on my to do list).  Fable 2 I found very easy to go through though at the same time humorous and an all around fun game to play.  I look forward to 3!

Posted by coolvee

@blank, You think blank! Whereas I think blank! 

Blank blank your mother! 

Blank game deserves more/less blank!

Posted by nickux

Very surprised by the rating but overall a very well-done review. It's a bummer to see a game's interface be the cause of so many issues. Feels like that's a thing which could have been so easily fixed.

Posted by ghostNPC

Fantastically indepth review Brad! :D

Posted by Connelo

This review bummed me out about the game but after reading some more reviews it seems that most are giving it 4/5 ish scores. Still going to pick this up when it comes out here in the UK. (UK gets a British made game after America AND Japan. What the blue canadians)

Posted by marrec
@gadget said:
" I find it sad the amount of people in these comments unable to think on their own and rely solely on one semi negative review.  Me on the other hand, will be getting this game after work today and judging the game by my own experience rather than solely the words of others.    Very good review though!  I'm more so excited with the amazing cast involved in this game.  John Cleese and Stephen Fry just to name a couple!   This game does sound more complicated than the last which is good, as I loved Fable 2 (Fable 1 is still on my to do list).  Fable 2 I found very easy to go through though at the same time humorous and an all around fun game to play.  I look forward to 3! "
I could listen to them narrate a Twilight novel and would probably love it... 
Posted by ZeroCast
@EgoCheck616 said:

" @Death_Burnout: Really? Like how Mr. Molyneux kept talking about how fleshed out the coop was? How Fable II was going to "revolutionize" gaming.  At the end of the day the coop was just as 1/2 assed as the rest of the game.  BUT.. BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN FART "

Mr.Peter is the one responsible for the words he spouts. You and I however are either going to enjoy his games or not.
Posted by VarkhanMB
@EgoCheck616: I, for one, support your point about the Fable II co-op and I'm pretty sure we'd agree on a lot of other issues. 

Now about Fable III, I'm pretty sure Brad's review is spot-on, and it's those kind of decisions that reinforce my own decision to not play this game...
Posted by spankingaddict

Not too surprising. 

They should start on a fresh, new franchise...

Posted by gadget
@marrec: probably the only reason I downloaded the Harry Potter audio book.  Love me some Stephen Fry <3 - I can recognize his voice anywhere now lol
Posted by Death_Burnout
@EgoCheck616: The amount of offense you are taking says it all my friend.
Posted by PixelRyan

That sucks Brad started the ending sequence too early, I wonder if the average gamer playing it after it comes out and people are talking about it online will have that problem, is there a way to do all the side quests first? One buggy enemy in the floor situation is usually forgivable but if that is your only way to load from 20 hours of playing that is almost Dead Rising 1 bad. Does Dpad up really not do anything else? i could understand if it was context sensitive so you could do more stuff but if its just for the map and disabled that's lame. I'll probably still get the game because I liked Fable 2.

Posted by gadget
Posted by slyely

I've always liked this series, but looks like they still have not changed the way they do the end. Autosave + point of no return = sucks. I was really disappointed because of that at the end of fable 2 (I'm sorry I'm just not going to play this game 3-4 times to see each ending from the choices), looks like it may be no different this time.

Posted by DoctorWelch

Wow, that whole interface thing sounds completely retarded.

Posted by Pop

can't you have 2 saves?

Posted by Simulacrum

Still buying the hell out of this after new vegas,

Posted by TorMasturba

Still getting it, but it sucks that Brad didn't enjoy it...

Posted by Jimbo

Closing out a game in a satisfactory manner still seems to be the hardest thing to accomplish in game design (even more so than comedy).  

A weak ending and interface issues are a surefire way to undermine an otherwise solid game and sour the whole experience.  Now a weak ending isn't surprising at all (and especially in this franchise), but the interface issues (if they're as annoying as Brad says) just sound dumb and unforced - there's only so much streamlining you can do before you're removing vital functionality.

Buying this one out of curiosity more than anything.

Posted by Undeadpool
@marrec said:
" What's the point in having a 5 point scale if people are going to think that actually using the entire 5 points of the scale is somehow a controversial decision?  Also, when did 3 out of 5 become a bad game? "
When people began feeling that they were somehow being attacked by the staff's reviews. 

I've personally never gotten the Fable series. Maybe it's because it's always been marketed (at least in the States) as completely serious when it clearly isn't, but it's a series that's just never clicked for me. That said, I might rent this cause the midpoint shift actually sounds kind of interesting.
Posted by nick_verissimo

These are all of the problems I had with Fable 2, but I still really enjoyed it.  Then again, I bought Fable 2 on sale and I'm probably going to do same thing with this one.

Posted by Curious_George

Now, in order to change your clothing or weapons, or look at the map, or check your quest log--to do anything managerial at all, really--your character has to bodily teleport to a small hub level and then physically run up to the wall in your armory to change your weapons out, or over to the map table to view the world map.  

That seriously sounds like one of the worst design decisions ever.  I kind of liked Fable 2, but if inventory management is that cumbersome in 3 I will definitely be passing on this game.  What were they thinking?    
Posted by Swinghi

What?  No Quick Look?  I want to see the brokenness  

Posted by Brad
@Swinghi said:
" What?  No Quick Look?  I want to see the brokenness   "
Quick Look is coming later today, stay tuned.
Staff
Posted by Seram

Oh Molyneux, silly silly Molyneux.

Posted by Hexogen

I think I'm gonna give them a few months to patch the technical issues and then I'll pick it up. It's a bit of a bummer to see that the user interface has taken a turn for the worse, but as long as the core gameplay is still intact I can probably look past those problems.

Posted by mclakers

since its not starcraft, Brad will auto default to 3/5

Posted by MetalGearSunny

Whoa....really!? Huh...I'll still give it a rent.

Posted by BigChief

Still thinking about trying it, there's a lot here that sounds neat, from the great voice actors to the pseudo steampunk style and clothing options. However, I might wait a bit, I dunno.

Edited by flushpockets

I fell for the hype and empty promises of both Fable 1 and 2.  Not gonna fall for them again.  I think George W. Bush said it best-  
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again. "

Posted by wickedsc3

Good review, im going to pick this up tonight after work.  I was just kind of curious as to the rating it got (im not saying that is should be higher as i have not played the game yet) because it really surprised me.  I mean jeff was talking about how Fallout New Vegas locked up on him like 10-12 times but yet that game got a 4, so is this game really worse that that? 

Posted by ez123
@mclakers said:
" since its not starcraft, Brad will auto default to 3/5 "
What a dumb comment... 

everyone knows Brad's default is 4.