75 Comments
  • 75 results
Posted by jd18b

That's too bad....was looking forward to this one. I might pick it up if they ever have it on sale.

Posted by Rekt_Hed

Really wish this title could of had a solid backing from its inception but this is what you get when a title changes hands to many times :/
Such a shame

Posted by SCHULTZ

Spot on review.

Had really high hopes starting out. By the time I was making my way back to the Mall after the skyscraper section, my patience had worn out.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see the developer patch this game to allow infinite retries in the level, or get rid of the diminishing permanent stamina mechanic.

Posted by Phatmac

Yeah pretty much what I expected.

Posted by UnsolvedParadox

I was so excited when the first trailer came out, the reviews skew so differently for this game...think I'll wait and see before potentially picking it up.

Posted by jozzy

@UKSamwise said:

From what I played of the trial I really liked the opening to the game. It really immersed me into the world and set the atmosphere. It's a shame to see so that it doesn't execute well with it's game mechanics :(

If you liked the trial I bet you will really enjoy the rest of the game. Remember this is only one opinion, this game got some really positive reviews too.

Posted by SirDancelot

@TheShrubber: Just be prepared for tower defense in I Am Alive Revelations.

Also your comment made me lol.

Posted by Eyz

Called it!

Since they announced the project was being moved from an AAA-title similar to Assassin's Creed, multi console and on disc/retail stores to digital only.

Dayum... I wish'd it had turned better than that... I liked the concept/premise...

Posted by BonOrbitz

Judging from the Quick Look, the score is dead on. What a disappointment.

Posted by Klei

@Undeadpool

You've got to understand that not everyone can write troll reviews and have credibility. You say that like if it was common, but in reality, it's one in a hundred. Do you think Sterling gets sympathy from people when he bitch-slap a game? No, he doesn't. And for the other dude who calls me a troll, well, whatever bro.

Posted by Legxend

I really enjoyed the game, sure it has flaws but they can be easily over looked.

Posted by Xpgamer7

It's cool but broken. They more had great ideas but when thinking about implementation did it so game like it ruined it. Developmentally I was already worried as it was downloadable.

Posted by honkyjesus

I played this trial last night? What was that?

I forgot that this was a Jade Raymond project, and it shows. The pointing a gun at people until they fall into a canyon, the silly stamina stuff, not to mention I am tired of playing cancelled games that end up on Arcade for fifteen bucks. Have some humility and just make it ten, it seems so petty.

Posted by foggel

What? I loved it.

Posted by Kingfalcon

@Undeadpool said:

@Klei said:

@Ruggington:

It doesn't change what I've brought up. Brad fucks up over and over and gets irritated at anything that poses him trouble. It's been like that since... huh, forever. Saying I Am Alive is shit is a lot easier, since it got mitigated reviews. Saying Super Meat Boy is shit takes a lot more balls, since it's a critically acclaimed titled. What I'm saying is, in the industry of video game reviews, you have to, sometimes, follow the flow more or less if you don't want to burst your credibility.

Oh and by the way, I think Super Meat Boy to be amazing, same with I Am Alive. You do know how Giantbomb hates Dark Souls? Hence why there's nothing on this site about it? Same thing. They preferred NOT to review it instead of slapping it with a 2 out of 5.

So your argument is that he gave a good review to Super Meat Boy and Trials HD is...because he was afraid of what would happen if he didn't?? Yeah, because giving a bad review to a critically acclaimed game wouldn't gin up way more siteviews and comments. Busting his credibility?? For reviewing a game unfavorably? What about people like Armond White or (at times) Jim Sterling? You can make a GREAT career out of ridiculing things that are ultra-popular and ultra-beloved.

Don't feed the troll...

Posted by aceofspudz

@steelknight2000 said:

YO WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER A PETITION TO CHANGE THE ENDING!

"Then the game culminates in one of the hastiest, most ramshackle endings I've seen in ages, resolving almost nothing and leaving at least one all but three major characters pretty much totally unaccounted for and ruining the setting for future games."

Posted by avidwriter

I'm 100% with you on this review. After watching that quick-look I know exactly how you feel.

Posted by Undeadpool

@Klei said:

@Ruggington:

It doesn't change what I've brought up. Brad fucks up over and over and gets irritated at anything that poses him trouble. It's been like that since... huh, forever. Saying I Am Alive is shit is a lot easier, since it got mitigated reviews. Saying Super Meat Boy is shit takes a lot more balls, since it's a critically acclaimed titled. What I'm saying is, in the industry of video game reviews, you have to, sometimes, follow the flow more or less if you don't want to burst your credibility.

Oh and by the way, I think Super Meat Boy to be amazing, same with I Am Alive. You do know how Giantbomb hates Dark Souls? Hence why there's nothing on this site about it? Same thing. They preferred NOT to review it instead of slapping it with a 2 out of 5.

So your argument is that he gave a good review to Super Meat Boy and Trials HD is...because he was afraid of what would happen if he didn't?? Yeah, because giving a bad review to a critically acclaimed game wouldn't gin up way more siteviews and comments. Busting his credibility?? For reviewing a game unfavorably? What about people like Armond White or (at times) Jim Sterling? You can make a GREAT career out of ridiculing things that are ultra-popular and ultra-beloved.

Posted by steelknight2000

YO WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER A PETITION TO CHANGE THE ENDING!

Posted by vinsanityv22

You should play Disaster Report or Raw Danger, Brad. Those games are kinda awesome in a lot of ways this one wasn't. Just expect some low-budget Japanese jankiness....but this is Giantbomb, who played through Deadly Premonition TWICE. You'll be fine!

Posted by TheShrubber

I'm looking forward to I Am Alive 2, this time set in Italy and delivering all the promise that I Am Alive 1 had.

Posted by CraigAA1028

I Am Alive is definitely clunky in just about every aspect, but I ended up enjoying my overall time with it.

Posted by TehJedicake

Poop.. =(

Posted by Jackel2072

im going to have to disagree with Brad on this one. where this game is by no means perfect. i had been enjoying its somber atmosphere, and its ideas. i think with a sequel the devs could really hammer out some of the issues the game has. 

but never the less, Thank You Brad for your review.   

Posted by AssInAss

Still going to get the game, because of the goals of the game and wanting something refreshing of a pure survival game.

We need more games to be made about true survival, I hope the Tomb Raider reboot and The Last of Us take notes on the design philosophy of this game, and even execute it better.

Posted by robin_smith

yeah what was up with that ending? and whos the girl watching the tape??

Edited by Klei

@Ruggington:

Posted by Ruggington

@Klei:

Because we all know that Brad hates games that challenge him. That's why Trials HD and Super Meat Boy have such low scores.

Oh wait

Posted by Klei

Brad, come on, by the quicklook you've shown, you had absolutely no fucking clue of what you were doing. You're horrible at about everything that isn't Starcraft 2 or Doom. Of course you're going to two-star this game ; it just beat you.

Posted by jozzy

@KinjiroSSD said:

"... one of the most refreshing games to come along in years. "

-Giantbomb

Very clever!

Edited by KinjiroSSD

"... one of the most refreshing games to come along in years. "

-Giantbomb

Posted by ZmillA

I enjoyed playing the game. I'd go so far as saying I like the game.

Posted by CJduke

I feel like its been a long time since we got to see Brad's back turned in shame picture. This game looked pretty bad.

Posted by dvorak

Going back to finish this game after being fucked over by the check-pointing system took something out of Brad permanently, I'm sure.

Posted by MrKlorox

Good thing Brad never played STALKER when it was new. I still say it takes the cake for the review's subtitle. The difference is that the community remembered what was promised and tried to bridge the gap, fixing it a lot. However even if I Am Alive was moddable to the same extent, it would still be lacking major content.

Posted by Solh0und

I was pretty close to wanting to play this game....until I saw the Quick Look. I guess I'll try to locate Metro 2033 somewhere.

Edited by Antihippy

@PimblyCharles: It looked like he can play the game just fine? If he finished it he probably knows how to play it.

What were your complaints with his playstyle?

Posted by Sander

2 stars ouch. The QL and the demo made it look promising but...

Posted by cstrang

I agree with Brad that the threaten button and the kill button should not have been the same. It's put me into bad situations too many times. I had my arrow disappear on me once, but luckily I had picked up another one from Godknowswhere. I also agree that the game feels only about a third-to-a-half finished. But, I did enjoy most of my time with the game, even if I think the heavy dust system was used to artificially lengthen the experience.

...And this dude can scale pipes and shit like none-other, but somehow it really takes it out of him to climb ladders.

Posted by PimblyCharles

I knew just because Brad doesn't know how to play the game that he'd give this is bad review

Posted by bkbroiler

I really like the climbing aspect of the game. The multiple routes to get to the same place and stamina time limits are really good. Brad's right, though, the combat sucks. It just isn't any fun.

I'm still enjoying the game, though. I'm interested to get to this horrible ending.

Posted by Wii60BigScreenGamer

yeah, the game's sorta incomplete and a lil janky in places, but i have to disagree with brad.... i played through this game and very much enjoyed it. the traversal was enjoyable because it didn't hold your hand in the way that Uncharted or Enslaved does, and that's refreshing in an old school Tomb Raider-y kind of way. having to repeat difficult combat encounters until you get each one right can be a bit frustrating, but it's very rewarding when you get it right, and the difficulty just seemed to make it more of an immersive experience, because i felt genuine fear when encountering a group of aggressive thugs. no, the game's not perfect, sure, it lack polish, and the ending makes it feel unfinished, but i'm grateful for the DLC of this generation, because just a console generation ago, none of us would have been able to experience this game; it wouldn't have been salvaged for an XBLA release, it would have just been scrapped. 1200 microsoft space bucks well spent, IMO.

Posted by Deathpooky

For all the technical faults and gameplay weirdness I was really hoping they'd nail the story in this game. That they didn't just makes the entire game seem kind of pointless.

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

I'll probably still pick this up at some point, I like the look of it. I can deal with clunky controls and an f'd up checkpoint system if I enjoy the atmosphere.

Posted by Moncole

Probably got a low score because what happened to Brad in the QL.

Posted by Beaudacious

It seems this review is complaining about this game being an actual game while trying to deliver survival gameplay instead of being another Heavy Rain. I don't know if its the constant abuse Brad gets from the community about dying, but its fine to die in a game, to screw up, or fail. Being stressed out about just making a wrong turn while platforming due to stamina, about your inventory, enemies, combat seems exactly what a survival game should be.

A $15 XBLM game, with flaws, but a decent execution, with decent ideas gets only complaints. But a game that almost isn't a game, and is $60 gets almost a glowing review for being an episode of Dragon Ball Z with some interactivity. What the hell? Don't tell me price doesn't matter, its the whole point of reviews.

Posted by artgarcrunkle

I'm sure most of his points are valid but after watching his ineptitude in the quick look I can't really trust Brad's review.

Posted by theodacourt

I was really excited by this premise and I've been looking forward to it for years. Perhaps the 'years in the making' has proven its downfall. Such a shame. :-(.

Posted by markgcarter

one thing i'm not sure on in this review is the comment about dropping bullets. The way I understood it, the enemies could fire their bullets and then have their gun empty when they died, in that case, no bullets makes sense (as is the 'empty gun' that pops up when you pick it up).

In fact, in one situation on my playthrough an aggressor didnt have any bullets and despite all his threatening had nothing to fire, much like the player can threaten with 0 bullets but eventually the enemies wise up.

that said, brad's gripes are valid but I think for many people they wont be as detrimental to the experience as they were for him. But hey, that's what the demo is for, right?

• 75 results