132 Comments
  • 132 results
Posted by ExplodeMode

Alex's review avatar is the opposite of machinegunless.

Posted by Shaanyboi

@Gaff said:

@Shaanyboi: To be fair... You could probably pick one up really cheap nowadays.

Yeah... but my contract at work is just about to finish up, I'm moving in with my gf in afew months (and she can't steal her PS3 from her family's house), and I'm going to need to buy furniture, and a cintiq and all this other crap soon too.

Oh well. C'est la vie...

Posted by BBQBram

A game for me then! Stellar review as always, Alex.

Posted by clank543

Liked Flow and Flower just fine, but this looks absolutely awesome. Can't wait to play it!

Posted by toadstule

After all the crappy games that Alex had to review last year, it's nice to see him reviewing a bunch of awesome ones this year.

Posted by Freezer_Burn

How many stars would this be if "Don't Stop Believin" was playing on repeat through the whole game?

Posted by ZmillA

wtf is wrong with sony why do they wait till night to update their store. Very unprofessional.

Posted by MEATBALL

Wanky hyperbole incoming: A real masterpiece. Just incredible. Journey left me absolutely amazed. It's a game that I am supremely thankful to have experienced.

Posted by Bunnyman

Whoa. I hope for a PC release. I trust Alex's amazement.

Posted by Landon

Need to get some money together so I can place this. Been anticipating it since i read the gameinformer article.

Posted by RVonE

Well done on the writing, Alex.

Posted by mbr2

I can't wait for Jeff and Ryan to continue their blind hate because it's not a trv video game. Journey ist krieg!

Posted by GalacticPunt

@Freezer_Burn said:

How many stars would this be if "Don't Stop Believin" was playing on repeat through the whole game?

All of them. Plus eight of of ten Nicolas Cages.

Posted by FoxMulder

Loved Flower, but it doesn't have much re-play value. This looks like something I could play for a long while!

Posted by MisterFaulkner
@dekkadekkadekka

But what does Vinny think?

This
Posted by beard_of_zeus

Will definitely be picking this up tonight when the store updates (seems like it hasn't as of now). Hopefully I can find a nice 2 hour chunk of time this evening to sit down and play through it.

Thanks for the review, Alex. Your love for this game has me even more excited!

Posted by Stubee

Is still rather listen to Jenova Chen talk about online dating than play any of his "games".

Edited by Brackynews

Crapcrapcrap did I forget to buy a points carrrrddd....craaaaaaaaaaap.

@ZmillA said:

wtf is wrong with sony why do they wait till night to update their store. Very unprofessional.

The main goal is simply to update the store before Microsoft updates theirs on Wednesday.

Posted by BoFooQ

yesterday I had said alex was to anger to give anything a five star review, I guess I was wrong again.

sorry alex

Posted by BonzoPongo

Would it be wishful thinking for a PC release?

Has the developer dropped any hints?

Posted by chrismafuchris

Why is the average user score 3.6 when the only scores are a four and a five? I'm not mathmatician, but I don't think that lines up.

Posted by thatdutchguy

i have bought this game a week ago , i like it but its kinda short ..... but very awesome.

Posted by HyperionXR

@BonzoPongo: They have said that they'd like to expand to other platforms, but I believe they said their first jump would be to XBLA. Great game, by the way. Just finished my first play through. Would love to see it come to as many platforms as possible.

Posted by kishinfoulux

Still don't get the love for this game. Seems like the "cool" thing to like or something. You're just running around the desert are you not?

Posted by ImaTreee

@kishinfoulux: i think it's because it's artsy

Edited by RagingLion

Wow-ow. That's quite a review. Sounds like almost everything I would hope the game to be (now I just need a PS3 to play it) - these are the kinds of superlative statements I want to see games producing from reviewers - ones that merit that special regard.

Thee content of the review is really good as well Alex. I feel it well explains why it is special and how it would seem to stand apart from other games. Suggests it will a gaming touchstone for many years to come.

Posted by Foxillusion

All of these words are quite correct! Amazing game.

I didn't think they'd bother telling you who you were playing with but after the credits roll, you get the usernames of the people who you met along the way. They didn't have to do that... I thought it was a really nice touch.

Posted by m2cks

@MisterFaulkner said:

@dekkadekkadekka

But what does Vinny think?

This

He'll bring in a jar of sand and a map, indignantly stating that if he wanted sand and a journey, he'd just go in the desert.

Posted by avidwriter

5 stars? Seriously?

Edited by Spiritof

Without giving much detail, I’ll simply say that there is a single shot at the very end of the game (one that you control) that is an emotionally joyous experience when you come to it on your own. And yet, when I got to that same place with my compatriot, that joy became something transcendental and overwhelming. They say the greatest journeys are those shared with others; this Journey would appear to prove that.

This.

It blew my mind how differently I reacted to this game when there was someone else in it. I kinda want all of my online games to have voiceless multiplayer now, and it helps that it's basically impossible to be a douche to another player.

Journey is a brilliant, brilliant game, and a pretty brilliant review, Alex.

Posted by jasonefmonk

Can't wait to get a hold of this. Great review Alex.

Posted by CilliaBlack

Worth every star. The multiplayer aspect added almost nothing for me at all though, barring a single tense section in the middle. I felt it achieved much more as one life form's solitary trek towards its goal.

Just an incredible game. And yeah, it's a game. There are arguments to be made against Flower being a game, but none at all for Journey.

Posted by M3rlin

Great review! Just played through it in one sitting and loved every second of it!

Posted by siaynoq

Man, you can tell PS3 is so proud of this game it will never be on PC. I'm so, so sad.

Posted by Sticky_Pennies

I'm glad you finally got an awesome game to review, Alex. (:

Posted by Enigma777

Just finished it and couldnt agree more with this. It's like Limbo, but good.

Posted by zFUBARz

I have to agree with everything Alex said, the game is stunning in every regard, by the end I was so emotionally involved I honestly felt like I'd known my companion for a lifetime and was glad to be together to face our future together.

Fuck me sideways I really have no words to describe the game, and any I use would just pale in comparison to experiencing them yourself. Every human being should give journey a shot, if I had to choose between eating for a day and playing the game I would be hard pressed not to pick up the controller.

Posted by gunslingerNZ

Alex, supremely well written review as ever. I look forward to your reviews above all others on the site.

Journey certainly is an amazing game. I'm only about halfway through but I actually felt really bad having to leave my travelling companion to continue on their own, can't say that about a lot of the more involved co-operative games out there.

Posted by gunslingerNZ

@siaynoq said:

Man, you can tell PS3 is so proud of this game it will never be on PC. I'm so, so sad.

Hopefully it does but the 360 would be a better place for it than the PC I think. This game really needs to be played with a controller, a big screen and non-distracting lighting. I don't think you could become as engrossed in it sitting in a desk chair.

Posted by Raven10

I bought a PSN Plus account just to play this game over the weekend and I have to say that it was among the best decisions I have ever made concerning a game purchase. You know a game is good when Alex calls it a masterpiece and I agree with him entirely. One of the best games I have ever played.

Posted by Winternet

You really went for it, Alex. It's probably the longest review here on Giant Bomb. And for one of the shortest games. That's kind of ironic.

Anyway, great review Alex. You really spend some time on this one.

Now, if only this bad boy would come to the PC. Paying 400 bucks for this, seems insane.

Posted by noisyturtle

This feels much more like a game then their previous games. Communicating with chirps and blongs was also a nice way to single your location or convey excitement at something that happened. The fact that you play anonymously, I actually felt closer to the people I was playing with then people whos' gamer tag I can see. Like sharing a mystery. Here's hoping thatgamecompany's next game is multiplatform and builds further upon the innovation and wonder they showed with Journey.

Posted by MachoFantastico

Just bought it so excited to check it out, very much enjoyed Flower.

Posted by Grognard66

Looks good, but I'll wait until it drops to $7.50 as part of a future PS+ promotion. $15 for less than 2 hours of gameplay is not a good value proposition.

Funny how so many people went ballistic when XBLA games gradually increased from $5-10 to $10-15 for 5-10 hour games and are now perfectly fine with $15 for less than 2 hours. I guess we've all been conditioned to accept paying more to get less.

Posted by Addfwyn

@kishinfoulux: No, you're not. The reason people can't really say more is that it'd dull the [fairly significant] impact of playing through totally fresh you're first time. Saying you 'just wander around the desert' isn't particular accurate though.

Edited by Tebbit

For a game that I would be inclined to say nothing more about than "Describing my experience will only be a detriment to your experience, just go and play it", you managed to describe exactly the right parts, without tarnishing the very personal and specific essence that makes Journey such a powerful piece of interactive entertainment.

Boy, that sounded wanky.

Posted by Tidel

My first playthrough was remarkable, but my fifth playthrough was transcendent.

I can appreciate people looking at this game as a '2 hour' experience, but the online -- and all the hidden things -- keeps me coming back again and again. Last night I met another traveler and we had this instant play-chemistry -- we spent the entire game together, and we barely ever touched the ground. We just... flew. It was really beautiful.

Great review, Alex, and great, great game.

Posted by Ceno

Fantastic review, Alex, and right on every single count.

Posted by Aarny91

I need this game.

Posted by kennybaese

I'm excited to play this. I loves flower (I never did get around to flOw) so I'm sure I'll enjoy this as well.

Good review, Alex.

• 132 results