82 Comments
  • 82 results
Posted by Elyk247

Game is just weird. I can appreciate the game, but I had to use a guide on youtube. Most people probably will.

Posted by capfu

absolutely love the game, it's so good in some aspects, that I have to say it's exploration fun is only matched by Super Mario Bros. 3 and that's a HUGE statement, when I have to re-visit my childhood to find a game that reminds me of FEZ.

Posted by SuperSambo

@TheBookNerd said:

Hmm. Only four stars?

Perhaps Jeff was unaware... This is an INDIE GAME. Isn't that worth +1 star??

Who said he hasn't applied such a rule?

Posted by the_red_mage

Damn you Jeff now I have to buy it :D

Posted by Soniking

@ZeroCast: By print, do you mean spend a long time to draw out on graph paper and study for hours until it all made sense then yeah it is totally mind blowing. Because this game is awesome.

Posted by ZeroSurge

Great. I might just buy this game now.

Posted by ZeroCast

@Cirdain said:

@Hardtarget said:

I really wish this was coming out for PC, I'd love to play the game but I'm not sure how I feel about the bogdown during the zoom/loading and if it came out on PC there would just be no issues like this. Such a shame.

@wisdumcube said:

This needs to be on the PC.

@ZeroCast said:

I will buy this day one if it comes to PC. I love mind puzzling games such as Braid and Limbo and this is no exception.

It is coming to PC. Just at a later date.

Not trying to disapprove you or anything but any source/link from the creator about where he said that?

Posted by TheBookNerd

Hmm. Only four stars?

Perhaps Jeff was unaware... This is an INDIE GAME. Isn't that worth +1 star??

Posted by Enigma_2099

Sounds like a good game, but it has that one nagging flaw that just keeps me from giving it a chance.... you remember what it was, don't you?

Posted by Hardtarget

@Cirdain: my understanding is that this has never been stated by phil fish and the official fez twitter said xbla only so....

Posted by Cirdain

@Hardtarget said:

I really wish this was coming out for PC, I'd love to play the game but I'm not sure how I feel about the bogdown during the zoom/loading and if it came out on PC there would just be no issues like this. Such a shame.

@wisdumcube said:

@ZeroCast said:

I will buy this day one if it comes to PC. I love mind puzzling games such as Braid and Limbo and this is no exception.

Posted by Cirdain

@Hardtarget said:

Posted by MEATBALL

Thought it was an awesome way to spend this past weekend.

Posted by dvorak

This game is bizarre and beautiful, and I still think Phil Poisson is an asshole, but he made quite a game.

Posted by BisonHero

@rebgav said:

I really like everything about this game except actually playing it.

I just hope that The Witness delivers a more cohesive and fun gameplay experience than this particular indie puzzler.

I don't think I can imagine The Witness turning out to be a fun gameplay experience. I can certainly imagine it being a good game that delivers an interesting experience, but a lot of the preview articles I've read make it sound like Myst but with weird puzzle terminals and presumably some kind of mindbending story.

Even if you're the kind of person who is disdainful of intellectual games (personally, I hate those people), Braid at least offered the novelty of the time mechanic. The Witness sounds like it's even further towards being a pretty intellectual, methodical game, with even less key elements that are fun to mess around with.

Maybe this is an issue of semantics, but it strikes me as the sort of puzzle/adventure game that ends up being engaging and satisfying, but "fun" isn't really the word.

Posted by ZeroCast

@Soniking said:

Fezalese

I totally did bust out the graph paper. Made me feel like I was playing Link's Awakening again.

Wait, you actually had to print those weird signs to solve a puzzle in the game?

That's just...mind blowing!

Posted by Soniking
Fezalese

I totally did bust out the graph paper. Made me feel like I was playing Link's Awakening again.

Posted by Tesla

FEZ is definitely one of those games to play entirely without help, or information of any kind, from the internet. I can't wait to buy the soundtrack too when that comes out.

Posted by Slixshot

This game is amazing. I highly recommend it.

Posted by ZeroCast

Posted by wisdumcube

Edited by Brackynews

@drowsap: @FlemmingM: Yes. All the wobbly first-person gifs Polytron released are in the image gallery. :D

@rmanthorp: That seems like a comment I'd read on a Mass Effect 3 review, not an indie darling. What interesting times we live in! ;)

@dbene: Quite correct.

Posted by andyboy

@shiro11: That was a big thing for me, the crappy map. It made backtracking a frustrating experience.

Posted by bkbroiler

Totally agree with what Jeff is saying. If you get into it, there is some insane, awesome stuff in Fez. If you don't, it's a bit bland. And once you crack the code of the first really hard puzzle (which is a genuinely terrific moment) you kind of just keep doing the same thing over and over again. Still a really fun, creative game.

Posted by andyboy

@project343: I have Braid on Steam but have yet to play it. I hope to get to it this year as I want to make my backlog of games smaller before the end of the year.

Posted by csl316

Dat GIF!

Posted by stoic665

@nail1080 said:

So after 20 plus years of gaming experience and many years of reviewing games, you just broke out a guide? Wow, sorry but that makes this review nonsense to me, it may as well have been written by some dude who watched a playthrough on youtube.

The puzzles aren't hard, they just require some patience, thought, and logic, but I guess that's too much to ask for even for experienced gamers these days. Pity.

To be fair to Jeff, some of the puzzles in the game are pretty damn hard. I mean, one of the puzzles in the game still remains unsolved despite the entire internet trying to solve it... But I agree that he probably shouldn't have given up quite so easily. Deciphering the language of the world is just so much more satisfying when you do it by yourself.

Posted by MormonWarrior

Interesting that this game is super inventive and has an awesome bunch of things to the experience and is only $10 but Jeff gives it four stars. I'm thinking of this in comparison to Journey, a $15 game that also looks really neat and rides on its unique message and play style. Maybe Fez isn't up to that level of quality but still makes me wonder a bit since they're both short, unique gameplay experiences. I need to play some more but it seems better than four stars to me...

Posted by nail1080

So after 20 plus years of gaming experience and many years of reviewing games, you just broke out a guide? Wow, sorry but that makes this review nonsense to me, it may as well have been written by some dude who watched a playthrough on youtube.

The puzzles aren't hard, they just require some patience, thought, and logic, but I guess that's too much to ask for even for experienced gamers these days. Pity.

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

Very interesting. I was wondering where this review was going after you talked about some sort of bump you hit in your progression. Good that there seems to be value in being persistent and getting to the bottom of it all.

Posted by bko

Some of the comments are proof positive how out of hand games are today with babying players and holding their hands. God forbid a game drop you in the deep end of the pool and respect you enough to figure it out without help.

Love this game.

Posted by Fozimuth
@Hobosunday: Not happening any time soon, if ever, and not because of a real reason like "We spent forever on this game and don't feel like doing a PC port."  Phil Fish just said some pretentious bullshit about it being a console game and left it at that.
Posted by BBQBram

I for one, am loving it so far but I'm a bit daunted by the cryptic stuff coming up. Bring it on Fez!

Posted by The_Hiro_Abides

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit but yeah the real meat of the game doesn't hit you until new game +. A lot of the harder puzzles require logic and being aware of symbols. After that it's just a matter of looking around for the right set.

Well, other than that black monolith. Still stuck on that.

Posted by thebigJ_A

SPOILER:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Posted by 1p

Great review. This game really did turn out to be quite different from what I had expected it to be, and way cooler.

Posted by Brodehouse

I'm really not enjoying my time with Fez. I also didn't like Braid. I did enjoy most of Limbo, before it got obnoxious in the last half hour or so. When the puzzles became obvious as puzzles without meaningful context.

Maybe I'm just a big durr durr, my favorite downloadable games are still Bastion, Super Meat Boy and Shadow Complex.

Posted by NegativeCero

I've barely put 20 minutes into this, but now that I know what to expect, I'm going to try for the Braid style avoid solutions at all costs approach to secrets.

Posted by laserbolts

Will wait until they fix the issues then hopefully get it through a sale.

Posted by shiro11

@project343 said:

@andyboy said:

@Hef: I figured at least a 3 or 4 stars from Jeff on Fez from the way he talked about it. I would lean more towards 3 stars due to how you really have to want to delve deep into the mind-bending puzzles. I wasn't willing to invest a lot of time into the harder puzzles due to getting frustrated and on the verge of not having fun with it anymore. Still, Fez is worth playing just to see how well the 2-D style mixes with the 3-D gameplay.

How did you feel about Braid?

In many respects, it's a lot of the same design principles. Some aspects of Braid are maddening. If you want the 'simple, easy adventure,' both games suffice with minimal sense of reward; but if you're willing to invest your brain and time into the world, you get something so, so much more. Few games cater to that obsessive-compulsive gamer (beyond worthless collectibles), and I think the game should be commended for convincing me that Phil Fish is probably insane.

@Jumanji said:

I really didn't like Fez. The only challenge was trying to navigate the godawful map to find rooms that I hadn't already been in. The 3d stuff doesn't stop looking cool but it does not produce challenging/surprising puzzle platformer play... Also, I think there should be a decade-long moratorium on cute indie platformers.

If you think that there's no challenge, you have only played the game at surface-level. It's time for you to grab ahold of your inner Joseph Gordon-Levitt and go deeper. Bwong.

I loved Braid and didn't have to go to message boards at all.

But in Fez when you are at 31 cubes and the decoding stuff and the QR codes are staring you in the face I just get extremely frustrated. Also the map and the incessant backtracking didn't help.

Posted by PrivateIronTFU

@Animasta said:

honestly you're almost making it sound that the only reason I wouldn't want to pick it up is because I'm not smart enough for it... I know that's probably not what you really think but it still kinda comes across that way.

You probably aren't smart enough for it. For a few of the puzzles at least. I know I'm sure as hell not. But I'm still enjoying it immensely.

Posted by BitterAlmond

Great review. If I had a 360, I'd pick this one up. Fingers crossed for a Steam release.

Posted by skrutop

Fortunately, I haven't run into any bugs or crippling issues. The only thing I've seen is the framerate stuttering on larger levels.

I really like Fez; the developers really thought outside of the box for a lot of the puzzles, and figuring out what to do is very gratifying. I must've spent three hours trying to figure out the bell tower before giving up. Later, when I realized what the symbols meant, it felt great to solve the puzzle after all of that time. Since then I've looked up some clues online to get me headed in the right direction, but I've been deliberately trying to piece everything together myself.

Posted by WMWA
@Chavtheworld Yes you keep it all and your map still shows where youve been. =)
Posted by Bollard

@brehonia said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I think you missed out on a lot by busting your way through with forums Jeff. Working out the language, and the button input puzzles, and the vibration puzzles with no outside help were some of the most satisfying things I've done in a game in quite a while. I was really annoyed too when the number system got blown for me when I was searching for hints out of frustration. The game is really quite clever.

Couldn't agree more. I'm usually straight to gamefaqs too.

It's hard, but it's not the kind of bullshit-hard people associate with puzzle games these days. I reckon most people could get really far in this with a little patience and some basic up-front hints like "bring a pen" and "take the 32 cube door asap". There are plenty of easy cubes to get by until you have some idea of what's going on.

Ah man, I did not follow your second hint at all... I'm still on my first playthrough, will I lose all the progress I'm making? (as spoiler free as possible please :) )

Posted by dbene

Has a graphical style similar to Minecraft or something. Strange looking little 8-bit style game.

Posted by brehonia

@Chavtheworld said:

I think you missed out on a lot by busting your way through with forums Jeff. Working out the language, and the button input puzzles, and the vibration puzzles with no outside help were some of the most satisfying things I've done in a game in quite a while. I was really annoyed too when the number system got blown for me when I was searching for hints out of frustration. The game is really quite clever.

Couldn't agree more. I'm usually straight to gamefaqs too.

It's hard, but it's not the kind of bullshit-hard people associate with puzzle games these days. I reckon most people could get really far in this with a little patience and some basic up-front hints like "bring a pen" and "take the 32 cube door asap". There are plenty of easy cubes to get by until you have some idea of what's going on.

Posted by TheMasterDS

Was hoping for a 5/5 because it feels like a GOTY contender to me.... Well I guess Saints Row the Third got a 4/5 as well.

• 82 results