82 Comments
  • 82 results
Posted by Bollard

@Vitor said:

@JacDG said:

@Milkman said:

Very hesitate about this. It looks great but I don't think I'm willing to take notes or do any of the crazy stuff that would mean getting the most out of this.

Even if you don't, the game is pretty fantastic in my opinion, I don't think I have the patience nor the brain cells to solve some of these crazy puzzles I keep reading about, which is quite frustrating, but even as a simple platformer it delivers big time, and the soundtrack is flipping fantastic.

You'll easily manage to get to NG+ without digging too deep and that's already a good few hours of gameplay. I'm half way through my second run through, with new abilities and solving puzzles and am considering giving up. As much as I love the game, I've got my final exams coming up and don't have the time or patience to devote to complex puzzle solving. That being said, I still feel like I got a lot out of the game although I totally understand where you're coming from.

Please say on NG+ you keep all your collected cubes and artefacts right? Right? I have 31 cubes and 22 anticubes, all treasure maps and 3 artefacts (plus some other... things) and I would hate to have to collect that all again. I'm trying to get as much as I can in the first run, and if this "special ability" (please don't spoil!) means also getting everything I already had again I'd be super sad, cause I'm loving this game so far!

Posted by NorseDudeTR

I'm sometimes astounded at Jeff's reviews. They're SO concise, and seem to cut right through any bullshit you might expect from a "regular" review. The upshot is that I now want to play this game a little bit more than a couple of days ago, when I was kind of lukewarm on it. And although I'm not able to explain how that's a good thing, it really is.

Edited by project343

@andyboy said:

@Hef: I figured at least a 3 or 4 stars from Jeff on Fez from the way he talked about it. I would lean more towards 3 stars due to how you really have to want to delve deep into the mind-bending puzzles. I wasn't willing to invest a lot of time into the harder puzzles due to getting frustrated and on the verge of not having fun with it anymore. Still, Fez is worth playing just to see how well the 2-D style mixes with the 3-D gameplay.

How did you feel about Braid?

In many respects, it's a lot of the same design principles. Some aspects of Braid are maddening. If you want the 'simple, easy adventure,' both games suffice with minimal sense of reward; but if you're willing to invest your brain and time into the world, you get something so, so much more. Few games cater to that obsessive-compulsive gamer (beyond worthless collectibles), and I think the game should be commended for convincing me that Phil Fish is probably insane.

@Jumanji said:

I really didn't like Fez. The only challenge was trying to navigate the godawful map to find rooms that I hadn't already been in. The 3d stuff doesn't stop looking cool but it does not produce challenging/surprising puzzle platformer play... Also, I think there should be a decade-long moratorium on cute indie platformers.

If you think that there's no challenge, you have only played the game at surface-level. It's time for you to grab ahold of your inner Joseph Gordon-Levitt and go deeper. Bwong.

Posted by JacDG

@Vitor said:

@JacDG said:

@Vitor said:

@JacDG said:

@Milkman said:

Very hesitate about this. It looks great but I don't think I'm willing to take notes or do any of the crazy stuff that would mean getting the most out of this.

Even if you don't, the game is pretty fantastic in my opinion, I don't think I have the patience nor the brain cells to solve some of these crazy puzzles I keep reading about, which is quite frustrating, but even as a simple platformer it delivers big time, and the soundtrack is flipping fantastic.

You'll easily manage to get to NG+ without digging too deep and that's already a good few hours of gameplay. I'm half way through my second run through, with new abilities and solving puzzles and am considering giving up. As much as I love the game, I've got my final exams coming up and don't have the time or patience to devote to complex puzzle solving. That being said, I still feel like I got a lot out of the game although I totally understand where you're coming from.

I've spend quite some time already, and I haven't even moved past the first door yet (that would have to be the 4 cube door I guess) practically found everything you can without doing any of the really crazy stuff, a lot of cubes, an artifact and a handful of Anti-Cubes. My only problem with the game is myself, I'm OCD when it comes to games, and I love to find and see everything, and knowing I'm missing out on a lot of stuff that I'm realistically never, ever going to see outside a full runthrough of the game on YouTube, somewhat dampens my enjoyment of the game, and frustrates me to a certain degree, which is a shame.

I know the feeling. I turned to the hint thread here and accidentally 'solved' the number riddle which, while helping me immensely, has somewhat cheapened my experience. Then again, I know full well that I likely wouldn't have been able to devote the time necessary to crack that code anyway so it's equally frustrating to know that I would have missed out on a lot of content (and arguably some of the game's best levels) had I not done so. It's why I could totally give this game a 5/5 for sheer ingenuity and workmanship but I can totally understand why Jeff and others would knock it down for being inaccessible for a large part of its audience.

I'm too stupid to solve the complex riddles (Really can't fathom how anyone could ever do discover the alphabet or the number stuff, which I accidentally stumbled upon as well, only glazed at it quickly though and can't remember any of it) and too stubborn to just "cheat" and look it all up, a delightfully shitty combination that can only lead to even more frustration, I think I'm starting to hate this game, lol.

Posted by Bollard

I think you missed out on a lot by busting your way through with forums Jeff. Working out the language, and the button input puzzles, and the vibration puzzles with no outside help were some of the most satisfying things I've done in a game in quite a while. I was really annoyed too when the number system got blown for me when I was searching for hints out of frustration. The game is really quite clever.

Edited by Jumanji
@Milkman said:

It does NOT require notetaking... The biggest hassle is schlepping around looking for a door you've missed or some such.
Posted by Hobosunday

I want this game to come out on the PC so bad. It looks like a lot of fun. A good game to get your brain juices flowing in the morning or to wind down in the evening.

Posted by Vitor

@JacDG said:

@Vitor said:

@JacDG said:

@Milkman said:

I've spend quite some time already, and I haven't even moved past the first door yet (that would have to be the 4 cube door I guess) practically found everything you can without doing any of the really crazy stuff, a lot of cubes, an artifact and a handful of Anti-Cubes. My only problem with the game is myself, I'm OCD when it comes to games, and I love to find and see everything, and knowing I'm missing out on a lot of stuff that I'm realistically never, ever going to see outside a full runthrough of the game on YouTube, somewhat dampens my enjoyment of the game, and frustrates me to a certain degree, which is a shame.

I know the feeling. I turned to the hint thread here and accidentally 'solved' the number riddle which, while helping me immensely, has somewhat cheapened my experience. Then again, I know full well that I likely wouldn't have been able to devote the time necessary to crack that code anyway so it's equally frustrating to know that I would have missed out on a lot of content (and arguably some of the game's best levels) had I not done so. It's why I could totally give this game a 5/5 for sheer ingenuity and workmanship but I can totally understand why Jeff and others would knock it down for being inaccessible for a large part of its audience.

Edited by JacDG

@Vitor said:

@JacDG said:

@Milkman said:

Edited by Weltal

AHHHH MOVING PICTURES!! The devil's work!

Posted by Mr_JPeps

I'm just sort of taking it easy and going at it, at my own pace. There have already been things that i cant seem to wrap my head around, and the art of taking notes for a game is a concept that doesn't sound appealing to me, and something I haven't done in years. I'm just going to get as far as i can on my own and if i want to go back for all the cubes and artifacts later, i might, but I've really been enjoying my time in the game so far.

For a $10 XBLA game, i'd say its worth all of that.

Posted by Scottish_Sin

Great review.

'And going to visit the puzzles that I allowed a message board to solve for me to see how the game's developers intend for you to discover this information is unlike anything you've seen in recent history.'

The last time I had that feeling of needing to scour message boards for pointers in the right direction or just straight up looking for the solution was for the game Limbo and the search for all of those secret eggs. I really love stuff like that and I really hope to see more of it from other games.

Edited by Jumanji

I really didn't like Fez. The only challenge was trying to navigate the godawful map to find rooms that I hadn't already been in. The 3d stuff doesn't stop looking cool but it does not produce challenging/surprising puzzle platformer play...

Also, I think there should be a decade-long moratorium on cute indie platformers.

Posted by Winternet

Great review Jeff. I think it explains the all thing about Fez very well.

Now, if only the bugs were to be fixed and the game released on the PC . .

Edited by Hardtarget

I really wish this was coming out for PC, I'd love to play the game but I'm not sure how I feel about the bogdown during the zoom/loading and if it came out on PC there would just be no issues like this. Such a shame.

Posted by Vitor

@JacDG said:

@Milkman said:

Posted by web966

This game is insane and i cant get enough of it.

Posted by andyboy

@Hef: I figured at least a 3 or 4 stars from Jeff on Fez from the way he talked about it. I would lean more towards 3 stars due to how you really have to want to delve deep into the mind-bending puzzles. I wasn't willing to invest a lot of time into the harder puzzles due to getting frustrated and on the verge of not having fun with it anymore. Still, Fez is worth playing just to see how well the 2-D style mixes with the 3-D gameplay.

Posted by Animasta

honestly you're almost making it sound that the only reason I wouldn't want to pick it up is because I'm not smart enough for it... I know that's probably not what you really think but it still kinda comes across that way.

Posted by Cloneslayer

wont be picking this up. In my opinion if a puzzle game cant balance the difficulty of its puzzles then it fails, no matter how 'cleaver' the puzzle are. Ive been hearing how maddening this game is to figure out and that sounds like a shitty time.

Posted by Mr_Skeleton

That game is really really strange.

Posted by JacDG

@Milkman said:

Posted by TadThuggish

OHHHH sick burn!

Posted by rmanthorp

I thought I would be really into this game and I played the demo and really didn't like it. I will maybe come back with a clear mind after the dust and hype has settled but right now there is too much BS surrounding it for me to be bothered with it.

Posted by bhhawks78

Take 5 years and then have massive glitches?

Glad I wasn't interested anyways, random puzzle platformers are a dime a dozen.

Posted by drowsap

Whats up with the wobble pic did you imbed a GIF?

Posted by Scodiac

The thing about Fez is that the world is so enjoyable that spending extra time in it while racking my brain to figure things out isn't at all painful.

Posted by Gnubberen

Is that a.... GIF!?

Posted by MariachiMacabre

This game is fucking great.

Posted by Milkman

Posted by MassacreMonk

Cool!

Posted by Hef

I didn't think this would get 4 stars on the site.