106 Comments
  • 106 results
Posted by Eldave0

Welcome back Survival Horror, you have been sorely missed! :)

Cannot wait to pick this game up tomorrow and take on some Zambys

Posted by Stensby1

It sounds interesting. I might just go ahead and give this a shot.

Posted by iAmJohn

@JasonR86 said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

I feel like my head is going to explode. So there IS a Wii version of the game? I'm looking online and I'm not seeing that anywhere.

Platform: Wii U

"This review is for the Wii release"

It's only for the Wii U.

Not that it really matters, but according to Dave in last week's I Love Monday, being able to attach reviews to Wii U versions simply doesn't work in their backend yet, so that's why it says it's for the Wii version. Now you know!

Posted by DylanFill

Glad to see Patrick give it a good review. I bought this at launch, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Posted by rrcplus

This game looks very interesting, I'm personally not sure if I want to buy a console for just this game. I might have to wait until more exciting things come out.

Posted by nutta27

This will be the game I buy Friday when its released over here

Edited by snowflame

(ironically, Red Steel 2 was actually pretty good).

No, no it wasn't actually.

It is funny when enemies shoot other enemies in the back, though.

Posted by PompousDawson

Just bought this on the e-shop. This review causes me to sway, plus the DDP as well.

Posted by laserbolts

My roomate has this and it's junk. The combat is horrible and doesn't feel at all satisfying. The presentation looks like a 360 launch game and the frame rate was unstable at times. I never paid attention to the story bits so I'm not sure if that's what redeems this game. Either way you shouldn't spend $60 on this under any circumstance.

Posted by JasonR86

@QuistisTrepe said:

I feel like my head is going to explode. So there IS a Wii version of the game? I'm looking online and I'm not seeing that anywhere.

It's only for the Wii U.

Posted by ProfessorEss

@Shaanyboi said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@iAmJohn said:

@ProfessorEss said:

Good review, and I must say the quick look made the game look much more interesting than I thought it would be.

...but ugh, Red Steel? Pretty good? I dunno man, Red Steel kind of defined everything that I felt was wrong about the Wii.

Dude, Red Steel 2 was pretty good. It still had problems but their weird western aesthetic and swordplay was kind of rad.

Pretty sure he edited this to say Red Steel 2 after my post. I wouldn't have reacted so strongly to Red Steel 2.

I still didn't think Red Steel 2 was very good either but it certainly wasn't the mess that was Red Steel 1.

Unless he edited after like.... 3 comments which is when I read the review, it's always said Red Steel 2

Okay. My mistake.

Posted by Shaanyboi

@ProfessorEss said:

@iAmJohn said:

@ProfessorEss said:

Good review, and I must say the quick look made the game look much more interesting than I thought it would be.

...but ugh, Red Steel? Pretty good? I dunno man, Red Steel kind of defined everything that I felt was wrong about the Wii.

Dude, Red Steel 2 was pretty good. It still had problems but their weird western aesthetic and swordplay was kind of rad.

Pretty sure he edited this to say Red Steel 2 after my post. I wouldn't have reacted so strongly to Red Steel 2.

I still didn't think Red Steel 2 was very good either but it certainly wasn't the mess that was Red Steel 1.

Unless he edited after like.... 3 comments which is when I read the review, it's always said Red Steel 2

Posted by Fistoh

The only complaint I have with this review is mentioning that there's a jump in the nursery. Whenever I do play this game, I will now know that there is a jump in the nursery, and It takes most of the anticipation out of the picture. Otherwise, fantastic job, Mr. Klepek. 

Edited by QuistisTrepe

Edited by mdnthrvst

AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON EARTH WHO PLAYED THROUGH THE FIRST RED STEEL AND THOUGHT IT HAD A COOL AND INTERESTING YAKUZA STORYLINE AND SOME PRETTY NEAT LEVEL DESIGNS AND FUN MECHANICS

I FEEL LIKE I PLAYED A GAME THAT DIDN'T ACTUALLY EXIST AND EVERYONE ELSE GOT SOME UNSPEAKABLE PIECE OF SHIT FROM THE WAY IT'S TALKED ABOUT

Posted by Knights

I'll be the proud owner of a Wii U soon... And yes, I'll be playing this game because a lot of other zombie games are missing this survival horror factor to it... I just hope I don't brick it updating it! :P

Posted by minor_incident

The more I play of ZombiU, the more I'm convinced it's actually goddamn brilliant. One of my favorite launch games ever.

Posted by ApolloAxis

Good to see it turned out alright. :)

Posted by The_Moose

Great review!

Posted by Krisgebis

Giving this game to Patrick for review is the kindest treatment giant bomb could give this game.

Scoring games high for trying new things and having an interesting premise, and at the same time not faulting the games too much if they lack cohesive mechanics or otherwise mess up the execution. That is why you see the discrepancies between his review scores and other sites. Not really a critic of his reviews, but more of a note to keep in mind.

Posted by Anwar

All of you guys who respect GB more than Gamespot reviews realize that GB respects those guys and that Gamespot isn't worse at reviewing games, right?

Posted by SathingtonWaltz

This reminds me a bit of Far Cry 2. I personally loved the shit out of that game, but it's one of those "acquired taste" games. But yeah, ZombiU definitely seems up my alley and this only further confirms my purchase.

Posted by Solh0und

To me survival horror has been dead for years but good to hear ZombiU is neat!

Posted by wardcleaver

I am not a fan of the whole zombie thing. This review and the QL did not change that.

Posted by CrossTheAtlantic

Adding a U to the end of the games just doesn't have the same ring as "Super" or "64" did I guess.

Posted by Gordo789

welp, I guess I should start squirreling money away for a wii U.

damn it.

Posted by Lucidlife

Was it really necessary to pick at the name? Nope. But expected.

Posted by SharkEthic

Really wanna play this, really don't wanna buy a Wii U.

Posted by Nekroskop

Still not enough to make me buy one. Marking this one off for later though.

Edited by ProfessorEss

@iAmJohn said:

@ProfessorEss said:

Posted by muralbat

Delicious hater tears.

This game does look fantastic and I can not WAIT until the 30th so I can get my filthy European hands on that shiny black beauty and play me some Zombiu!

Posted by Quantical

I'm not going to buy a Wii U as I do not see the point of it at all. This review makes the game sound interesting though. I already have Dark Souls so I don't need a crappy version of it really. Just keep down the middle of the road Nintendo. Yeah, you are doing great. Need a walking stick?

Posted by dropabombonit

Can we look forward to a spookin with scoops with this game?

Posted by VanishedDecoy

Excellent review, IMHO. Looks quite fantastic. However, it seems like I could be slightly let down by the fact that zombies appear to spawn out of nowhere which kind of hinders upon that feeling of a deliberate gameplay environment. Not really a fan of those scripted events either.

Posted by jamesisaacs

Must admit, the name is a blemish. You'd think the developers would have given it a better title related to the story.

Posted by ZZoMBiE13

@Yummylee said:

This all sounds fucking incredible, and I sorely wish this was a multiplatform game as I'm not willing to buy a WiiU for what is just one game I'm currently interested in =(

I completely agree.

I'm eagerly waiting for the Wii U to provide something, anything to justify picking one up. I like the tech involved and can't wait for the right combination of games to entice me into a purchase. Sadly though, as it stands this is the only game pinging my radar, so to speak. And as much as I love zombie fiction of all kinds, one game isn't enough.

Also, for what it's worth, this is not my way of railing against the Wii U. I rarely pick up consoles at launch. And the times I have taken that plunge have left me feeling regretful (VITA).

Posted by Fitzgerald

Flashlights that have arbitrarily short battery life = dumb.

Posted by MrMiyagi

Excellent review. I'm glad I bit the bullet and grabbed this one with my spur of the moment Wii U purchase.

Posted by Yummylee

This all sounds fucking incredible, and I sorely wish this was a multiplatform game as I'm not willing to buy a WiiU for what is just one game I'm currently interested in =(

Posted by JamrockZX7R

@kevjjsc: Please don't assume that if someone doesn't like ZombiU they are some kind of amateur. Yes, Giant Bomb does rock but Patrick loved it, had it been Jeff or any of the other guys they might not have liked it so much. Don't dismiss peoples opinions because they are not in line with yours.

Posted by kevjjsc

Totally agree! great HONEST review, this is survival horror!! (RE1 & RE2)..the bad reviews came from amateurs expecting Left for Dead 3. GIANT BOMB rocks!!

Posted by golguin

Glad to hear it turned out great. We need more horror type games.

Posted by Leeroi

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Shaanyboi said:

@namesonkel said:

We need a Patrick review graphic.

they're doing away with those graphics entirely

That's a shame.

Agreed. Bummer.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

@Shaanyboi said:

@namesonkel said:

That's a shame.

Posted by bigevil1987

Great review, planning on getting a Wii U in a couple of weeks and this will likely be my first game, aside from Nintendoland.

Posted by iAmJohn

@ProfessorEss said:

Posted by Hailinel

@Dan_CiTi said:

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

So, if this game sell well in the next month on Wii U does that start the count down clock for XB360 and PS3 ports? From what I can see Ubisoft developed and published the game, so Nintendo does not own the IP. Therefore, it is not out of the question that if this sells well-enough, Ubi would want to port it.

Truthfully, this is the only game I have seen on Wii or Wii U that I wished other system had now. I won't buy a Wii U just for this game, but if they were to port it, I'd buy it for my current system even if it lost the second screen inventory and used Kinect or Move for the "scanner".

Man this is always a bummer.

I'm guessing no. Ubisoft could port it if they wanted to, but they could have ported Red Steel 1 & 2 and those remained exclusive to the Wii (Red Steel, from what I recall, sold rather well based on the hype).

Not to mention that a great deal of the interactivity and novelty of the game, which is so focused on the touch screen, would be completely lost if it were ported to the PS3/360.

Posted by FoxMulder

Seems cool, but the fact that it only has one melee weapon is kind of dumb...despite it pretty much being a refrence to Shaun of the Dead! Maybe if the Dead Island devs meet up with the devs of this game they can make a truly amazing and deep zombie game!

Posted by Shaanyboi

@namesonkel said:

Posted by WeAreNotQualified

I gave you your due props in the ZombiU Miiverse community. Also, spend some serious time in Miiverse, especially the Funky Barn community. That place has turned into Meme Central.

• 106 results