287 Comments
Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar

Considering that DS2 is absolutely one of my top 5 games of the generation this is disappointing. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Posted by Missacre

@AlfredCapone said:

IF it stayed the same, people will bitch

IF they try something new, people will bitch

Welcome to the internet I guess.......

I'm about 3.5 hours in and other than the awkward 1st chapter(which he mentions) it feels exactly like a Dead Space game.

And saying its going out a middling note. I dont know of a single 'trilogy' or 'sereis' in which one game didnt live up to its expectations. Its part of it.

Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 3. There, I just named 3 shitty games for you. They're all by EA too.

Edited by Vigil80

@Yummylee said:

@Vigil80 said:

@ais1957 said:

As the last game of the trilogy, this one feels way too concerned with spelling out all the answers to the Marker questions, and too often it does so with hammy dialogue, implausible character motivations, and poorly devised subplots

Put "Reapers" in place of "Marker" in this quote from the review and you'll have a very accurate description of Mass Effect 3.... Small world, isn't it?

Good point. Seems like EA in general needs to step back and take a deep breath.

To be fair, on the latest bombcast Brad totally acknowledged the similarities between the reaction to ME3's ending and how he felt with Dead Space 3's story, including DS3's ending, and could emphasise with where people (ME fanbase) were coming from.

Sure. He and the others have been fair about the ME3 stuff.

I find it morbidly interesting how clear the pattern is. As someone else pointed out in the quick look comments, Dragon Age 2, ME3, and now this all seemed to get a heaping helping of mediocrity. It's like the creative teams for all three went to the same staff meeting. "Ok guys, get out there and give it your OK shot. I want to see something truly passable. Really bunt it!"

Posted by MormonWarrior

When I finished Dead Space 2, I was totally done with the series. I don't like where that game went at all and I feel like the first game was so much better it almost shouldn't have even become a series at all. I freaking HATED Dead Space 2 when I first played it but I've gotten past that weird hyperbole and can appreciate it on its own merits...but man it's too bad to see the series go this way.

Posted by Kezmer

I am sure I will agree with brad once I play it. I'm invested enough and love the series I had to pre order it. Once I heard co-op I cringed. I had no interest in this and would have been perfectly happy with just more dead space. The developers seem damned either way. Too much change and we don't like it, no change and people complain its the same game. As a guy who never plays co-op since I have a child and I have to afk to much, I am sure I will love some parts and hate others and wish it was all single player. I don't blame them for trying more things, I just wish it wasn't in a series I loved so much.

Edited by AlfredCapone

IF it stayed the same, people will bitch

IF they try something new, people will bitch

Welcome to the internet I guess.......

I'm about 3.5 hours in and other than the awkward 1st chapter(which he mentions) it feels exactly like a Dead Space game.

And saying its going out a middling note. I dont know of a single 'trilogy' or 'series' in which one game didnt live up to its expectations. Its part of it.

And lets not forget, you fought humans at the end of 2...

Posted by DarkbeatDK

Neat review. I don't like scary games all that much and while I played 2, I don't think I'll be playing 3, but its interesting to see gameplay from it and hear people's opinions on it.

Posted by Winternet

Thank god it's not the "I'm pretty disappointed with this game, but hey 4 stars" review.

Posted by RedCream

Copy and pasting environments? Is this Dragon Age 2 all over again?

Posted by Missacre

Well surprise, surprise. The game blows. Who didn't see THAT one coming, given EA's current record of shitty games?

Edited by Yummylee

@Vigil80 said:

@ais1957 said:

As the last game of the trilogy, this one feels way too concerned with spelling out all the answers to the Marker questions, and too often it does so with hammy dialogue, implausible character motivations, and poorly devised subplots

Put "Reapers" in place of "Marker" in this quote from the review and you'll have a very accurate description of Mass Effect 3.... Small world, isn't it?

To be fair, on the latest bombcast Brad totally acknowledged the similarities between the reaction to ME3's ending and how he felt with Dead Space 3's story, including DS3's ending, and could emphasise with where people (ME fanbase) were coming from.

Posted by Vigil80

@ais1957 said:

Posted by JimmyEcho

think I'll wait for a price drop before purchasing, can't not finish the trilogy now though

Posted by tonygxp

Awww, shucks.

Posted by mrfluke
Posted by bkbroiler

I really enjoyed reading this review. It makes me want to play Dead Space 1 and 2 again!

Posted by cosi83

I won't be playing this. Dead Space 2 was disappointing. The first was the classic

Posted by Grimluck343

@Bane122 said:

@Brad So this is a series I've always been a little interested in, but never pulled the trigger on and no very little about. I was under the impression that the first two were pretty good games but nothing amazing so, hearing you say that they are some of your favorites of this gen was a bit surprising to me. What about the series is so good to you?

With the end of the generation nearing, I'm trying to get a list of the games I want to play so I can go into next gen with little to no backlog. A final playlist, if you will. I've been back and forth for so long and it's probably time to make a decision so, any input is appreciated.

Also, I love the movie Event Horizon, how similar are these games to that?

Then you heard wrong. The first Dead Space is amazing.

Posted by ais1957

Edited by Alorithin

I want to know why party lines are split at 9+ and 7+.

It's either a continuation of a great franchise or a betrayal of the core aesthetic.

WHICH IS IT!

Posted by RaySpencer

My comment is mostly based around your quick look. My main concern is I wish you would take QLs a little less seriously. Your commentary is great, but I wish you wouldnt turn all your quick looks into trying to make actual progression. Dont play stuff on Hard because you want to beat it on hard, play it on a difficulty you are familiar with so that we the veiwers can get the best experience watching you play. Maybe do even just a little bit of prep work before doing quick looks, so like in this Dead Space 3 QL, you should 2-3 areas that you feel show off the game in a great way, and if you only use 1 gun through the whole game, maybe spend a bit of time before the QL making a couple different guns to show off some different things, incase the gun you make during the QL isnt something you want to use.

Otherwise, great review, and good quick look. Just put in a little bit of prep for QLs in the future and keep up the good work! Everyone of the GB crew is awesome.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

I will probably still get this game somewhere down the line, albeit for a reduced price. I liked Dead Space 1 and 2 well enough that the idea of a third, inferior as it is, doesn't scare me away.

Posted by Krystal_Sackful

@Nate:

Steam? Hah! Yes, I think I'll buy it when its in a steam sale as well.

Posted by Mustachio

Have you considered playing through a chapter again but in co-op? The way they marketed it suggests the story might actually change a bit or at least be further fleshed out with that Carver guy around you more often, and considering the way you talked about his minimal screen presence in the Quick Look it might be interesting to contrast the versions.

Edited by Yummylee

@stryker1121 said:

@Yummylee said:

@stryker1121 said:

@Yummylee: It seems the talk of "Well, co-op can be ignored" isn't entirely on the level. I'm no EA hater, but from this review and others it feels like DS has been homogenized...not into an awful game, but into a competent, forgettable one. Bigger and more badass shouldn't always have to be the rule with modern sequels.

You're absolutely right and I couldn't agree more, especially when it comes to supposed horror franchises. But I guess that's unfortunately the way it is; giving players something new nearly always seems to equate to ''bigger and flashier''. The Power Fantasy trope resides over gaming at every angle, and it's difficult for any series these days to slip through the cracks unfortunately.

Also, completely irrelevant, but I'm really curious as to why you don't have an avatar or anything like that. You've been on the boards for a while and you've long proven to be a perfectly reasonable and rational person, so I've always considered it odd why you've invariably bundled yourself with all of the other avatar-less, green-named users who often just post nonsense and/or are alternate accounts for people who've been banned.

BAM! You have inspired me, sir. I was just being lazy and got used to my avatar-less existence on GB.

Regarding your remarks, I do take some heart at the latest comments from the Resi guys, who've said a reboot may be in order at least a dialing back of the OTT action of the last 2 games. I think "bloated" is perhaps the word I'd use for many "AAA" games this gen..everyone trying to outdo each other and "kitchen-sinking" games as creativity wanes at the end of a console cycle.

I've not played Demon/Dark Souls yet, but I always hear about those games being lean, mean, tightly-controlled affairs that carry their own very strong and unique ID. That's precisely what I want to see next-gen from all developers.

Oh, the Souls games are definitely such games that just about everyone needs to try out. They're perhaps a little divisive, but if you begin to like them, there's a high chance that you'll end loving them as they go on. Plus Dark Souls in particular is actually kinda frightening at times, too. There was one environment that literally left me in awe; the scope alongside the theme that plays, and not to mention that it's mostly just an island surrounded by what looks like an endless ocean which I've always found terrifying, it always made me feel uncomfortable being there. It almost resembled some sort of horrific limbo or something.

You should definitely give them a go anywhoo, for many other such reasons that I'm sure you're aware of. There's just nothing quite like them.

Edited by Deathpooky

@Pixeldemon said:

@hussatron said:

In a way, I'm kind of relieved. I thought EA would easily get away with all the kind of sleazy DLC and microtransactions, as well as the lowest common denominator changes to the gameplay.

Well, if no one uses the microtransactions they can do several things:

1) Scrap the microtransactions as a failed experiment (best case scenario).

2) Make the microtransactions more important in the hopes that more people will use them (worst case scenario that would bite them long term--but this is Electronic "we killed like 20 awesome studios" Arts).

3) Keep them as they are, because the small chance that people will eventually start wasting more money after the initial $60 buy-in is "worth it".

It's pretty much going to be 2 or 3 after how much money they made from the Mass Effect 3 microtransactions. They have no way to quantify how much microtransactions hurt the game itself, or hurt the sales by all the negative buzz surrounding the game. But they can definitely quantify how much money they make, and I imagine it'll be enough to justify including it.

And if not, they'll point back to the ME3 success story and say they just need to change how they're implemented to get people hooked into it. I'm actually very surprised they didn't make a Dead Space 3 multiplayer in the style of DS2 with the microtransactions of ME3. Though really, that would have been pretty great, because then they wouldn't have fucked with the single player game.

Posted by BigBoss1911

*farts in thread*

Posted by Yummylee

@Brad said:

@beatlebrainiac said:

so do you think this game would have benefited from an always-there AI partner a la RE5? Honestly I didn't care much for it in that game, but from the sounds of the review it would be better here than the alternative.

I would have preferred the game had no co-op at all and they'd spent all their energy making a great single-player experience.

Then you can now truly emphasise with all of the disgruntled Resident Evil fans and the reaction to Resident Evil 5 :P

Posted by Bane122

@Brad So this is a series I've always been a little interested in, but never pulled the trigger on and no very little about. I was under the impression that the first two were pretty good games but nothing amazing so, hearing you say that they are some of your favorites of this gen was a bit surprising to me. What about the series is so good to you?

With the end of the generation nearing, I'm trying to get a list of the games I want to play so I can go into next gen with little to no backlog. A final playlist, if you will. I've been back and forth for so long and it's probably time to make a decision so, any input is appreciated. 

Also, I love the movie Event Horizon, how similar are these games to that?

Posted by ink

@Svenzon: Yes, the divergent opinions really have me intrigued. I've never been a super fan of Dead Space, so perhaps this one shakes it up in a way that will appeal to me?

Posted by 2kings

They must have jacked up the enemies because I pump like 4 or 5 plasma cutter shots into their limbs and it does fuck all. I'm not liking the crafting either. It feels confusing and worthless. Seems like a way to get you to spend some extra chedda on their stupid micro-transactions. This game has me totally disappointed. What a waste of 60 dollars.

Posted by Brad

@Abendlaender said:

So, the DLC stuff in the game caused a pretty big discussion before the game was released. In the QL you mentioned the "Buy now" button in the menues which seems a bit annoying but do you feel like buying the DLC stuff would make the game notably better? The droid stuff feels pretty stupid, but was there ever a case where you ran out of droids and had to wait?

Definitely, you only have one bot for a large portion of the game. But I still built up resources at a rate that felt sensible, regardless of the presence of the microtransactions.

Staff
Posted by Phatmac

@Brad said:

@Phatmac said:

Have you found Peng yet?

No, do you know where it is?

Afraid not. I'm sure there'll be a youtube video about it soon though.

Posted by Pixeldemon

@mellotronrules said:

comparison shot in case you're interested:

I see no problem with how he looks in any of the games, and while he is modeled differently in each game, it seems consistent.

Posted by mrfluke
Posted by Lukeweizer

Hi Brad!

Posted by Nate

Wow. Wide variety of opinions out there on this game. That makes it interesting. The only other review I've actually read was Polygon's (very favorable), so this was kind of a surprise. Personally, I'm not real interested in it. Maybe Steam sale some day.

Posted by mellotronrules

@Yummylee said:

Still, a clear badassiferacation was put into effect.

for sure. he went from everyday joe to hollywood in 1 to 2.

Posted by Pixeldemon

@hussatron said:

In a way, I'm kind of relieved. I thought EA would easily get away with all the kind of sleazy DLC and microtransactions, as well as the lowest common denominator changes to the gameplay.

Well, if no one uses the microtransactions they can do several things:

1) Scrap the microtransactions as a failed experiment (best case scenario).

2) Make the microtransactions more important in the hopes that more people will use them (worst case scenario that would bite them long term--but this is Electronic "we killed like 20 awesome studios" Arts).

3) Keep them as they are, because the small chance that people will eventually start wasting more money after the initial $60 buy-in is "worth it".

Posted by Abendlaender

So, the DLC stuff in the game caused a pretty big discussion before the game was released. In the QL you mentioned the "Buy now" button in the menues which seems a bit annoying but do you feel like buying the DLC stuff would make the game notably better? The droid stuff feels pretty stupid, but was there ever a case where you ran out of droids and had to wait?

Posted by Brad

@beatlebrainiac said:

so do you think this game would have benefited from an always-there AI partner a la RE5? Honestly I didn't care much for it in that game, but from the sounds of the review it would be better here than the alternative.

I would have preferred the game had no co-op at all and they'd spent all their energy making a great single-player experience.

Staff
Posted by stryker1121

@Yummylee said:

@stryker1121 said:

@Yummylee: It seems the talk of "Well, co-op can be ignored" isn't entirely on the level. I'm no EA hater, but from this review and others it feels like DS has been homogenized...not into an awful game, but into a competent, forgettable one. Bigger and more badass shouldn't always have to be the rule with modern sequels.

You're absolutely right and I couldn't agree more, especially when it comes to supposed horror franchises. But I guess that's unfortunately the way it is; giving players something new nearly always seems to equate to ''bigger and flashier''. The Power Fantasy trope resides over gaming at every angle, and it's difficult for any series these days to slip through the cracks unfortunately.

Also, completely irrelevant, but I'm really curious as to why you don't have an avatar or anything like that. You've been on the boards for a while and you've long proven to be a perfectly reasonable and rational person, so I've always considered it odd why you've invariably bundled yourself with all of the other avatar-less, green-named users who often just post nonsense and/or are alternate accounts for people who've been banned.

BAM! You have inspired me, sir. I was just being lazy and got used to my avatar-less existence on GB.

Regarding your remarks, I do take some heart at the latest comments from the Resi guys, who've said a reboot may be in order at least a dialing back of the OTT action of the last 2 games. I think "bloated" is perhaps the word I'd use for many "AAA" games this gen..everyone trying to outdo each other and "kitchen-sinking" games as creativity wanes at the end of a console cycle.

I've not played Demon/Dark Souls yet, but I always hear about those games being lean, mean, tightly-controlled affairs that carry their own very strong and unique ID. That's precisely what I want to see next-gen from all developers.

Posted by beatlebrainiac

Posted by Yummylee

@mellotronrules said:

Huh, he actually looks much older in Dead Space 3, but that could also be because of the bits of snow in his beard and the overall bump in detail. His head shape is still completely different, though, and he also somehow miraculously managed to start growing his hair again. Dead Space 1 Isaac looks like he's about to start balding :P

Still, a clear badassiferacation was put into effect.

Posted by Brad

@Phatmac said:

Have you found Peng yet?

No, do you know where it is?

Staff
Posted by Phatmac

Have you found Peng yet?

Posted by mellotronrules

Posted by mattdragn

Dead Space 1 was atmospheric to me in part because all of the game's interface was part of the in game world. Do the micro transactions damage that atmospheric feel?

Posted by EpicSteve

This have couch co-op?

Posted by Brad

@joshuaprince9212 said:

@Brad would you compare the way this game was handled to the way Capcom handled the rebooting of Resident Evil? i.e. Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 in that they have co-op and are much more of an action game than a horror game.

That's not a bad analogy, though I think RE5 was way better executed on the whole than Dead Space 3. RE6... let's not talk about RE6.

Staff