288 Comments
Posted by heatDrive88

I think it's fair to say even though this score still says 3 stars, it's probably still easy to say that this game is still really good - just maybe not as good as Dead Space 2 if that's what you liked.

Posted by Sooty

@MooseyMcMan said:

That's too bad! I'm going to wait a bit until it's on sale, and then pick it up.

I'm gonna buy it in a Steam sale.

And by that I mean in an Origin sale.

And by that I mean never.

Posted by Dezztroy
@evanbower said:

@Dezztroy said:

@AMyggen said:

@jaks said:

Brad you seemed to like it more in the Quick Look.

I am just starting Dead Space 2 now so it will be awhile before I get to this. :O

To me, a 3/5 seems perfectly in line with his comments in the Quick Look: A pretty decent game, but not even close to the two previous Dead Space titles.

That's the thing though, 3 does pretty much everything better than 1 and 2. Except for the whole fighting humans part, but you don't do that very often.

Also, Brad probably should've played some co-op before reviewing it. It adds a fair bit to the game and its story.

Edit: I feel like Brad gave the Tau Volantis sidequests too little credit as well. I really enjoyed learning how the

I'm almost positive he did play co-op, since on I Love Mondays last night they mentioned he was going home to do just that.

You're right. I must've missed the part about Carver in the review when skimming through it.

My bad, Brad.
Posted by Colourful_Hippie

Yup, that looks about right.

Posted by Milkman

I love Dead Space 1 and 2 with all my heart. But I think I'm just not going to play this. I have zero interest in slogging my way through another Mass Effect 3 in which I don't care about the majority of what I'm seeing just to get some sense of closure.

Make better games, EA. You're ruining everything. 

Posted by MooseyMcMan

That's too bad! I'm going to wait a bit until it's on sale, and then pick it up.

Posted by claybrez

It's like the life cycle of RE, only accelerated! Horror game? ACTION GAME! Mostly silent, vacant eyed protagonist? ACTION BRO... with hammy inner conflicts! Original setting? SOME PLACE THE GAME NEVER BELONGED IN!

I never played any of the deadspaces, this is just an outsider's opinion.

Posted by Yummylee

So I think I'd probably prefer to play through this in coop first, considering that it's looking to be a relatively mediocre Dead Space game from a solo standpoint. Plus I would then unlock Pure Survival, which looks playing that in single-player could be the best way for me to squeeze some survival horror-ish elements outta this.

Brad's need to play it in single-player greatly mimics my own experience with RE5. It's better for what it is in coop, but it's Resident Evil damnit, so by gum did I solo the shit out of it. But then I played it in coop and it was noticeably better... Although that's also in part because of having a wretched AI there to consistently ruin what little atmosphere that game had. Really wish RE5 could have featured the same solo/coop design, where I could still play the game purely as Chris with no nagging AI at my side.

Anywhoo sorry to randomly bring up RE5, it's just the overall reactions to Dead Space 3 definitely conjured up some memories. Really great review, Brad!

Posted by evanbower

@Dezztroy said:

@AMyggen said:

@jaks said:

I am just starting Dead Space 2 now so it will be awhile before I get to this. :O

To me, a 3/5 seems perfectly in line with his comments in the Quick Look: A pretty decent game, but not even close to the two previous Dead Space titles.

That's the thing though, 3 does pretty much everything better than 1 and 2. Except for the whole fighting humans part, but you don't do that very often.

Also, Brad probably should've played some co-op before reviewing it. It adds a fair bit to the game and its story.

Edit: I feel like Brad gave the Tau Volantis sidequests too little credit as well. I really enjoyed learning how the
feeders came to be and what happened to the SCAF soldiers. That poor guy in the supply depot, getting tricked by his sergeant to be eaten by his squadmates.

I'm almost positive he did play co-op, since on I Love Mondays last night they mentioned he was going home to do just that.

Posted by bassman2112

I'd like to rent it, but sadly there are no more Blockbusters or anything around here. Guess I'll wait for it to go on sale for like $5. Shame, I adored the first 2 Dead Space games as well; but from the very first E3 trailer, I felt this one wasn't going to be as spectacular.

Thanks for the review, Brad. It's super concise and touches on everything I wanted to know.

Posted by frankepooz

Make a amazing survival horror a coop dudebro shooter? well heres the answer how good that ends up being.

Posted by Vitor

@VicRattlehead said:

comment meltdown incoming? will brad be 2 for 2 in 2013 FIND OUT NEXT WEEK ON GIANTBOMB.COM

actually do people care about deadspace enough for meltdowns?

Weirdly enough, fans are happy that a series hasn't evolved at all this time.

About a third of the way through the game and yup, I can undeniably confirm that it's more Dead Space. I liked the first two but I'd honestly had my fill by the end of the second one.

This isn't the 'action' version of the series. It's the same damned game to a fault. Certainly enjoyable but not quite up to snuff in 2013.

Posted by familyphotoshoot

When will EA learn?

You cannot make a product that will please everyone. If you strive to consistently make geese that lay golden eggs you will fail. Not only this, but you destroy your existing fanbase in the process. It is an endless, destructive cycle that EA perpetuates in the name of greed.

Posted by EuanDewar

EVA helmet in that one screenshot

Posted by jimmyfenix

great review brad

Posted by Phatmac

The score reflects your thoughts on it on the bombcast and quick look. I mostly just want more Dead Space combat so I'll be getting it. Solid review nonetheless Brad.

Edited by Dezztroy
@AMyggen said:

@jaks said:

Edited by evanbower

Really happy to see someone in the games press actually, y'know, critique Dead Space 3 for its missteps, instead of just pointing them out then saying, "but it still plays like Dead Space, 9,5." I can take almost nothing from those other reviews when story and atmosphere are pretty much top priority for me. #bradgetsit

Posted by VicRattlehead

comment meltdown incoming? will brad be 2 for 2 in 2013 FIND OUT NEXT WEEK ON GIANTBOMB.COM

actually do people care about deadspace enough for meltdowns?

Posted by LikeaSsur

This is very disappointing, I loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. To see a franchise turn from action horror to just action is....kind of sad.

Oh, Dead Space, we hardly knew ye.

Posted by OllyOxenFree
Posted by MaxOpower

Sooo conflicted on this game. Game informer and Polygon loves it, but now brad doesn't... I'll Probably wait for whatever Jeff and maybe Patrick/Ryan has to say about it.

Posted by Arthol

Was really looking forward to play this one, but it sounds like EA's policy of annualizing their releases has claimed another victim? What a shame.

Posted by suicidepacmen

This is an acceptable review score, Brad.

Posted by xSeanZx

@JoeyRavn said:

Dead Space seems to be one of those extremely polarizing games. I've just started playing it and... I don't know. It looks great (though I have to say, I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with DS2), those cinematic action sequences are still top notch and combat is as good as ever. At least when you're fighting necromorphs, that is. Fighting humans seems way, way out of place for this series. Popping headshots and taking cover? Yeah, no.

I'm definitely going to play and finish Dead Space 3, though. It just hasn't gripped me as the second one did right off the bat.

I would agree with the statement about it not gripping you right off the bat, although I though the prologue in this game was really cool, its nothing like the opening of dead space 2. Now that was intense and awesome shit.

Regardless, I still love the hell out of this game. Im into Chapter 4 and still enjoying it very much. The scope seems much larger, and still I have a sense of tension in all the areas I go to. Im loving it so far (this is coming from someone who puts Dead Space 2 in my top 5 games of all time).

Posted by Morningstar

Wow, did not expect this :O

Posted by TooWalrus

@Carousel said:

Electronic Farts more like.

Yowza.

Posted by JoeyRavn

Dead Space seems to be one of those extremely polarizing games. I've just started playing it and... I don't know. It looks great (though I have to say, I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with DS2), those cinematic action sequences are still top notch and combat is as good as ever. At least when you're fighting necromorphs, that is. Fighting humans seems way, way out of place for this series. Popping headshots and taking cover? Yeah, no.

I'm definitely going to play and finish Dead Space 3, though. It just hasn't gripped me as the second one did right off the bat.

Posted by Sooty

Thanks Obama EA.

Posted by AMyggen

@jaks said:

Posted by Carousel

Electronic Farts more like.

Posted by Venatio

This is indeed dissapointing

Guess I'll skip it for a while, seems like they forgot what made Dead Space so great

Posted by DigTheDoug

Gnar gnar.

Chah.

Posted by JayEH

wow

Posted by jaks

Posted by rulerofeden

Picking this up today. Hope my opinion will differ from yours, Brad.

Posted by SuperWristBands

I really wish Dead Space 3 was trying to be more Dead Space.