79 Comments
  • 79 results
Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles

Ryan's last review... Just wanted to say, thanks for all the great reviews and purchasing advice you've provided over the years. May you rest in peace.

Posted by WMoyer83
Posted by Bakumatsu

Oh man... I've been playing this game for a couple a months now and I finished it on the day in which Ryan passed away. I didn't know it was the last game he reviewed. The universe really works in some odd way.

Edited by Godlyawesomeguy

The game in this review seems totally besides the point now.

Posted by spartanman1222

response to above two comments. :(

Posted by MormonWarrior

For historical perspective, this is Ryan's last written review. :(

Posted by AxleBro

oh on.... ryans last review was this? bummer...

Posted by VilgeDuin

Ryan's last review... Just wanted to say, thanks for all the great reviews and purchasing advice you've provided over the years. May you rest in peace.

Edited by divergence

I'm fairly far along into AC3 (WiiU version). So far I've encountered alot of graphical glitches which I've really never encountered before in a console game. But apart from that, I think they try to cram so much into this game that they don't quite have enough time to smoothly transition from one part of the story to the next. Everything seems awkward; like when Conner meets his "trainer" for the first time, their initial exchange isn't natural at all for two people whom have never met. I'll still plug along but so far I'm finding this game a little tired. I was expecting more sophistication out of it but at this point the mechanics aren't letting them really push it forward. Here's to ACIV- I hope that one becomes a breakout point for the series.

Posted by revel

Wait, 4 out of 5 stars.. And you gave it biggest disappointment of the year? And everybody was ripping on it. Most didn't finish it. Those that did completely crapped on it. I don't get it! I need an explanation....

Posted by Helios1337

I'm still on the fence for this one. The locations look very boring to explore, the story does nothing for me (revolutionary war and politics .. ZZZZzzzzzZZZ), and most reviews and videos just show all of stuff you can do OTHER than ASSASSINATIONS. I just want to run on some cobblestone roofs, climb some towers, see a beautiful city, clear out some dudes on patrol and stabby stab my target from a hay bale for sweet sweet revenge.

Edited by Ujio

I have to agree with this review; very spot-on about the game. The tutorial segments last way too long and the hunting mechanic feels tacked on. Am I playing AC or RDR here? If I want to hunt and skin animals I already have a game to do that.. And considering how it's so non-essential to anything in the game besides itself, that makes it even more annoying.

Posted by banquos_revenge

Finished this game before the review was up. If you want to post relevant reviews, do it in a timely mannar.

Posted by aktivity

I don't hate the ending, but I don't like it either. The game was originally meant to be a trilogy, but I fear that in their zeal to make it a annual franchise the ending got the short end of the stick. I would have much rather seen them give the trilogy a proper ending and then start a fresh new story. Instead they focused on creating a story justification for a sequel. The Desmond buildup should have paid off, instead we're stuck with another plot twist and cliffhanger ending. Still great game and the early plot twist was awesome. It totally made the long tutorial worth it.

Posted by dropabombonit

The review was worth the wait, agree with most of what you say. But I felt the way they ended Desmond's story was poor. I was really invested in his story but they (SPOILER!) literally kill that potential. I loved the Conor stuff and would have gave this game 5 stars if it wasn't for how disappointing the ending to Desmond's story was

Posted by wardcleaver

Another excellent review from Ryan. I kinda want to play this, but feel I should play Brotherhood and Revelations first (I have played AC and AC2).

Posted by laserbolts

I disagree with this game getting away with how buggy it is but this was a well written review. I didn't expect one thanks Ryan.

Posted by Gabriel

There is no way I will ever play this game after seeing how bad they botched the story. Mechanics might be fun, but not worth my time.

Posted by JesterPC238

Excellent review, well worth the wait. I appreciate the general lack of spoilers as well. I haven't played the game yet, it's sitting on my shelf as I wrap up Revelations, but from everything I'm hearing about it it sounds like maybe people had some unrealistic expectations for the game. What did we really think they were going to do to drastically change it? The formula is solid, the free running really has only needed refinements and tweaks since the first game, the combat works fine and dandy, and the basic structure of the game is enjoyable. Personally I didn't expect anything much different than Revelations or Brotherhood set in the American Revolution, and it sounds like that's what this is. Shame the ending is apparently bad though.

Posted by Christoffer

This year I've played AC1, AC2 and currently Brotherhood. Never played them before and I find them quite awesome. Though I will need some time off after Brotherhood. I'm all stabbed out for awhile and I still want to play Revelations.

... so much stabbin'

Posted by Bell_End

can't wait to play this. hanging on for the PC version though which is towards the end of the month.

have PLENTY to keep me busy till then.

Edited by Ghostiet

@Dezztroy said:

"The unique Assassin’s Creed multiplayer first introduced in Brotherhood continues to get refined in Assassin’s Creed III."

Except it's basically a copy of The Ship.

History is written by the winners, there's nothing new under the sun, etc. Splinter Cell's multiplayer also wasn't unique, it was a copy of Thievery, a mod for UT which was inspired by Thief.

They also didn't have to know about The Ship when devising the basic concept. Brutal Legend's gameplay is essentially a modernized version of Sacrifice, yet Tim Schafer said that he didn't know about Sacrifice until it was pointed out to him knee-deep into production - and there's no real reason to doubt him.

Posted by probablytuna

Still waiting for the delivery man to drop my damn game off. Hurry up!

Posted by Claude

I'm pretty deep into 3 and 4 sounds about right. Whew, going back into 3 for a 4 sounds like fun, see you soon.

Posted by GetEveryone

@whitespider said:

I like how giantbomb's comments are less... how do I put it - Influenced - than the more 'mainstream' outlets. For example, users are mentioning "ryan has a certain perspective on something, I might have another perspective" Compared to say, ign. That is a revelation of the human spirit.

See: Catherine, Halo 4.

The comments here can be just as vitriolic and uninformed.

Posted by Dezztroy

"The unique Assassin’s Creed multiplayer first introduced in Brotherhood continues to get refined in Assassin’s Creed III."

Except it's basically a copy of The Ship.

Posted by allodude

@revpeters: To be fair though, middle-of-the-day chase sequences aren't exactly new to the series.

Edited by whitespider

I like how giantbomb's comments are less... how do I put it - Influenced - than the more 'mainstream' outlets. For example, users are mentioning "ryan has a certain perspective on something, I might have another perspective" Compared to say, ign. That is a revelation of the human spirit.

A lot of users are now judging everything on a score, and the few that are not are suggesting that a site should become score free. I think both are extreme reactions to a simple problem. Reviews and scores are held is some godlike regard. These people in which we trust, are just people. Just because they would give something 8.8/10 or 4/5, that does not mean that our views are invalidated.

If every single game reviewer was introspective (and they probably are not), I would almost suggest a review system that has two scores. The objective one and the subjective one. I personally don't like the game for 'this' reason, however objectively it get's a lot of things right.For example, dishonoured I LOVE this kind of game. So the shade of my glasses is 'positive'. The subjective part of my gives the game a 10/10. The objective part of me notices the AI flaws, short game length, etc. Which is more in line with a 8/10.

Recently jeff reviewed Forza horizon and need for speed most wanted. He liked both games, however his subjective slant was leaning towards hot pursuit and it's crazy multiplayer action. He gave into the objective 'reviewer' requirement and gave horizon a deserved 5/5. Although that's probably not the game that brought the biggest smile to his face.Similar story with halo 4, his subjective self would probably give it a 2/5 or 3/5, however he gave it a 4 based on the greater majority of the audience being people who would want 'more halo' and not something innovative.

If jeff split that score into a Halo fan's 5/5 and his 3/5. That would tell two groups something more specific. It would tell the halo fans that they have a great halo game, and it would tell people who share gaming tastebuds with jeff that it's a shiny new coat of paint on the same warthog.

Posted by Dan_CiTi

Sounds about right. Definitely a good game, but still doesn't hit all the notes it could, and some spots get muddy. Also, what the fuuuck is up with the modern day peoples' faces in this series. Like good fucking lord they just get weirdly deformed in different ways every game.

Posted by beard_of_zeus

Thanks for the review, Ryan. I think this will be a Black Friday pickup for me.

The issue with the bevy of side activities in the game not meshing together or being interesting (with some exceptions here and there) has plagued this series since AC2; it was something I hoped they would have fixed by now, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

On the other hand, the new characters/story/setting sounds like it was the shake-up this series needed after the Ezio games dragged on for so long. Sounds like I'll need to turn off the completionist part of my brain when I get around to playing this, and just barrel through the story (+ the always awesome multiplayer). I'm interested to see what this horde mode they cooked up is like.

Posted by Ghost_Cat

I can hear gasps of those who impatiently awaited this review.

Posted by MormonWarrior

I still think II is way, way better than Brotherhood (though Brotherhood did have some cool things in it), and I'm kind of disappointed to hear the mostly lukewarm to mildly positive response from reviewers and players alike. I thought this'd be a shoe-in for GOTY, but the best games this year are original properties or revamps of old series (XCOM, for example). Kind of nuts.

Posted by revpeters

I think 4 stars is being a bit generous...

If the game was nothing but the combat and the tree traversal that would make some kind of sense. how the hell can you get past the pointless gd chase sequences without just stabbing yourself in the face? The name of the game is "Assassin's" Creed and you're in the street chasing people in the middle of the day...it's all kinds of stupid

Posted by Strife777

I think this basically says exactly how I feel about the game (Except for the side-missions, but I'm the completionist type). Great review Mr. Davis.

Edited by TorMasturba

I feel like maybe Ryan's personal choice to overly depend on the fast travel was translated, for him, as the game was badly designed in this aspect?

I mean he didn't have to use the fast travel and it also was in previous games, granted you had to go to a certain nearby part of the city to use it but the feature was there to a lesser degree none the less.

Please bare in mind that I'm an AC series nut(outside of handheld games for which I have not had the chance to touch) and have have played and enjoyed all games in the series. I thought AC1 was good, needed polish but I liked it, so maybe my response to Ryan's review is tinted by my own love of the series and world within the games.

Posted by MEATBALL

I've been loving this game a lot, I even think it may be my favourite in the series. I seem to be in the minority, though. Enjoyed reading this review, I wish Ryan wrote reviews more often.

Edited by AnEternalEnigma

I am shocked that, after leaving this review in the oven to bake for a week, Ryan mentioned NOTHING about the smorgas board of bugs and glitches in this game. This is one of the glitchiest AAA games I've seen this gen. It has made me regret the day one purchase.

Posted by jasonefmonk

@wsowen02 said:

@phrosnite said:

Called it. Ubisoft needs to take a break from AC and focus on making not shitty Prince of Persia games now.

Fucking A! They ended PoP 2008 with that fat cliffhanger and haven't said shit about it since then.

I'm pretty sure there was DLC. I never bought it because it's still expensive.

Posted by wsowen02

@phrosnite said:

Called it. Ubisoft needs to take a break from AC and focus on making not shitty Prince of Persia games now.

Fucking A! They ended PoP 2008 with that fat cliffhanger and haven't said shit about it since then.

Posted by CJduke

Good review. I'm only about 4 hours in and I keep having these moments of "This is awesome! This game is great!" immediately followed by moments of "This is dragged out, why am I doing this? This doesn't work well" Which fits a very common theme this year of games I was super excited for being, not bad at all, but disappointing to me in various ways, like ME 3, Darksiders 2, and Diablo III. All games that are amazing yet at the same time do a bunch of things I don't like

Posted by wsowen02

I would have gone lower with that score. I loved the past AC games but this one has been really disappointing.

Posted by GERALTITUDE

Great review! Really even handed and fair to the series. Also, TYPO: second last paragraph, second last sentence, you got a double the in this sucker. "In addition the the returning..."

Only problem with the review was I was laughing non-stop because I just can't divorce ACIII from "stab people like Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh". Seriously, just laughing like crazy at work right now. No one walk into my office dammit!

Posted by Sooty

Ezio didn't overstay his welcome, the series did.

Posted by Terrents

Nice review ryan. I agree with everything in it. I really enjoyed it though even for its flaws. I would give it a 5 stars. But im also going for a S rank so im a crazy person

Posted by AlKusanagi

Just finished it today and it's by far my favorite in the series. Conner is by far my favorite character in the games (well, maybe other than mack-daddy Benjy F.).

Posted by Cold_Wolven

I guess I'll pick this game up after I'm finished with Halo 4 and if the game only takes a week to finish then I can squeeze it before Hitman Absolution and the Wii U launch.

Posted by algertman

DAT SAFE 4!

Half joking. GBs 4 seems to cover way too much ground. But this was a well written review so good on Ryan.

Posted by Ghostiet

OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT HEAD

• 79 results