227 Comments
Posted by DrSharky

*face-palm* I have add for this game on the same page as a 1/5 review....

Posted by daigen

Yes I bought this game... it's not great... actually it is that bad... but it had so much potential. After playing CoD Blops2 on the Wii U gamepad I want a real CoD on Vita even more :'( Maybe they will release a patch that will automatically give anyone who bought this game the Platnium trophy to make up for dragging their sack over the hot coals.

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

I gotta say that, yeah, while the SP campaign is a short (for the best IMO) disaster, the MP aspect of Black Ops Declassified has been super fun. I know 4 other people who bought it for the MP aspect, and they've been enjoying the shit out of it, too.

Review seems harsh at 1/5, but to each his own. I would probably do at least 3/5.

Posted by Smashlampjaw

I bet people will still buy it lol :(

Posted by Lind_L_Taylor

It's nice to see somebody finally taking a shit on Call of Duty. :)

Posted by YukoAsho

@hidys said:

@tomvek said:

I'd love to see a quick look of this just to see how bad it is.

According to Jeff they don't have the tech to quick look vita games yet.

I can't fucking believe it's been this long and Sony still haven't sent over a capture kit. Considering how influential quick looks are to many people, you'd think that would be a priority.

Posted by ike7779

lol at Jeff's review image. Starting to think all reviews should drop the text and be solely expressed by a Draw Something image.

Anyway, I blame the bloppers.

Posted by Mooby923

Ya I figured it would be around this range. It is a shame because if done right it could have been a system seller.

Posted by Asrahn

@PandaBear said:

@Nettacki said:

@ReaganStein said:

@Nettacki: Citing amazon user reviews won't change Jeff's opinion. He played a junk game, and gave it a junk score. And his opinion does not seem to be an outlier. Buyer beware seems to be the overarching opinion from the majority of reviewers. Real reviewers, not some purchasers trying to make their waste of $50 feel worthwhile to lead other cows to the slaughter. At least you found a review pool more useless than metacritic user reviews to back you up though...

What makes you think everyone at Amazon is " trying to make their waste of $50 feel worthwhile to lead other cows to the slaughter"? Reading some of their reviews (which at least are fairly thorough and go through the mindset of the guy reviewing them as too how it makes a good game in their minds) to me seems like they genuinely like the game despite the shitty single player and multiplayer limitations/flaws. Key word: seems. Keep in mind: I'm not really planning on getting this game any time soon until there's some massive price drop or something. I think it's important to get both sides of the story when it comes to a game as seemingly polarizing between critics and fans as this one.

I think it's that "defend it because you own it" mentality. I mean you could find someone who bought a piece of shit game and likes it. I think reviews from Amazon (or any user submitted site) usually skew either way too high and way too low anyway... kids with an axe to grind rating a game too low or fanboys going mental over a mediocre game are easy to find. Jeff didn't like it... what can he do about it? Reviews are subjective, if they weren't nobody would ever disagree.

At the end of the day I trust Jeff. And he liked Black Ops II, so even if Declassified was bad he'd probably give it two or three stars, but one star must mean he hated it... so I'll wait for it to show up for free on PlayStation Plus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

Posted by Rowr

still not sure why everyone is so invested in seeing the vita fail. Reminicent of all the sony vs ms fanboy carry on from 3-5 years ago. i guess theres always a fresh cycle of 13 year olds buzzing around game sites.

sad to see this game sux though i cant say i was really holding out for it or anything. it would be nice to see a competent fps on the vita though, its more than capable.

Posted by Oscar__Explosion

Now that yahoo mentions Jeff's review hopefully nobody buys this shit game. (games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/call-duty-black-ops-playstation-vita-deemed-embarrassment-181628122.html)

Posted by hidys

@tomvek said:

According to Jeff they don't have the tech to quick look vita games yet.

Posted by BLKZOMBIE

Eggh...gross.

Edited by vinsanityv22

So, I guess, all that leaves is a Quick Look of this quality, quality game? Pleeeeease? :)

I hope Activision just goes back to contracting N-Space for portable Call of Duty games. I hope they go back to Nintendo handhelds too; I have no doubt that Sony paid for an exclusive COD game to push Vita sales, but that's not gonna do squat anyway this holiday season when the game is reviewing so badly. It should go back to Nintendo next year, I bet. I just hope N-Space is going to be able to make a quality game on 3DS; Heroes of Ruin was... less than good.

Posted by PandaBear

@Nettacki said:

@ReaganStein said:

@Nettacki: Citing amazon user reviews won't change Jeff's opinion. He played a junk game, and gave it a junk score. And his opinion does not seem to be an outlier. Buyer beware seems to be the overarching opinion from the majority of reviewers. Real reviewers, not some purchasers trying to make their waste of $50 feel worthwhile to lead other cows to the slaughter. At least you found a review pool more useless than metacritic user reviews to back you up though...

What makes you think everyone at Amazon is " trying to make their waste of $50 feel worthwhile to lead other cows to the slaughter"? Reading some of their reviews (which at least are fairly thorough and go through the mindset of the guy reviewing them as too how it makes a good game in their minds) to me seems like they genuinely like the game despite the shitty single player and multiplayer limitations/flaws. Key word: seems. Keep in mind: I'm not really planning on getting this game any time soon until there's some massive price drop or something. I think it's important to get both sides of the story when it comes to a game as seemingly polarizing between critics and fans as this one.

I think it's that "defend it because you own it" mentality. I mean you could find someone who bought a piece of shit game and likes it. I think reviews from Amazon (or any user submitted site) usually skew either way too high and way too low anyway... kids with an axe to grind rating a game too low or fanboys going mental over a mediocre game are easy to find. Jeff didn't like it... what can he do about it? Reviews are subjective, if they weren't nobody would ever disagree.

At the end of the day I trust Jeff. And he liked Black Ops II, so even if Declassified was bad he'd probably give it two or three stars, but one star must mean he hated it... so I'll wait for it to show up for free on PlayStation Plus.

Posted by Nettacki
@ReaganStein said:

What makes you think everyone at Amazon is " trying to make their waste of $50 feel worthwhile to lead other cows to the slaughter"? Reading some of their reviews (which at least are fairly thorough and go through the mindset of the guy reviewing them as too how it makes a good game in their minds) to me seems like they genuinely like the game despite the shitty single player and multiplayer limitations/flaws. Key word: seems. 

Keep in mind: I'm not really planning on getting this game any time soon until there's some massive price drop or something. I think it's important to get both sides of the story when it comes to a game as seemingly polarizing between critics and fans as this one.
Posted by Jackal888

@Vitor said:

@courage_wolf said:

Well that sucks. Here's hoping Gurrilla Games get it right with Killzone Mercenary.

Well liberation is still one of the best PSP games ever made so I'm hopeful.

I am upset Killzone Mecenary is not third person view like Liberation. I really loved that game on the handheld.

Posted by TheSilentTruth

I was thinking about getting the PS Vita bundle that comes with this game. I guess I'll just dodge the bullet (no pun intended) and save my money.

Posted by YukoAsho

@fisk0 said:

@miva2 said:

And this was supposed to make the Vita more popular?

I hope Sony didnt have this in mind when they said they'll expect more christmas sales for vita.

You can probably count on it being the best selling title on Vita though. When it comes to franchises like Call of Duty and Resident Evil, it's the name they're selling on, not quality or review scores.

Without the full multiplayer experience, though, I can't help but wonder.

Posted by CarlosTheDwarf

Oof. Guess I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Posted by iAmJohn

@Demoskinos said:

Ouch. Surprised Alex didn't review this he ends up usually getting all the utter shite games like Blackwater.

Do not forget: Alex willfully reviewed Blackwater. He is a better (and more insane) man than any of us.

Posted by Moncole

These devs shouldn't make shooters, they should try a different genre to see where their talent is.

Posted by fisk0

@miva2 said:

I hope Sony didnt have this in mind when they said they'll expect more christmas sales for vita.

You can probably count on it being the best selling title on Vita though. When it comes to franchises like Call of Duty and Resident Evil, it's the name they're selling on, not quality or review scores.

Posted by fisk0

@glitznglam_style said:

@Chris2KLee said:

Considering this is the same developer that made the equally panned Resistance game on Vita, I'm not exactly surprised at the outcome.

Burning Skies Metacritic is twice what this is. Burning Skies is at 60, Declassified is at 29. Not quite "equal".

There was no mention of it in this review, so maybe it's been changed since then, but when IGN's Podcast Beyond talked about it a month or so ago they said the (human) enemies still used the skeletons and animations of the Chimera from the Resistance game. If that's still true, I can certainly understand a much lower score, as even if the Resistance game was bad, they at least created a bunch of assets for it, while this kinda seems to have been a re-skin of that.

Posted by glitznglam_style

@Chris2KLee said:

Considering this is the same developer that made the equally panned Resistance game on Vita, I'm not exactly surprised at the outcome.

Burning Skies Metacritic is twice what this is. Burning Skies is at 60, Declassified is at 29. Not quite "equal".

Posted by WMoyer83

No amount of shameless Mountain Dew and Slimjim promotional tie ins can save this awful disgrace.

Posted by tomvek

Posted by miva2

Posted by kmg90

@graboids said:

I dont think I've ever seen Jeff's 1 star review image, so awesome!

Ditto

and its one good thing I can say about Black Ops for vita

Edited by pyromagnestir

Has that always been Jeff's 1 star review picture? I don't know if I've never seen that before.

I shall miss them if they are taken away. Don't do it Dave!

Posted by capnhaggis

this is disappointing...Haven't been a huge call of duty fan for a while, but i was interested in this version for God know's what reason...Oh well, maybe I'll pick it up when it goes to like $5.00 :\

Posted by ZRLeigh

I'm not a Call of Duty fan any more but was hoping the game would be at least decent to raise Vita's user base. Hopefully this piece of crap won't put them off the Vita.

Edited by SubwayD

I managed to pick this game up for about $10 and, well, I'm actually pretty happy with it.

That said, I'm in the minority of people who put way more time into score-attack and side mission stuff than MP thrills. Banging my head against a Veteran challenge level is my shitty idea of fun.

Still, weird tastes aside, the pricing for this is sickening. This should have been a downloadable game, $15 tops. Urgh. On the bight side, horribly overpriced Activision games retain their trade-in value. Once I'm done (that won't take long) I can sell it off for a profit. :)

Posted by xinix

Guess this won't be on my list when I get a vita...

Posted by NekuSakuraba

Wow, I thought it would be bad, but not this fucking bad. Awesome review as always by the way!

Posted by SupberUber

Ouch!

Posted by Vitor

@courage_wolf said:

Well that sucks. Here's hoping Gurrilla Games get it right with Killzone Mercenary.

Well liberation is still one of the best PSP games ever made so I'm hopeful.

Posted by Ashler

@ShinjiEx: I'm sure it will be a great game when it comes out (I'm in Europe btw, great...!), but it's not the system seller nor does it have the push behind it that CoD does.

Posted by ShinjiEx
@Ashler: Persona 4 Golden. ^__^
Posted by ShinjiEx

1 star... it's not that bad and I've never played it yet alone own Vita ^__^

Posted by hollitz

Two worst game of the year contenders in one day?! SHIT IS HEATING UP!

Posted by Ashler

Wow, definitely not touching this. Wasn't this supposed to be the system seller for the Vita, I mean, it's the best selling franchise in gaming, and it's a POS on the Vita. :(

Makes me sad.

Posted by Slab64

Don't suppose anyone commenting on the Black Ops 2 QL wants to defend their "Jeff is giving COD a pass" statements now?

Posted by RaidenMitsuru

GODDAMN

Posted by ReaganStein

Posted by Nettacki

The people at Amazon genuinely like this game. As if they just don't give a fuck about the campaign and feel the multiplayer is really good for a handheld. One of the highest rated reviews there comes from a guy who's never played a COD game before. So if there's more people like them across the internet, then perhaps the Vita isn't quite dead yet.

Posted by sungahymn

AHAHAHAHAH.

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

@algertman said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@algertman said:

@Oemenia said:

Bad move Sony, this couldve saved the Vita.

Bullshit.

Actually I could of....This could of been Americas answer to Monster Hunter at lunchtime that is huge in Japan. Firstly it had to be a good game, 4 vs 4 via bluetooth or how ever Sony does it. Link this up with your account on either xbox\ps3\pc so you get bonus XP for the games you played at school that day and I think this game would of been a hit and sold alot of Vitas, plus put guns\unlocks\perks you could only get by playing the Vita version and the word of mouth with people playing it would be huge.

I just can't buy into that. Why spend over $200 on a Vita and CoD when I can get the real thing for a console I already own? Vita CoD was never going to be the same as Black Ops 2 on PS3 and have crossplay. MS would never be cool with that and with the money they give Activision for DLC first and for being the console the game is designed on that was never going to happen.

But do you have COD at lunch break? We used to play PSP tekken at lunch, would of loved playing 8 player COD. Need for Speed Most Wanted XP goes between consoles including Vita and 360. MS would pretty much let Activision do anything considered how many Xboxs have been sold because of COD.

Posted by whatsnme

woof.

Posted by LiquidPrince

@rjayb89 said:

I don't know why they bother releasing games that aren't Persona 4: Golden for the PlayStation Persona 4: Golden Machine.

There are a handful of decent games on the Vita aside from Persona 4. That game is just going to be the best one.