139 Comments
  • 139 results
Posted by Vager

Reading the review pushed me to to buy it on Amazon just now. That's a first.

Posted by Skogen

Im not too big on animu fighters. I'll save my money for TTT2.

Posted by l3illyl3ob

Can you skip repeat scenes if you've already seen them with another character?

Posted by Junpei

Had it pre-ordered (love me the hell outta fighting games and SMT is my favorite franchise across all genres) so I am understandably irritated that my copy did not arrive before I had to leave my house today. Sadly looks like I must wait a day to play. *sniffles*

Posted by Nentisys

P4A TNT?

Posted by MrCosmo

Sold! Pre-ordering for UK release now.

Posted by Cincaid

This review just warms my heart to read; it's clear that Persona 4 had a huge impact on Jeff, and I bet he's glad he did the endurance run with Vinny.

Still on the fence on this title, since I'm really not that big of a fighting game fan, but I'll probably pick it up one day when my budget is better. Maybe that eventful day when Persona 5 is (finally) announced, and I just have to get prepared for the big day. But since that day is probably years away, who knows if I'll be able to hold out until then.

Also, after reading this, it will be very interesting to see how Jeff (and Vinny) will handle the eventual P5 release. Somehow I feel like an endurance run might not be a too crazy thought anymore. But don't tell those guys about it!
Posted by Karmosin

Now for the wait here in Europe...

I never really minded the visual novel style in BB, other than that the story got confusing and almost incomprihensible fast, found the gag reels hilarious though. I think I'll really like this game, seen alot of streams of it and the fastpaced agile way of the fightingmechanics is right up my alley. :)

Edited by Jack_Lafayette

I may get this after a price drop since I'm interested in the story mode and that actually sounds workable... I've learned the hard way time and again that fighting games aren't for me.

Posted by Rmack

@damswedon: Ah, you're right. I forgot about those PS2/Xbox MKs to be honest. They weren't bad, though. Guilty Gear X had a story mode very similar to their other games and that came out in 2000, but I don't remember it getting as in depth as it was when XX came out, which I think was the same time around MK.

Edited by JayCee

Who is this Yu guy?

Its either Charlie or nothing man, make it canonical!

Posted by Rmack

@Winsord said:

I enjoyed Guilty Gear X2, but haven't played any of the BlazBlue games. I'd really like to get this game, but I feel like I need a fighting stick first; my experiences with using the 360 controller for SFIV and MVC3 was less than satisfactory, and even though this is going to play a bit differently, I think I'll probably hold off. I'm probably mostly looking to get this for the story stuff though, and less so the actual fighting game.

Is it the dpad or buttons messing you up? If it's the former, the MadCatz Fighting Pads do the trick without having to put down hundreds of dollars. While I took the plunge and finally bought a stick at my first PAX because I have no self control, I keep one of these around for friends or to bring to people's houses.

Posted by Phished0ne

Great, i was just waiting for word about the netcode to see if i should pick this up.

Posted by Winsord

@Rmack said:

@Winsord said:

I enjoyed Guilty Gear X2, but haven't played any of the BlazBlue games. I'd really like to get this game, but I feel like I need a fighting stick first; my experiences with using the 360 controller for SFIV and MVC3 was less than satisfactory, and even though this is going to play a bit differently, I think I'll probably hold off. I'm probably mostly looking to get this for the story stuff though, and less so the actual fighting game.

Is it the dpad or buttons messing you up? If it's the former, the MadCatz Fighting Pads do the trick without having to put down hundreds of dollars. While I took the plunge and finally bought a stick at my first PAX because I have no self control, I keep one of these around for friends or to bring to people's houses.

The D-Pad is definitely a big part of it, but not the sole reason. I've used one of the fight pads and they're pretty good, but I still prefer the weight and general feel of an eight-way gate on a stick, along side the snappiness of the buttons.

Posted by Joker369

Fantastic read. Seems pretty neat from what I've played so far.

Posted by Phatmac

He'll always be Charlie to me!

Posted by Panelhopper

This is definately going on the wish list...

Posted by greenblattsam

THE ONLY MAIN CHARACTER I KNOW OF IS CHARLIE TUNOKU

Posted by iAmJohn

Good thing I love Persona 4 and think Arc makes some of the best fighters out there. It sounds like this game is made for me!

Posted by Pip_Fox

I'm all about DAT P4A.

Posted by Winternet

Man, this just makes me want to play P4 again. Or watch the ER for the umpth time. Must. resist. temptation.

Posted by weegieanawrench

This is my first exposure to an Arc system game, and I have to admit I'm having a real tough time pulling off quarter circle combos. But as Jeff says, the P4 and P3 hook is great. I've had a huge ear to ear grin seeing these characters again and hearing that awesome persona music. I really suck at fighting games, but I think I'm gonna stick with it.

Posted by ashogo

I find it really weird that the Story mode has little actual fighting or gameplay in it. I thought this was supposed to be a collaboration between arc and atlus? Why make it a fighting game at all, if your story mode is going to be nothing but a straight visual novel? I don't mind lots of text, but it seems like they missed an opportunity to do something cool with their new fighter format.

Still, I love persona 4 so I'd probably play this game for the same reasons that Jeff did.

Posted by Beforet

Behold! The closest you will get to a Persona 4 review!

Posted by august

@Mdk5631 said:

Listen to the latest podcast they are begging for more ppl to come here

This is not a thing that happened.

Posted by aquacadet

@Beforet said:

Other than the 120 video 99 hour review.

Posted by Mandrewgora

I picked it up today, and enjoying the heck outa it.

Posted by Beforet

@aquacadet said:

@Beforet said:

Doesn't count!

Posted by WatanabeKazuma

So if it wasn't for the Persona hook, I doubt I'd stick with P4A... but it's a hell of a hook.

Gosh darn it, he's just about summed up exactly how I feel about this game!

If anything, it'll ensure that I have ample opportunity to run up against players of a similar 'quality'.

Edited by bybeach

Charlie will always be the main protagonist to me. Always..Charlie Tuna! Personally I'm not really, beyond the uniqueness of my initial exposure to it, that much into the whole Persona thing. I respect the complexity and the mechanics and the moving parts, but Jeff and Vinny made it the experience that I immensly enjoyed.

So a fighting game, decently done it is judged? Well, right on.

Edited by hakunin

This needs to hurry up and come out in Europe already! Can't wait!

Posted by Petiew
@ashogo: Lots of people are coming into this game as fans of the Persona series and have never played a fighting game in their life. They'll come just for the story and never play the game again once they've finished it. Forcing them to go through numerous difficult fights would most likely put them off the game.
Posted by ChrisTaran

Great review Jeff. As a hopeless Persona addict that's really the only hook I need. The last fighting game I gave a go was SFIV and that didn't hold my interest for very long, but attaching some of my favorite characters in video game fiction should be more than enough to get me through all the story mode and even a couple online fights!

Oh, and this will of course probably lead into my 4th or 5th viewing of the ER. Yes, I have lost count :)

Posted by TwoLines

Cool, might buy it in a couple of months.

Posted by Kowalo

I hardly ever play fighting games, but I picked this up for the story and it's great so far. I'm actually learning how to play rather than just button mashing like I do in other fighting games.

Posted by Brackynews

@Beforet: So what you're really saying is we need a Real Time Strategy version of Red Dead Redemption before that gets a quasi-review? ;D

Posted by MattBodega

I think it is quite telling that this review has more pictures of the story sequences than the actual fighting fights.

Posted by kerse

@MattBodega said:

I think it is quite telling that this review has more pictures of the story sequences than the actual fighting fights.

shhhhhhhhhh

Posted by Beforet

@Brackynews said:

@Beforet: So what you're really saying is we need a Real Time Strategy version of Red Dead Redemption before that gets a quasi-review? ;D

What I'm saying is that Venetian Blinds needs to be rebooted as a cover-based first person shooter before it will get the recognition it deserves on this site!

Posted by Undeadpool

@aquacadet said:

@Beforet said:

Not to be "that guy," but 155. Which I actually just got through watching again and which is TOTALLY still great. Especially when they talk about what games they're looking forward to and you realize how long ago 2009 was in videogame years.

Posted by RetroVirus

@Undeadpool said:

@aquacadet said:

@Beforet said:

Not to be "that guy," but 155. Which I actually just got through watching again and which is TOTALLY still great. Especially when they talk about what games they're looking forward to and you realize how long ago 2009 was in videogame years.

Those were the heady days of Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum!

Posted by paulunga

Hey, I love P3+P4 and the Guilty Gear series. I think this is for me!

Posted by theuselessgod

This is literally a match made in heaven. I love Persona 4, and Guilty Gear XX #Reload is one of my most favorite fighting games ever. Hoooooooly crap I need this. And it's so PURDY.

Posted by ch3burashka

Well, I'm fairly satisfied with both the product and review - as expected. Too bad it's not on the docket for TNT, but surely it'll bubble up sooner or later. At the very least it'll lead to some P4 discussion on the Bombcast, which is always the best thing ever.

Posted by 5eNintendan

Should change TNT to this. SO wanna see more.

Posted by TOA5T3R

Sounds like precisely want I wanted out of the game, Super happy to hear it turned out so well. Can't wait to pick it up.

Posted by Brackynews

@Beforet: OMG! In Venetian Blindrage: You ARE The Cover!

"CLOSE IT! CLOSE IT!! We're getting eaten alive here!!"

Posted by spazmaster666

Damn it, I'm very tempted to buy this game. I enjoyed BBCT enough on a casual level and I was a huge fan of Persona 4 so this seems like it would be a great purchase. Though considering I only have a casual to intermediate interest in fighting games, it probably won't be a great value proposition for me.

Posted by Hailinel

I've got my copy. Just need some time to start playing it.

• 139 results