139 Comments
  • 139 results
Posted by WJist

I would really like to stress how bad and inconsistent the netcode in the 360 version is: I have had slowdown in random spots during the match, not just the second round. The kicker? Sometimes there are matches where it is perfect...WTF? Otherwise, I agree with Jeff - the game's Persona hook is pretty awesome.

Also, surprise - people are really good at this game already. If you are going for the "win an online match" achievement, do it now while people are still learning before you are locked out forever!

Posted by LethalKi11ler

Based from the ILM I was expecting less than 4 stars but glad to see! Won't be able to pick it up for a little while longer but definetly will later.

Posted by dagas

Not much for fighting games but I'll get it for the story when it comes out in Europe.

Edited by DarkS2K

I'm loving this game. but man I must suck at fighting games or something. I played about 10 matches online and I couldn't win a single one. =(

Posted by dudeglove

OH FUCK GUYS JEFF GAVE A PERSONA 4 GAME LESS THAN 5

Posted by vinsanityv22

This is such a weird, such a Japanese thing...I am really curious to hear how it does, sales-wise, for Atlus. Arc's fighting games are niche (and, having played Blazblue, I can see why. Those characters are so nauseating), and Persona is niche. Is a combination of the two going to expand their audience, or grab just a fraction of it? I know that, in Japan at least, it's already BLOWN past expectations. But here in the West? I'm eager to see...

I think Atlus should stick to King of Fighters XIII, personally. I'm not fan of Japanese 2D fighters anymore - there are too many people like Arc and whoever makes Rumble Fish who make terrible, modern anime cliche characters and storylines. But KOF ain't bad. More importantly, why is no one making interesting new 3D fighters? I guess Platinum is making Mad Anarchy or whatever. But I seem to recall when Japanese teams were pumping out games like Fighting Vipers, Power Stone, Plasma Sword, Darkstalkers, Soul Blade, etc. Why are all these teams scared to innovate like they did in the late 90's/early 2000's? I suppose it's the same reason why western developers are intent on making fucking dogshit and calling them First Person Shooters nowadays - another genre noticeably less creative nowadays than those in the late 90's/early 00's.

Posted by ashogo

@Petiew said:

@ashogo: Lots of people are coming into this game as fans of the Persona series and have never played a fighting game in their life. They'll come just for the story and never play the game again once they've finished it. Forcing them to go through numerous difficult fights would most likely put them off the game.

They could have easily implemented a difficulty system.

Posted by damswedon

@vinsanityv22: There was a thread (that I can't find, so it might of never existed) that claimed that Persona 4 Arena was the 3 best selling fighting game in Japan sold in the last 5ish years. 1+2 were those Final Fantasy PSP games.

Posted by ashogo

@damswedon: I think you mean this thread?

Posted by Terrents

I agree completely great review jeff

Edited by biggiedubs

@DarkS2K said:

I'm loving this game. but man I must suck at fighting games or something. I played about 10 matches online and I couldn't win a single one. =(

You don't suck, that's just commonplace for fighting games, ESPECIALLY an Arc Systems fighting games. You've probably got to play about 100 matches before you even get a proper grip of everything. Keep at it, dude.

Edited by atomic_dumpling

Does this one have sudden death finishing moves, too? I played some Guilty Gear X2 #Reload and I won all the hard fights with that. It took a lot of tries, but when it came out and hit -- just awesome.

Posted by dbz1995
@atomic_dumpling said:

Does this one have sudden death finishing moves, too? I played some Guilty Gear X2 #Reload and I won all the hard fights with that. It took a lot of tries, but when it came out and hit -- just awesome.

Yeah it does. Chie has her Galactic Punt and Kanji has a bro-fist with his Persona. It is awesome.
Posted by dropabombonit

Great review. I will be getting this next month when it comes out in the UK

Posted by ofcbilly77

Because! Rainbow Dots...

Posted by ofcbilly77

@vinsanityv22: They're probably scared to innovate because of how risky it is. If they put something out there that changes up how people usually play similar games, they may not take to it. It was more common to experiment with that stuff 10 or more years ago because it didn't cost nearly as much to put out a retail game. If their game doesn't sell extremely well, they could risk losing their jobs, so some developers feel that it's better to play it safe.

We all know how infamous JRPG developers are for making essentially the same games for years. The problem is that Japanese gamers tend to like that and don't want anything new. We could compare it to shooters here. RPGs are Japan's shooters; they're what's popular, so they'll keep making them.

Posted by chilibean_3

@ashogo: Unless I misunderstand you, there is totally a difficulty setting. I'm playing on easy. But holy crap is Jeff on it with the visual novel description.

Posted by Adaurin

@ashogo: There is a difficulty option, but it's in the options menu that's only accessible from the Main Menu. They definitely coulde have made it more obvioud. I also wish you could increase the number of rounds in the story mode.

Posted by damswedon

@ashogo said:

@damswedon: I think you mean this thread?

Yeah, I did. Thanks.

Posted by NickTheZombie

This game looks quite impressive, but ultimately it makes me want that Persona 4 Vita release more than anything.

Posted by Phatmac

Really liking this game and the story mode so far. I still suck ass at this game. I mostly came for the story and it has delivered so far.

Posted by Chet_Rippo

Good to hear jeff likes it!

Posted by Guntank81

Game is definetly a must buy, it's not just your average fighting game it's actually good and even people who aren't into fighting games but love the persona RPG will enjoy this game since it's quite easy to get into.

Posted by Curufinwe

@dudeglove said:

OH FUCK GUYS JEFF GAVE A PERSONA 4 GAME LESS THAN 5

And nobody's upset.

Posted by phantomzxro

Color me surprised jeff gave persona 4 arena a good score!

Posted by eccentrix

I don't like fighting games, but I'd enjoy a Persona 4 visual novel. This seems alright for me.

Posted by shishkebab09

I've never played an Arc Systems game before, but I'm a huge Persona nut. My buddy has never played Persona, but is a huge Arc Systems nut. We just played a few rounds online for the first time, and were actually almost perfectly evenly matched. He had the advantage of being good at fighting games, and I had the advantage of knowing how each character should fight without having seen them in Arena before.

I'm blown away that the playing field was as level as it was. This perfectly sells what I love about this game: both Arc Systems and Atlus put a TON of work into their respective parts of the game, and it turned out beautiful.

Posted by Bigheart711

I got my copy yesterday. It's awesome as hell! I had a lot of fun playing P4Arena with the guys back at my college campus.

Posted by artofwar420

I like the P4 story, and I'm okay with a fighting game. I think I qualify.

Posted by katelyngadd

360 netcode is patched (patch went up a few hours ago). Fixes the second match issue, at least - if you get paired up with a player on a 56K modem it still runs awful. But you can at least play now.

Edited by Sooty

@vinsanityv22 said:

This is such a weird, such a Japanese thing...I am really curious to hear how it does, sales-wise, for Atlus. Arc's fighting games are niche (and, having played Blazblue, I can see why. Those characters are so nauseating), and Persona is niche. Is a combination of the two going to expand their audience, or grab just a fraction of it? I know that, in Japan at least, it's already BLOWN past expectations. But here in the West? I'm eager to see...

I think Atlus should stick to King of Fighters XIII, personally. I'm not fan of Japanese 2D fighters anymore - there are too many people like Arc and whoever makes Rumble Fish who make terrible, modern anime cliche characters and storylines. But KOF ain't bad. More importantly, why is no one making interesting new 3D fighters? I guess Platinum is making Mad Anarchy or whatever. But I seem to recall when Japanese teams were pumping out games like Fighting Vipers, Power Stone, Plasma Sword, Darkstalkers, Soul Blade, etc. Why are all these teams scared to innovate like they did in the late 90's/early 2000's? I suppose it's the same reason why western developers are intent on making fucking dogshit and calling them First Person Shooters nowadays - another genre noticeably less creative nowadays than those in the late 90's/early 00's.

Persona isn't that niche, 4 sold very well in the US and is even more popular in Japan. This game is getting a lot of positive attention in the fighting game community so it should sell pretty well.

It's not like Red Orchestra levels of niche for example.

Don't see why you're hating on Japanese fighting games, they still make the best and most competitive of the business. Whether you like the characters or not isn't really a big deal - or the story, the fact is Arc make good fighters with deep systems, as do Capcom and SNK. That hasn't stopped and probably isn't going to with a new Darkstalkers coming.

and come on, no fighting game truly has a good story. MK was pretty fleshed out but that was still an awful story.

Posted by mpgeist

Is it weird that I got a little choked up from the story mode? Tell me I'm not the only one, lol.

Posted by metalsnakezero

@mpgeist said:

Is it weird that I got a little choked up from the story mode? Tell me I'm not the only one, lol.

Your not the only one man, the story was that good.

Posted by kerse

@metalsnakezero said:

@mpgeist said:

Your not the only one man, the story was that good.

Yeah I just started Y...I mean Charlie's mode and I can't help but smiling constantly lol. What surprised me the most though is how much I didn't notice Chie's voice until she gets loud, when she's talking normally it sounds great.

Posted by Phatmac

@mpgeist: Elizabeth's ending got me chocked up so you're not the only one.

Posted by Fitzgerald

"I hurt my finger real bad..."

Posted by Elyk247

Looks like a really great fighting game. I can't wait till Christmas.

Edited by Matterman

@mijati: Seven fucking months later