90 Comments Refresh
  • 90 results
Posted by vividnova

Great!

Edited by MrMcJerk

My dog took a pic of herself!

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/mrmcjerk/all-images/52-493706/2105078-photo_00004/51-2105079/

Also, day 1 purchase.

Posted by Winternet

huh

Posted by dropabombonit

Sounds good, think I'm going to finish AC3 and then get this

Edited by Metal_Mills

Shame the PC version is having performance issues for a lot of people. :(

Posted by Fistfulofmetal

I played a bit of the PC version this morning and found the port to be pretty subpar compared to Hot Pursuit. Tons of framerate issues for no apparent reason. I have an i5, 16gbs of RAM and a GTX680 but seeing tons of drops when driving around. Really surprised.

Posted by zombie2011

I think if you're gonna make an open world game the open world should be interesting, nothing about this city looks interesting, it's just looks like a regular ass city.

Posted by Winternet

Well, guess I won't be playing any driving games this year.

Posted by Cincaid

Hopefully Criterion's next racing game will offer more fun for single players. Even more hopefully; a proper Burnout game.

Posted by deano546

What video card does Jeff have does anyone know? I've seen people complain about framerate issues with 680s.

Edited by Darthozzan

Runs fine(60 fps) after I turned off ambient occlusion, shadows and lowered the quality of reflections to medium on a 2500k and 560ti for what it's worth :P As someone who typically only plays single player in racing games I can't say I've been having a great time in NSF: Most Wanted... I'll keep playing it for a little while but I doubt it'll stick around, multiplayer racing just isn't my cup of tea for whatever reason ^^ That said I think the review is on point and the score is exactly what I would have given it too. And the soundtrack is awesome.

Posted by Begilerath

So which is better? Need for Speed: Most Wanted or Need for Speed: Most Wanted?

Edited by mcmax3000

As someone who always plays through all of the single player in Criterion's racing games, hearing that the single player in this isn't the greatest is kind of disappointing.

I'm still picking it up as soon as I possibly can this afternoon, and I'm sure I'll still push through all of the game, just like I do with all of their other games.

Also, the frame rate issues on 360 are disappointing, because Criterion is usually very good at having a stable frame rate.

Posted by NimbusLaw

@Begilerath: If you're a fan of the old "tuning era" of NFS the old MW is much more interesting and fun then this one, this NFS should be named NFS: Burnout x Ridge Racer.

Posted by sixpin

Between the frame rate issues on 360 and the lack of any real single-player content, I'll be skipping this one. This is really disappointing, as I was hoping to finally have a racing game to play that isn't a 5 year old Burnout game.

Edited by Niall_Sg1

@deano546 said:

What video card does Jeff have does anyone know? I've seen people complain about framerate issues with 680s.

He's said on a Podcast that he has a GTX 670

Posted by CptBedlam

@zombie2011 said:

I think if you're gonna make an open world game the open world should be interesting, nothing about this city looks interesting, it's just looks like a regular ass city.

That was already my problem with Burnout Paradise. I was a fan of Burnout 1-4 but driving in an open city was just not fun to me at all. I did like, however, the countryside open world of Criterion's Hot Pursuit with its awesome roads through spectacular landscapes. Needless to say, I'm currently in love with Forza Horizon for that reason.

Posted by rmanthorp

A lot of NFS feels. I'm still pickin this up over Forza.

Posted by FissionMailed10

Can't Wait to jump into the multiplayer, went back and played some paradise multiplayer the past few days, man i forgot how crazy fun some of those online challenges are.

Posted by BlatantNinja23

I just want to know how the vita version is

Posted by mlarrabee

That's a shame.

I never shared the love for Burnout Paradise--probably because I never had two dozen friends who played the game constantly--and I was hoping for an updated version of NFSHP, but it looks as though I'll have to wait a while longer for another racing game to hook me like Hot Pursuit did.

Maybe I'll finally try getting into my untouched, day-one purchase of Dirt 3...

Posted by whitespider

I have a i5 @5ghz (stable), two gtx 670's in SLI. Both overclocked to faster-than-stock 680's (although the game currently only uses 1 gpu). And the game is virtually unplayable for me.

In most games when you drop to 40fps, it feels a little less smooth. In this game there are specific sections that drop - like tunnels. And the game stutters when it drops to 50 or 40fps. In a game like this you simply cannot have a stuttery framerate. Dropping the important settings to medium and setting the reflections to low makes the fps a little more consistent - however it also eliminates a lot of the advantage of the pc version.

After playing the console version, the pc version (even on my system) might seem smooth in comparison. However since I can run every single game on my system WITHOUT stuttering framerates - then this makes this version a rare case.

In a sense, this is a worse port than dark souls. It might look prettier with dx11, however at least dark souls was consistent. This is not.

I hope this is patched soon. And I sincerely hope that jeff is playing some other version of the game .exe when he says it's smooth.

Posted by NipCrip66

Certainly didn't expect Forza Horizon to be the racing game of the year. I was expecting this to be fantastic. Looks like I'll be changing my Xmas wishlist then. :)

Edited by rbanke

I7 860 @ 3.8ghz, 8gb ram, SSD, gtx 680 and even with reflections and AO turned to medium, I can't even maitain 30fps most of the time. And many others are having issues also. So I'd say 'predictably the PC version has none of these issues' isn't accurate for many or maybe even most.

Posted by fooflighter737

Crappy framerate...have 2 GTX 580's SLI'd with the latest Beta Drivers...

Getting dips into the 40's...NOT GOOD CRITERION...NOT GOOD!!!!

Posted by kennybaese

Huh... I guess I'm a little unsure of this now. I don't have any friends who really play racing games, at least not arcade racers, so the single player component of this would be the selling point for me. Maybe I'll end up skipping this and picking up Horizon instead. This saddens me.

Posted by owen99

any word on the ps3 version? thought paradise ran slightly better on ps3, wonder if its the same with this.

Posted by Brodehouse

It sounds almost identical to Paradise and Hot Pursuit. Is this just a case of I Already Played Those? Was it that the stuff Criterion does was amazing in 2008 and 2010 but not in 2012?

Edited by JerichoBlyth

I think Most Wanted tries to emulate the success of Burnout Paridiso but ends up falling a little short.

When being pursued by the cops, it is extremely irritating during the cooldown period if you happen to clip a stray piece of scenery - you're back in their clutches again before you realise what the hell happened. Some of the things you can crash into definitively (those that activate the crash cam) just appear randomly at times, with absolutely no room or opportunity to maneuver.

It's not as smooth as Burnout Paradise was either, so it can be a little clunky and comes across as feeling a little ambitious at times.

There's also a strange blend of realism and arcade action that I couldn't help notice. The car handling is similar to that of a simulation racing game - yet....it's NFS Most Wanted...a chaotic driving game based in a stunt-heavy playground. Just felt a little odd.

It's a decent game but I feel Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise were a lot better.

Posted by Spookie

@kennyshat said:

Huh... I guess I'm a little unsure of this now. I don't have any friends who really play racing games, at least not arcade racers, so the single player component of this would be the selling point for me. Maybe I'll end up skipping this and picking up Horizon instead. This saddens me.

Having played both that seems a good call.

Edited by MatthewMeadows

Great review Jeff, but I really wished that you'd have checked the frame-rate on the PS3 version, especially considering that it isn't an either/or with Forza like it is for 360 owners (I do have a 360 but it's at my parents').

Even just putting the disc in and maybe giving it a run through for a half hour just to sign off on it. Ah well.

Posted by coperoco

The extreme rubberbanding killed this game for me. It´s way overdone.. I don´t know why we have to put up with that crap in arcade racers.. It´s just lazy design. If you have to cheat that much to make your races "interesting and exciting" you end up making them "boring and frustrating".

Posted by MildMolasses

a little disappointing since the reason I loved The last criterion nfs game was the single player. Maybe I'll skip this and pick up Forza Horizon instead

Posted by radion_null

Here I was hoping Jeff would review the PS3 version as it "crossplays" with the Vita version. I actually wanted to see if that was a good selling point. But oh well!

Posted by beard_of_zeus

@Spookie said:

@kennyshat said:

Having played both that seems a good call.

Yeah, this is pretty much the conclusion I came to. I was pretty excited for Most Wanted, but if the single-player is lackluster, I might just pass on this until it's cheap. Plus the framerate issues sound like a bummer on the console version, which is where I would be playing it. There will probably be a Black Friday deal, I'll wait until then.

Forza it is!

Posted by radion_null

Then again, the whole crossplay applies to 360 as well according to his review, so i guess my statement/requested is nullified.

Edited by Bourbon_Warrior

@rbanke said:

I7 860 @ 3.8ghz, 8gb ram, SSD, gtx 680 and even with reflections and AO turned to medium, I can't even maitain 30fps most of the time. And many others are having issues also. So I'd say 'predictably the PC version has none of these issues' isn't accurate for many or maybe even most.

Seems Nvidia has to update their drivers... Looks great on AMD cards.

Posted by wrecks

Damn. Wanted another single-player burnout. Looks like this ain't it.

Edited by ucankurbaga

Word of warning to everyone thinking to buy this game. (If you already bought like me I feel sorry for you):

I appreciate Jeff's enthusiasm against this game but it doesn't really deserve 4 star hell even 3.

- Bad car handling

- Poor PC optimization

- No sense of progression

- The cops and most wanted list seems pointless

- No cutscenes or characterization of most wanted list like in previous game

- No visual upgrades for cars

I am really suprised its getting high scores all around. I guess people felt sorry for EA after bashing MoH Warfighter to the ground and gave this game good score to make up for it...

Posted by Demoskinos

I'll be the obligatory troll and post. *ahem* LOL FORZA > NFS:MW

Edited by fooflighter737

@ucankurbaga: Ditto on all counts...

Really disappointed so far...

This should have gotten 3 stars

Posted by Phatmac

Can't wait to do some sick loops with some duders!

Edited by Vextroid
@rbanke said:

Man it's a bummer to hear the issues of the PC version. Considering how good Paradise was on the PC. My crappy laptop could run it 60+ everything high (except SSAO) at 720p. (Albiet that game wasn't very demanding as it ditched flashier effects for stability but still) EDIT: Also Hot Pursuit was good too (not on my laptop though :P)

That coupled with the Burnout Paradise-Lite SP (meaning it's not enough like BP) I think I'm going to rescind my day 1 purchase.
Posted by graboids

Man, I have been so excited for this game, and skipped Horizon for this because I loved Paradise and NFS HP, and really dont have time for 2 racing games at once. But this review has me second guessing now, not because Forza scored better but because a lot of the issues he had with it were exactly what I didn't want to hear. SP is what I would spend most of my time doing... another example of why I should stop preordering games I guess... but they keep sucking me back in with preorder bonuses.

Posted by ripelivejam

@Begilerath said:

So which is better? Need for Speed: Most Wanted or Need for Speed: Most Wanted?

with no hesitation i would say Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

Posted by bigsmoke77

@graboids: Yeah Im in the same boat. First world problems are the worst!!!

Posted by sixpin

@graboids: Same here. I'll be canceling my pre-order when I go in to pick up Assassin's Creed 3. Might pick up Forza Horizon when it gets cheaper.

Posted by stewy

Criterion's last big open-world game was Hot Pursuit, not Paradise...right?

Posted by MagusMaleficus

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on Forza Horizon instead of waiting for this. I'll still get this one but probably not until the price drops a good bit.

Posted by pyide

Is it true the PC version supports 12 players online compared to console's 8? I've only seen it mentioned in a few places prior to launch.

• 90 results