273 Comments
Edited by Fincher7

The controls are awful, regardless of what camera settings you change.

Posted by snakeking

What the hell happen, how could they possibly fawk this up??? This game was more of a chore to complete than fun, I couldn't continue playing this garbage so I returned it without finishing the third campaign or the secret campaign.. I'm a big fan of the series and I didn't really mind if it no longer had that survival horror, puzzle gameplay, I'm fine with that. My biggest problem was the gameplay mechanics and story, Here's my pros and cons:

Pros: cool dodging/moving/positioning shooting techniques they implanted.

Cons: The QTE was frustrating. story was boring and uninteresting. A Game that was suppose to feel like a shooter didn't quite execute well when your constanly low on ammo and basically force to melee all the time. The lighting was horrible. Not knowing if ur damaging an enemy. Too long of a chapter/level. The skill sytem replacing upgrades and buying equipment.

Posted by Snakepond

I know I am going against the grain over here, but I just finished the game and I kind of liked it. There are some problems here and there and yes the horror aspect of the game is gone, but it is still a fun game. I think 2 out 5 is a little tough, but that's my opinion. Peace.

Posted by ezio_auditore

in my opinion this is a good game, better than RE5, more horror, more characters, better IA and better gameplay.

Edited by Curufinwe

I've played 12 chapters now and can say that this is very misleading. The aiming and shooting are fluid, especially if you get the cheap Lock On skill, the laser sight works as well as it did in RE 4 and RE 5, and projectile and melee attacks both do obvious and satisfying damage to the enemies.

"The character movement is awkward, the aiming and shooting are stiff, and your basic interactions with enemies feel unresponsive and grossly unsatisfying. With a laser sight that swims around wildly within the targeting reticle and enemies that sometimes feel like bullets are passing right through them, the shooting makes a lousy first impression."

Posted by shellbelle2

This game isnt as bad as the guys from GB played it out to be on the podcast..I have actually enjoyed it...EXCEPT.....FOR FUCKS SAKE....i agree...WORST FUCKING CLIMBING puzzle IN GAMING HISTORY...PERIOD...my god...im about to give up....

Posted by Supertom11

@LiquidPrince: I didn't have much trouble with the rope climb but I attribute that to Brad and Patrick detailing out how exactly to do it. Most people, like my friend, tried to simply push R1, L1, R1, L1 as the prompt shows. But in actuality you need to hold down both shoulder buttons and alternate releasing them.

And it's one thing for a boss to take multiple forms in one grand battle, it's another for it to repeatedly come back over and over with basically the same strategy every time (except for the final, final, final battle) which basically boils down to, shoot it in the face. When something comes back from being shot, blown up, run over (by a train!), drowned, stabbed, and falling from a high-rise it's just plain stupid that it can be finally killed by, *SPOILERS*, a big spike. Every time it came back it made the previous battle seem utterly pointless.

So aside from all that nonsense, the poor item management, and bad online components (not being able to invite someone mid game), for some strange reason the game is still fun.

Posted by capthavic

@Grognard66 said:

I think Brad and too many other reviewers have fallen into the trap of reviewing a game based on their expectations rather than what the game actually is. While it's fair to point out in the review if a game in a series is a serious departure in style/story/gameplay from previous entries, it should not result in a score deduction. Every game should be reviewed on it's own individual merits.

I have always found that to be one of those cop-out arguments that people make. When a game is (supposed) to be part of an established franchise then it's pretty much impossible to NOT have some kind of expectations. If Capcom wanted to make an action third person shooter that's fine, but don't shoehorn it into a series well known for survival horror.

But the big problem is even if you can ignore the title and look at is as just another action game, it's still pretty crap. It tries to appeal to everyone by having every modern gaming trope, every over the top action cliche, that it fails to do any of them well at the cost of any identity of it's own...becoming this sub par, unpolished grey sludge of mediocrity. If it weren't for the title this would be just another generic "me too!" game you'd find in the bargain bin.

You can try to excuse it's faults and say that it's good if you look at it on its own, but you can't. We live in a world where you can name anything RE6 does and I can name at least a half dozen current or even older games that do it better! There is simply no reason to play RE6 when there are so much better choices and probably cheaper too.

Posted by Arestice

Brad is bad at video games, I attribute his difficulty to adapt to the game to that. I am enjoy it thoroughly, there is a lot more shooting going on this game which I think most people don't like but I don't really mind. Never had any time where scripted chase scenes didn't already reverse my camera as he says in, " it goes out of its way to make sure you know to push the stick down and hold the A button every time you need to run toward the camera through a barely-interactive scripted chase scene."

I do find the sprint mechanic to be strange, I have a hard time controlling my character during that, I don't push exactly forward on my analog stick so I end up running into things which left me not using sprint most of the time.

Posted by AxleBro

@JDW519 said:

This game is getting trashed by almost every person that plays, I don't understand how sites like IGN have given it decent reviews, definitely need to play it now just to see how bad it is

It's called paying for scores, it's why Jeff was fired from gamespot. anyone who thinks this doesn't really happen is naive as fuck.

Posted by LiquidPrince

@Supertom11 said:

@NTM: Well, I finished the Leon Campaign last night with the same friend. After the cable climb and the 7th incarnation of the "final" boss, we were both about to throw our controllers out the window.

I think it's flat out insanity that anyone had any issues whatsoever with the rope climb. It literally took like 10 seconds, and I didn't fail even once... R1, L1, R1, L1... I mean what? Hasn't anyone held a controller before, or played the myriad of other games that did this exact same thing? Also, who cares if the final boss shows up a bunch...? It's not like he is in the same form every time... He shows up as a different form, with different locations and different strategies to beat him. Just imagine it's like 7 different bosses.

Posted by Supertom11

@NTM: Well, I finished the Leon Campaign last night with the same friend. After the cable climb and the 7th incarnation of the "final" boss, we were both about to throw our controllers out the window.

Posted by Jost1

I don't understand the criticism. I haven't experienced any of the issues that Brad has. None. Controls are fine, aiming is fine. I don't get it?

Posted by BFZ

Oh man this hurts so much being that my wife and I are such big RE fans. I'll probably wind up playing when it hits the bargain bin, which might not be too far off....

Posted by Metal_Mills
@britxmenyuan said:

I think ppl in Japan think otherwise, Famitsu just gave the game a 39, nearly perfect score.

Hahahaha. Famitsu gets paid to give high reviews, flat out paid. They gave Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2 nearly the same score.
Posted by MikkaQ

@Grognard66 said:

I think Brad and too many other reviewers have fallen into the trap of reviewing a game based on their expectations rather than what the game actually is. While it's fair to point out in the review if a game in a series is a serious departure in style/story/gameplay from previous entries, it should not result in a score deduction. Every game should be reviewed on it's own individual merits.

Well it would seem a lot of the praise these very same reviewers gave RE4 would indicate that a serious departure can lead to a massive bump in scores too, so it seem very fair to me. The difference was RE4 was different in a good way, while this is just different in a bad way. RE4 was a trailblazer, RE6 is stumbling in the shadows of better games that do the same things.

Posted by advent_crash

So I have played every Resident Evil game and have been a fan of the franchise and there have been games I loved, hated, or somewhere in between. I also write reviews for a website and while I'm not reviewing the game, I have played Resident Evil 6 from beginning to end and I must say this game is not in any way broken. There are as many problems as you would find in RE5. I experienced none of the problems mentioned in this review and I felt like some parts were flat out lies (such as the game teaching to heal partners is the first thing the game teaches you in the tutorial). I never had any kind of hit detection problems And I have finished all if the campaigns. Now the game isn't perfect, it does have problems but 2 stars seems like an extreme. The game should at least pull a 3 but my own personal taste is a 4. The Leon campaign and Jake campaign were both a lot of fun to me and we'll worth playing through as a RE fan. It's unfortunate where people are falling on this game but all I can say is I really enjoyed my time with it and experienced none of the problems mentioned in the review so I think for an RE fan (especially if you love 5) this game is worth playing.

Posted by HyperionXR

I respectfully disagree with this and all other negative reviews of this game. It has very minor issues in an otherwise very solid and enjoyable high production game. I am just not experiencing what these reviewers are saying is there. I've had nothing but fun with RE6.

Edited by NTM

@Supertom11 said:

I played about 2 hours co-op last night. It's not nearly as bad as I expected after hearing Brad and Patrick's rants. Maybe my opinion will change 10-15 hours in but my friend and I both had a lot of fun as we did with RE5.

Trust me, it won't get any worse, but it probably won't get any better. If you enjoy it from the start to a few hours in, you'll most likely enjoy the entire thing. I really like the game, but I wish the minor problems it has were fixed, and yes, I said minor, because I think the things he stated are minor problems. There are quite a few of them, but with this game, it doesn't add up to something I don't want to play. I've already gone through it, and I'm going to do so again with the other characters, it's fun.

Posted by artofwar420

Can't wait to read this after work, thanks Brad!

Posted by CptBedlam

@Grognard66 said:

It seems there's a game or two every year where the reviewers (who all tweet/email each other during pre-release gaming sessions for review) create a positive or negative vicious spiral in their small, insular community which skews the scores one way or the other. It's a shame, because some people will be dissuaded from even trying this game who probably would have liked it and developers/publishers will continue to shy away from creating lengthy, ambitious games because of these situations.

Great point, and therefore quoted.

Edited by AndyAce83

Resident Evil 6 is an adrenaline ride of epic proportions. Its very hard! But so has all RE games been (at least in the beginning, then we get weapon upgrades etc). Negativ Nancies will not like this game, as at least four times the character cannot run, so that makes the entire game "bad". I have not had so much fun as playing this game, with its extremely long boss battles and frustratingly vague controls, and then we have co-op. Co-op is EFFING AMAZING! I can not brag enough about this game. Also loving the non PC story line.

Its clear that Brad doesnt know what he is talking about.

Posted by britxmenyuan

I think ppl in Japan think otherwise, Famitsu just gave the game a 39, nearly perfect score.

Posted by mrpandaman

@Grognard66 said:

Brad, and others, have many valid complaints and this is hardly a brilliant game, but it is also not a horribly broken game; which a 2 star/40% score indicates. It's a solid third-person shooter, with exceptional value, some truly inspired set pieces and better-than-average production values. It's also a game that relies too much on QTE's and jarring camera-positional changes coming out of those QTE's and a few janky issues. However, Skyrim also demonstrated exceptional value with a plethora of bugs/jankiness and every reviewer was willing to overlook those issues. (I think Skyrim is a far superior game, but the point remains that it was almost unplayable at launch depending on what system you played it on and this was not reflected in scores).

It seems there's a game or two every year where the reviewers (who all tweet/email each other during pre-release gaming sessions for review) create a positive or negative vicious spiral in their small, insular community which skews the scores one way or the other. It's a shame, because some people will be dissuaded from even trying this game who probably would have liked it and developers/publishers will continue to shy away from creating lengthy, ambitious games because of these situations. They can make just as much money off an iPhone game without nearly the same level of scrutiny and grief - just ask Epic Games.

Reviews are opinions, but I fail to see a case in any 40% review of this game which warrants that score and the scores are not consistent with other 40% games within the same websites. This game is not a Duke Nukem debacle - not even close - but according to Giant Bomb they are comparable.

With a franchise, I don't think you can really do that. Whatever sequel comes next in the franchise will almost always be compared to the last game. A departure of game play/story/style elements doesn't always result in a score reduction, in RE6 it did, because as the review stated there are problems at the core of the game play. However, with the switch up of style/game play/ story in RE4 there was no score reduction, actually it was highly praised.

Also, if you're going to go down the route of not comparing games and reviewing on individual merit, then do the same for reviews. A 2/5 review does equate with another 2/5. You're also looking at different reviewers for games and at the end of the day the actual score of the game doesn't matter nearly as much as the text of the actual review.

Many reviewers were able to overlook the many problems and issues of Skyrim, because at the core, the game play and the mechanics were still very good. Brad and many other reviewers have stated that there are fundamental problems with the game play of RE6. As Patrick stated on the last Bombcast, a game can be carried by solid game play mechanics even if the graphics aren't so great or the story isn't so good, his example was Tokyo Jungle.

Posted by BBQBram

I have a new-found respect for RE5. Oh well, I picked up RE4 HD instead.

Posted by Grognard66

Brad, and others, have many valid complaints and this is hardly a brilliant game, but it is also not a horribly broken game; which a 2 star/40% score indicates. It's a solid third-person shooter, with exceptional value, some truly inspired set pieces and better-than-average production values. It's also a game that relies too much on QTE's and jarring camera-positional changes coming out of those QTE's and a few janky issues. However, Skyrim also demonstrated exceptional value with a plethora of bugs/jankiness and every reviewer was willing to overlook those issues. (I think Skyrim is a far superior game, but the point remains that it was almost unplayable at launch depending on what system you played it on and this was not reflected in scores).

It seems there's a game or two every year where the reviewers (who all tweet/email each other during pre-release gaming sessions for review) create a positive or negative vicious spiral in their small, insular community which skews the scores one way or the other. It's a shame, because some people will be dissuaded from even trying this game who probably would have liked it and developers/publishers will continue to shy away from creating lengthy, ambitious games because of these situations. They can make just as much money off an iPhone game without nearly the same level of scrutiny and grief - just ask Epic Games.

Reviews are opinions, but I fail to see a case in any 40% review of this game which warrants that score and the scores are not consistent with other 40% games within the same websites. This game is not a Duke Nukem debacle - not even close - but according to Giant Bomb they are comparable.

Posted by Elfen

Brad's points are all valid. If you want to play an exceptional RE game, play RE4. RE6 is a game to play for some gory eye candy that fills the seasonal ambiance. Get excited for Dead Space 3!

Posted by Supertom11

I played about 2 hours co-op last night. It's not nearly as bad as I expected after hearing Brad and Patrick's rants. Maybe my opinion will change 10-15 hours in but my friend and I both had a lot of fun as we did with RE5.

Edited by Purple_eye

Oh well. Guess i'll go through RE4 again and maybe buy RE6 when it's cheap.

Edited by liquidsol

If Resident Evil 6 was not called Resident Evil 6, and if Final Fantasy XIII was not called Final Fantasy XIII, they would both have slightly higher scores. Because as stand alone products, they are not bad.

I used to use that as an argument, but at this point, I understand the letdown. Even if you take away the sense of entitlement, or nostalgia... as gamers who played in the 00s, the 90s and even the 80s, we deserve sequels that are better than the originals, or at least as good. The same applies to the Star Wars sequels for many people, and that's why Brad made a good analogy using it as an example.

Posted by KikReask

Holy crap. Granted Resident Evil 5 wasn't as good as 4 but that didn't mean it was bad. I think I'll wait for the price to drop on this one and just get Revelations instead.

Hey it could be worse. Instead of a game going over the same unispired crap that used to be good it could be a movie going over the same uninspired crap that has never been good.

Posted by Skeetlejuice

good review.

all you people personally upset that you can't purchase the game with the 9/10 words ringing in your ears and want take out your rage at brad and others, need to recognize one thing. You are free to Waste your money as you choose.

I for one will go and replay 4 when i'm feeling a need for RE, and i have Dead Space sitting on my shelf to finish at some point. I plan on scaring my girlfriend with them. I will say it's a shame though that Capcom seem to be out of touch, hopefully they will see why this game is a disapointment to many.

Posted by Artik_Skarab

The game may have a couple of problems, but that won't mean that it is a bad game for everyone; it just means you weren't personnaly a fan of it. For my part, I will rent the game to see if I am inclined to play it further and will then decide if the game is for me

Posted by Jared

Excellent review Brad. Its really too bad that this game turned out to be so bad. Hopefully Capcom has taken note of these bad reviews and can release a gold edition of the game that fixes the game.

Posted by the_r0n1n_named_47

I disagree with Brad that this is a bad game...... but at least this is a WAY better review than Gamespot's and G4's reviews of RE6.

Posted by amir90

So Brad has watched Red Letter Medias review of the Star Wars prequels. :D

Edited by Nerolus

Giraffe blowjob, and that's all I've got to say about that.

Posted by Ghostiet

@mister1337 said:

I knew after you guys got bought by GameSpot it would only be a matter of time before you sold out...

Can I borrow you? I'm fixing a roof and every tool would help.

Posted by crcruz3

@ManMadeGod said:

@mortal_sb said:

this is probably a pretty well written review, but man, i checked in word: 2700 words and almost 4 pages. that's just too long. three times the length in comparison to the joystiq review. a review shouldn't be a short story.

i know GB loves to do long and elaborate reviews, but i would prefer if they would review 2-3 games more and write reviews that are only (at max) half als long as these.

I disagree. As someone who looks at reviews from a purchasing decision standpoint I don't want the writers holding back information be it good or bad. If a review needs to be 4 pages long then so be it.

You are right. Complete info, please. Great review, Brad. I'm going to play the demo and check it for myself as I loved RE4 and RE5...

Posted by crcruz3

@kerse: I hate QTE. The only more or less justified use of it I saw was in Mass Effect 3.

Posted by hagridore

Jumped back into the RE6 demo with a full understanding of how it plays (& w/ tweaked settings) and found it poor to tolerable. Never enjoyable & never a horror game.

Posted by JackSukeru

Well, at least that giraffe-man seem to be having a good time.

Posted by FrankieFigs

Damn.....that sucks.

Posted by SockLobster

@TheChaos said:

@Korolev said:

Oh ho! You are in for a shit-storm of negative comments Mr. Shoemaker! Be warned!

Why? This game is so garbage I doubt even the diehard RE fans could bring themselves to defend it.

Because it really isn't, it's average at worst, it's just quite divisive because it has systems that aren't explained well while also being quite a lot more fast paced than previous entries. With patience and a read through of the (stupidly I'll admit) online-only manual, you can appreciate the game's new systems a lot more. Brad is just taking his frustrations out on the game, causing him to nitpick things that have been prevalent in the series for a long time. Yes the underlying action has a less deliberate feel, but it allows for a lot more freedom of movement and as such a very frenetic pace to the combat. It was perhaps the fault of the people that complained about Resident Evil 5's lack of movement-while-aiming that caused this response from Capcom.

You need only look at Brad's review of Lost Planet 2 to see that he just doesn't go for games with bad instructional systems. Or just to see that he always reviews co op games with the shitty ai companions, which I guess is endemic of playing games before release.

TL;DR: The diehard RE fans are busy playing this game while everyone else bashes it.

Edited by durden77

Solid review Brad.

I still am really liking the game so far though. Playing it in co-op and having a lot of fun. I can for sure understand why some people might not agree with it, but I just don't understand some of the raw hate it's getting. I think people just really want to see Capcom's head on a stick right now.

Posted by Pseudonymous

Still like roaming mansions with fixed cameras way more.

I hate the over the shoulder camera, Or any 3rd person shooter for that matter.

This just seems like a very very very dumbed down version of a great game.

I hate when they change a game so much it falls into the "fun for all" or "fun for none" category.

I'm old school, and was playing these games while most of you were just a dirty thought in your father head.

Games of today are kinda like fast-food... good to eat in a pinch, But no real long term benefits just fat really...

Posted by Heavenly_King

For me this game is awesome!! Why care about reviews when you´╗┐ can make your own opinion based on the demo and gameplay trailers. Reviews are always going to be biased whether people do it intentionally or not.

The complete game is a lot better than the demos. The graphics are better, the camera is not as close as in the demo, controls and animations are more responsive. You should rent it at least, and if you like it, you should buy it!

Posted by TheChaos

@Korolev said:

Oh ho! You are in for a shit-storm of negative comments Mr. Shoemaker! Be warned!

Why? This game is so garbage I doubt even the diehard RE fans could bring themselves to defend it.

Posted by bvilleneuve

Brad shows his shameful ethnocentrism once again. What he calls broken gameplay systems and nonsensical plot progressions are both just cultural artifacts, valued differently in the glorious Land of the Rising Sun. I wouldn't expect a gaijin like him to understand. Hopefully Giant Bomb can eventually rise above its racism...

Seriously though Brad, great review. You do a great job of explaining exactly what the trajectory of the Resident Evil games has been for me. I loved Resident Evil 4, but then when I tried to play RE5, I found I just couldn't make it do what I wanted it to do. I'd imagine if I jumped into RE6 I'd have an experience like RE5 was for me but worse.