273 Comments
Edited by iAmJohn

@DrWhat said:

Okay, if this wasn't one star, you have to retire the one star rating.

Dude, go read, like, any of the one star reviews. It's pretty obvious that they save the single star for games that are actively broken and/or fundamentally abhorrent.

Relatedly, has anyone else seen the Resident Evil 6 TV commercial? It's really strange and melodramatic, almost like they're trying to have their own "Mad World" without spending the money to use anything but the in-game cutscenes and it comes off incredibly muddled. It makes me feel like Capcom really has no idea how to sell the game. Fitting, I suppose.

Posted by jerseyscum

Ouch.

Posted by Fram

Say what you will about the "I Love Mondays" and bombcast RE6 talk - this piece shows why Brad is the man. Seriously, dude is one of the best reviewers out there IMO.

#teambrad #yotb #yearofthebrad

Posted by TheHumanDove

Thanks OBAMA

Posted by Amaru25

what brad forgot to mention was that the game is actually good because of reasons.

Posted by DrWhat

Okay, if this wasn't one star, you have to retire the one star rating.

Posted by RecSpec

My siblings and I were able to struggle through Operation Raccoon City. It wasn't really fun at any point. But we were able to keep going forward until we finally beat it. 

With RE6 we don't have any motivation to keep playing. Which is pretty damn insane, and depressing. I want to finish it eventually, but jeez

Edited by Yummylee

Yeah, RE6's story is of little consequence by the end of it, which is what especially left me disappointed. I had hoped that it would finally wrap up the one remaining thread left established by the older fiction that is the Leon and Ada arc. But no, it pretty much leaves it right where it was left in the very beginning! The fact that they didn't just MGS4 this un and bring back everybody in some capacity was such a let down at that... As weird as it is, it's the story that I was really rooting for up to release.

The way so much unexplored history and character development is delegated to out-of-the-way files in ''Special Features'' is also insane! The story is significantly more intriguing once some more of the blanks are filled up; it's not an ideal tale, but it could have been something much more enjoyable if they managed to work in all of stuff they've described within the unlockables file. Jake's history, the relationship between Derek and Ada, The Family, and so on.

The implication that Jake Muller is to potentially be the series' new leading man also troubles me... But who knows if they'll actually carry on with the current canon of the series. It's now more than ever in dire need of a reboot as the varying tones and types of gameplay are all so scattershot and it's obvious they currently don't have a clear goal in mind with what the Hell to do with the series.

Posted by ninjalegend

Man, that stinks.

Resident Evil - Shinji Mikami eventually = RE6

Ninja Gaiden - Tomonobu Itagaki = Ninja Gaiden 3

I don't think developers should continue a series of an IP right away once one of the main visionaries that helped create it leaves. They should take better care of their IP, making sure they have a lead that truly understands what makes the series special in the first place.

Posted by lordofultima

@jasius said:

So its Aliens 3 of gaming?

You shut up, Alien 3 was great. It took a lot of the tension of alien, and some action from aliens.

Posted by Lurkero

To be fair, I would have rated Resident Evil 5 a 2/5 and I had a lot of fun playing that game in co-op. I am assuming I will have less fun with RE6, but I will most likely still have fun.

@Sooty said:

The worst thing about RE6 is that people will now look back on 5 as if it was actually a good game.

All you need to do is read Brad's RE5 review for that.

Posted by nimbil

Wow, I had a completely different experience to Brad with the mechanics. I love them. I actually had to set it to Hard for it to be a challenge. I must admit the QTE are oddly placed.

I'm so over the the regurgitation of 3rd and 1st person shooters and it's good to see Resident Evil 6 freshen it up with the awesome dodging mechanics.

Posted by Brad

@bybeach said:

@BATMANBATMAN85 said:

I was really expecting a one start here... I think Brad like this game!

I like this logic...and of course w/out any experience of this franchise at all, I keep hearing about RES4 and for what it did, RES 5. I was half expecting one star also.

The only comment I have to make of my own is at least some of the artwork, the little that I saw during the QL and that first picture, where Brad is describing a negative in his review. It looks rather...good! Nice lighting. I'm sure his point is valid, but that is a effective screen-grab.

Yeah, if the frame rate was steadier this would be a fine-looking game. I bet it will look great on PC.

Staff
Posted by FoxMulder

At least they got this one out early in the end of the year game rush. Now you'll be able to hopefully enjoy the rest of the good looking games this year!

Edited by stryker1121

Too many cooks spoil the broth. RE6 is what happens when you try to appeal to everyone who's played a video game in life. Not shocking that cemetery crawls and by God fighter jet sequences (in a Resi game!!) don't mix very well. What's very disappointing is that RE6 is unable to get those sections right from even a basic gameplay standpoint. Capcom needs to hand the franchise off to another dev for a complete wipe and reboot.

And save your cries that the series is "evolving." The series that started going downhill at RE5 has further "devolved" due to ridiculous industry standards of what sells and how many units need to sell to make a title a success. Christ, not everyone wants a Hollywood hand-holdy action game when there's dozens of similar games available annually.

Edited by AjayRaz

i'm sorry, brad.

Posted by jonano

Well it seems like those guys at Capcom should of just copied Dead Space and not Gears . Dead Space's combat is basically an evolution of RE 4's combat that works really well ,it's exciting , it was able to create a good bit of tension and it came out 4 years ago!

Posted by Hef

@Gunharp said:

@Vitor said:

@Winternet said:

@Gunharp said:

said:

"...what must have been one of the most expensive productions in video game history."

Can anyone confirm this? Curious as to what the estimated budget is.

I would think Too Human and APB are still the kings of this category Brad puts RE6 into. Also I am not defending RE6, will probably check it out next year when I have the free time. What a divisive game.

The Old Republic must be the new king on the expensive-production-department. L.A. Noire must also be up there.

Yeah, but those two aren't categorically held up as examples of bad games. Not to everyone's taste maybe but they still did well critically.

Too Human and APB flopped both commercially and critically.

Yes, what Vintor said :)

GT5 son

Posted by bigstrat2003

@neoepoch said:

I'd say the Stars Wars prequels are way better than this game. Take that as you will.

I think the Star Wars prequels are good, and I don't care how many people disagree. Episode 3 was by far the best in the series, and even episode 1 (the worst in the series) was still a fun-ass movie.

Posted by Hockeymask27

The girl is totally going down on the giraffe.

Posted by MiniPato

@Brad said:

Yeah, FF13's biggest problem is pacing. If they had condensed the first 20 hours into about three, I would have loved it.

Did you ever go back to XIII-2? It's actually really good. Made significant gameplay improvements, but a step back in story cause you don't really care at all about the protagonists.

Posted by Gunharp

@Vitor said:

@Winternet said:

@Gunharp said:

said:

"...what must have been one of the most expensive productions in video game history."

I would think Too Human and APB are still the kings of this category Brad puts RE6 into. Also I am not defending RE6, will probably check it out next year when I have the free time. What a divisive game.

The Old Republic must be the new king on the expensive-production-department. L.A. Noire must also be up there.

Yeah, but those two aren't categorically held up as examples of bad games. Not to everyone's taste maybe but they still did well critically.

Yes, what Vintor said :)

Posted by MormonWarrior

This is so disappointing...RE4 is easily in my top ten games of all time and very special to me (I also found it absolutely terrifying the first time through, scarier than any of the previous games - to each their own) and RE5 really got its hooks into me even though I didn't like it nearly as much as 4. I almost considered going for an S rank but it was just too much.

I won't be picking this up. I've been playing the supposedly disappointing Revelations on my 3DS XL and it's not great. If that's better than 6, I'm gonna stay far, far away.

Posted by DanTheGamer32

I enjoy RE6, at least it's not as awful and busted as ORC *shudders*

Edited by Tru3_Blu3

I guess this is karma for sticking a dildo up Mega Man's ass and kicking him out of his household.

Posted by bybeach

@BATMANBATMAN85 said:

I was really expecting a one start here... I think Brad like this game!

I like this logic...and of course w/out any experience of this franchise at all, I keep hearing about RES4 and for what it did, RES 5. I was half expecting one star also.

The only comment I have to make of my own is at least some of the artwork, the little that I saw during the QL and that first picture, where Brad is describing a negative in his review. It looks rather...good! Nice lighting. I'm sure his point is valid, but that is a effective screen-grab.

Posted by Brad

@Ravelle said:

@ildon said:

@Oni said:

Shocker!

Also, tied with FF13 for "most lavishly produced bad game"

FF13 has good combat. Once you get to play it 30 hours in.

I loved FF13.

Yeah, FF13's biggest problem is pacing. If they had condensed the first 20 hours into about three, I would have loved it.

Staff
Posted by Ravelle

@ildon said:

@Oni said:

Shocker!

I loved FF13.

Posted by Enigma777

I'm sorry Brad. I'm so sorry.

Posted by genericHenle

I played through the Leon and Chris campaigns over the past two days. Don't even want to touch Jake's. Already burnt out on it.

Posted by NickL

@Brad said:

@mortal_sb said:

this is probably a pretty well written review, but man, i checked in word: 2700 words and almost 4 pages. that's just too long. three times the length in comparison to the joystiq review. a review shouldn't be a short story.

i know GB loves to do long and elaborate reviews, but i would prefer if they would review 2-3 games more and write reviews that are only (at max) half als long as these.

If you think the writing is the lengthiest part of the review process, you're badly mistaken.

I really want to know what world lives in that he thinks writing a shorter review would open up time for reviewing 2-3 more games.

Posted by MonkeyKing1969

It seems like the people on this site are on balance accepting of this review on face value ....which is nice for a change. Some people like it, some people don't, and most people seem willing to wait until it is inexpensive enough to pick up on a lark.

Posted by Cobra_Kai

@neoepoch said:

I'd say the Stars Wars prequels are way better than this game. Take that as you will.

You know what I`m going to take that,and I`m going to take that to heart, and that`s pretty special, coming from a guy who strangles jarjar to death in his dreams, on the reg,also I would yell at george lucas if I ever met him, more on that later.

Posted by Vitor

@Winternet said:

@Gunharp said:

said:

Posted by Encephalon

Dry those tears, Brad. It's over. You did it.

Posted by ildon

@Oni said:

Shocker!

Posted by zyn

With the team that CAPCOM put on this, shows that this game is a joke.

Posted by konig_kei

Now Mr shoemaker, would you kindly make a video review like the gamespot one you did where you seemed bored out of your mind.

Posted by FourWude

There's gonna be so much hurt butts in this thread.

Posted by 24thDoor

@Jost1 said:

@Sooty: RE5 was a good game. It may not have been to your taste but it's polished, it does what it sets out to do, its only flaw is that is doesn't really do anything NEW. Now if you want to say you don't LIKE it, that's fine. But it is not a bad game.

Well... only flaw if you don't count the mind-blowing racism.

Posted by cthomer5000

@mortal_sb said:

this is probably a pretty well written review, but man, i checked in word: 2700 words and almost 4 pages. that's just too long. three times the length in comparison to the joystiq review. a review shouldn't be a short story.

i know GB loves to do long and elaborate reviews, but i would prefer if they would review 2-3 games more and write reviews that are only (at max) half als long as these.

How does this make sense? If you were to make a pie chart of reviewing RE6, how much time do you think is devoted to playing the game vs writing the review?

This is a site that thrives on long-form opinion I have no idea why anyone would want to come here for shorter reviews or opinions of any sort.

Posted by MiniPato

Prepare thine anus, Mr. Shoemaker.

Haters are coming.

Posted by DavoTron

Better play Shadows Of The Damned again!

Edited by BlueWolverine

@kerse: Horror is a very subjective term. What you find scary might not scare others, the same goes for the other way.

Posted by bennyboy

I was expecting a 1 star review from all of the complaints on the bombcast/i love mondays/quick look.

Posted by HyperionXR

@Plipster: So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit overall. The aiming was kind of questionable at first but I got used to it, and the skill upgrades helped. It's not scary and the QTE's are a bit much as well, but honestly, overall, I do really like it.

Posted by Plipster

I liked it fine. Not as good as 4 or 5. But I loved both and thought this was OK. Just Ok, but still...

Posted by Winternet

@Gunharp said:

said:

Posted by CakeBomb
@jasius:  
RE5 was Alien 3. This is Alien vs Predator: Requiem. 

Just bad.
Posted by MURDERSMASH

@duke1gears0 said:

Whatever, I like RE6

That's fine. It's OK to like bad games.