273 Comments
Posted by MEATBALL

Really enjoying Leon's campaign three chapters in. I started out with Jake's which had some terrible moments and some moments I really liked. Seems to me the game is more average than it is bad, but I guess it just depends on how much any negatives (and they are there indeed) affect the experience.

Posted by CakeBomb

You made Brad cry. BAD CAPCOM. 

I'm amazed at how this game turned out, it looked so promising and I was expecting it to be better than RE5 by adding a horror campaign and refining the action campaigns from RE5's blueprint. For all the stuff that Capcom is taking from modern shooters, they haven't figured out QTEs are not the core of any game, much less the broken ones. 

Explain to me how they make an awesome looking game that runs great on 3DS, and then make a game that at times has worse textures than RE5 and runs considerably worse. Explain Capcom.

Posted by MeatSim

Brad's nightmare is finally over.

Posted by BatmanBatman

I was really expecting a one start here... I think Brad like this game!

Posted by Chris2KLee

Shame, had a really great time with 5, especially in Co-Op. Might try a rental or something, somewhere down the line.

Posted by icarusflies77

As I've said....without Wesker you're left with a shambling, rotting, zombie-hulk of a game. >_>

Posted by Curufinwe

You can just press A to set the camera to your character direction, rather than manually move it with the right stick. And I hope you eventually started using the LT + RT quick shot because it really helps manage certain situations.

Also, the laser sight works much better than the reticle.

But I think this review does a much better job of explaining the issues with the game than other sub-50% reviews I've read. Well done.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

This is a really good review. I'm a little surprised with the two star score. Seeing how negative Brad was about it on the bombcast. The only nice thing said was two ten second animations were cool.

Posted by Dallas_Raines

@Jazzycola said:

Only needed to read the first half of the review and hear brad's complaining on the I love mondays video to know that maybe Brad should go back and play RE5. This is just coming from me watching him play RE6 in the quicklook, but it looked like it played pretty damn close to RE5 and the enemies acted the same as well. I've played a few hours of RE5 relatively recent (about a year ago) and everything about the game just felt broken. It doesn't seem like that's changed so I don't know why RE5 is being held to such a high standard which brings me to my original point, Brad should go back and play RE5 to see if that game actually holds up. But I suspect that at this time of year there isn't much time nor is it valuable for a review to do so.

RE6 play's like RE5's alcoholic brother. Just try the demo.

Posted by Demoskinos

I love ya Bradley but I gotta say I can't agree with you on this one in the slightest. Really enjoying my time with it. Its a game that obviously still has faults but none of them are so agressively offensive to me that its hindering my enjoyment.

Posted by Apparatus_Unearth

That's just like your opinion man.

Posted by DefaultProphet

@NoobSauceG7 said:

I honestly thought that even 2 stars would be too high for this game. Brad said absolutely nothing positive about this game...

Isn't 1 star reserved for games that you cannot finish because they are broken?

Posted by GERALTITUDE

This is Brad's best review on the site I think. The passion of his exhausted anger gives it a sweet flow.

Posted by OneKillWonder_

I've put about 6 hours into this game, and I already agree with this review wholeheartedly. It's amazing what a train wreck this game turned out to be on almost every level. Sure, it is impressive from a technical standpoint, but that doesn't mean much when it's a pain in the ass to play. It can't even manage to scratch that nostalgic itch for me with it's half-assed fan servicey moments. I really, truly, sincerely hope that Capcom learns a lesson from this.

Posted by ClamFTW

PASTICHE!!!!!!!

Posted by jasius

So its Aliens 3 of gaming?

Posted by Deathpooky

Very glad to avoid getting sucked into a pre-order of this.

And I'd love to see a list of big budget, high production, great-looking, terrible games.

Posted by ManMadeGod

@mortal_sb said:

this is probably a pretty well written review, but man, i checked in word: 2700 words and almost 4 pages. that's just too long. three times the length in comparison to the joystiq review. a review shouldn't be a short story.

i know GB loves to do long and elaborate reviews, but i would prefer if they would review 2-3 games more and write reviews that are only (at max) half als long as these.

I disagree. As someone who looks at reviews from a purchasing decision standpoint I don't want the writers holding back information be it good or bad. If a review needs to be 4 pages long then so be it.

Edited by devilgunman

2/5 ?

Are you prepared, Brad? They're coming for ya!

Posted by Ceno

I expected one less star.

Posted by DeShawn2ks

@Trusty_Spoon said:

From what I have played in demos and heard, it seems everyone has the same oppinion except for the occasional fan boy who really cant accept they just wasted a good sum of money on an inferior product

My little brother bought RE6 and never played a Resident Evil before. He is really liking the game so is he a fanboy? Don't understand if someone likes a game that a lot of people don't they are some how some super fan boy who is in denial. I agree with a lot of Brads complaints but I am also really liking the game so far. Oh no I'm a fan boy who really can't accept that I wasted a "good sum" of money on an inferior product now, damn it damn it damn it.

Posted by Gunharp

said:

"...what must have been one of the most expensive productions in video game history."

Can anyone confirm this? Curious as to what the estimated budget is.

I would think Too Human and APB are still the kings of this category Brad puts RE6 into. Also I am not defending RE6, will probably check it out next year when I have the free time. What a divisive game.

Edited by CptBedlam

@Jost1 said:

@Sooty: RE5 was a good game. It may not have been to your taste but it's polished, it does what it sets out to do, its only flaw is that is doesn't really do anything NEW. Now if you want to say you don't LIKE it, that's fine. But it is not a bad game.

Many reviewers just failed to point out the many flaws of RE5. Story, bosses, movement, AI partner... all of these aspects are abysmal in RE5. I'd even say RE6 does some things better than RE5 (and others worse, plus it's all around less polished obviously). However, the movement, for example, is a vast improvement over RE5 in my opinion. Of course you have to bother to learn the controls. It's beyond me how Brad complained about stuff like diving backwards on the Bombcast because when I played the two demos, executing that stuff felt really intuitive and worked really well. Just like in this video:

Opinions, I guess.

Posted by Animasta

@Xer0Signal said:

After Kinect Star Wars, and this, what will it take to get a 1 star review from Brad?

C'mon Brad. Embrace it!

he gave a one star to velvet assassin, I believe.

Posted by fox01313

Didn't care much for RE5 but hearing on the QL & the bombcast on just how they tried to bring this franchise back by cheaply putting in game mechanics that don't seem to work right or have proper context/tutorials to them. Seems that RE might have more life in the Raccoon CIty game if they do more with that over this. Great review full of insightful stuff Brad, now please go play something you'll find fun & entertaining.

Posted by JDW519

This game is getting trashed by almost every person that plays, I don't understand how sites like IGN have given it decent reviews, definitely need to play it now just to see how bad it is

Posted by Brad

@mortal_sb said:

this is probably a pretty well written review, but man, i checked in word: 2700 words and almost 4 pages. that's just too long. three times the length in comparison to the joystiq review. a review shouldn't be a short story.

i know GB loves to do long and elaborate reviews, but i would prefer if they would review 2-3 games more and write reviews that are only (at max) half als long as these.

If you think the writing is the lengthiest part of the review process, you're badly mistaken.

Posted by DG991

0 stars!!!

Posted by Dogma

@Sooty said:

The worst thing about RE6 is that people will now look back on 5 as if it was actually a good game.

Resident Evil 5 was an OK game. BUt yeah, reading and listening to writers during the release period of that game back then you did not hear much love for it (but to be fair...we do know that Brad and espacally Vinny loved and played the shit out of RE5). No one really hated it but the whole "it's an action game more than an horror game" came up a lot, that and complaints about stupid co-op AI, and clunky controls and...yeah, you get my point. Crictics looked at it in a very negative light. It's funny how this game now give these people the impression that RE5 was good or better. A worse game does not make the precursor better it just makes it seem less bad. But that is not the way people talk about it at the moment. It's wierd.

Posted by NoobSauceG7

I honestly thought that even 2 stars would be too high for this game. Brad said absolutely nothing positive about this game...

Posted by connerthekewlkid

cmon brad the prequels thing is beating a zombified dead horse

Posted by fargofallout

Holy long review.

As much as some people think being a vide game journalist would be the best job ever (and I think it would mostly be awesome), there are times like this, where you have to get through and finish a game you don't like. I, for instance, couldn't get into Resident Evil 5, so I didn't play the whole thing.

I feel for you, Brad, and I agree that it sucks that this game apparently sucks.

Posted by DeF

I'm curious as to why RE: Revelations never came up in the discussions or the review ... especially since you reviewed that earlier this year as well. Looking back, would you have preferred a bigger budget for a HD release of Revelations instead of RE6? (Though at this point I guess you would prefer anything to RE6^^)

Posted by AndyAce83

Resident Evil 6 is a good game. First annoying, then it grows on you. Its called an acquired taste.

Posted by AlwaysBeClothing

Its ok Brad, Resident Evil 6 can't hurt you anymore. Ssh, you're safe now.

At least till the raging fans come.

Posted by Undeadpool

Having played about four hours, I'm ready to say that this game is like Deadly Premonition but with better production values and less personality. But it makes up for that lack of personality by basically being The Room/Birdemic/Kickpuncher in its dialog, acting, and absolute self-seriousness. Despite its MYRIAD flaws, I am having a BLAST playing it (but also absolutely agree with the review).

Posted by Phatmac

:/

Posted by Jazzycola

Only needed to read the first half of the review and hear brad's complaining on the I love mondays video to know that maybe Brad should go back and play RE5. This is just coming from me watching him play RE6 in the quicklook, but it looked like it played pretty damn close to RE5 and the enemies acted the same as well. I've played a few hours of RE5 relatively recent (about a year ago) and everything about the game just felt broken. It doesn't seem like that's changed so I don't know why RE5 is being held to such a high standard which brings me to my original point, Brad should go back and play RE5 to see if that game actually holds up. But I suspect that at this time of year there isn't much time nor is it valuable for a review to do so.

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

@TheVideoHustler said:

Does anyone else read this in Brad's voice?

Also, very well written Brad. You accurately delivered your points in a way that I can understand your viewpoint, and agree with you.

No, but this seems like the perfect opportunity for the return of the video review.

Posted by Jost1

@Sooty: RE5 was a good game. It may not have been to your taste but it's polished, it does what it sets out to do, its only flaw is that is doesn't really do anything NEW. Now if you want to say you don't LIKE it, that's fine. But it is not a bad game.

Edited by CptBedlam

@Korolev said:

Oh ho! You are in for a shit-storm of negative comments Mr. Shoemaker! Be warned!

What? All I'm seeing is people shitting on this game with the occasional "I like this game, what's wrong with me" comment sprinkled in between.

I'm in the "it has flaws but the hate it's getting is way overblown"-camp by the way.

Posted by mortal_sb

Posted by Xer0Signal

After Kinect Star Wars, and this, what will it take to get a 1 star review from Brad?

C'mon Brad. Embrace it!

Posted by TheVideoHustler

Does anyone else read this in Brad's voice?

Also, very well written Brad. You accurately delivered your points in a way that I can understand your viewpoint, and agree with you.

Posted by Anung

Having sank 38 hours into this already I really don't think this deserves the hate its getting. It isn't perfect but it's not awful either. It has great qualities with some bad designs.  Seems like alot of bandwagon jumping to be fair. Also the controls are perfect when you change the camera settings.

Posted by billyhoush

I'm kinda glad this is one less game to buy since we're about to get dumped on with AAAs.

Posted by Maajin

I'll have to experience the badness myself, as the bombcast only brought up hopes that I'll actually like it.

Posted by GalacticPunt

Two stars might be charitable. "This is all terrible, but there's SO MUCH of it! What a value!"

Edited by CaLe

Good to know I don't have to buy another game. It will still sell though, because it says Resident Evil on the box. Hopefully it won't be enough make them immediately start on a sequel. Maybe after a long break and some new creative talent, they'll come up with something that isn't terrible.

Posted by bonbolapti

I'm a fan, and from playing mercs mode so far, the controls are really something to get used to. But it terms of it's overall, I'll be marathoning it with my friend on the weekend, and I'm too invested into the series to not play this.

So if it feels like a over-produced B Movie, I'm okay with that :D