273 Comments
Edited by CptBedlam

@Jost1 said:

@Sooty: RE5 was a good game. It may not have been to your taste but it's polished, it does what it sets out to do, its only flaw is that is doesn't really do anything NEW. Now if you want to say you don't LIKE it, that's fine. But it is not a bad game.

Many reviewers just failed to point out the many flaws of RE5. Story, bosses, movement, AI partner... all of these aspects are abysmal in RE5. I'd even say RE6 does some things better than RE5 (and others worse, plus it's all around less polished obviously). However, the movement, for example, is a vast improvement over RE5 in my opinion. Of course you have to bother to learn the controls. It's beyond me how Brad complained about stuff like diving backwards on the Bombcast because when I played the two demos, executing that stuff felt really intuitive and worked really well. Just like in this video:

Opinions, I guess.

Posted by Gunharp

said:

"...what must have been one of the most expensive productions in video game history."

Can anyone confirm this? Curious as to what the estimated budget is.

I would think Too Human and APB are still the kings of this category Brad puts RE6 into. Also I am not defending RE6, will probably check it out next year when I have the free time. What a divisive game.

Posted by DeShawn2ks

@Trusty_Spoon said:

From what I have played in demos and heard, it seems everyone has the same oppinion except for the occasional fan boy who really cant accept they just wasted a good sum of money on an inferior product

My little brother bought RE6 and never played a Resident Evil before. He is really liking the game so is he a fanboy? Don't understand if someone likes a game that a lot of people don't they are some how some super fan boy who is in denial. I agree with a lot of Brads complaints but I am also really liking the game so far. Oh no I'm a fan boy who really can't accept that I wasted a "good sum" of money on an inferior product now, damn it damn it damn it.

Posted by Ceno

I expected one less star.

Edited by devilgunman

2/5 ?

Are you prepared, Brad? They're coming for ya!

Posted by ManMadeGod

@mortal_sb said:

this is probably a pretty well written review, but man, i checked in word: 2700 words and almost 4 pages. that's just too long. three times the length in comparison to the joystiq review. a review shouldn't be a short story.

i know GB loves to do long and elaborate reviews, but i would prefer if they would review 2-3 games more and write reviews that are only (at max) half als long as these.

I disagree. As someone who looks at reviews from a purchasing decision standpoint I don't want the writers holding back information be it good or bad. If a review needs to be 4 pages long then so be it.

Posted by Deathpooky

Very glad to avoid getting sucked into a pre-order of this.

And I'd love to see a list of big budget, high production, great-looking, terrible games.

Posted by jasius

So its Aliens 3 of gaming?

Posted by ClamFTW

PASTICHE!!!!!!!

Posted by OneKillWonder_

I've put about 6 hours into this game, and I already agree with this review wholeheartedly. It's amazing what a train wreck this game turned out to be on almost every level. Sure, it is impressive from a technical standpoint, but that doesn't mean much when it's a pain in the ass to play. It can't even manage to scratch that nostalgic itch for me with it's half-assed fan servicey moments. I really, truly, sincerely hope that Capcom learns a lesson from this.

Posted by GERALTITUDE

This is Brad's best review on the site I think. The passion of his exhausted anger gives it a sweet flow.

Posted by DefaultProphet

@NoobSauceG7 said:

I honestly thought that even 2 stars would be too high for this game. Brad said absolutely nothing positive about this game...

Isn't 1 star reserved for games that you cannot finish because they are broken?

Posted by Apparatus_Unearth

That's just like your opinion man.

Posted by Demoskinos

I love ya Bradley but I gotta say I can't agree with you on this one in the slightest. Really enjoying my time with it. Its a game that obviously still has faults but none of them are so agressively offensive to me that its hindering my enjoyment.

Posted by Dallas_Raines

@Jazzycola said:

Only needed to read the first half of the review and hear brad's complaining on the I love mondays video to know that maybe Brad should go back and play RE5. This is just coming from me watching him play RE6 in the quicklook, but it looked like it played pretty damn close to RE5 and the enemies acted the same as well. I've played a few hours of RE5 relatively recent (about a year ago) and everything about the game just felt broken. It doesn't seem like that's changed so I don't know why RE5 is being held to such a high standard which brings me to my original point, Brad should go back and play RE5 to see if that game actually holds up. But I suspect that at this time of year there isn't much time nor is it valuable for a review to do so.

RE6 play's like RE5's alcoholic brother. Just try the demo.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

This is a really good review. I'm a little surprised with the two star score. Seeing how negative Brad was about it on the bombcast. The only nice thing said was two ten second animations were cool.

Posted by Curufinwe

You can just press A to set the camera to your character direction, rather than manually move it with the right stick. And I hope you eventually started using the LT + RT quick shot because it really helps manage certain situations.

Also, the laser sight works much better than the reticle.

But I think this review does a much better job of explaining the issues with the game than other sub-50% reviews I've read. Well done.

Posted by icarusflies77

As I've said....without Wesker you're left with a shambling, rotting, zombie-hulk of a game. >_>

Posted by Chris2KLee

Shame, had a really great time with 5, especially in Co-Op. Might try a rental or something, somewhere down the line.

Posted by BatmanBatman

I was really expecting a one start here... I think Brad like this game!

Posted by MeatSim

Brad's nightmare is finally over.

Posted by CakeBomb

You made Brad cry. BAD CAPCOM. 

I'm amazed at how this game turned out, it looked so promising and I was expecting it to be better than RE5 by adding a horror campaign and refining the action campaigns from RE5's blueprint. For all the stuff that Capcom is taking from modern shooters, they haven't figured out QTEs are not the core of any game, much less the broken ones. 

Explain to me how they make an awesome looking game that runs great on 3DS, and then make a game that at times has worse textures than RE5 and runs considerably worse. Explain Capcom.

Posted by MEATBALL

Really enjoying Leon's campaign three chapters in. I started out with Jake's which had some terrible moments and some moments I really liked. Seems to me the game is more average than it is bad, but I guess it just depends on how much any negatives (and they are there indeed) affect the experience.

Posted by MURDERSMASH

@duke1gears0 said:

Whatever, I like RE6

That's fine. It's OK to like bad games.

Posted by CakeBomb
@jasius:  
RE5 was Alien 3. This is Alien vs Predator: Requiem. 

Just bad.
Posted by Winternet

@Gunharp said:

said:

"...what must have been one of the most expensive productions in video game history."

I would think Too Human and APB are still the kings of this category Brad puts RE6 into. Also I am not defending RE6, will probably check it out next year when I have the free time. What a divisive game.

The Old Republic must be the new king on the expensive-production-department. L.A. Noire must also be up there.

Posted by Plipster

I liked it fine. Not as good as 4 or 5. But I loved both and thought this was OK. Just Ok, but still...

Posted by HyperionXR

@Plipster: So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit overall. The aiming was kind of questionable at first but I got used to it, and the skill upgrades helped. It's not scary and the QTE's are a bit much as well, but honestly, overall, I do really like it.

Posted by bennyboy

I was expecting a 1 star review from all of the complaints on the bombcast/i love mondays/quick look.

Edited by BlueWolverine

@kerse: Horror is a very subjective term. What you find scary might not scare others, the same goes for the other way.

Posted by DavoTron

Better play Shadows Of The Damned again!

Posted by MiniPato

Prepare thine anus, Mr. Shoemaker.

Haters are coming.

Posted by cthomer5000

@mortal_sb said:

this is probably a pretty well written review, but man, i checked in word: 2700 words and almost 4 pages. that's just too long. three times the length in comparison to the joystiq review. a review shouldn't be a short story.

i know GB loves to do long and elaborate reviews, but i would prefer if they would review 2-3 games more and write reviews that are only (at max) half als long as these.

How does this make sense? If you were to make a pie chart of reviewing RE6, how much time do you think is devoted to playing the game vs writing the review?

This is a site that thrives on long-form opinion I have no idea why anyone would want to come here for shorter reviews or opinions of any sort.

Posted by FourWude

There's gonna be so much hurt butts in this thread.

Posted by 24thDoor

@Jost1 said:

@Sooty: RE5 was a good game. It may not have been to your taste but it's polished, it does what it sets out to do, its only flaw is that is doesn't really do anything NEW. Now if you want to say you don't LIKE it, that's fine. But it is not a bad game.

Well... only flaw if you don't count the mind-blowing racism.

Posted by konig_kei

Now Mr shoemaker, would you kindly make a video review like the gamespot one you did where you seemed bored out of your mind.

Posted by zyn

With the team that CAPCOM put on this, shows that this game is a joke.

Posted by ildon

@Oni said:

Shocker!

Also, tied with FF13 for "most lavishly produced bad game"

FF13 has good combat. Once you get to play it 30 hours in.

Posted by Encephalon

Dry those tears, Brad. It's over. You did it.

Posted by Vitor

@Winternet said:

@Gunharp said:

said:

The Old Republic must be the new king on the expensive-production-department. L.A. Noire must also be up there.

Yeah, but those two aren't categorically held up as examples of bad games. Not to everyone's taste maybe but they still did well critically.

Too Human and APB flopped both commercially and critically.

Posted by Cobra_Kai

@neoepoch said:

I'd say the Stars Wars prequels are way better than this game. Take that as you will.

You know what I`m going to take that,and I`m going to take that to heart, and that`s pretty special, coming from a guy who strangles jarjar to death in his dreams, on the reg,also I would yell at george lucas if I ever met him, more on that later.

Posted by MonkeyKing1969

It seems like the people on this site are on balance accepting of this review on face value ....which is nice for a change. Some people like it, some people don't, and most people seem willing to wait until it is inexpensive enough to pick up on a lark.

Posted by NickL

@Brad said:

@mortal_sb said:

If you think the writing is the lengthiest part of the review process, you're badly mistaken.

I really want to know what world lives in that he thinks writing a shorter review would open up time for reviewing 2-3 more games.

Posted by genericHenle

I played through the Leon and Chris campaigns over the past two days. Don't even want to touch Jake's. Already burnt out on it.

Posted by Enigma777

I'm sorry Brad. I'm so sorry.

Posted by Ravelle

@ildon said:

@Oni said:

Shocker!

I loved FF13.

Posted by Brad

@Ravelle said:

@ildon said:

@Oni said:

Shocker!

I loved FF13.

Yeah, FF13's biggest problem is pacing. If they had condensed the first 20 hours into about three, I would have loved it.

Staff
Posted by bybeach

@BATMANBATMAN85 said:

I was really expecting a one start here... I think Brad like this game!

I like this logic...and of course w/out any experience of this franchise at all, I keep hearing about RES4 and for what it did, RES 5. I was half expecting one star also.

The only comment I have to make of my own is at least some of the artwork, the little that I saw during the QL and that first picture, where Brad is describing a negative in his review. It looks rather...good! Nice lighting. I'm sure his point is valid, but that is a effective screen-grab.

Edited by Tru3_Blu3

I guess this is karma for sticking a dildo up Mega Man's ass and kicking him out of his household.

Posted by DanTheGamer32

I enjoy RE6, at least it's not as awful and busted as ORC *shudders*