91 Comments
  • 91 results
Posted by Eojay

Awesome.

Posted by Epidehl

The more I hear about this, the more I wanna play it.

Posted by SharkMan

so that's how long the game is.

Posted by Chop

Really wish Ryan would write more reviews. His vocabulary is staggering and it's always a treat to read his stuff.

Posted by Morningstar

Wow, this is extremely well written.

Posted by RetroVirus

An excellently written review for an equally excellent game.

Posted by Skanker

Striking review, seems spot on. The game gets really easy the more you play and research stuff though.

Posted by rjayb89

XCOM BABY

Edited by ManiacMaysin

Man, I should have preordered. That classic flattop hair is awesome. Maybe it will be dlc. Also, one of my randomly generated guys is named Paul Walker.

Posted by nate6858

Great review. I sure do like this game.

Posted by masterpaperlink

The game should be played on iron man, the temptation to sit and constantly reload is too big otherwise (killing any real tension)

Posted by dicnose

This game is too hard to deserve 5 stars

Posted by drew327

I have never wanted a game to post big sales as much as I do this one

Posted by c_sheridan

Ashley Williams: Gaming's Sean Bean?

Posted by depecheload

@dicnose said:

You can literally save before every move. It's as hard as you want it to be.

Posted by Disconnect

I think someone like Ryan is perfect to review this game. Basically the worse* you are at these type of games the more fun you'll have with X-Com because you'll have a neat little ladder of difficulty to climb. Also, if you are like me, basically someone that has played games like JA2 for probably hundreds of hours, you'll end up in a position were you poke and prod too much at the game and quickly figure out the limitations and the flaws of what is otherwise a pretty rad game. Ending up cynically exploiting things like squad sight and the fact that the AI pulls like mobs in an MMO.

Also worth mentioning, the game currently suffers from quite a few bugs but the first patch has already hit and hopefully some of the line of sight/enemies randomly spawning on top of your squad will be fixed. It is a blast though.

*I don't mean this as a bad thing, don't punch me.

Posted by The_Nubster

@depecheload said:

@dicnose said:

But I have to consider what I'm doing instead of aiming and shooting until credits roll! This game sucks!

Posted by Sooty

No mention of all the bugs? I've encountered so many. It's definitely a Firaxis game.

Posted by SomeJerk

Even on Normal it can get freaking hard, but never unfair unless you play Impossible Ironman or get enemies spawning right in the middle of your squad for no reason. The deaths are your own fault, risking the lives of your soldiers, which is the daily life.

It's a miracle this game even got released, let alone in this difficult brutal form. Had it been under EA or Activision it would have been ravaged by focus feedback and upper management direction until it ended up nothing but a shitty fps.

Buy it.

Edited by evanbower

@The_Nubster said:

@depecheload said:

@dicnose said:

But I have to consider what I'm doing instead of aiming and shooting until credits roll! This game sucks!

Guys... look at his profile and see what he has posted in the past. When you reply to him, he wins.

Infact, a lot of what he says is actually stolen from http://horseysurprise.tumblr.com , where a really funny guy is purposely stupid on message boards and then catalogues it on the blog. Of course, when you steal the jokes and try to recreate it on a small video game website, its way less funny.

Posted by fastkilr

Thanks for the review. Informative and gives a good sense of the game. Will make this a priority then.

Posted by SeanFoster

...Giant Bomb's 2012 game of the year?

Posted by OneKillWonder_

This is only like the fourth game Ryan has reviewed this year. Good review, though. Not sure if this game is my thing, but it sounds interesting and I have the demo waiting to be played.

Posted by Robaota

I genuinely hope this kills it in the sales. We as consumers deserve more big budget (relatively speaking) games with this type of challenge and depth, especially on consoles. The developers deserve the sales also for not stopping at just having a good attempt at a remake, one that was a "faithful" remake, but instead just showing real ambition to try and create as great of a game as they could.

Everyone buy this. Everyone. I would like more of this type of experience.

Posted by poisonmonkey

This is one of the best written reviews I have ever read, well done Ryan.

Posted by jozzy

@evanbower said:

@The_Nubster said:

@depecheload said:

@dicnose said:

Guys... look at his profile and see what he has posted in the past. When you reply to him, he wins.

Infact, a lot of what he says is actually stolen from http://horseysurprise.tumblr.com , where a really funny guy is purposely stupid on message boards and then catalogues it on the blog. Of course, when you steal the jokes and try to recreate it on a small video game website, its way less funny.

And that guy actually comes up with creative gems of dumbness like: If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we are doomed to repeat them for the first time

Posted by ervonymous

Good read. Definitely one of this year's highlights and a ray of hope even though my games have been riddled with bugs, Sectopods spawning in the middle of my squad and impossible camera angles and navigation in two story buildings.

Posted by Bobby_The_Great

@dicnose said:

Wah...

Posted by ValiantGoat

I tried the demo a few nights ago, and think I'll pass on the game for my own health. Regardless of lack of time and plenty of other games coming out at this point, I can't bring myself to spend my limited time for games stressing so much. It's a real shame of circumstances that I'll begrudgingly be passing on this game, at least for the foreseeable future.

This was a great review, thumbs up, Ryan.

Posted by morrowjo

Great review Ryan. This game has been consuming my thoughts (and time) ever since I picked it up last week.

Posted by Phatmac

I'd give this game 5 stars too. My only complaint with it us that it has consumed my life.

Posted by prestonhedges

"I find myself eschewing mouse and keyboard controls in favor of a controller..."

That's because it's a bad port job, Ryan. If the menus and interface were better, you wouldn't.

Posted by Rayeth

Probably the best review of XCOM I have seen on the net. The game is absolutely BRUTAL with the choices it presents you. Every big decision feels like the entire game hangs in the balance. Only to find out a second later that in fact the small thing was what mattered. What a rush. Great review, Ryan. 5 stars well deserved.

Posted by dropabombonit

Great review Ryan. I'm putting the game on my christmas wishlist because I don't have the time for it right now

Posted by radioactivez0r

@gladspooky: What's wrong with the interface? I haven't had any issues with M/KB at all.

Regarding the game, there was a mission last week that I was absolutely tensing up during, worried I was going to put someone in the wrong cover spot and end their life. It was awesome. I've had a few annoyances - "you need to reload!" and clicking OK spends your turn when your brain thinks "thanks for the warning"; the 2-level buildings making pathfinding a total bitch until you spin the camera the opposite direction - but overall it's been a total blast so far. Clearing the first alien base without a single KIA was god damn exhilarating

Posted by doobie

@Sooty said:

No mention of all the bugs? I've encountered so many. It's definitely a Firaxis game.

how many is so many. more than 6?

Posted by NekuCTR

Very nice review Ryan. I would probably dock it a star for it's bugyness, and how easily it is to exploit, but it's a Firaxis game so that's to be expected. Had so much fun playing through this, and will keep trying for that impossible run.

Posted by bkbroiler

Can't say I expected anything other than this, but I always love reading Giant Bomb reviews. Really great read.

Posted by Pop

He finally finished it! He must of cursed a storm through the last missions, I was thinking that was the reason why he wasn't in the I love monday video. He didn't mention the weird camera angles the game makes sometimes, minor complaint I know.

Edited by Skanker

I finished the game with having money to spare, having only lost about 5 soldiers and not having lost any countries. My Sniper's headshot and double tap abilities allowed me to kill the final boss with one soldier, on the first turn, before the aliens even had a chance to attack. Yo, the game ain't that hard. At least not on Normal anyway.

Posted by a5ehren

@Skanker said:

I finished the game with having money to spare, having only lost about 5 soldiers and not having lost any countries. My Sniper's headshot and double tap abilities allowed me to kill the final boss with one soldier, on the first turn, before the aliens even had a chance to attack. Yo, the game ain't that hard. At least not on Normal anyway.

The game gets easier once you have the money to get a squad's worth of good armor and hot hot plasma. You should probably try Classic - since you can switch difficulty on the fly, just pop into one of your old missions and try it out.

Posted by Ghostin

GOTY.

Posted by Skanker

@a5ehren said:

The game gets easier once you have the money to get a squad's worth of good armor and hot hot plasma. You should probably try Classic - since you can switch difficulty on the fly, just pop into one of your old missions and try it out.

Yeah, that's definitely what I'll do on my second playthrough of the game. I've heard some good things about the smarter AI in Classic/Impossible.

Edited by JoeGuy

Just finished the game on Normal yesterday, switched to Classic Iron Man. Damn if that is not the way to play. The culture shock from being slightly OP at end-game Normal difficulty, to Classic Iron Man with insta-death Rookies is pretty huge. Amazing game and damn addictive! When you get something right, a really complex plan goes pinch perfect or you pull off a unlikely shot to save a squad member it just feels good and rewarding, plain and simple. The whole game is a blast, except a tinge of shame when you check out all the Rookies you led out as bullet shields at the memorial wall.

Posted by Sackmanjones

Please write more reviews Ryan, they are very professional and a great read

Posted by Thor_Molecules

Fantastic review, mr. Davis.

Posted by Yanngc33

GOTY?

Posted by Phototropic

Great review. This game is crack and my GOTY so far.

Posted by DharmaBum

Sounds brilliant and I need more strategy games in my life. I'm hoping my friend ends up switching to the PC version and gives me his other copy.

Posted by PlatypusPlatoon

Just a superb review through and through. Ryan can write the pants off of "real" journalists working for mainstream publications.

• 91 results