258 Comments
Posted by George_Hukas

I hate Family Guy, but the notion that anyone who enjoys it is a terrible person is pretty dumb.

Then again, Alex's reviews read like a parody of the meaningful content found on this site.

Posted by Undeadpool

@KittyVonDoom said:

I still haven't seen an episode nor clip of Family Guy since season 3. Is it really the worst thing? I mean, new Simpsons is pretty try-hard and cringe worthy most of the time. Then again, it did reach ten seasons before it headed down that hole.

Season 4 was garbage, you could tell they were leaning HARD on the "inside jokes," from the first 3 seasons, maybe as a way to say "thanks" to their fans for getting them back on the air, or maybe because they were rusty, but it's actually gotten better over the last few years. It's funny that CURRENT Simpsons writers have been raking Seth McFarlane over the coals so hard considering the fact that they seem to be borrowing most of their humor from him these days...

Posted by Vrikk

American Dad is so much better than Family Guy anyway.

Posted by gzl5000

The only good thing about this game is how great Alex's review is.

Edited by Roger778

Now, I do love Family Guy, since I watch it often. However, the graphics on this game looks ugly, so I don't think I'm convinced that this game could be good.

Posted by Stradivari

I love you Giantbomb <3

Edited by Rabid619

Alex. Duder. Thank you. Your 1 star reviews, as painful for you as they may be, are one of my favourite parts of GB.

Now I can be happy that I never have to hear or think about this steaming pile of shit ever again. Hooray!

Posted by jakal

@DrRandle said:

@MiniPato: People who like the humor of Back to the Multiverse are likely the people who like the humor of Family Guy, as that was the intent of the game's creation, and I would hazard a guess, the people who are writers for both products. I realize that I am an insanely insecure person here, but I fail to understand any other correlation. There's nothing in Multiverse that will be any different than an unrated episode of Family Guy, so by comparing a person to one, you are comparing them to both.

Except that the guy who has both played the game and watched the TV is saying that that isn't the case, both in the review and explicitly in response to your comments. You can like the TV and still find the writing in the game terrible. Just because the intent was to appeal to the same audience that doesn't mean it was successful. How is that hard to understand?

Posted by Alex

@Branthog: I say to you what I've said to everyone else who said the same thing. I say in the review I don't have a problem with Family Guy as a show. I have a problem with what this game tries to do, which is not funny. At all. Not even a little bit.

So, again, very slowly now, FAMILY GUY SHOW OKAY. FAMILY GUY VIDEO GAME OFFENSIVE AND TERRIBLE.

Staff
Posted by Animasta

@Branthog: he specifically said he didn't mind family guy, just that the jokes in the game were of such a terrible quality that it was racist, sexist, etc.

I mean I would argue that family guy as a whole is sort of sexist, racist, whatever, but that is just me. he specifically mentioned the game's humor and not the show.

Posted by Geralt

Hey @Alex,

Posted by Alex

@Branthog: I refuse to believe you read the entire review. Because if you did, you would have read the part where I mention it's not because of the show that the game is bad, it's because the game is deplorably unfunny in its own right.

Staff
Posted by KarlPilkington

It's okay Alex, most people understand what you mean perfectly.

Posted by Vextroid
@Animasta said:

@Swifdemon said:

Why does Alex review bad games? Has he become addicted?

jeff made him review it because jeff is a mean person

Skip to 4:40 and 5:38
Posted by Random45

@Branthog: Well, you sure like to write! Maybe you should spend all that effort reading next time so you don't come off as a massive idiot.

Edited by Branthog

@Animasta said:

@Branthog: he specifically said he didn't mind family guy, just that the jokes in the game were of such a terrible quality that it was racist, sexist, etc.

I mean I would argue that family guy as a whole is sort of sexist, racist, whatever, but that is just me. he specifically mentioned the game's humor and not the show.

I didn't see any such clarification in the article . . .?

And while the show isn't terribly funny, I don't see how you can call the satirization of sexist, racist, homophobic, xenophobic attitudes as being all of those things, itself. That's kind of the foundation of almost all humor that exists -- especially most stand-up comedy of the last thirty or forty years. (And that was the issue I had with what I thought Alex was saying, before I read his clarification, below).

@Alex said:

@Branthog: I say to you what I've said to everyone else who said the same thing. I say in the review I don't have a problem with Family Guy as a show. I have a problem with what this game tries to do, which is not funny. At all. Not even a little bit.

So, again, very slowly now, FAMILY GUY SHOW OKAY. FAMILY GUY VIDEO GAME OFFENSIVE AND TERRIBLE.

In that case, I apologize for misinterpreting your review. I wasn't going to read it, because the game being terrible seemed like a no-brainer. After the first paragraph, I had to read the rest just to make sure you called-back to the opening of your article with something making it obvious that they were tongue-in-cheek (or not applied to the show, etc). I never saw that and it wasn't readily obvious (to me, at least -- maybe I'm exceedingly stupid) that you were referring just to the game.

This is what you wrote:

Great news, racists, misogynists, homophobes, and generally terrible people! After a year in which your kind spent much of its time being maligned by people with annoying traits like "sensitivity" and "empathy," you now have a video game with which to vent your frustrations toward people with handicaps, women, a wide variety of ethnicities, and homosexuals. Finally, right?
Sure, you get some of that stuff on the Family Guy TV series, but there, Seth MacFarlane's tendency toward offensive humor is too often slathered in that dicey concept known as "parody." Sometimes you just want to laugh at hateful words being used to demean others without all the bullshit, you know?

You call out a category of people and the things they supposedly like, then say "Sure, you get some of that on the Family Guy TV series". This isn't clarified at any later point, so what you wrote reads something like this:

"Hey, racists, misogynists and homophobes! Sure, the Family Guy television show caters to all of you who hate anyone who is different, but if you want all of that without the limitations imposed by television censorship, you're going love the Family Guy game, which really indulges in the hideousness of the Family Guy audience!"

In the spirit of constructive criticism, I think the article could do with finding some way to distinguish that the criticism of the game wasn't tied to the show. That is, your description of the kind of hideous human beings that developers must have had in mind when they were creating the game is not a description of the kind of people who like Family Guy or the content of the show.

And like I said, I don't necessarily care that much for The Family Guy. The way I was reading it just struck me as being of the same vein as when you hear a news reporter or soccer mom describe a particular video game, its intentions, and its audience -- having never seen or played a video game before. That is why I thought it was so awful and was so surprised. In that (inaccurate, apparently) light, it seemed so unbelievably out of character both for you and for GiantBomb.

@robot21 said:

Wait, so the "capture the greased-up deaf guy" mode isn't called "deafmatch"? Man, this game did drop the ball.

That was officially funnier than anything I have ever seen on Family Guy, in my life. Well done.

@Vrikk said:

American Dad is so much better than Family Guy anyway.

I like Seth Mcfarlane, but Family Guy has so few truly funny moments and I found American Dad to be more or less the same (even without the idiotic "hey, remember the 1970s and the 80s and that one actor or politician or television show?"). I found Cleveland to be pretty much just as bad, too. Or . . . I don't know if "bad" is even fair to describe any of the three. They just don't really make me laugh much, which is presumably their intent. :P

Posted by Andy_117

The worst part of this game is that all the people Alex is describing in some kind of hypothetical actually do exist. I saw a comment on their official Facebook page that was something like:

"Great game! I love shooting the cripples :)"

It was spelled much worse than that, and had absolutely no concept of grammar, but that was what it said. And I almost threw up in my mouth a little because of it. Eurgh.

Edited by Branthog

@Alex said:

@Branthog: I refuse to believe you read the entire review. Because if you did, you would have read the part where I mention it's not because of the show that the game is bad, it's because the game is deplorably unfunny in its own right.

Nowhere in the article does it state anything of the sort and from what is written, I can't see how the reader can be expected to make the leap to that connection themselves.

Edit: Nevermind. Someone kindly pointed out that you did say something to that effect, but that it was written as the caption to an image accompanying the article at the bottom of the page. I hadn't seen that until it was pointed out, because I usually read articles through an extension to strip out the cruft. I'm glad to see you did, indeed, state that, then! However, it also seems like an important-enough point to make that it should have been in the actual article. I don't even know that I go around reading captions to article images (usually just comments pulled straight out of the article itself, anyway) even when reading the pages directly, so it'd be fairly understandable to miss, reading straight from the web page.

Posted by beard_of_zeus

@Andy_117 said:

The worst part of this game is that all the people Alex is describing in some kind of hypothetical actually do exist. I saw a comment on their official Facebook page that was something like:

It was spelled much worse than that, and had absolutely no concept of grammar, but that was what it said. And I almost threw up in my mouth a little because of it. Eurgh.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't need any more data to help out my "people are terrible" theory.

Posted by Branthog

@beard_of_zeus said:

@Andy_117 said:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't need any more data to help out my "people are terrible" theory.

I'd like to believe that statement is ironic or sarcastic, but I've overheard too many XBox Live "discussions" to know better. *sigh*

Posted by Alex

@Branthog: Actual words contained in the review: "Some might think that Back to the Multiverse is just emblematic of its source material, but it's not. The TV series looks nuanced, compared to this garbage."

Call that a backhanded compliment, if you like, but I expressly say that the show is not the issue here.

I am not a fan of trying to break down my individual tastes in review text as you suggested. The fact that I only refer to the video game as the problem and never say that the show is horrible I would hope would be enough to make clear to the world that I am talking about the video game. Yes, I said the show features a little bit of those terrible things at the beginning, but I also mention that the show's more outlandishly offensive bits are caked in satire. And that the game has none of that.

I honestly don't think I'm asking very much of the reader to simply read what I've said, and glean that I am expressly talking about the video game in question, and not making larger assertions about Family Guy fans in general. However, apparently some can't quite grasp that.

Staff
Posted by Alex

@Branthog: Just read your edit. Fair enough, though honestly, I can't be held accountable for how people choose to view their articles. I put my text in the review body where I think it fits. I'm not going to jam extraneous sentences into the review body I can easily sum up in a sentence-length caption elsewhere.

Staff
Posted by MiniPato

@Alex said:

I honestly don't think I'm asking very much of the reader to simply read what I've said, and glean that I am expressly talking about the video game in question, and not making larger assertions about Family Guy fans in general. However, apparently some can't quite grasp that.

Don't worry Alex, you aren't asking that much. Exactly only 2 people missed that while everyone else picked up on it.

Posted by Sharpless

As someone who hates Family Guy and, well, just about every other piece of shit Seth MacFarlane has ever wrenched from his rancid asshole and flung enthusiastically at a television screen, this review was one of the most satisfying things I've ever read. I needed that. Thanks, !

Posted by Branthog

@Alex said:

@Branthog: Actual words contained in the review: "Some might think that Back to the Multiverse is just emblematic of its source material, but it's not. The TV series looks nuanced, compared to this garbage."

Sorry for the confusion and being so (unfairly, in retrospect) critical. I never saw that statement, because it's not in the article. It's an image caption at the bottom of the page. I don't usually read image captions, since they're repeated lines of the article, itsel. Even if I did, I discovered my reader (which strips most images) also stripped the captions. I only realized it as I had someone else in the house read your article, to make sure I wasn't fucking nuts or blind.

Anyway, sorry for seeming like such an obtuse bitch about it. Without that line, your article reads very different and I couldn't believe you were that harsh and absurd. If not now, then in the future, it might be beneficial to include such important clarifications in the article itself, so it's not skipped or stripped!

It was an honest mistake, but god damn, I feel like such a douche. Damn.

Posted by jsnyder82

@Sharpless said:

As someone who hates Family Guy and, well, just about every other piece of shit Seth MacFarlane has ever wrenched from his rancid asshole and flung enthusiastically at a television screen, this review was one of the most satisfying things I've ever read. I needed that. Thanks, !

I don't like Family Guy. But American Dad is okay. Definitely been good these last couple seasons. And Ted was actually pretty funny.

Posted by happymeowmeow

The real questions are:

Why didn't Jeff make you review Thundercats?

Is this game better than Thundercats?

Posted by big_jon

This game is for me!

Posted by probablytuna

And back he goes playing shitty games....

Posted by Wampa1

@robot21: Yeah, those manatee's just aren't what they use to be.

Posted by GERALTITUDE

This is maybe Alex's best review. I guess shit games inspire a real writer's flow.

Posted by Christoffer

So Serious Sam, Family Guy and Postal all in one, I'll take it. That's three good reasons for me to stay as far away from this as I can. Also, it sounds bad.

Great review

Posted by Sooty

As bad as the TV show then? Cool.

Posted by laserbolts

As if finding an offensive joke funny is the same as supporting or agreeing with the offensive meaning of it. Stop being stupid Alex. Fucking hell.

Posted by Animasta

@laserbolts said:

As if finding an offensive joke funny is the same as supporting or agreeing with the offensive meaning of it. Stop being stupid Alex. Fucking hell.

so... why else would it be funny? serious question btw.

Posted by MrMiyagi

How do you always get stuck with this shit, Alex?

Posted by Okayn

I love fg =))))

Posted by ThePantheon

Sorry, why did you review this Alex?

I understand Giant Bomb does QLs of trash games for fun at times, but never actual reviews.

Why did you even bother?

Posted by Pyrrhic

Funny review, thanks Alex

Posted by MegaMave

@pyromagnestir: Totally agree with ya. I surprise myself with the twisted shit that makes me laugh sometimes, but this totally has no appeal to me.

Posted by panvixyl

I'd fucking love a Quick Look of this horseshit.

Posted by panvixyl

@ThePantheon: Alex is the guy who always gets the real shit games foisted on him, like 9 times out of 10. Remember when he had to play that awful Blackwater game?

Edited by Slayer78

Family Guy is cack to the core, so this asshole of a game suits it just fine.

Posted by hollitz

This may be the first review I've read that actually insults the intended audience for the game. And I'm must say, I'm VERY on board with it. But to be fair, the intended audience for this game seems deserving of the insults.

First review I've read in a loooong time. Thank you Alex for the enjoyable read.

Posted by Mightymoose

I cannot believe how some people seem to be entirely missing the point made in the review. There is nothing wrong with making offensive jokes, but without a punchline or some clear satire/parody it just becomes offensive for the sake of being offensive. Alex clearly states that the Family Guy TV series generally manages to successfully cross the line in to satire and parody, elevating the otherwise offensive material in to something more than just misdirected hatred, BUT, that the game's writing is not carefully enough crafted to portray the same effect. I am willing to bet that the people who have said that he is calling out Family Guy fans as racists/misogynists/etc. have not played this game and so have no right to say whether the writing and humour is the same. I am also willing to bet that they had no intention of buying it and just wanted to vent their completely unfounded abuse.

Posted by lordgodalming

Step aside, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. This is the best one star review I've ever read. Cheers, Alex.

Posted by dropabombonit

This the best review of this game since the OXM review

Posted by IronRinn

Great review. Is Alex going to ever get more than the single portrait for his reviews, like the rest of the crew? He writes more of them than anyone else at this point.

Edited by mutha3
@ThePantheon said:

Sorry, why did you review this Alex?

I understand Giant Bomb does QLs of trash games for fun at times, but never actual reviews.

Why did you even bother?

I dunno, I thought  that was pretty funny to read!
Posted by TheBigAristotle

Gotta love a classic Alex Navarro bad game evisceration