186 Comments
  • 186 results
Edited by derry2010

Yay!

Also, Far Cry looks awesome.

Posted by smitty86

5 Stars? Can't say I saw that coming. Well done Far Cry.

Posted by Mijati

Might have to pick this up once I get a new graphics card at the end of the month, luckily around the time of steam sales so might even be able to pick it up a bit cheaper than full price.

Posted by MasturbatingestBear

There is now officially more games that I want to play than time that I have. This sucks. Gonna have to wait a little bit.

Posted by Elow

Might have to pick this up!

Posted by Lumley

Wow, definitely need to get this! Shame I'll be playing the 360 version though - I don't currently have a PC, only a laptop.

Posted by AMyggen

Yeah, without spoiling anything I can say that the ending for this game is a bit...dissapointing. It's still extremely fun to just fuck around in the world though, and it's the most purely fun game I've played all year.

Posted by Colourful_Hippie

I figured Jeff was doing the review and I had a feeling that the game's story wouldn't hold up at the end oh well.

Posted by MrViral

The review sounds a little more like a 4 star than a 5. Guess the good overshadowed the minor problems Brad had? Still, if I had a Gaming-ready PC, I'd pick this up straightaway.

Posted by BeachThunder

I look forward to picking this up eventually.

Posted by TAFAE

There's a neat story justification for all this, with a lengthy CG cutscene setting the whole campaign up, and the ."

Posted by BaconGames

Great game, great villain, shitty story, got it.

Posted by CaLe

I think this game is good and worthy of 5 stars, but I'm already tired of it and don't wanna load it up again.

Posted by Video_Game_King

To be fair, Brad, can you name any other game where you can hunt tigers, crash hang gliders, and stab pirates?

Posted by Tordah

I'm honestly surprised to see that this game turned out as well as to be worthy 5 stars, but I'm glad it did.

Edited by mrfluke

once the villians are fantastic then im good if the story is middling, as really? who is going to remember jason brody, even with the arc that character will go through

i think even ubisoft knew this at the end, hence why vaas is the coverboy for the game.as character wise this game will be remembered for vaas.

Posted by avantegardener

I was so meh about this all the way up to the quick look, then suddenly it became must have game for christs birthday.

Posted by jozzy

Been playing the game for a couple of days now and I completely agree with the criticisms, and also the end score. In the category "Fun", this game wins game of the year for me. (The Walking Dead wins the category "Engaging")

Posted by CornBREDX

"There's a neat story justification for all this, with a lengthy CG cutscene setting the whole campaign up, and the ."

And the what? AHHH I MUST KNOW! haha jk jk, but seriously your sentence trailed off there.

I enjoyed reading this. Really looking forward to eventually playing this game.

Posted by Titl

This game is the most fun i've had in with a videogame in a long time! pretty much GOTY for me, after The Walking Dead.

Edited by CornBREDX

Woops something weird going on. Sorry for double posting

Posted by civid

man, between Vaas and Clem the Best New Character award this year is going to be fucking INTENSE

Posted by mbr2

Bad menus, gimmicky crafting, unintentionally hilarious story, writing and characters keep trying to be serious, annoying notifications all the time that you can't turn off. 5/5 stars.

Posted by murisan

@mbr2 said:

Bad menus, gimmicky crafting, unintentionally hilarious story, writing and characters keep trying to be serious, annoying notifications all the time that you can't turn off. 5/5 stars.

Opinions. how do they work?

Posted by NTM

@mbr2: The strengths must really outweigh the problems.

Posted by MjHealy

I'm gonna get the 360 version, you can't stop me! Looking to diving in when I get it for Christmas.

Posted by GioVANNI
@mbr2 said:

List only the things you dislike about the game.  5/5
Posted by RecSpec

Sounds like a great open-world  game. Bummed that the story isn't fantastic, but then again, not surprised. 

Posted by Oni

@smokyexe: DUDE. Don't post spoilers like that in the review comments, you ass!

Posted by Dylabaloo

@smokyexe: Thank you for spoilers. Everyone who wants to enjoy the game spoiler free, avoid this comment.

Posted by Brad

@mbr2 said:

Had more fun with it than anything else this year. 5/5 stars.

Feel free to write your own user review.

Staff
Posted by bkbroiler

well, fuck.

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

If Saint's Row the Third was in a dead heat for GotY with its ending, Far Cry 3 should do at least that well.

Edited by KoolAid

@MrViral said:

The review sounds a little more like a 4 star than a 5. Guess the good overshadowed the minor problems Brad had? Still, if I had a Gaming-ready PC, I'd pick this up straightaway.

I dunno, he said this was almost shoo-in for GOTY and will likely be a heavy contender still. I read it as he was ready to give the game 6 stars if not for his story hangups.

Posted by CommodoreGroovy

I've been playing this game recently. Most of this review is pretty much on the money, but the one thing that this game lacks are good side quests. All of the side quests I've done in the game just feel half-assed; most are just fetch quests that require you to find three objects in the distance, or occasionally, you get more unique side quests, but they still don't reward the player with any decent feeling of a narrative or gameplay accomplishment. It's just like, "oh thanks for finding those for me, here's 500 dollars." It feels like just another way in the game to get money, not a meaningful impact for you or your character in the game world.

Just imagine side quests on the level of say, the elder scrolls series, plus unlocking something unique for one of your weapons each time you complete a side quest -- like a unique skin or attachment. Now that would be pretty great.

Posted by Zeik

@MrViral said:

The review sounds a little more like a 4 star than a 5.

Yeah, that's the impression I got from it too, but maybe it's just me. Squandered story potential is a much bigger deal to me than some.

Posted by blacklab

Some words got accidentally in the 4th to last 'graph.

Posted by mellotronrules

while it is greatly disheartening to hear the game doesn't really deliver on the bro-festival (brostival?) of the opening, it looks like i'll be getting this on steam.

Posted by VisariLoyalist

This game performs so flawlessly on pc. The framerate is around 30 fps maxed out (excluding anti aliasing) on my machine but it still feels smooth to play even if the visuals sometimes get a little choppy and it's gorgeous looking.

Posted by Oni

@smokyexe: Yeah, well, it just isn't cool. Good on you for removing it so quickly though. Just, be tactful, y'know? Start a spoiler topic or something if you want to have that kind of discussion.

Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles

Getting my copy later today

Edited by MeatSim

If it's a well made open world sandbox game. Then I can look past a disappointing story.

Posted by Dylabaloo

@smokyexe said:

@Oni: @Dylabaloo: Really? Is that a surprise? What did you expect? An original outcome for a ...? I'm really sorry then.

I really am tho. I deleted the comment.

As Oni mentioned this isn't the place for that kind of discussion, people (like me in this case) usually come to reviews when they are undecided whether they want the game and seeing your comment just took all the surprise out the story. To the point where I'm reconsidering purchasing it; next time use a spoiler tag.

Posted by Little_Socrates

said:

If the story had made good on the strength of its initial premise, Far Cry 3 would have been shoo-in for best game of the year.

The Walking Dead for Giant Bomb's Game of the Year, everybody!

Edited by SpiderJerusalem

"If the story had made good on the strength of its initial premise, Far Cry 3 would have been shoo-in for best game of the year. As it stands, it's still the most fun I've had in an open world in ages, a game that plays so well and looks so good, I wish every other piece of it reached the same high bar. But you should play it anyway."

...Yet you gave the game a perfect score? The story stuff later in the game seemed to bother you quite a lot, at least enough to prevent you from giving the game five stars.

Sometimes I just don't understand you, Brad.

Posted by buft

shockingly good score, I did not expect this a few months back

Posted by wrecks

This game is RADICAL!

Posted by lockload

Brad, the tattoos are what has helped his transformation from average joe to gunslinger this is mentioned pretty much as soon as he wakes up after getting his first tattoo

Posted by Captain_Insano

@SpiderJerusalem said:

"If the story had made good on the strength of its initial premise, Far Cry 3 would have been shoo-in for best game of the year. As it stands, it's still the most fun I've had in an open world in ages, a game that plays so well and looks so good, I wish every other piece of it reached the same high bar. But you should play it anyway."

...Yet you gave the game a perfect score? The story stuff later in the game seemed to bother you quite a lot, at least enough to prevent you from giving the game five stars.

Sometimes I just don't understand you, Brad.

I feel that you (and many others) misunderstand GB's gaming system. 5/5 is not a 'perfect' score. It simply means that you should/must play that game. 4/5 means the game is pretty good and should play, 3/5 it's alright, you might want to play etc.

That's why I like and trust GB's rating system.

• 186 results