186 Comments
  • 186 results
Posted by ShakeItBaby

I beat this game in like 3 days and I haven't done that in years, this game was really fun

Posted by smcn

Man, this game was great until the second island. It really feels like they added it because they needed to hit some arbitrary content numbers. By the time I got there, there was nothing left to craft and I had every skill and weapon I wanted. Ultimately I stopped playing because I had a feeling they could never deliver on the crazy acid trip of a story... Guess I was right.

Posted by Kraznor

Video Game criticism. To paraphrase, a third of the game is weak, the story is unsatisfying and ends on a poor note, never justifying its very premise of a college-aged douche becoming an expert survivalist, but hey, perfect score.

Also, going to be one of those guys, you clearly didn't get Far Cry 2 to speak of it so. Killing people in a perpetual conflict in Africa isn't SUPPOSED to be fun. More men would likely be stationed at an outpost if it was attacked, for one, and the nature of the story in that game supported that mechanic. Its not fun, its war. That game also did a ton for system-derived storytelling with its buddy system, resulting in a much more personalized narrative experience. Bold experiments are inherently more interesting to me than derivative, fun-at-all-costs sandbox murder sims like this one, so I shall disregard your final word of advice and skip this one.

Posted by KittyVonDoom

It's not a shoo-in for Game of the Year? Well, you know we're all going to judge you and question your ability as a professional journalist if it doesn't win. Because that's how it works, right?

Posted by Nerolus

This game has amazing voice acting. A complete 180 from Far Cry 2, which isn't saying much since it was some of the worst voice acting I had ever encountered in a video game. The acting in this game is just great. I totally agree about the villain, Vaas. My only complaint is that I wish there were more of him in the game.

Posted by Brad

@Kraznor: You invalidate your entire argument by complaining about a "perfect score."

Edited by Death_Burnout

@murisan said:

@mbr2 said:

Bad menus, gimmicky crafting, unintentionally hilarious story, writing and characters keep trying to be serious, annoying notifications all the time that you can't turn off. 5/5 stars.

Opinions. how do they work?

Oh I don't know, if you don't find the constant notifications and hand-holding annoying, I guess you would be part of the problem.

I feel most of my problems with this game could be fixed with a single ini. file

@Nerolus said:

This game has amazing voice acting. A complete 180 from Far Cry 2, which isn't saying much since it was some of the worst voice acting I had ever encountered in a video game. The acting in this game is just great. I totally agree about the villain, Vaas. My only complaint is that I wish there were more of him in the game.

Err...that's what made it great, it wasn't voice acting! It sounded completely real, it was unparalleled. Aside from the main characters, this game truly has some terrible voice acting, the guards have about 5 lines. Far Cry 2 had outstanding guard communication.

Posted by trolipo3

@Kraznor said:

Video Game criticism. To paraphrase, a third of the game is weak, the story is unsatisfying and ends on a poor note, never justifying its very premise of a college-aged douche becoming an expert survivalist, but hey, perfect score.

Also, going to be one of those guys, you clearly didn't get Far Cry 2 to speak of it so. Killing people in a perpetual conflict in Africa isn't SUPPOSED to be fun. More men would likely be stationed at an outpost if it was attacked, for one, and the nature of the story in that game supported that mechanic. Its not fun, its war. That game also did a ton for system-derived storytelling with its buddy system, resulting in a much more personalized narrative experience. Bold experiments are inherently more interesting to me than derivative, fun-at-all-costs sandbox murder sims like this one, so I shall disregard your final word of advice and skip this one.

mlp avatar

Posted by Toxin066

Liked what I saw in the QL, liked what I read in the review, sold on Far Cry 3.

Posted by prestonhedges

Video game reviewers love busywork.

Posted by BillyMethers

This game isn't a 5 star game. The audio production is poor and it's not the smoothest running game around. The story is mediocre and I just don't see how this is worth 5 Stars. The villain does some good acting but that's about it.

This game is only worth 3 or 3.5 stars (not even a full 4 but I know they dont do half stars)

Posted by envane

Ultimately, Far Cry 3 left me a little conflicted. ... fuck it 5 stars

Posted by FesteringNeon

AHHHH Spoilers. If you've watched the QL, don't read Brads tagline for the review!!! grrrrrrrrrr

Party foul Mr. Shoemaker, grab me a beer.

Posted by warxsnake
@Death_Burnout said:

Err...that's what made it great, it wasn't voice acting! It sounded completely real, it was unparalleled. Aside from the main characters, this game truly has some terrible voice acting, the guards have about 5 lines. Far Cry 2 had outstanding guard communication.

Umm, sure, yeah... totally.
Edited by xite

It sounds like the issues with the story should've cost this game a star. Most of the hype I gave the game was that the story would deliver. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

@Kraznor said:

Every game needs to be fun. At all costs. You're deluded, sorry.

Posted by MattGrant

I have to say that I am interested, particularly given the vehemence of Brad's review; but he also sold Far Cry 2 really well and I hated that game.

Posted by TheSouthernDandy

@Kraznor said:

Yeah totally, videogames shouldn't be fun, they should be a grind. Cause that makes SO much sense. FC2 was a good game but those checkpoints were a major misstep and killed any momentum that game had. It had nothing to do with immersing you in the experience of African conflict. It was just shitty design.

Posted by Andy_117

@xite said:

It sounds like the issues with the story should've cost this game a star. Most of the hype I gave the game was that the story would deliver. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

@Kraznor said:

Every game needs to be fun. At all costs. You're deluded, sorry.

I disagree. Kind of. I think a game can focus inherently on story, on emotion... hell, Walking Dead? Heavy Rain? I don't think a game needs to be "fun," but I think a game needs to be enjoyable. You can enjoy horror, you can enjoy heaviness of narrative, even if you wouldn't say you're enjoying it in the same way you would, like, a puzzle, or a toy. You won't say you're having "fun" with The Walking Dead, but you could say you're engrossed in it, that you're being entertained by it, even as you're making terrible shades-of-shit decisions.

Far Cry 2 might not want to be "fun" in the sense that it's placing you into a war-torn Africa to be immersed. It's true. That can be entertaining. Far Cry 2's problem is that it's also boring.

Posted by The_Nubster
"a real, honest-to-God video game" -Bradley Shoemaker, Anime Editor

Back-of-the-box.

Posted by DeltaDreamer

This is going to be text so of course it would sound like a bitching little internet buttwad but I in no way mean it that way. Brad, from what you and Jeff said on December 4th's podcast that the ending was a let down. You made a very large case that this game's story partly ruined your overall feeling for the game. Then how can that get a 5 star rating? a 4 sure, but a full 5? to me that means the game has little to no issues what so ever. The story not being the best to me is a larger issue than something simple like a texture looks odd in one level.

Again not at all trying to be snarky and an ass, I just am a bit confused.

Posted by Fawkes

I haven't played enough to say much about anything in the review other than yes it does look good.

I don't like the menus on PC, might try playing with a controller just because of how shitty they are. And the ability to look around in some cutscenes is pretty awful with the mouse too, not even sure why it's a thing. Unless the main character is supposed to be inebriated or doing an impression of D'Lo Brown.

Also this Uplay thing is still bad, I wish they would give up already.

Posted by CSat

I have never been able to run a PC game as well or with as many options maxed as Far Cry 3. It is stunning.

Edited by Terjay
Posted by outerabiz

@DeltaDreamer said:

This is going to be text so of course it would sound like a bitching little internet buttwad but I in no way mean it that way. Brad, from what you and Jeff said on December 4th's podcast that the ending was a let down. You made a very large case that this game's story partly ruined your overall feeling for the game. Then how can that get a 5 star rating? a 4 sure, but a full 5? to me that means the game has little to no issues what so ever. The story not being the best to me is a larger issue than something simple like a texture looks odd in one level.

i feel the same way about the ending and some of the plot stuff, but it's a solid playing and really fun open world game and easily one of my top 10 games this year. Kinda like sleeping dogs. Also i believe on the GB scale 5/5 isn't a perfect game, but a game you would go YEAH! when talking about.

Posted by Tomlazy

Am loving this on the 360

Posted by OneManX

@outerabiz said:

@DeltaDreamer said:

i feel the same way about the ending and some of the plot stuff, but it's a solid playing and really fun open world game and easily one of my top 10 games this year. Kinda like sleeping dogs. Also i believe on the GB scale 5/5 isn't a perfect game, but a game you would go YEAH! when talking about.

There is just WAAAAAAYYYYY more than just the story. And it's not like the story is... awful, the ending just happens and ends. But everything else just sounds awesome.

Posted by Korolev

I absolutely hated Far Cry 2. I really like Far Cry 3, because it fixed virtually all the crap that was in Far Cry 2 while preserving the few good bits of Far Cry 2. It's not a perfect game, but this 5 star review is justly deserved.

Edited by Luck702

Aww, I was really hoping the story would maintain its quality. I'm about 7 hours in and just hit that string of fetch quests Brad mentioned. He's not wrong, they're by far the most monotonous sections of the game so far.

Posted by Sooty

A little surprised at the remark about the graphics when Crysis still looks better, so it's not really a case of games only looking like this "now".

Posted by Zippedbinders

Cor blimey, THIS is why I stopped reading comments on staff reviews.

Anyway, great to know you loved it Brad. I've been hearing mixed things on how all of the story winds up, but I'll definitely have to see it for myself.

Edited by Incapability

I think 5 stars is overreaching. The game is a kick-ass time with only a few exceptions, right up until the point where you start the story.

The story made me want to slit my own throat - it was so grotesquely bad, I didn't even have adequate words. 5 stars seems willfully ignorant of that, reviewing the product not as a whole, but taking only the best parts into account. Not to mention, when the checkpointing didn't work, it was soul crushingly bad. It was awful. And again, something mostly related to the story.

Oh, and the really gross racial implications with the characters in that game. Dark-skinned pirates with bad accents who all have gonorrhea, dropping "meth pipes" and "cocaine packets" while professional white, well-off mercenary dudes drop things like "toothpaste" and "chocolate bar."

The racial bullshit is thick in that game.

Posted by honkyjesus

You guys are handing out fives like spare change.

Posted by Bell_End

@honkyjesus said:

You guys are handing out fives like spare change.

name the 5/5 this year then.

Posted by Sharpless

I honestly can't believe we're still having these conversations about review scores. Unless there is some great scandal to be found here, why do any of us care? Five-out-of-five stars does not imply that a game is perfect. Every game that gets the highest possible rating from a video game website has flaws. There is no such thing as a flawless game. (WWE '13 not withstanding.) No reviewer in their right mind would ever seriously suggest that there is. You might rate a game using different criteria, your opinion of a game might be completely opposed to Brad's. That doesn't invalidate anything about this review. Just accept that your mileage may vary.

Posted by GunsAreDrawn

I'm still not sold, I just think this will end up being another Sleeping Dogs. 90 on metacritic usually means its crap; see Mass Effect 3, Black Ops 1, Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, etc...

Posted by Death_Burnout

@warxsnake: I, umm, sure, yeah. I have no clue what you're getting at. Opinions, how do they work?

Posted by Bell_End

@GunsAreDrawn said:

I'm still not sold, I just think this will end up being another Sleeping Dogs. 90 on metacritic usually means its crap; see Mass Effect 3, Black Ops 1, Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, etc...

but none of those games are crap?

Edited by whitespider

I hate the follow the leader mentality of the internet (nothing I can do about it other than this post, I understand that). To elaborate what I mean - Mass Effect 3 had what many considered a disappointing ending to a series known for it's storytelling. On a base level I totally get why there was outrage - however the majority of the experience was an extremely solid - in my opinion. And the core game is rarely mentioned by these anger infused, viewpoint elongated -internet people-. It's like someone performs a single misstep in this industry and they are doomed to a single judgement because someone, somewhere, on some messageboard threw the first stone.

Farcry 3 also has incredible story promise, and ultimately fails at the end - and it's an incredible game regardless. People are far too magnetic with their influence these days. We need to have opinions that and less about 'group mentality' and more about sitting alone in a theater and saying "yeah, I liked southland tales, i really did. Why? Because I liked it. That's why."

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

Does the 5 star stand for consoles too?

Posted by Anupsis

After the way they talked about it, isn't saying the story doesn't come together a massive spoiler in a way? Basically says the story doesn't become self aware or whatnot, at least don't put it in the title, I'm a little pissed off about this.

Posted by Spongetwan

Having alot of fun with the game so far. Still getting the hang of it. i cant just run and gun at this point. Cant wait to get my stealthy perks up

Posted by dropabombonit

Great review, putting this off to Christmas but seems like an awesome game. Any word on the PS3 version? Only option I have got

Posted by MysteriousBob

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Does the 5 star stand for consoles too?

"This review is for the PS3 and X360 and PC release of Far Cry 3."

I guess so.

Posted by ProfessorEss

@Brad said:

Had more fun with it than anything else this year.

That would be the long and short of it for me. Story can be damned when I'm having this much fun with a game's world and mechanics.

Far Cry 3 is this year's Just Cause 2, an easy Game of the Year call for me.

Posted by Castigatore

Great review!
I' m currently playing the game and I agree pretty much wirh Brad! The game is awesome and it runs smoothly on my mid 2010 Macbook Pro with bootcamp! Obviously the settings are on love but still it is visually great! I'm really surprised!

Posted by mrcraggle

@Bourbon_Warrior: It's hard to really assume as Brad was pretty blunt on the Bombcast about the 360 version being shit. I guess at the core, the game is awesome for what it does despite the technical issues.

Posted by Beb

@Anupsis said:

After the way they talked about it, isn't saying the story doesn't come together a massive spoiler in a way? Basically says the story doesn't become self aware or whatnot, at least don't put it in the title, I'm a little pissed off about this.

Feels more like an anti-spoiler to me. Like, does telling you I'm not throwing you a surprize party ruin the party I am not throwing you?

Posted by Luck702

Scores don't matter people. Read the review, listen to the opinion being expressed. I hate that people feel they have to quantize everything to help it make sense to them. I wish there was no rating system, just the opinion of the reviewer.

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

@ProfessorEss said:

@Brad said:

Had more fun with it than anything else this year.

That would be the long and short of it for me. Story can be damned when I'm having this much fun with a game's world and mechanics.

Far Cry 3 is this year's Just Cause 2, an easy Game of the Year call for me.

Its this years Skyrim for me, hoping someone mods in a hardcore survival mode like FC2. 1 life, limited ammo, how many camps can you liberate. Or a Day Z mod in Far Cry 3 with zombie animals would be sweet.

Edited by Advancedcaveman

I feel the biggest problem with Far Cry 3 is that it's not Turok. Imagine the same game, but with dinosaurs and aliens and monsters and crazy sci fi weapons.

All those random encounters where a tiger jumps out of nowhere and starts attacking everyone? Imagine if it was a dinosaur. With a gun on its face. And then you shoot it with a gun that fires electric bees or something.

And then Vaas rides around on a T-rex and yells "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS? CAN YOU HEAR ME OVER THE ROARING?"

• 186 results