88 Comments
  • 88 results
Posted by PulledaBrad

ALEX HAS BEEN SWAYED BY MCV!

Posted by radioactivez0r

Reviews seem all over the place for this right now. Will check it out later, after I've tried Blood Money.

Posted by pompouspizza

I got the game a day early, huge Hitman fan and I'm loving it, although my OCD is driving me crazy so i feel like I'm always restarting checkpoints because I can't be seen by anyone.

Posted by beepmachine

Agent 47's eyebrows are OUT OF CONTROL.

Posted by Phatmac

Those stupid sexy nuns are realllllly making it difficult for me to buy this game.

Posted by jimmyfenix

oh hell yeah

Posted by UberExplodey

Yay!

Posted by Oni

Playing this in an hour or so when it unlocks over here, very curious now with all the mixed reviews. I'm in the "played Blood Money an insane amount of time" camp, as my S-Rank will attest. I love the free-form nature of it, and this sounds less so from what I've heard.

Posted by mracoon

The reviews for this game are so mixed. I'll probably get it when it's a lower price because I don't have time to play it anytime soon.

Posted by TzarStefan

I fucking love this game <3

Posted by Nictel

Seems you either love the good parts so much that they overcome the bad parts. Or you hate the bad parts so much that nothing can fix it. Will know for myself in about a day.

Posted by Incapability

Ever since the first game, I've been a big fan of the series. I'm looking forward to trying this newest installment - my impression is, that either the most, or the most outspoken, of the fan base is allergic to both innovation and fun, though.

I think this was a well-written review, one of the better ones I've read. Regardless of what the game turns out to be when I get my hands on it, I'm convinced I'm going to have fun with it.

Posted by LKPOWER

It unlocks for me on steam in a few hours I can't wait!!!

Posted by DeF

@Phatmac said:

Those stupid sexy nuns are realllllly making it difficult for me to buy this game.

if you're buying this because of anything related to story you're buying it for the wrong reasons. the mission "puzzle" is what this series is all about.

Posted by Ghost_Cat

If I'm not mistaken, the whole world always had mix feelings of each Hitman title. It's just a really unique game that players love and wishing it did something differently. In the end, they all have a signature feel of cat-and-mouse gameplay that is fun, no matter what changes IO made, or how they go about plot and structure.

Posted by dropabombonit

Good review. My copy should show up tomorrow, got it for £31 off shopto

Posted by fox01313

Good review Alex, will definitely be checking this one out as was going to wait for reading a bunch of the reviews to see how it is. Wonder what Ryan will think of this & probably find out on the bombcast.

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

Conan already sold me on this with the "IM A SCARECROW IN A FIELD MOTHERFUCKER!"

Posted by Phatmac

@DeF said:

@Phatmac said:

if you're buying this because of anything related to story you're buying it for the wrong reasons. the mission "puzzle" is what this series is all about.

I'm buying it for sure. Those stupid nuns are just making it difficult for me to be okay with my purchase.

Posted by Branthog

All the stuff I've read about Hitman has been contrary to the few statements I've read saying about how you get so much variety and choice and player-agency in this game.

In fact, the sentiment over the weekend from reviews I'd read were pretty much "holy shit, this game pretty much takes the choices away from you, puts the weapons it wants you to use in the locations it conveniently wants you to use them and playing any way other than stealthy is not condoned by the game and is countered by negative scoring".

Can someone explain the absolutely bi-polar reviews from the overall gaming community on this? I dont' mean "why do some love it and some dont", but "why do some say the game has exactly the features others say it is lacking"?

Posted by tourgen

great! Thanks for the review. I'm going to pick this up now. It sounds like fun

Posted by x0mb13

I like to see that there is a divide in reviews for this game. Most of the negative reviews I am reading are complaining about the story or how boring and frustrating the stealth action is. This actually excites me, I was worried this game would be focus tested into just another action shooter the way the last Splinter Cell was. If people are bitching about the stealth that probably means it is still challenging and that's what I come to this game for. After Splinter Cell completely killed itself I was worried we wouldn't get anymore of these types of stealth games.

Posted by Devildoll

As long as the silent assassin award is still proper, I'm in.

anyone know how that's handled in this game? i mean, can you kill a lot of innocents and still get it ? or is it like the prior games where you have to be a ninja?

Posted by Sylinder

Already got burned on Max Payne 3 and that made me want to never ever buy another " one of these" games again.

Posted by RVonE

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Conan already sold me on this with the "IM A SCARECROW IN A FIELD MOTHERFUCKER!"

That was fantastic!

Posted by DystopiaX

@Branthog said:

All the stuff I've read about Hitman has been contrary to the few statements I've read saying about how you get so much variety and choice and player-agency in this game.

In fact, the sentiment over the weekend from reviews I'd read were pretty much "holy shit, this game pretty much takes the choices away from you, puts the weapons it wants you to use in the locations it conveniently wants you to use them and playing any way other than stealthy is not condoned by the game and is countered by negative scoring".

Can someone explain the absolutely bi-polar reviews from the overall gaming community on this? I dont' mean "why do some love it and some dont", but "why do some say the game has exactly the features others say it is lacking"?

Some dude at some website whose name I forget wrote this really long thing about how the guy who wrote the PC Gamer review didn't know what he was talking about and listed some specific things (doors leaving missions as goals was in Blood Money too, checkpointing is only on the easy difficulty etc.). Although really I think that you should probably just watch a mission or two play out and see for yourself.

Posted by Iceland

@Sylinder said:

Already got burned on Max Payne 3 and that made me want to never ever buy another " one of these" games again.

"One of these"? A third person shooter?

Posted by Rekt_Hed

You know what I'm actually just really happy that Alex finally got a decent game to review! Lord knows he deserves it after all the shit sandwiches hes had to eat this year.

Posted by kayeyeeff

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

This is when I knew I wanted to buy this game. It looks fun as hell, even if it might not be ~*the perfect hitman experience*~

Posted by DickSocrates

Has there been a game with such mixed reviews in recent times? Amazing. RPS and PC Gamer HATE it while fondly remembeirng Blood Money. I loved BM, on PS2 of all places so I have a feeling this version is not for me.

Edited by Bourbon_Warrior

@Sylinder said:

Thats like saying you got burned on a Train Simulator so you were never going to buy another Kart Racer again, Hitman and Max Payne are completely different games.

@Phatmac said:

@DeF said:

@Phatmac said:

I'm buying it for sure. Those stupid nuns are just making it difficult for me to be okay with my purchase.

Are you Catholic or something?

Posted by GaspoweR
Alex's Review:
"...also paid Emma Stone to voice a barely-remembered girlfriend character in Sleeping Dogs..."

Meanwhile, after reading this in a dwelling somewhere... Rorie quietly weeps in front of his monitor.

Posted by ProfessorEss

@RVonE said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

That was fantastic!

Fantastic indeed.

Posted by Mr_Skeleton

What is this? The staff give Alex a good game to review, what is the world coming to?!

Edited by Bourbon_Warrior

@kayeyeeff said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

This is when I knew I wanted to buy this game. It looks fun as hell, even if it might not be ~*the perfect hitman experience*~

That's why I buy games, to have fun. Like running down a road in AC3 seeing 2 guards in a corner having a chat run up to them double wrist blades to throats, smoke bomb and run away.

Edited by deerokus

The strange thing here is I've noticed a solid divide between US and UK reviewers here. Odd.

@Devildoll said:

As long as the silent assassin award is still proper, I'm in.

anyone know how that's handled in this game? i mean, can you kill a lot of innocents and still get it ? or is it like the prior games where you have to be a ninja?

There's one mission which you can see on Youtube where you get Silent Assassin for an extremely non-silent kill.

Posted by DaSmart1

Finally a review that seems to understand how the game is supposed to be played unlike GT and Gamespot complaining about how hard it is to go through guns blazing the whole time.

Posted by OneKillWonder_

Great review, Alex. I've never been too invested in this series, but I have enjoyed them in the past, and I loved the hell out of Hitman 2 when I played it years ago. The negative things I've heard about Absolution don't bother me all that much and I'm looking forward to getting this tomorrow.

Posted by Sammo21

Game seems to be divisive based on all the reviews I'm seeing. I know Alex's taste and we don't seem to be far off. Maybe I'll try and pick this up as a 1 day rental before I decide to buy. Hitman games, for me, seem to last a while as I trend to replay each mission dozens of times to see what I could do differently.

Posted by august

I've barely played the Hitman games, but doesn't he have a conscience in Hitman 2 at least? He spends that whole game trying to save his priest buddy.

Posted by Strife777

You would probably have mentionned it if you had, but have you tried the PC version? If so, how does it compare?

I already pre-ordered it on steam but I'm curious.

Posted by AuthenticM

Please tell me the plot points discussed in the review happen in the opening of the game and are thus not spoilers.

Edited by Bistromath

Square-Enix+Nixxes has been on a tear with well realized PC versions of their games. I like supporting that so it can continue.

Plus, their games are good.

Posted by Jrinswand

Well, I may have been skeptical about whether or not I'd like Hitman: Absolution, but Alex's review was just what I needed to decide whether or not I'd purchase the game and play it for myself. Thanks, .

Posted by Scratch

Seems like a decent game. I don't believe this will as satisfying as Blood Money was back when I played it. That however is not going to stop me for playing it. Looking forward to getting into it this weekend.

Edited by Nettacki
@x0mb13: I think some of the people are bitchy about the stealth because it's a different kind of stealth than what they're used to. Instead of "hiding in plain sight" like in previous Hitmans, you are instead doing the standard "hiding behind a wall until the guard turns his back" stuff.

Case in point:

Posted by RE_Player1

The hunter has become the hunted...

Posted by CommanderZx2

@Phatmac said:

@DeF said:

@Phatmac said:

Stuff like that has always been in Hitman games. For example check the Heaven and Hell level from Blood Money:

Be sure to check out the Angels wearing practically nothing.

Posted by Manhattan_Project

@AuthenticM said:

Please tell me the plot points discussed in the review happen in the opening of the game and are thus not spoilers.

Yep.

Posted by SpiderJerusalem

My review boils down to this:

If you go in expecting a great game, you'll definitely get it. If you go in expecting a great Hitman game, you MIGHT be disappointed.

• 88 results