88 Comments
  • 88 results
Posted by FoxMulder

Sounds like it is a bit dissapointing, but there was no way I'd not play a Hitman game seeing it's been over six years!

Posted by Landon

Sometimes I forget Alex still exists.

Posted by SupberUber

Not sure if I wanna reward IO for messing with the core formula. Maybe steam sale. Then maybe not

Edited by bybeach

I like this review. All it really does is reinforce to me that it is a divisive franchise. I've only played Hitman 2, and love/hated it per mission. Overjoyed when I got to pull the assault rifles off the wall.....

So I may eventually get this game. And by other's standards, like it for the right or wrong reasons, Idk. But I'm pleased that it got a good review, particularly by this Reviewer. It must have some unique things going on....looks,style, this that (steam sale/couple bucks off..)

Posted by Draxyle

All the commotion around this has only made me want to try Blood Money. Never touched the franchise before, but I'm always up for checking out new stuff.

Posted by ThunderSlash

More like 5HITMAN. M I RITE GAIZ?! Wait... no? Awww.

Posted by AgentofChaos

I remember picking up Blood Money on a whim; that was one of the better gaming choices I've ever made. Great to see IO didn't shit the bed with Absolution.

Posted by Andy_117

@Draxyle said:

All the commotion around this has only made me want to try Blood Money. Never touched the franchise before, but I'm always up for checking out new stuff.

Reminded me that I have to actually install and play Blood Money. Damn you, Steam sales!

Posted by granderojo

I was really pissed about this game when I heard about the PC Gamer review, but this...this changes things. IO went and Hitman an exploitation film?

Posted by Christoffer

Hmm. I was hesitant to buy Hitman before I've read a bunch of reviews, especially before reading GB's. Seems it didn't do me any good since I'm even more hesitant now. Which tells me I deep down don't really want a gritty stealth game right now, or maybe ever. Sorry Agent 47, we've grown apart.

Great review though, I don't doubt it's a fine product.

Posted by Tennmuerti

Played a few starting levels myself today. Digging it.

This reads like a good balanced review. Alex does an excellent job yet again.

Posted by kalmis

I've played all the previous Hitman games so will be playing this as well. One day that is.

Posted by dudeglove

@Branthog: You can write entire essays (and people already have) on it, but it boils down to the fact that Absolution is just another product of the current state of game development (i.e. appealing to the lowest common denominator contards). In other words:

By pursuing a checkpointed QTE-ridden "interactive experience" narrative instead of remaining faithful to the previous titles' puzzle-like nature, the team at IO is trying to have its cake and eat it. Read through the creative director's twitter feed and you'll see exactly what his appalling vision was. Didn't help that those who worked on Blood Money likely moved on a long time ago either.

One of the greatest challenges when "rebooting" a franchise is the danger that by attempting to appeal to a new audience you risk alienating the old. The diverse reviews you've read are an example of this phenomenon. Now go and play Blood Money.

@CommanderZx2 said:

@Phatmac said:

@DeF said:

@Phatmac said:

Those stupid sexy nuns are realllllly making it difficult for me to buy this game.

if you're buying this because of anything related to story you're buying it for the wrong reasons. the mission "puzzle" is what this series is all about.

I'm buying it for sure. Those stupid nuns are just making it difficult for me to be okay with my purchase.

Stuff like that has always been in Hitman games. For example check the Heaven and Hell level from Blood Money:

Be sure to check out the Angels wearing practically nothing.

The party members dressed up as angels weren't targets unlike the S&M nuns. You might argue that one of the targets in that mission is dressed in a similar manner, but it's given context because she's masquerading as a singer at a swanky sexy party populated by rich socialites. The nuns' attire clearly stems from the creative director's obsession with Rodigruez' and Tarantino's idiotic grindhouse (that was popular, what, five years ago?) and is haphazardly explained with a throwaway line to the tune of "they were abused so that's why they dress like that!". Absolution has a completely vile specter of sexual violence hanging over it that previous games were never about.

Which brings me to my next point: why the fuck didn't Klepek review this?

Posted by dudeglove

@thabigred said:

I was really pissed about this game when I heard about the PC Gamer review, but this...this changes things. IO went and Hitman an exploitation film?

You mean you hadn't watched all the previous dev diaries and trailers?

Posted by derhoeness

Posted by NicolasVH

Is the game too hard on hard?

Posted by mbr2

So what I've gathered from reviews is: If the reviewer hasn't played Blood Money he/she thinks it's great and vice versa. So if you really liked Blood Money; Absolution might not be a game you like.

Posted by Eyz

I'm a big fan of the series - I CANNOT WAIT to play this game! I've been reading so much good for this new episode.

At least we'll enjoy one more IO Interactive's Hitman game.

Next one's gonna be handled 100% by Square Enix and their new studio in Montreal, with IO only having alittle supervising role... sigh..

Posted by ervonymous

@dudeglove said:

Such an obvious comparison and I completely missed it. I couldn't stand Conviction.

Posted by KlUMZeE

Whoo Hoo!, I'm so glad this game turned out to be good, I was worried after I started hearing about some mixed reviews, but this gives me confidence that it's definitely worth playing. Should be picking it up very soon. Thanks Alex!

Posted by Nightfang

The Nuns were bearably in the game, get over it already.

Posted by Pseudonymous

I've played every Hitman Title to date and the only thing that bothers me is there is no 1st person mode in Absolution. Other than that the little hiccup the game is amazing. Buy the game!! You will not regret it. Massive replay value and hours upon hours of perfecting your kill and escapes, a challenging game. Strive for the Silent Assassin Rating. Purist mode is the only way to play.

Posted by Shortbreadtom

Year of the 4-star?

Posted by Incapability

@dudeglove: Nice try, but at least play the game before you pull things out of your ass, OK?

Edited by Baal_Sagoth

I'm glad to see this game seems to be more divise than a wholesale slap in the face of old fans. I'm certainly going to play it at some point so I do intensely hope for quite a few redeeming qualities. That RPS WIT did sound very reasonable and not too thrilling though. I'm going to check out the QL, some LP episodes and then finally decide if it's worth full price to me.

Posted by JerichoBlyth

Bloody awful game. Especially on PC so far.

I demand a re-review. No way does this deserve a 4 star verdict. IO interactive have taken a plunge in quality over the past 3 years, they really have.

Posted by chilipeppersman

@Bourbon_Warrior: yea that was pretty hilarious XD

Posted by granderojo

@dudeglove said:

@thabigred said:

You mean you hadn't watched all the previous dev diaries and trailers?

Didn't know there were dev diaries. Watched the trailers though.

Posted by FoxMulder

Will probably pick this up sometime soon to play over winter break. Seems like it has just enough of the old Hitman gameplay to get me hooked. Still planning on hooking my Xbox to a CRT so I can play the old games again. Most of these games I just ended up playing for hours screwing around much like they did in the QL!

Posted by CraftySkills

woah alex actually gave a positive score to a non-indie game.

Posted by dubculture
Posted by Hunter5024

I like how Alex seemed to be under the impression that Vivica Fox is a get. She was in like one good movie.

Posted by Dovien

Haven't played Hitman in years, can't wait to try this one out c:

Posted by Pyrrhic

Good review, I just need to have a go at the game now.

Posted by Cleric22

@radioactivez0r: If you haven't picked it up yet, its 40$ on Amazon and at Gamestop now.