80 Comments
  • 80 results
Edited by Lydian_Sel

Lovin it!!

You should also include Piracy "Peer-acey"

Posted by DanielJW
@Lydian_Sel: Thank you sir, I've updated the list and made it look a little nicer. 
Posted by Gav47

This list is Blazin'    

Posted by Foggen

Batmin

Posted by DanielJW
@Foggen said:
" Batmin "
I don't know how to accommodate that. Really any super-being ending with "man" then becomes "min". Should I include all of the superheros because of this, or just make a note of it under my Spider Man entry? It seems too repetitive to all get their own entries.
Posted by dvorak

Add Batmin. Re: Lego Batmin. 

Also Megamin.

Posted by ahoodedfigure

Excellent list :)

Posted by DanielJW
@ahoodedfigure said:
" Excellent list :) "
Well thank ya'!
Posted by Snail

Awesome list is awesome.

Posted by Red12b
@Snail said:
" Awesome list is awesome. "
Fuck yea.
Posted by Video_Game_King

Sentence enhancer? You mean like this:

(Also, "you mean like this" is another SpongeBob reference. Does that make me a hypocrite?)

Posted by ColonelT

The origin of the "-min" must come from Superman: The Movie, and Marlon Brando's pronunciation of "Krypton" as "Kryp-TIN." Legend has it that Brando became fatigued during the delivery of a line and couldn't form the "-ton" without passing out, resulting in a "-tin" instead.

Ryan appears to have adopted it for other words, and I support him fully.

Edited by DanielJW
@Video_Game_King: It makes you a man worthy of being the first to point out that reference.  

@ColonelT: I too enjoy some good Ryan Davis etymology. 
Posted by Phished0ne

now, start updating the list with possible reasons why he pronounces things that way...obviously "Frah-gee-lay" is a reference to A Christmas Story..right?

Posted by DanielJW
@Phished0ne said:
" now, start updating the list with possible reasons why he pronounces things that way...obviously "Frah-gee-lay" is a reference to A Christmas Story..right? "
I would love to if I had the slightest idea. I could post in user ideas, like yours and ColnelT's. I'd credit the contributor, of course. 

I think I remember why he says sword the way he does, and I also remember a video where he mentioned the Ohio pronunciation. I should start digging.
Edited by Kevitte
@DanielJW said:

" @Phished0ne said:

" now, start updating the list with possible reasons why he pronounces things that way...obviously "Frah-gee-lay" is a reference to A Christmas Story..right? "
I would love to if I had the slightest idea. I could post in user ideas, like yours and ColnelT's.   
This is obviously a fair bit after A Christmas Story but I'm pretty sure I remember Homer Simpson saying "frah-gee-lay" at some point (although that itself could be a reference to ACS).
Posted by Phished0ne
@Kevitte said:
" @DanielJW said:

" @Phished0ne said:

I would love to if I had the slightest idea. I could post in user ideas, like yours and ColnelT's.   
This is obviously a fair bit after A Christmas Story but I'm pretty sure I remember Homer Simpson saying "frah-gee-lay" at some point (although that itself could be a reference to ACS). "
yeah well that point it just turns into a chain, Homer saying Frah-Gee-Lay would be a reference to ACS, so even if Ryan was referencing the simspons, in the end he would be referencing ACS......my head is going to explode..
Posted by DanielJW
@Kevitte: @Phished0ne: Accommodated. 
Posted by homewrecker

You should totally add "villain - vill-ayne"

Posted by Belonpopo

PokeMans.

Posted by DanielJW
@homewrecker: @Belonpopo: Updated for you folks.
Posted by homewrecker

Found a new one: "arrows - arriz"

Posted by Phished0ne

The Rocket Launcher one is a reference to the announcer in the Metal Slug games. it should also  be "Rawket Lawn-chair" .  

for an example of the pronounciation, goto  http://rocketlawnchair.ytmnd.com/  i am pretty sure that is the sfx from Metal Slug.

Posted by WholeFunShow
Posted by Sanryd

Vitamins with short "i" sounds.

Posted by DanielJW
@tdk08 said:
" Vitamins with short "i" sounds. "
Aw man, I can't believe I missed that one!
Posted by SuperfluousMoniker

Could Vit-ah-mins be an A Clockwork Orange reference?

Posted by DanielJW
@SuperfluousMoniker: I read the book and saw the movie, but I haven't a clue what you're referring to. 
Posted by SuperfluousMoniker
@DanielJW: It's probably just the British pronunciation of it. I haven't seen the movie recently enough to pinpoint an exact scene it's in, but I distinctly remember it being in there.
Posted by artofwar420

This is an excellent list, hope to see it updated often.

Posted by Crescendo1897

Needs segue = Seh-Goo-ey 

GDC 2010 day one

Posted by DanielJW
@Crescendo1897 said:
" Needs segue = Seh-Goo-ey  GDC 2010 day one "
Thank you, sir! Update incoming. 
Posted by Kagamine

Multi-pra-ya

Posted by DanielJW
@Kagamine said:
" Multi-pra-ya "
Updated. But out of curiosity, where does he say it like that? 
Posted by Xeiphyer

For the Upgrade one, could that be a reference to that Idiocracy movie?

Posted by Kagamine
Posted by DanielJW
@Xeiphyer said:
" For the Upgrade one, could that be a reference to that Idiocracy movie? "
I've seen Idiocracy, but I can't see where you're getting that from. Is there a specific quote in the movie?
Posted by Xeiphyer
@DanielJW: The girls pimp was named 'Upgrayedd' =P Just a guess though
Posted by DanielJW
@Xeiphyer: Ah! I remember that fellow. But I still don't think that's it. In the movie they seem to put more emphasis on the "AY" in his name, whereas Ryan drops it to an "ah".
Posted by onimonkii
@ColonelT said:
" The origin of the "-min" must come from Superman: The Movie, and Marlon Brando's pronunciation of "Krypton" as "Kryp-TIN." Legend has it that Brando became fatigued during the delivery of a line and couldn't form the "-ton" without passing out, resulting in a "-tin" instead.  Ryan appears to have adopted it for other words, and I support him fully. "
i always assumed it was saying it like you would a last name. like the name Bateman, you don't say it bate-man, you say it bate-min. so like saying "oh this is my good friend Ron Spiderman", at least that's how it's always sounded to me.
Posted by onimonkii

this week's bombcast: medal of honor was pronounced as medal of hah-nore

Posted by DanielJW
@onimonkii said:
" this week's bombcast: medal of honor was pronounced as medal of hah-nore "
Thank you! I must not have reached that point in the podcast yet, haha.
Posted by Wroth

Film - "Fil-um" - Clash of The Titans Quick Look, and I'm sure he's said it before.

Posted by EliminatoR

OMG good list,I loled at nr 16.
Posted by PatheticMan

Quick Look: Game Room for 08/18 featured one of my favourite verbal flourishes.... 'mans'.

Posted by natetodamax

Does him pronouncing Ubisoft "oobisoft" count?

Posted by DanielJW
@natetodamax said:
" Does him pronouncing Ubisoft "oobisoft" count? "
I wouldn't say so, because isn't that just how it's pronounced by the people in the studio?
Posted by MetalGearSunny
@DanielJW said:
" @natetodamax said:
I wouldn't say so, because isn't that just how it's pronounced by the people in the studio? "
Yeah, that's the correct punctuation of the name. 
Posted by natetodamax
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @DanielJW said:
" @natetodamax said:
I wouldn't say so, because isn't that just how it's pronounced by the people in the studio? "
Yeah, that's the correct punctuation of the name.  "
I refuse to believe that.
Posted by MetalGearSunny
@natetodamax said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @DanielJW said:
" @natetodamax said:
Yeah, that's the correct punctuation of the name.  "
I refuse to believe that. "
That's how it's pronounced. Look it up.
  • 80 results